Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Heath posted:

I cannot even conceive of what a LitRPG is supposed to be. It's it like a CYOA? with stats? I remember reading some of the Lone Wolf books as a kid but I doubt they're anything like that
It is a story that uses the specific language of formalized RPGs, meaning levels, hitpoints, stats, etc.

The work that started the current boom was iirc "The Gamer" a korean comic.
The system actually works OK in visual novels, with the stat block providing information at a glance, without harming the flow of the story.
It is also primarily a wuxia story, even though it has noticeable fantasy influences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Heath posted:

I looked up some examples of this and even as someone who has been brain poisoned by video games since basically day one I am utterly perplexed by this concept.

I think I get what it is but I don't get why.
Almost all proto-litRPGs and most interesting litRPGs are explicit parodies of games, often specific games. The hidden true villain is boring genre conventions, or the game mechanics themselves.

The second wave of litRPGs is also very strongly influenced by the emergence of VRMMO (happening inside a virtual world) stories.
Those are strongly influenced by the rise of e-sports, and the better ones are closer to the structure of a sports story then the structure of a SF adventure. The true villain is commodification.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about
I am saying that stat-blocks work well in games, work OK in visual novels and are absolutely terrible in actual novels/literature.
A lot of the current trends in pulp novels can't really be understood by only looking at novels.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

what is the best litrpg out there. recommend it to me and i will read it and i will not even make fun of you, the recommender, for having read enough litrpgs to gauge the current state of the field.

i am not doing this for fun but because i think there's like a 70% chance i could write one of these in my downtime and bring home 10k from nerds
I actually lost most of my interest into the genre around the time the term litrpg was coined. My personal interest was always very much tied in the idea of parodying games, so I can't interpret litrpgs as anything but comedy. So I can't really recommend a current or popular one.

The only one I remember as reaching the level of a average fantasy novel was Threadbare by Andrew Seiple. The sequel at least mentions how the appearance of character classes affects the class struggle, which sadly automatically moves it into the top tier.

I am looking forward to seeing the return to those biting and well reasoned critiques that made this thread great.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

Sorry, BotL was banned.
While he wrote most of those reviews in the old thread, he didn't write all of them. At least that is how I remember it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I feel like there is a trend -- for cheap wish-fulfillment fiction -- to give the main character an excuse for all his dumb and/or evil acts by letting him be super abused in his backstory.
This gets even more exaggerated by authors who don't want to see growing up poor as something that might impair the main character's life.

Somehow this trend has chosen the Four Yorkshire Men as an accurate description -- and style of description -- of how a bad childhood impacts a person.

Actually if the hyena piss rape happens during the actual story -- as opposed to a flashback or prologue -- it is a surprisingly reliable indicator of the story being above average.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Genre books also tend to be idea poor, as in, the author has several ideas that they stretch out over hundreds of pages. That makes it even funnier because you observe the worthless little man squirm to come up with a few unoriginal ideas and beam with pride for having done so instead of, I don’t know, learning how to write?
If you take a good genre author like Lem, you will see he can produce a lot more ideas than the norm. I already wrote about Lem’s Fiasco in this thread as an example of this - he comes up with hundreds of original speculative ideas lesser authors would kill to be able to claim as their own, and dismisses them in the same paragraph as meaningless musings of people trying to avoid the inescapable reality of the universe’s lack of meaning. Lem, of course, is not the only good genre authors, but I wouldn’t say there were more than a handful, and I’ve read a lot of genre fiction.
The strong focus on ideas seems to be primary the mark of science fiction.
Most good science fiction stories are short stories. Most mediocre science fiction stories are braids of several distinct short stories. Most bad science fiction stories have the plot of a short stories expanded into multiple volumes of meaningless filler.

The modern hybrid genre of S/F somehow ended up with the reliance on ideas of science fiction and the dearth of ideas per length that normally would imply an author relying on writing skill instead of ideas.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

CestMoi posted:

burn down the english departments
Yes, english is the language of speculative fiction and other youth culture. Nothing created in english can ever be art.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

That novel sounds like it follows in the tradition of Orientalism and euro-westerns and that general fake exoticism.
Where you have a description of exotic cultures written by white people who consider talking to anybody who as ever even been in that location to be a sin against literature.

I used to get recommended a lot of the old stuff by people who really hated S/F. And thus I do expect that people will recommend American Dirt as intrinsically superior to SF pulp.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Can you provide examples of the orientalist literature you've been recommended that you feel ought to be consigned to the trash heap because of their orientalism

Karl May mostly. I assume the English speaking world has its own counterparts.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The worst thing about Mein Kampf is, that it is so terribly written that you will be unable to call any other prose terrible for a significant amount of time.

Stick to his favorite novel "aryan superman and apache jesus punch out the wild west". It has barely above average prose by pulp standards. And it represents an interesting wave of western pulp that noticeably influenced German racism.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

derp posted:

Write a bunch of shorts that win or are nominated for awards and publishers will be way more likely to look twice at any book you write

With how pulp publishing is organized these days, they will look twice and then ask you to write a 30 book sequel to your short story instead.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I feel that comparisons are mostly a product of mass market focused advertising (or publishing or even planning). And occur in all media.

You can describe your work without using comparisons if you want to. But that requires the usage of technical vocabulary which limits your audience to a niche market, even if they understand the words they do not think that analyzing their own tastes so that they can vocalise what specific aspect of their favourites makes them their favourite is worth the effort.
If you want someone who doesn't think deeply about books/music/games/movies to be truly impacted by your marketing "like the other things you liked" is much more effective then a technical description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

What always confuses me is that authors that try to give games importance in their story without researching anything about the genre's development and high level play culture.
Be those CCGs or MMORPGs, any review of the quality of the game by real world standards would suggest that they should be embarrassing failures that nobody plays.

Especially with a recent* book about not-mtg. During the pandemic a lot of play shifted online, which exposed almost all mtg players to the different dynamics of playing when something is at stake. Which fundamentally alters the way people approach deckbuilding and shows every player a rough idea of how a deckbuilding game meta actually functions. And by something at stake I mean around 0.05$ of f2p rewards, which is entirely sufficient stakes to make online magic imitate a tournament.

*I presume it is recent, I do not think it deserves me looking this up.