Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That prose is obnoxious.

Ban genre fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Shut up about things that aren't books, not-book-talker.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Personally I think goldmine the old thread and treat this as a clean break.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Good genre fiction is an oxymoron. The term in itself means it's not good enough to be real fiction.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The word "genre" only has so much meaning. It's either a critical term or a marketing one. It doesn't really have much use as a marker of merit or quality because for any genre you can almost always find a work of fiction that has literary merit and fits the markers of the genre (e.g., fantasy : Tolkien (or The Tempest), mystery : Maltese Falcon, etc.)

Then explain the term literary fiction and how it is always contrasted with genre

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
You can’t blame literally everything on “capitalism exists”.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The thread can be fun.

It just needs content in it, instead of complaining.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Maybe he felt that fantasy was the ideal medium for expressing queer black male sexuality?
The only thing fantasy is the ideal medium for is sucking.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

all genre fiction is always bad

It is, though. And putting poo poo like superpowers or dragons or whatever into a story always ruins it. Real art doesn't have those things.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Do you have a competing analysis, or do I need to write an effortpost on genetic determinism in Jemisin's work?

Edit: gently caress autocorrect and I apologize.

This sounds interesting, go ahead and :justpost:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also the only characters that show any decency/are capable of being anything but villains are the ones rich enough to buy superpowers from the evil conspiracy that controls literally everything in the world (despite only being like six people)

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Clearly, I flushed a lot of this crap. I just remember ed there were Nazis and also ssf one people called the Slaughterhouse Nine who were boring AF.

A thing about Worm is that it's such a dense, convoluted thing that it's impossible to keep all the details fresh in mind, which is why its fans make it out to be such a subtle, intricate story. It's not, of course - it's just longer than War and Peace and there's so much filler and nonsense and bizarre things that it's inevitable you lose track of stuff. Especially since, once you hit Arc 30 (yes, really) you've read over one million words and none of the stuff introduced in Arc 1 matters anymore and it's easy to forget how a black bookstore owner actively conspired (and admitted to conspiring!) to let the main character be beaten up by one of her bullies, incidentally the only black superhero in the story, or that said bully is described like this:

quote:

She looked like a panther, black-skinned, savage, teeth bared just a little as she panted.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
LeGuinn was still a genre author, and thus bad by definition

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
You're also either wilfully obtuse or just outright stupid if you think what's being objected to is the mere presence of Nazis, gang members, etc. in the story.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So what good authors aren't fascists, if I want to read more Actual Literature but don't want to give human garbage my time of day? Because it sure seems sometimes like the only people who can create good art are monsters of some stripe or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Maxim Gorky owns, so does Daniil Harms. Don’t forget that Umberto Eco, Sartre, Camus were all leftists. Really, a ton of good writing on the left. Maybe tell us what you’re looking for and we can be more precise - do you want short/long works, straightforward narratives or meandering ones...

While I'm more accustomed to novels, (clarificatory edit: longish, straightforward narratives) I'm willing to try 'em all. And I do have a Calvino novel on my desk a friend gave me for Christmas, so that's nice as a starting point.

Thanks for the recommendations, folks.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 29, 2020