Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro has been a pretty satisfying, and subtle, counterpoint to Mishima's lost-cause nationalism. Especially with Mishima's sainthood of late among the alt-right community.

Just a sad, in denial, unreliable narrator, feeling totally emasculated by his daughters and the changing society. I highly recommend it if you are enjoying Mishima.

edit: lol i didn't read the past 10 pages. I hope I dont become a japanese nationalist by reading an unreliable japanese nationalist narrator!!!

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Lindsay Ellis' novel is awful. Like, did even a single editor take a look at this before publishing it? MacMillan must've figured her fanbase was a shoe-in to buy it without concern for quality. It's like some weird fanfiction combination of Transformers (the first Michael Bay film) and Twilight. I had to say it somewhere and I figure this thread is the place for it. It didn't take years to get published because the industry was mean - it took years to get published because it's bad.

I've been avoiding it because I had a feeling. You can tell she has some background in the fanfiction/fandom worlds and that...does not lead to good genre fic.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

That's a shame even if I'm not surprised. Her media criticism is pretty engaging 101 level stuff, so I was hoping for a light and fluffy scifi. That clunky mess of words just sounds like a slog without even a novel idea to carry it.

I would hope she takes in feedback and gets a new editor but lol it got carried to Best Sellers because of internet clout so probably not.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ellis is much more of a production and cultural zeitgeist media critic then she is purely textual. her discussions of how movies get made and the philosophy that goes into them is more her niche. her analysis of how celebrity voiceovers started with Aladdin, and the implications on the production of movies, is super fascinating.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

With how pulp publishing is organized these days, they will look twice and then ask you to write a 30 book sequel to your short story instead.

Yep. While there are definitely lots of hack authors, I'm pretty sure the publishing industry is doing a lot to choke out anything that couldn't become a hit movie series with plastic action figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Wow they found a book about an old man shuffling through his twilight years in a liminal state of pre and post war Japan...aimless? What absolute critics they are. :rolleyes: