Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Sampatrick posted:

Note that no culture in history calls something a shapeshifter, they have names for the things that do the act of shapeshifting.

what immediately came to mind reading this claim was Petronius' Satyricon, LXII, bad translation mine:

Intellexi illum versipellem* esse, nec postea cum illo panem gustare potui, non si me occidisses.
Then I understood him to be a [werewolf],* nor after that could I sit down to dinner with him, not even if you killed me.

*literally, "skin-turner" with the sense of "skin-changer," which I should think is close enough to "shape-shifter"

i'm sure that most cultures actually have a word or phrase that translates to something equally banal with regard to their own 'shape-shifters.'
The English 'werewolf' itself has a disputed etymology but my understanding is that it likely means literally "big/dangerous wolf." No proper nouns needed.

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Sampatrick posted:

Werewolf comes from man-wolf. Skin changer is absolutely not the same thing as shapeshifter in the same way that skin-walkers are not the same thing as shapeshifters. They mean different things.

did you forget that you posted this, and that this is what i am responding to?

Sampatrick posted:

Well, the reason why they're not called shapeshifters, you see, is because calling them shapeshifters would be boring. Note that no culture in history calls something a shapeshifter, they have names for the things that do the act of shapeshifting. D'ivers is absolutely a stupid name but calling them shapeshifters would have been just as stupid.

there is no material difference between using the English word 'shapeshifter' to refer to something that changes its shape and Latin-speakers calling something with the same concept a "skin-changer." They are equally "boring," merely descriptive of what the figure does (change its appearence) and hell even the English usage of the word 'shapeshifter' disproves your assertion that no culture in history uses boring literal terms for these figures!

The vir-wolf / man-wolf etymology is extremely doubtful but you seem to miss that even if true it also contradicts what you're saying. We don't call them "Lycans" no matter how many Underworld movies get made: these figures have 'boring,' uncapitalized nouns that actually just describe them.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Sampatrick posted:

The word werewolf absolutely comes from the conjunction of man and wolf. There are other germanic myths that came earlier and do not come from that etymology but they're not really relevant.

Looks like my sources for that were out of date, sorry!
I'm right about the rest.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I clicked on this link and it served me an ad for men’s underwear with separate compartments for wang and balls. It is a cursed link

the Dark Souls of underwear

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Oh, don't act like this isn't exactly what you were hoping for.

lol seriously

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
if this thread gets gassed then where will Mel run to complain that nerds are making fun of him?

Mrenda posted:

In a dose of authors being so, so close.

https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/status/1127965203335745536

Stories are for children.

Amazing, with those tweets he managed to write something even worse than "The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrrann rooftops - it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight."

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
[Seinfeld voice but dressed as Oedipus] ...numen!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
its jokes don't measure up to Garfield

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

my bony fealty posted:

my brain cannot parse that first sentence at all

it took me a few passes to realize that “facing down” means, like, “to do battle with,” and then he lists off the people he was facing down.

So the point of the sentence I think is that he’s grateful for ... Bitch’s contribution to the effort against his opponents.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

chernobyl kinsman posted:

that is...what that phrase means, yeah

the first few times i read it i thought he had discovered several people facing down on the ground

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Lex Neville posted:

what defines the dragon though

its distinctive acorn shape

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

CestMoi posted:

burn down the english departments

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
either unban botl or gas this thread, jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Heath posted:

What is it with fantasy novels in particular always being directly compared to whatever work they're derived from? If I wrote a novel and someone compared it (even favorably) to Lord of the Rings or Hunger Games or whatever I'd be pretty upset about it, personally.

every work of literature has compared to its antecedents, constantly, since time immemorial, so if that makes you upset get therapy i guess