Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Haha, yeah, that garfield. Boy what is up with that anyway?
Sometimes I stop and think about it like "You know sometimes it's not that funny or endearing, so what makes it stick around?", you know? But it does.

Well I guess that's garfield for you. And that's what makes it open to parody like this. It touches on things that each of us can relate to, so when something is amiss about it, we notice it.

Isn't that something? I sure think so. Something to reflect on this morning about garfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

loving. Finally.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

STOP LITTERING posted:

I hope the garfield pizza is the greatest pizza in all the world.

Better than new york, chicago, detroit, neopolitan, hell- EVEN indian expat style i hope garfield style rules over them all forever.

"..and I'd give it all..I'd give all of YOU for just...one..more slice...of that...Garfield pizza...I..."
"Grandpa!"
"He's delusional, Katy" you hear as you begin to slip the bonds of this hellish gay earth, your final words drying the last of the drool on your lips, moistened to the last by thoughts of the best pizza you've ever had. You ever could have had. And could never have again because of that Fat. loving. Cat.
"That bastard!" you think, as the black waters of eternal nothingness wash over the orange sands of your pizzaless existence.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mordja posted:

It's an orange storefront with comic strips in the window.

Picture from here as is this quote:

New season of Jon's Spergers lookin good

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Well according to the Toronto Star-Ledger the pizza sucks. What an epic meme!

If the Toronto Star-Ledger had said it was really good pizza, then it would be a good meme?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mordja posted:

Yeah, this dude definitely seems stable.

I like that the lasagna boxes become tissue boxes.
At first, I thought, of course he's so deranged or out of touch with what he's doing that "...no, used greasy take out boxes might not make the best tissue boxes", let alone why anyone would want a tissue box because..what?
But then I thought, maybe if you're a real over-eater, like Garfield, maybe you feel bad about that, and maybe you cry a little after you eat a whole box of takeout lasagna from a place with a cartoon cat as a mascot, and some tissues might comfort you. And that's just a nice thing to do.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Aren't their tons of pictures of Garfield? Or is he a never-nude.

I assume he meant nudes of himself rather than ever more nudes of Garfield, of which thankfully the world brims.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Thanks for clarifying, I surely didn't misunderstand on purpose.

You're welcome!
Please feel free to ask any more questions you have about the Garfield ap and be sure to vote the thread 5 and thank the OP if you enjoy :)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Arbuckles Coffee House didn't take off for some reason.
Something was wrong with the coffee.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Oh come on.

He wants a fleet of green vehicles to deliver from one tiny store

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"just a friendly FYI (that's feline your information), Garfield may deliver cheesy pasta payloads via his sassy automated combat drones! You never know WHERE or WHEN that cat might be placing your fresh and tasty order-nance! Oh Garfield, where DO you get the foreign funding?!"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Sitting at the top of a skyscraper built by literal slave labor in a city carved out of the desert in defiance of god and nature a man whose life work is a YouTube channel that has gotten fewer views than this thread is excitedly explaining to a dying magnate of a dying media format that the box that holds lasagna also holds tissues.

Ozymandious but "Oobies og ouse" instead of "look upon my works"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Thots and Prayers posted:

I love terrible books. I coughed up $5 for an ebook and will read this.

Finally someone who has realized that Science and Technology has turned us away from thinking. THIS is the person I want feeding me.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

"What if inoffensive thing for children was actually spooky and mature" is the dumbest loving thing, sorry.

Jokes? I DON'T like 'em!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

when I think of lasagna, I think of - whoa there, buddy, you guessed it! - cowboys. love those cowboys and those wild west tall tales of them cuttin' up strips of real beef to put into their famous campfire lasagnas

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Is one of the services available from the Garfield Eats app one where instead of food being delivered to my house it is, in fact instead a man that looks and dresses like Jon Arbuckle who breaks into my home and screams at me for not getting out of bed and being too fat and lazy?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I have an officially licensed tattoo of Garfield pissing down my rear end crack as a tramp stamp and he says 'Eat My Shorts'.

But my back was sorta weird when they did it so it looks like 'shirts' which doesn't make much sense but I emailed Bill Watterson regarding it and he hasn't weighed in on his opinion on profiting off body art no matter how good it is but I assure you he's read it.
The email. I dunno if he read the tattoo yet. I hope so.
Well anyway that's some portion of MY take on the war of cartoon strip licensing. Thank you.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

So this dude is totally gonna use this restaurant to poison every single person that eats there because they can't see his frustrated genius or something, right? Like that's where this is going?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Why was this such a big dream of that guy's? Garfield is not an inspirational or deep comic by any means. In any case it seems to be based mostly on the 2004 CGI crapfest starring Bill Murray. The funniest thing about that movie is the rumor that Bill Murray only signed on because he thought it was written by the Coen brothers but in actuality it was just some dude named Joel Cohen who writes all kinds of lovely movies. And of course, when you think of Garfield, of course the first thing that comes to mind is his incredibly well-known catchphrase, "love me, feed me, don't leave me". What the gently caress?

Why don't they just focus on making a really good lasagna? Why are the recipes crap if they took so long to develop? What's with these weird, bad ideas on how to reuse the grease-infused single use disposable packaging?

What was the thought process behind this? I just really want to understand.

Cowboy cut lasagna? What the gently caress? I feel like a person who doesn't understand sarcasm trying to really get the "deep meaning" behind some throwaway monkeycheese meta-joke. Even for a money laundering operation this would be poo poo.

yeah, we know.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ziv Zulander posted:

The guy doing it is a gay Saudi Arabian failson whose oil baron dad gave him a bunch of money to keep him busy and out of the way

I think this gets me more than just the idea of the restaurant the 'meta' (sorry, hate that word, but I guess it works) idea of this guy, overall.

Born into a position where, feasibly, anything is attainable in life and you can have or do or be given the means to accomplish pretty much anything you desire.
And you're such an annoying idiot that you're still given literally anything just to "please, just..please gently caress off forever, ok?"

Which he promptly does and uses his limitless 'please go away' fund to craft a project for himself that, when even looked at and considered by anyone who has NO IDEA of this...is still so annoying and lame that people want nothing to do with it.

The shear scale of personal ineptitude and dislike surrounding the man has to be palpable from rooms away even if you can't directly see him or are aware of his presence.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

yea pretty crazy, thanks.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

He goes ham on the d like Garfield hitting a pan of lasagna.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

GrfieldMeets really helps ME play the 'FIELD

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Garfield Eats Crap

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hello, yes, I'd like one of your, uh, 'fake plastic vomit' pies, one 'marshmellow bits, cat turds and grass', and one, uh, jesus..uh one 'raw squid on model train landscaping'. Did I say that last one right? Is it for miniatures gaming? I'm sorry it's hard to tell from the menu pic.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

venomsnek posted:

I tried one

Sure you did.
I showed my wife the Queen of England this post and she agreed that it's probably fake

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

please don't doxx my wife or I further in regards to that post tia

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Like, you can get multiple different types of heirloom tomatoes that specifically ARE orange.
Normally they're for backyard gardeners and for at farmers markets and they're 'slicing' tomatoes, for eating as is or in salads, fresh and stuff, not making sauces.

I kinda wonder if he actually sourced these suckers out FOR his 'special sauce' recipe. Given his level of, uh, other dedication it wouldn't surprise me.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

it's called a pizza 'peel'.

the thing you slide it into and out of the oven with, that is.

e: oh good snipe

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

What's the thing you push the garbage into the oven with called?

my hands

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

same but I'm the chef

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Thots and Prayers posted:

{Arabiolosis} Chapter 1 - Meet the Mazri's

So here's how the chapters are structured:
  • One of the ten 'Mazri's Laws'
  • A somewhat chronological portion of the memoir
  • 'What is the theme of Chapter X?' summary.

You'd think it would make sense to have these items be related and serve to reinforce each other but ha ha ha no. So: Law, memoir, summary... aaaand let's go!

Nathen needs to add custom Garfortune cookies to the shop, pronto, because the man is a hidden genius. Check it out:

Anyways, we start off somewhere in Canada - Nathen is 10. The phone rings at his house - it's dad calling from Saudi Arabia. He just landed a job "as a CEO of a large American IT company based in Riyadh." Nathan and his mom celebrate.

Narrator voice over: It did not. Also: all those people guessing that Nathen's dad was underwriting Garfaccinos can collect your prize.

Nathan next introduces nine family members, none of whom are ever mentioned again. This will happen many more times before the chapter is over. His immediate family packs up and heads to SA. They land and are greeted by even more family, including...

Absent Saudi Arabian CEO FailDad is one of the few recurring characters in the book. I imagine him to be as warm, loving, and humorous as his title implies.

Too busy talking about literally growing up with a silver spoon in his mouth, Nathen misses an opportunity to make a reference to his lifelong love of Garfield and orange-colored food. I'm sure that was a minor oversight.

They meet even more family members who are never mentioned again, many of whom come with head-scratching descriptions:

I'm stealing this as my next bar pickup line: "Baby, are you starring in the stage adaptation of Jane Eyre? Because you are pale and free of peccadilloes."

Nathen goes on to mention three extended relative families and six people by name. Don't bother keeping track as none of them matter. Absent Saudi Arabian CEO Faildad takes one look at Nathen and decides he needs to go back to the drawing board and impregnates Mom upon arrival. Mom then flies back to Canada with Nathan in tow to have the baby:

Don't worry, by the end of the book Nathen winds up alienating all his siblings not just Baby Eddie.

Family and friends will either be right or wrong - wise words here.

Up next: Chapter 2: Whiny and Gay in the KSA

Imagine being so rich that your globe trotting father sends for you after two years just to gently caress the poo poo out of your mother to celebrate having even more money.
Imagine having so much money that, while being fed food by the people guarding you with a silver spoon, your concern is that "There aren't enough clerks here to service me, a 10 year old boy in a foreign airport being spoonfed luxury food by my guards late at night."

Now imagine having that much wealth and privilege and you can't even just take it and gently caress off so no one knows who you are, and live on a yacht somewhere loving instagram models for a living or whatever.

Instead you open a Garfield restaurant that's so bad that even MORE people want to shy away from everything you touch and try to do because it's such an abject failure that even attempting something that's bad on premise, you fail so badly at that you can't recognize why.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

you got a comic themed restaurant idea though?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Maybe a 'For Better or Worse' build your own baked potato bar and soft serve buffet?

Some Huxley 'ROOF' beer floats

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If Oprah were to be informed of this situation and showed up at this dude's place while he's there, you suppose that'd be interesting?
I suppose it would.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's a 'Dunder Mifflin' shirt.
It's a shirt advertising the company name from the show 'The Office'.

I have...no idea why a person that age would want or have something like that or even why that shirt would exist.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I loved her show on food network

Her italian titties are coming to steal that av of yours

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Korthal posted:

If this place isn't out of business by the end of October, I'll go myself and check it out when I'm in Toronto for a concert. I'm less interested in the food and more interested in the actual place. I mean, what it must be like to work in a place that just constantly blares garfield cartoons.

obviously you're not a computer toucher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If you started dating someone and they were like 'I'm really into Star Trek" you'd probably be like '... Eh, sure".
If they said "I am a Garfield superfan" that would be an instant "have a good life"