Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'm really curious about the methods of death. So everyone was drugged, the wife was violated,strangled and then her hand was cut off, the servants were tied up and then hit with an ax and then Nakamura was killed last, being doused with kerosene and burned where the killer then burned the whole mansion down. Why burn everything down if you've killed the victims in a different way? Getting rid of evidence?

Also there is so much time between the killings and the victims having ingested equal amounts of sleep medicine that it lasted till Seiji was dealt with, is a detail that I can't get out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Given the floor plan on page 1, if Morisu did get invited to go to Horned Island...where would his room be in Decagon House? There's no space for him. I wonder if the hand is significant in Japanese culture in that you need a fingerprint to access or legalize documents though I have to believe that this may be red herring. The Janitor's disappearance still bothers me since ...weren't the waves choppy going to the island? If he was planning to kill everyone, he'd need a means of escape but that hasn't been sussed out at all. How'd he get another boat on the island?

We only know Kawa and Mori's side of the story regarding that drinking party. I wish we had corroborating or conflicting stories from other people that were at the party. Also, leaving a club because of a death hints at something more than not being a good fit at a club.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Of the seven boards, there is the Detective board. Is this to suggest that killer has planned for one person to remain alive once he/she is left with the final person? The theme of games seems to be hinted at throughout the book so far...that, that has me curious.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

How does Van fake the fever if Poe is checking the thermometer? The tiles with the naming of Victims, Detective and Killer, when paired that with the letters sent out to people accusing them of murder would require a fair amount of dedication. Since we don't know how the others feel about Chiori's death, I don't think you can eliminate Orz as not being the potential killer as she seems really affected by Chiori's death.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I feel like we need a character sheet for this book because I'm getting confused about ages and the like. Something that bothered me in the last update is the locked doors yet light being on in Kou's house. Given that the latest update seemed to indicate that the time was around 10:40. Unless Kou is an older man, I can't imagine anyone going to sleep earlier then that. Who leaves the lights on when they sleep? Is this a cultural thing?

Given that he may have been one of the people able to identify the bodies (from what I remember someone else posted/mentioned?) that were heavily burned and that he didn't answer his door, I have to believe that Kou is dead or will be dead soon.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Who would have the motive to send the letters, know the participants that were around when Chiori died (the Mystery Club) and plan everything? It could be Kou if Chiori was actually his daughter. It could be Orczy because she was the only one to remember Chiori and the significance of being on Horned Island though her thoughts seems to paint her as too distraught(?) to plan all of this. If Seiji faked his death, he would have had the time to plan all of this. His feelings towards Chiori may just be how it appeared and not be his actual feelings about his daughter.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I wonder how the murder occurred with the window and Orc's door being unlocked. When was the tile placed on Orc's door? If it was after the murder and the hand cutting, then the murderer could have placed the tile on the door and walked back to their room. Was no one really awake from 6 to 9 mulling about to have noticed someone placing the tile on the room? If the murderer was an outsider, how did they know about the tiles in terms of after they were taken off the table? Regarding the arm, if it was roughly cut off, I wonder if that's an indication of the killer's ability or lack of cutting tools in their vicinity.

Check everyone's room for a cut arm/hand!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Regarding the poems/codes, I wonder if there's a subtle clue that we're missing in the first/last letter of things because we're reading the translated version of the text.

It's curious that Carr asked Agatha to make coffee and the text states that Ellery was drinking tea. Given that no one else was mentioned to drink anything, Agatha and Ellery seem suspicious.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I would post more as I'm reading but I don't want to shitpost in this thread.

So they abandoned talking to Kou all together?

Regarding the flask, since it is on Carr's person, specifically his jacket, how would one be able to poison him through it? They'd have to snatch it , mix in the poison without Carr knowing and they would have to know that he had this flask on him. The only mention of it was when he drank from it in Poe's presence.

Just out of curiousity, I wonder why Poe as a fourth year medical student, doesn't check on Van who's sick when everyone arrives to the island and as a medical student, he may have access to the poison needed to kill Carr, right?

Regarding the boy and Shimada's conversation...so there was a boat headed towards the island but it capsized? Given that there's nothing of value near the island...I wonder who was on that boat. Did no one think to call in the cops to help recover any possible dead bodies from the wreckage?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Chapter 7

What could take up a radius of two meters? Also, Ellery commenting on something being moved in the ruins of Blue Mansion gives me the feeling that someone went to that location since the last time Ellery checked out Blue Mansion(Didn't someone go with Ellery to check out Blue Mansion earlier?) I wonder about the trip wire on the stairs...like was that made with the intent of killing any intruders, if they happened to fall the wrong way? Given how Orc was killed by strangulation and Carr was killed with poison, I think that the killer is rather intentional and that he/she wouldn't want someone to die in a clumsy manner like falling down the stairs.

In terms of the items in the killer's arsenal like the sharp tools and the poison, I wonder if they are hiding in plain sight. Maybe Poe should look at the pantry and see if any of the food items could be used to hide a poison or see if any of the knives could be used to cut bone. Hiding things in plain sight as it were. As for the signboards and Orc's hand..I'm at a loss where they could be.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

From 5,

Huh, so Poe has sleeping pills.

Poe you seem real quick to drug Agatha instead of asking her what she thought she heard. SUSPICIOUS!

Leroux remembers something unconciously? The magician of the group...surely he must dabble in hypnosis as well, right? Maybe Leroux caught the killer magician in the act and the magician had to hypnotize him to make him forget.

Why is Kou pointing to a plant, when he's being accused of a crime. That's one hell of a deflection...Ah ok, I read more posts that explain this. If Kou's explanation is correct...then Kou has the biggest grudge against the students that killed Chiori since: 1) they killed Chiori, his daughter, 2.) cause his brother to sever ties with him and his wife 3.) kill the one with whom he had a type of love with (seiji's wife). ..but then how does he travel to and from the island to make his kills?

This is a bit ridiculous but would a canoe or a small kayak have a radius of two meters?!?edit: when it's put on its end.

I'm getting so confused about Shimada, Kawaii, and Morisu's characters in terms of trying to identify them as individuals.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 14, 2019

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Ellery examined the ruins of Blue Mansion with Leroux? Also, Leroux "rememberances" of Orc and Carr's deaths is mighty suspicious.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

So we never know what Leroux remembers, if he is dead.

Given Agatha's outfit with white lace...is that the same as a sundress? Would a sundress have lace? Given that Agatha decided on red instead of pink, it would seem as if she preferred to use pink but just happened to use red at the time of death. Did the murderer plan that out or hope that she would use red lipstick eventually?

So we know the poison but don't know where the poison is coming from, conclusively (Carr, Agatha).
Why was one of the student's hands cut off while the others were relatively unmolested?
We don't know how they cut the hand off.
We don't know who was living in the ruins of Blue Mansion.
We don't know if the gardener or Seiji Nakamura is alive or dead, conclusively.
We don't know if there is an outsider on the island.

Why aren't those dudes on the mainland boating over to come and help us!

With all these mysteries, I'm so lost.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Regarding the lipstick, I think that it may have to be considered because of previous mention of how the author's writing style seems to be concise in that details would not be included, without some intention.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

The doors are locked from the inside right? So how was Leroux's room locked?

If he was heading towards Decagon House, where was he coming from?

Can we check on the bodies to make sure that they are all dead?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I'm just anxious and kinda want confirmation as a reader that the dead are dead and that it's either someone alive or an outsider doing the killing.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Ellery stating that Agatha was in her death makeup at the time of her death...is curious since we know that's not the case. Also, Ellery calling Agatha Snow White feels uncomfortable. Why are none of the remaining people mentioning Poe's fishing line tripping up Ellery in the hole near Blue Mansion? Because it raises questions as to whether the Killer searching through everyone's luggage to use? Why doesn't everyone else search through their stuff to notice if things are missing?

I wonder if Leroux found evidence or noticed the killer which is why he is headed back to Decagon House. Since there were no footprints near Leroux when he is found, maybe he was pummeled for a bit and then Leroux crawled towards Decagon before succumbing to his injuries. Ellery is also near the crime scene and he definitely could have muddled the crime scene to obscure any footprints in the mud near Leroux's body. I wonder why they don't search for Leroux's murder weapon though they didn't search for Carr's murder weapon either which is strange (I don't remember how the others died but I'm sure they haven't until Agatha with the poison lipstick). You're a mystery club! Why not search for this poo poo, just for your own peace of mind?

Agatha's thoughts before death don't seem to suggest suicide as the survivors suggest. Also, who would bring poisoned lipstick for oneself on a trip?

Leroux's and Agatha's deaths really have me curious about when they occurred.

We don't know about the nameplates for the other victim (Agatha) but I'm feeling like it's being used as a distraction so that the members focus on that...while the murderer carries out their scheme which would point to Ellery since he dabble in magic.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

But like, we haven't found the poison that killed Carr nor do we know how the murderer administered the poison.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I am doubling down on Ellery being the culprit based on nothing but my feelings towards him. I wonder what the people on the mainland are doing.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

What the heck. Now everyone has to make sure that everything only has ten sides.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

If the cup was brought by the killer, then they would have had to have visited the island before, and made plans for how they wanted to execute the killings. The killer visiting previously made explain the basement door found in the blue mansion with the floor looking clean/recently swept.

If the cup was already there, then that cup....is a coincidence?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Prior murders like when Seiji Nakamura's time?

Carr was poisoned from drinking a cup of coffee and Agatha was poisoned by poison on her lipstick, from what I remember.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

The wife and the servants were apparently drugged with something strong enough to last a couple of days,if I recall correctly. Servants were killed first and then wife had hand chopped off days apart.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Ellery seems to have already solved the mystery or is the murderer based on his attitude towards getting some food in light of everything that's happened.

...Are updates coming soon?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Oh man, it's been so long that I've forgotten everything about who got killed and such.

For the poisoned cigarette, everyone is smoking.I think that Poe just became a victim by chance by the killer...which would mean Ellery would be the Killer.

Why did Leroux go outside the house in the first place? What was he running from?That's bouncing around my brain. I wish that they had, as a group, walked in the direction of where Leroux was running from, to see what might have caused him to run.

For the killer to be someone outside of the group, they would have to know when this group was going to head to the island...which would suggest that someone in the group is helping the killer...right? I seem to remember that there was a pair of people scanning the island and looking at Cat Island and floated a theory that the past killer could have been hiding out there but that was quickly denounced as ridiculous. Are either people in that conversation still alive in that passage?

Ellery's obsession with Seiji is ridiculous. His suggestion that Seiji killed someone, brought them to the island to be used as his body double is crazy and it still leaves the detail about where the missing gardener is, untouched. I feel like Ellery is trying to cause misdirection(which is what magicians do) with continually posing the idea of an outside killer.

Could Poe have faked his "death"...he's the only one with medical training left right?

Does one of the adults from the prior murders have children?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

How long does it take for a body to decompose to be in the position that it was in the basement?

Given how crazy everything has been, the corpse could be the gardener, Seiji...or one of the classmates with SEIJI NAKAMURA taking the place of one of the classmates!

Ellery's obsession with Seiji is paying off. I can't believe that. I feel like the obsession has progressed to the point where he's created a Seiji persona where he would kill with the motives that the original Seiji would have. Like seriously though, who would have thought to use the cup to open a keyhole underneath the kitchen floor? Or even thought that there was a basement to the house when it hasn't been mentioned or thought of.That's madness.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Ellery's deductions in the last chapter just seem too perfect from finding the basement then the other door leading outside of the basement where they found the corpse. Either his obsession has made him into the greatest detective or he has had some plan with the murders.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" -Arthur Conan Doyle.

So..then what seems to be the impossible scenarios given what we know?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Why would they mention the relatively small build of one of the corpses? It's not like their physical traits were mentioned before in the book...unless it has been? Such a curious detail for the author to mention that it makes me think that a body was switched out or something.

I imagine Morisu was talking to the fisherman who was supposed to pick everyone up or some official who saw the flames on decagon island.

What's the connection of the people outside of the island to the ones who visited the island?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

To have him be the murderer...would be disappointing...given how well the book has been written so far. I hope that that there is some explanation or details for his motive.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Mr. Steak posted:

yes i still want to! it's not on my agenda right now because of a combination of other projects i'm committed to and being part of several highly involved forums games this month, but i feel really bad about falling off on this near the end.

sigh. please..just finish someday..

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Can you explain your reasoning as to why the remaining rooms must represent other potential killers? With things being so late in the game, would they really have one of the other relatively anonymous characters (Morisu, Higashi)be the killer...since I don't know what their motivation would be or how involved they are in the story up til now.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Someone please finish this

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Maugrim posted:

Because Van was one of the last two people alive on the island.

Oh man, I had forgotten all that. Is that mentioned early on in the thread/book?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Talk little, I think there was mention of a motor. Also bitterness/saltiness can make a man do incredible things.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

That was interesting! Thank you for sharing. Ellery’s darn obsession with Seiji doomed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Are there any other translated mysteries that are as good, out on Amazon?