Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

This is a cool story and I trust my Danganronpa experience will serve me well here.

I bet Leroux will be first to die. I'm basing this on their ages, which I am assuming correspond with their enrolled years in school. Can't kill Orczy first because of the gender ratio imbalance.

Refresher on their school class years:

Orczy - 2nd year literature
Leroux - 2nd year literature
Carr - 3rd year law
Ellery - 3rd year law
Agatha - 3rd year pharmacology
Van - 3rd year science
Poe - 4th year medicine

Kawaminami - 3rd year
Chiori - 1 year below Kawaminami = 2nd year, if she were alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

quote:

The number of bodies discovered was four. Due to the fire they were all completely blackened, so the identification process was difficult, I heard.

This line is suspect to me. Although the police were able to identify them and the killing methods in spite of the charring - was there some detail of the bodies covered up by the fire? Is the police report possibly faulty?

TV Zombie posted:

Also there is so much time between the killings and the victims having ingested equal amounts of sleep medicine that it lasted till Seiji was dealt with, is a detail that I can't get out of my head.

Agreed. Assuming a single dose of medicine, Nakamura Seiji would have likely either: been awake during the previous murders and put to sleep before his own death, or slept through one or more previous murders and was awake during his death.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

About the boat, couldn't someone have come and picked up a survivor from the water? Or temporarily tied a second boat to the other docked boat maybe? I think there is a high chance of an accomplice in the 1985 murders.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Agatha bringing all the drinks from the kitchen makes her suspicious. That could be offset by Van faking sickness, but then Agatha might need to be playing along with the forehead touch. Or Van could really be sick, and someone is using misdirection focusing on Van while someone else is being drugged.

Carr was the first to go to bed right? Sulking and stomping off might indicate he's frustrated but also that he might be tired and body heavy from sleeping medicine.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Characters mentioned here:

Yoshikawa Seiichi (gardener)
Yoshikawa Masako (gardener's wife)
Nakamura Seiji (Horned Island husband)
Nakamura Kazue (Horned Island wife)
Nakamura Koujirou (Chiori's uncle / Seiji's younger brother)

quote:

"Yes. I am very much in his debt. I'm sure you already know this, but before I married Yoshikawa, I also worked at the Horned Island mansion. I started there at the same time Seiji started living there. That was the first time Koujirou and I were acquainted...."

Does it mean anything she refers to her husband using his surname, Yoshikawa, and not given name? Or is that typical.

quote:

"Did Koujirou ever visit the island?"

"While I was working there he would visit frequently, but afterwards, it seems he nearly stopped going there altogether."

"While you were working there.... Hm. I see."

Koujirou - Masako relationship

quote:

In that way, the Madam was quite doting on her daughter."

"What about Seiji?" Shimada leaned forward slightly. "What did the father Seiji think of his daughter?"

"That is----" Masako was visibly discomforted. "It shames me to say, I understand Seiji was not very fond of children."

Chiori is Kazue's biological daughter, not Seiji's?
If Koujirou was involved with Masako, and Seiichi the gardener was incapable of adultery/murder, that leaves the servant man who people haven't been talking about lately. Chiori was actually Servant Man's child?
Seiji has no money, then these affairs seem like probably the motive for 1985.
I feel like knowing the servants' names and the main cast's real names will solve the mystery.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

This Shimada guy is too happy about the whole situation. He's obviously hiding a huge secret.

Wonder if it's something crazy like, Nakamura Seiji was dead before even the 1985 murders, there was another person masquerading as him--Shimada. No witnesses to say otherwise.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Mr. Steak posted:

The pill poo poo makes me really nervous because it's so explicit that there's gotta be someone dead by poison tomorrow or something.

This part is really strange because here's a house full of mystery buffs, who know these are copycat murders, and they know about the sleeping pills involved in the original murders. Yet most of them play along without uttering any form of objection.

Originally I was theorizing that no murders have actually happened yet, and some of these club members are coordinating a ruse to out one of them for a crime involving Chiori. But Carr is certainly dead assuming a reliable narrator: "While laying in the bed of his assigned room, Carr drew his last breath." (Hopefully that's not just wordplay saying that's the last time he drew breath on the bed, or that he changed identities to stop being Carr.)

However, rereading Orczy's death scene it now becomes highly suspect. Poe really really does not want anyone to see Orczy's body. It doesn't mention what they did with Orczy's corpse. The narrator never refers to Orczy's body as a corpse nor says she is dead; it's always said in character dialogue. The closest is "Orczy's body, which could no longer move nor feel shame" which could mean she's unconscious. After Carr's death there are 2 severed hands which someone pointed out: "Another "copycat" play? But wait, that doesn't check out...." since that's one too many hands. I believe Orczy is alive and probably still has her hand.

TalkLittle fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 13, 2019

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Thanks Mr. Steak!

IIRC where we left off it still feels very much open ended, not enough clues to make any real guesses. I hope they start eliminating possibilities next chapter.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

It does seem like Ellery has been sitting on a bunch of information. Why reveal the trap door now and not sooner, I wonder? I don't want to believe it was a random eureka moment, simply because that would be bad storytelling.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Yes we like Steak's translation and I think the doctor, Poe was it?, must be the culprit. Unless he died already I forget.

I kind of don't understand this mystery though. What are the open questions? The villain and their motivation? I can't tell if the "how" is a mystery since that seems pretty unimportant with so many entrances, exits, and locations all over the island. And a simple boat would solve any of the questions surrounding outsiders having access to the island.

It feels like you could make up any random answer and fill in the blanks using the info we have, which is weird given how close we are to the end.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Okay it's clear what the real puzzle is. (Well, a theory.) The eleven-sided teacup is a huge hint. The guy constructed this decagon house making you think there are ten of everything, but there's eleven.

Mr. Steak posted:

Fig.1 "Floorplan of Decagon House"

We have a decagon house with ten rooms. Seven occupied by potential killers. Three other rooms not occupied which must represent other potential killers who are characters mentioned in the story.

The question becomes, who are the three additional "obvious" potential killers? And from there, who is the eleventh character and the real killer?

Remaining characters:

- The missing gardener
- Koujirou (the victim Chiori's uncle or maybe true biological father)
- Shimada (weird guy very interested in the murders)
- Kawaminami/Konan (ex-club member)
- Morisu aka "Doyle" (another ex-club member? and Kawaminami's friend)
- Higashi (another ex-club member? received an invitation to the island)

We can probably eliminate Koujirou, Shimada, Kawaminami since they were having that long conversation together. That leaves the Gardener, Morisu, and Higashi mostly unaccounted for for most of the story.

Who's the eleventh?

e: I realized looking at the picture, the "washroom/shower/toilet" room is kinda fishy since it's actually 3 mini rooms put together. So maybe it actually represents the trio of Koujirou/Shimada/Kawaminami? In which case we have eleven already: the 7 club members + [the trio] + Gardener + Morisu + Higashi.

TalkLittle fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 14, 2020

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

My reasoning comes from taking the stance of "here is the info we have: how can it be used to guide us through a puzzle?"

Taking the opposite viewpoint for a moment: So far, if we've been reading the story at face value as a series of events, we reach the conclusion that this mystery makes no sense. Everything feels like a red herring, anyone still alive could be the killer, the island provides too many hiding spots and entry/exit points. You could make up any ending and have it work.

But that's not a real mystery.

Giving the author some credit and being a bit charitable, we can assume that hints are constantly being given to us that narrow down the culprit, and that we won't have to wait until the very end to be able to start applying them. Having everyone in the story being part of a Mystery Book Club is priming the reader to think of it as a puzzle from the start, and now that we've gotten this far with no culprit, we have to go back and look at the hints we have.

So if we flip it around: we say nothing is a red herring, everything is part of a puzzle (or multiple interlocking puzzles). For example the names of the club members and their arrangement in the circle. The order of their deaths. Cigarette brands probably part of a separate puzzle that fits into the bigger puzzle.
We're not at the end and certainly we don't have all the pieces yet, but if we take the leap of faith and consider everything as relevant, we can start figuring out how to put things together without worrying it was the author messing with us.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Thank you for this!

This reveal went over my head. Why does Morisu's nickname matter?

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

:doh:

Van can't be on the island and doing investigations with Shimada at the same time. The only way this makes sense is if Van/Morisu is a time traveler. :colbert:

Seriously timeline hijinks get me every time.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

It is certainly interesting rereading the previous chapters after the new revelations. Like the end of chapter 2 when Morisu is reading the accusation letter: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884760&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post493997816

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Maugrim posted:

Chapter 12, part 3 starts really getting into the details.

He knew that the symptoms of mild dehydration resembled that of a cold. He couldn't have just faked an illness. That wouldn't have fooled Poe, who was studying to be a doctor. On the other hand, any suspicion about him would disappear if Poe examined him and declared him to be ill.

Okay I guess we're spoilering chapter 12 discussion so

This part feels like a stretch. He was able to anticipate, time, and control his body's symptoms precisely enough that he could pass as ill to a medical student, with a fever even, yet have exactly the amount of strength necessary to row the boat? And then have prolonged conversations on the mainland without anyone noticing his weakened state?

Hopefully Shimada did notice. Maybe they can nail him based on that somehow. And, yeah, the Kunisaki paintings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

The US Kindle edition of this book is out now. https://smile.amazon.com/Decagon-House-Murders-Pushkin-Vertigo-ebook/dp/B08H16VR2L/