Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Luxrage posted:

So I told myself I wouldn't go back to the Pick n' Pull in South Dallas for any more Maxima parts since I've gotten just about everything I could off of that car. But..

I really REALLY want to look at this ambulance so I might go down there tomorrow. There's one part I could still get from that Maxima and that's the high mount brake light interior bulb housing since that one is melted on the Maxima.

I've also done some deep thinking at work yesterday and I think I'm going to try to buy that 1972 Buick Skylark off of my friend's family. I want to go look at it to check the body, but it is parked on concrete so I'm hoping the rust isn't too bad (it is Texas so I have my hopes that it is all surface level).

This was in a previous post but it's the only picture I have. It is wild that you can order just about everything for these out of a catalog:

It's my friend's grandfathers. I thought he had passed away since I have never seen him but he is very much alive and that might complicate things.

I'm super broke at the moment, and I'm supposed to be buying a 98' - 02' Toyota Landcruiser (in blue, green, or red) so this might not happen for a while still.

At least go meet the old man and tell him how cool his car is; butter him up so that if/when he's ready to sell he'll already have a soft spot for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Raluek posted:

At least go meet the old man and tell him how cool his car is; butter him up so that if/when he's ready to sell he'll already have a soft spot for you

I've tried, but he's never there. I don't know if he works and lives somewhere else or what, but I have mentioned fixing it up like I have the Maxima to the rest of the family and they all don't seem attached to it.

I haven't been able to do much with the Maxima recently. Been working on the house and a few other things. The more I drive it, the more noise comes out of the front left wheel, I think the caliper is sticking and the pad's wearing out. I need to get in there and free it up. There's a few more things that need done as well still, like the climate control.

And peaking of that, I'll definitely be making a trip to the yard this weekend because the same pick n' pull that has the 93 I've been pulling from got this last week:

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

So here's what's been up:

I visited the Maxima at the yard, and look what it had!

It also has the big trunk mounted speakers that I took out of mine since they were damaged.

An OEM radio AND climate control, the two things I wanted, and even had working hood struts!

I got back home with these three things and... well the hood struts work.

The climate control barely works, and the radio is DOA. The climate control screen is super dim. However, it works 100% of the time. All it did show me, though, is all of the blend door motors don't work. I'm not too concerned about that since I really just want it so I can actually run my heater! One thing I can try, also, is the face of the climate control unplugs from a ribbon cable, so I can swap it with my broken one and see if that works full bright!

The radio, after doing some research, is a BOSE package that this Maxima had. Now, it looks like a simple four speaker config so I don't think that it is going to be an issue with whatever the previous owner did, but I did find that the 94-00 revisions of the radio are much more reliable and use the same plug configuration. I'm gonna return this radio as a DOA unit and try to snipe one of them. This is something easy enough that I can test in the parking lot of the pick n' pull.

However, that's not the only news, the Maxima's low idle and failure to stay running when not moving in drive is back. Do you think it could be the fuel pump starting to go? It HAS been sitting for four years before I got it going again. Replacing the fuel pump would also mean I could have a working gas gauge in the analog cluster since they had different sending units. I'm gonna try that this weekend since I've already taken the rear seats out twice so it's a cakewalk.

Also, this popped up in town on Craigslist, I'm gonna look at it for fun:

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 13, 2020

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

Well, I went to check out that RamCharger...

You had to start it with a switch under the dashboard. Nothing electrical worked on it other than it ran. No turn signals, no wipers, no gauge cluster, headlights were a maybe.

Poor kid wanted $2000 but I think he's going to get about $300 for it. I know that's all I would have paid for a truck that won't even pass state inspection. I would totally buy it as a Maxima replacement if it wasn't so expensive. But we'll see if he sells it before I get my work bonus (I'm still not gonna pay anywher near 2000 for it)

Anyways, I went back to the junkyard to pull a BOSE radio since I had a compatibility list of radios that would work. None of them matched.

I pulled three OEM Nissan radios out of cars that were supposed to be matching but not a single one had the correct style of pins on the rear. At least I got my refund for my parts.
Here's two of them:

I put the car's interior back together with the functional but still half dead junkyard climate control unit and wouldn't you know it the car's running again...

The fuel pump is already ordered so I guess I'll install it. I want to tackle the rubbing brakes next. I think both front calipers are sticking closed. My dad told me to just get a C clamp and press them back open as a quick n dirty check to see if they're the problem. New calipers are about $50 for each side so it won't be a huge huge deal to get them replaced. This is something I haven't done before so I'd rather practice on the Nissan than the Squire or the Tracker!

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

Well, I took the Maxima out for some errands. It is mis-firing on the low end like crazy and took ages to start so I'm definitely gonna go through with the fuel pump replacement. The tank's almost empty so I'm gonna lay off driving it so I don't have to refill it before the pump swap.

On the plus side, the climate control from the junkyard fixed itself! Even though none of the blend doors work, it still pushes hot through the defrost and outside air through the front vents which you can cut off with the manual switch, so I can actually heat the car up now.

I picked up some brake cleaner and C-clamps while I was out.

One thing I really want to do is install a standard whip antenna where the broken power mast is.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 16, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Both of those stereos look like late 90s, vs the <96 that you'd need.

What did they come out of?

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

STR posted:

Both of those stereos look like late 90s, vs the <96 that you'd need.

What did they come out of?

They were from a Pathfinder and whatever the Infiniti equivilant one was, maybe 98's? I had found a bunch more radios but they were all later than '96. The video I had watched had implied that anything up to 2000 from any BOSE Nissan would match, and while I did find some that had the same pinouts, they were not a standard double din shape.

Anything earlier than 96 had already had the interior ruined and the radio pulled. If I keep the car for any amount of time I should probably just put a cheap double din radio into it so I can at least get bluetooth audio. I will keep an eye out on ebay and stuff, though.

It was a disaster, but I pulled the front left caliper that I suspected was sticking and I was right. It was pretty seized. I clamped it down a few times to cycle it and it seems marginally better. A new caliper is $50 so I will probably just change it out along with new pads. The pads were all cracked and rusted.

On the plus side I found a spark plug socket in the trunk floating around!

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I slapped the 4DSC stickers on

and took out the window tint!

I also scrubbed the back window tint and much to my dismay it was the nastiest stuff imaginable:

https://i.imgur.com/j7hi4YY.mp4

I couldn't get it all off but I'm hoping the ammonia in the windex will bake into it and slowly remove it.

I also found out My job is shutting down and I will hopefully be having to work in Dallas instead of getting laid off so I'm gonna switch focus from buying a 100 series land cruiser to something more sensible on gas.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

So a lot happened last this last weekend, my roomate's car has been burning more and more oil out of the engine bay, and the transmission resets are happening more often as well. I'm down to having to reset it at least once a month at this point. The transmission is also doing really hard reverses.

I took it to get a full inspection on a lift to see just how bad everything was, I got the prognosis that there's oil leaks from just about everywhere. I've put up with a lot from this car working on it myself but I'm drawing the line at a full engine teardown and transmission work. The electrical gremlins in the transmission aren't going to get any better based on my research. My roomate's parents told him when they got it the sunroof floods the floorpan (which I fixed) but the transmission controller is under that so it has been soaked a few times already. That's just a timebomb from what the B5 community has said.

I've done so much cosmetic and mechanical work on it already I think I can sell it for at least $1500 given everything wrong with it. It is the V6 so someone who really likes Passats/A4s could get something out of it. I'll most likely list it today on Craigslist for $2000.

This Passat has been more than a mechanical problem, my roomate's not really driving at all because of how many issues it has, whether it is pushing oil smoke through the cabin or the transmission limping itself so it is a good thing it is going. But he's still going to need a car. This is where the painful part comes in. I'm going to sell the Maxima as well.

There's a few issues that are deep in the Maxima that I really would need to put time into, and I've come to the realisation that this is taking time away from the Tracker and Country Squire, the cars that really should be having my full attention. Instead of upkeep on those I'm spending my time keeping the Passat from imploding or working on the Maxima. The Maxima has been super fun but I really should get one car that's 'reliable' as they say.

It's a shame, because it is a blast to drive, but with none of the blend doors working, the whole exhaust needing changed out, and the intermittant low idle issue I think it's time for it to go to someone who doesn't have two other cars plus the house to work on.

On the plus side, I did an oil change on the Tracker this weekend and there was no metal shavings or milkshakes, so the Truck's in good health! I'm still going to need to replace the power steering hoses soon, though, because it definitely has a small leak somewhere. This is the kind of thing I've been neglecting for the Maxima and Passat.

all that wet stuff up there is power steering fluid!

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I broke this into two posts because this is the stuff I've been looking at:

I took my roomate to CarMax just so we could mess around with a few test subcompacts and see if there's anything he was interested in. The way we are going to do this is I'll be putting the initial down payment on the car owning it myself and he'll be paying me the monthly payments (since he no longer has a Passat to insure). Eventually I'll be buying that 100 Series LandCruiser so he can buy the subcompact off of me for the depreciated difference whenever he decides to move out. That won't be for a while though.

The other caveat to this is I'll still be driving this if work ends up relocating me to Dallas. You see the kind of vehicles I put up with for the sake of 'fun' and 'novelty' so I refuse to drive a base model bargain bin penalty box (or at least one that looks like it).

I told my roomate I'd get something that was good on gas, as long as it is not White, Black, Grey, Silver, or Red. Red's on that list just because I'm not huge into Red cars. We looked at a Mazda 3, a Nissan Versa, and a 2018 Ford Fiesta. He found the Fiesta most enjoyable but $11,000 for a base Fiesta isn't really my style when I could put that much down and get a used Taurus.

My wants for cars is pretty simple, most of these are met with the cars I already drive but what I want out of a car that him and I will share is:

1. It needs to be able to have the radio replaced. I am fine with anything but for his sake I'd like to put in Android Auto and have the integrated Nav System. My dad's had great luck doing so with his 2001 LandCruiser.

2. It has to be semi-fun to drive.

3. It has to be a color. That's just a requirement. I am not expecting Tracker miracles here but I just want something I can see in the parking lot.

So far of all the cars I've looked at I think I have found the perfect one. My profit sharing from work comes in tomorrow and after I pay the mortgage and a few other things I'm going to look at this:

My friend in California has had a 2013 Fit since new and loves it to bits. I can replace the radio with a double din easily according to Crutchfield, and it is the 'sport model' so it has paddle shifters and a few other things. And while not purple or yellow it's BABY BLUE! There's a dent in the bumper which is annoying but I can still buy parts for a car this new, something I've yet to experience with a car I've had. https://www.classicdodgechryslerjeep.com/used-Denton-2011-Honda-Fit-Sport-JHMGE8H54BC010948

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 6, 2020

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have a 2011 Fit and it's great.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

Lightbulb Out posted:

I have a 2011 Fit and it's great.

Oh cool! I'm planning on doing the same with it as my other cars. I'd like to do a full dashcam install, including a rear facing one, as well as a radio replacement and maybe a few other minor things like that. Have you torn into your interior at all for wiring jobs?

Now to do the first thing one considers when buying a car, what wheels fit:

Edit: The fit I'm looking at is a 4 lug setup so I guess it's 4 lug wheels then. I don't trust adapter plates and such.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 6, 2020

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The only thing I've done is installed a carplay headunit and replaced the stock speakers. The interior was pretty easy to deal with.

I put 16x7's on mine with good tire and it's great. It just sucks in the winter time because I drove an E30 for 10 years and it's boring as hell. Also, if you're too cheap for TPMS sensors on winter tires like I am - you can't disable the stability control with a TPMS sensor fault.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Luxrage posted:

The way we are going to do this is I'll be putting the initial down payment on the car owning it myself and he'll be paying me the monthly payments (since he no longer has a Passat to insure). Eventually I'll be buying that 100 Series LandCruiser so he can buy the subcompact off of me for the depreciated difference whenever he decides to move out. That won't be for a while though.

I know this is AI but oh my god what the mother gently caress ahahahaha this is so stupid I don't have words for it

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

Crunchy Black posted:

I know this is AI but oh my god what the mother gently caress ahahahaha this is so stupid I don't have words for it

I should probably clarify that statement a bit better. I use roomate more for ambiguity and keeping my personal life out of the forums more than anything, but I can understand it probably doesn't sound right that I've been dumping mountains of money into a car that's owned by a roomate.

Essentially I do 90% of the driving in our relationship and all of the vehicle work so my partner selling his car and he's giving me the money from it since he works from home and doesn't need a car. He's offering to give me what he paid for insurance for the Passat each month in order to use it to help with whatever meager monthly payments there are going to be (and Farmers told me I can add him to my insurance so he's covered for the Fit). The car is mine alone in title and insurance and all payments. He is simply giving me $80 a month to be able to drive it / cover gas and wear and tear.

He's just going to be using it for emergencies. If he wants it when it's all done, he can 'buy' it off of me for a pittance, but I'm more than happy having my name on the paperwork so I can modify it to my own whims.

If all works out well it'll be paid off within a year and then it'll be like anything else I've owned, owned by me and driven by him in emergencies. Although I really wish he'd try the driving the manual Tracker more!

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 7, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Duly noted, I apologize.

Thanks for the clarification.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

So not a lot has happened recently, except for RADWOOD in Austin! I should also add I went over my finances and I don't need to sell the Maxima, although I'm going to keep the listing up. I'll still be driving it and working on it, but if the perfect buyer comes along they can have it!

I took the Country Squire down to the show and had a great time. I got invited to an Austin car group so I can finally talk shop with some people that don't know I'm not from Austin!

The car looks pretty good when you grease up the wood with a heapin' helping of 303 Aerospace Protectant!

So far this is the only quality photo I've found posted so far of my car from someone else. HotRod.com had a radwood article and incorreclty listed my car as a Ford Fairmont!

What an absolute rager! I had a good time and took a lot of photos, I should probably see if there's a thread I can post them in somewhere.

Anwyays, the other thing I did recently was I sold one my oldest dashcam to a coworker for $40. This was the camera I had in the '87 LTD back when I was driving that. That price was mainly to cover the Samsung 32Gb SD card that was in the camera, the camera itself wasn't anything fancy. Just a Viofo A119. His car was kind of gross, it really did need a deep cleaning and had food in a lot of places and I had to get elbow deep inside the dash and stick my face in old candy wrappers and french fries.

He had TWO 12V outlets and a dedicated USB port. Since my LTD fuse adaptor was for full size fuses we couldn't use that so we just plugged a 15ft USB cable into the media port and the car didn't care. It was switched so it powered the cam on when the car was on.

Part of running the cabling involved me pulling the glovebox off and gently informing him that he has a cabin air filter that hadn't ever been changed in 5 years!

The great news is he paid me for my labor with this!

There's some big news coming next week, I have to work overtime tomorrow so I can't do any more car work.

As a side note, is there a thread for junkyard finds? I take a ton of photos every time I'm at the pick n pull and some of the cool cars I see are worth posting somewhere.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 7, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Next time you're in Austin, hit me up. I want to see this barge in person, damnit! (and maybe shoot [photos of] it)

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

STR posted:

Next time you're in Austin, hit me up. I want to see this barge in person, damnit! (and maybe shoot [photos of] it)

I'm hoping to do a proper visit after all of this COVID stuff blows over. I got some good contacts from that show that live down there so I will be able to meet a bunch of people!

So, a bunch of stuff happened. I'm considered an essential service so our factory's still running so I still have to report into work and everything and with people doing self isolation there's a lot of overtime happening. I'm just glad to have a job.

Two things happened last week, I wasn't expecting this to sell at all but someone from the next town north of me texted me about the Maxima. From what he said he was a Pulsar enthusiast and was looking for other 80s Nissans to work on. He came and looked at it and didn't talk me down on the price and away it went! I wasn't expecting it to go so fast, but I did all I could without going into super specific internal stuff like the electric HVAC controls and the AC work it needed. I was still planning on doing some more with it but I'm not venturing into the junkyards for a while to get anything!

I gave him the hard sell, as in I tried hard to not sell it to him because of all the loose ends I haven't tied up yet and how it's gonna need some work by someone who really cares about it but he said his mechanic would fix everything so good luck!

On top of that, the Passat's transmission issues got the point where it was needing reset every time I turned the car on and it was pissing oil to the point where I was filling it up once a month so I took the money from Maxima, dumped the passat for whatever the trade in was gonna be and folded some more stuff into a 2011 Fit Sport!

I talked them down a bit due to it needing some work, but nothing I don't think I can handle. It needs rear shocks and front sway bar end links and a bunch of interior cosmetic stuff. And you know how much I like I like fixing interior parts before anything else!
I have some parts on order that should be here tomorrow from RockAuto already so I'm gonna do some work on it. I'll make a bigger post about the state of the car and my plans tomorrow.

In the mean time, there's a gap in my fleet for something crummy that I can beat on and not worry about being hit by cars and sideswiped in the street so I'm already looking for something. My friend's asking about the 1971 Buick in his back yard because I want it, but in the meantime there's other things that are catching my eye...

:biglips:

If it wasn't for COVID and the possibility of getting my hands on that 1971 Skylark Coupe I'd have purchased this today. I think the one benefit from all of this is it's going to force me to focus on getting this one completely sorted out and finish some things on the other two before I get into any more projects! Despite making a whole bunch of money on the sale of that Maxima I really shouldn't have gotten it in the first place. But hey, it was fun!

Edit: I ordered some WeatherTech floor mats.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 1, 2020

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
EverDrives are great. If anyone wants me to install a dashcam for a Turbo EverDrive, you just let me know.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I got the struts and the sway bar end links in from Rockauto yesterday and put them in. The factory JACK points were so small I couldn't get the jack stands underneath em. That was a pain when it came to doing the links since the car had to be evenly lifted but I had an extra scissor jack that was in the trunk of the Maxima that I kept.

The shock towers are super easy to get to, I'm used to them being buried behind panels and carpeting but these were under little caps that popped off. The right one was completely blown. It was getting squirrrely over bumps on the highway so this was needed ASAP.

The Moog end links were highly rated so I went with those. They came off pretty easily, although I had to get a bigger torque wrench because it wanted something like 23 ft/lb and my Craftsman only went up to 25 in/lb!

You can see how bad the boots on these were:

The front and back are much quieter now, there's no more clunks from the back end and the front is 90% quieter, I'm sure there's gonna be some noise up there given how tightly sprung this thing is. I had an annoying time of some of it so that's why I didn't take many photos.

I'm noticing a few things about the car, there's permanent marks in the rear seats where a carseat was mounted and all of the plastic covers for the car seat mount and seatbelt are broken off. Those should be easy enough to locate at the parts yard or online. When all this is over and I'm back at the yard I'll get a replacement headrest at least.

I have been doing all of my work in the back driveway, and that's where I intend to park the Fit but I am under constant assault from tree branches. This is from the last three months that I have been saving to burn. I have the fit way off in the corner where it won't get blasted by branches every time we have a storm.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I May not comment but I enjoy this thread!

I attacked some driveway adjacent limb s today but i het WAY more than that around my driveway after every strong storm. My fire pit gets a lot of use

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I ordered a tree trimming bit for the reciprocating saw and took out this monster yesterday:

I also picked up a 16ft extension ladder. I was able to fit it in the back of the squire with the seats down and about 5 inches of it between the front two seats. I just wrapped the heck out of the end of it so it wouldn't damage anything but it worked out okay!

So here's one of the annoyances with the Fit. At some point the previous owner locked their keys in the car and coat-hanger'd it back open again. This did damage to a few parts:

This is the door seal for the driver's side. I am looking at ordering a new replacement one since it has built in snaps and I have read that pulling them out damages them.

You can see scratches on the window tint:

It wouldn't be a major issue except it's dripping in water in super heavy downpours:

The issue for the drips seems less in the seal integrity and more in that whoever got the shim in to unlock the door did so via bending the door frame. Here's a comparison of the left and right door fitment:

Using a louisville slugger as a fulcrum, I managed to bend the frame back quite a bit, but I think it probably needs a little more motivation.

I also found the body-color plastic trim on the driver's side mirror not seated correctly. Why? I have no idea but I popped it all into place with a trim tool.

The weathertech floormats arrived, I stuck them in and while they are a good fit, they're very slippery!

It does a good job covering the heel hole in the driver's side.

Compared with the things I've previously bought this is a breath of fresh air as their seems to be a near constant rotation of these at junkyards given how new they are. I just need this pandemic to cool down a bit more and then I'll start pulling parts again! If the rain lets up tomorrow I'll post a gameplan of what I want to do with it with some photos.

I've been doing a lot of work on the house as well. I want to built some sort of roof-holder for the Tracker's soft top because right now it's just folded up in the back of the Truck when I'm not using it and I think that's damaging the windows.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 16, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Dude, I love working on our Fits. I bought mine the day they went on sale in the US back in '06. My wife followed suite 3 days later. We have both of them to this day; hers has 195k on it, and mine has ~90k. To date, we've replaced:
2 sets of front brakes on her car, one on mine
2 sets of spark plugs
2 coilpacks (hers is an auto and cooks the one near the trans)
2 front swaybar endlinks
4 rear shocks (both cars)
2 front struts (her car)
1 exhaust on her car from the cat back
1 rear wiper motor (failed 1 month into ownership, covered under warranty)
2 serp belts
2 sets of snow tires
2 sets of A/S tires
... That's it in ~300k miles and a combined 28 years. Stellar little cars that are decently fun to drive, get good mileage, and cost basically nothing to run.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

^I've heard they are reliable, that's good to hear! I think one of the first engine things I have to do is the timing belt just because I can't find much of a service history on this car.

So today I took some photos of the more random things I want to work on with the fit whenever I start going back to the pick n' pulls again:

Here's how the door fittment looks right now, definitely needs more bending of the window frame back in. You can hear the window motor slow down a bit when it hits the spot that's off so at least I have a vague idea of the pivot point.

I'll pull and respray the grill, it's bleached along with a lot of the other plastic trim and bumpers. You can see the discoloration in this photo below:

There's also that crease in the fender. I've got a friend who manages a bodyshop who I need to get ahold of about that. See if we can pull it out in his free time.

The front and rear bumpers are scuffed and the rear has a downright puncture in it, I'll probably have a new set painted to replace these.

That black plastic bit near the tailgate is apparently a dealer addon option to protect the paint. I saw it while looking through the Honda accessory site.

This hideous thing is on the tailgate. The tracker has a similar issue that's not nearly as bad because at least the paint is (too) intact underneath.

I'll probably just put a magnet decal over it.

The radio in this is factory but it is having some issues. The buttons are not very responsive and I suspect it had something spilled on it at some point as some of them are sticky. I was going to put an android auto double din unit in it at some point, so it's on the list.

I've got a dashcam here that I'll install as well! It looks super easy given the layout of the car. I'll document that when I do it.

So here's a project for later down the line, but here's what one of the bottom rocker panel cover looks like on the driver's side:

I have no clue how that happens so I'm gonna replace it, it's one large panel down the bottom. I'm seeing white Fits show up at junkyards from time to time, and since I was thinking about putting white wheels on this, what about doing a combo? I saw this civic hatchback with a similar setup that doesn't look too bad:

Ignoring the context of the gif the white rocker panel looks kinda snazzy. This would be a bit stupider due to how the panel is laid out, but since I have to replace them and it's just clips as far as I can see it wouldn't hurt to try!

I still like white wheels regardless of how much of a pain they are to keep clean. All of the tire rack ones they want me to look at are 5 lugs, I will probably do the steel wheels painted white with some mudflaps to complete the "this car isn't a sports car but I want to pretend" look.

The wheels have a little bit of road rash on them.

As for the white wheels the 4x100 lug pattern is limiting my options but was just thinking about doing some white steel wheels and going back to the 15'' diameter wheels so I can have better pothole chances than the 16'' it has now. What do y'all think?

Also since the rain was coming down pretty hard I tried to clean up the garage a bit, I finally have some standing space in front of the Truck!

The Squire still blocks my water heater, my 8x8 garage workroom, my side access door, and pretty much everything else. I can't swap sides or else I won't be able to get into the house from the garage. Oops!

How much space I've got to the garage door:

on the plus side the driveway is very green!

It'll be nice to put work into something that will have some value when I'm done with it. Still waiting to hear about that '71 Buick.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 17, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Somebody more honda knowledgeable should chime in but are there other cars like the jazz with the same 4x100? If so getting a cheap OEM wheel set sand refinishing it in white might be cheaper than buying a new set?

Love the squire.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fits use timing chains, so you're good on that front.

Weird seeing a DFW dealer tag remains on an ELP car.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

^ That's good to know, I should have assumed as much. The accessory serpentine belt is what I'm referring to, it's showing some cracking and from what I see on the Fit forums they start to go around 90K miles.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Somebody more honda knowledgeable should chime in but are there other cars like the jazz with the same 4x100? If so getting a cheap OEM wheel set sand refinishing it in white might be cheaper than buying a new set?

Love the squire.

I need to look at some base model fits but I think they might have had hubcaps over steel wheels. If that's the case I could start grabbing them at the junkyards when I start going back.

I just checked the prices for the yard wheels and

I'd be stupid not to, stupider than usual I mean!

I took some more photos of random interior fiddly bits that I need to see about replacing. Shock tower covers and things like that are easy enough to pull and pay the $2.50 random trim price at the yard for. The window tint, as shown when I was talking about the driver's side door, is slightly messed up on all of the windows but there's a chunk taken out of the rear hatch tint, probably from slamming it down on something bulky. I also have to check the spare tire because it was very much used at some point judging by how dirty it is, whoever had it on drove it over some of those awful white gravel roads here with that super fine dust. Confusingly one of the two heat shieldings is missing under the hood.

I'm looking at photos of Fits to see if it came with a driver's side sheild and I'm seeing some with nothing there and some with what look like air intakes. The only thread I found about it was just someone trying to remove both of them and really makes me appreciate this forum over the Fit one:

Over my lunch break I'll look and see what's under the hood where the intake would be.

photos for the rest of it, I'm starting to think that it's really missing one! My '09 non sport owning freind in Cali is going to look at his later and see.

Also the jack is missing! That really cheeses me, I get using it for the tire change but how it didn't get put back baffles me.

Additional annoyances is the radio buttons are well worn, which I will be replacing the radio so it's whatever:

https://i.imgur.com/TRxtNPi.mp4

But also the driver's side door card is damaged. I read about how thin the plastic is on the arm-rest and it looks like someone already put too much weight on it and punched out the plastic under the fabric. I've read about strengthening the underside to stop this in the future, so whenever a nice Fit Sport shows up at the yard I'll take the doorcard and swap it.

https://i.imgur.com/Sgq1Ln5.mp4

I've got a big-rear end list of things to buy at this point for the Fit alone, I'm also going to clean up the Tracker this weekend if the weather is good.

I also took another dead branch down and on Friday night the Fit dodged hailpocalypse by a hair!

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 24, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

It was pretty much The Honda Wheel until they went five-lug. Don't know if EF Civic backspacing would play nice on a Fit but otherwise you can totally get your '90s tuner on.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

If they are that common that will help out loads in finding some replacement wheels.

I found the missing hood part, it's literally just a funnel for forcing air down into the rear of the engine where the actual intake is. I couldn't find it because it's technically a "cooling duct" and I was looking for intake parts. From what I'm reading the clips fail and people just pull them out. The general consensus is on the Fit forums if you're running the AC with an automatic the more it can breathe the better so I'll look for one in the yards.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 24, 2020

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I'm having a battle of self preservation because I just checked the local yards and there's a Fit Sport in my color now:

A different yard in the same chain has:

:crnasickos:

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Best to strike while the iron is hot. I love a good junkyard post, go do the needful.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Go go go go! Take pics and update love junkyard visits and scores

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

My first day off is Thursday, so I'll see about going down. Worst case it'll be Friday! The only thing that's been holding me back is the parts checkout: Even though everything is a fixed price and it moves fairly quickly, you still have to wait in a tiny room with 10 other people elbow to elbow while they process one at a time. If I go when the weather really sucks that'll keep the line down and everything else should be an easy in and out! I've got a run down old Timbuk2 bag I can throw in some extra gloves and crap to keep it all down as well.

If no other major emergencies come up I'll try for the following:

Fit:
*Rear Bumper
*BabyCarSeat rear belt anchor cover
*Strut tower covers
*Rocker Panel trim (preferrably the same color as mine if they're both not damaged since I didn't think I'd find them so fast!)
*That air cooling duct thing
*Driver's side door card
*Rear passenger seat right side headrest
*Tailgate emergency release cover
*Jack

The parts yard tends to push the cars around by the bumpers so hopefully the rear one isn't damaged.

I'll also try to take the radio out just to see how it comes apart for later.

Tracker:
*Everything I can get my hands on
*side plastic door guards
*OEM radio (just to have if I ever want to, like, be snobby at RadWood or something)
*Battery holder in the engine bay

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of it at the moment. I'll be a full PPE wearing goon because :fireman:

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 26, 2020

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
My knowledge about cars can fit on one side of a postage stamp, and this has been a thoroughly enjoyable read. I love how you tell your stories and hope you keep doing more.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

Thanks, this is definitely a "learn as I go" kind of thing, but tearing into that Nissan as much as I did has made me much more brazen!

Delving into the junkyard thing, I'll show you the 'holy grail' things I want to find for each car. Maybe someday I'll find these things, but they're weird options that I feel like would be the first thing to go in the yard and also go for mad money instantly online if they ever do show up:

Tracker:

This little altimeter and inclinometer combo seats into the molded divot on the dashboard and has a single power cable for a light inside. I'd love to modify it to run on a battery so I wouldn't have to drill into the dash to use it and have it fly off of my dashboard in a crash, hitting me in the face and killing me instantly. It'd be more for fun farting around on trails than a permanent install.

I know they were offered on US market Suzukis at least because YouTube car channel Cleetus McFarland drowned one in a lake. :smith:

Actually the international Suzuki accessory brochures are nuts, while the US one has a bike rack and extra speakers, the international brochures are packed:

Look how many roof colors you could choose!

You could even get a TV of some sort!

Although the '93 US brochure has this, which is 100% the kind of Tracker I can appreciate!

I have seen white Trackers with the magenta wheels, which was a special order you could do from the dealers:

Squire:

The '89 Ford accessory brochure shows a wind deflector for the Squire, it would be nice to have just to keep the back of the car a little less nasty.

I don't know if it would fit but the "Ford Recreation Table" which was offered for the previous generation of Squire would also be nice:

this would purely be a car show thing, but it does look like the tub of the squire will fit it.

Fit:

The Honda OEM accessory site offers a center console for a whopping $245 for Fits. You have to take out the armrest in the Sport's driver seat but it's worth it!

There's more stuff like this, but this is defintely some of the biggest wants if I can ever find them for cheap!

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 28, 2020

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

Here's the trip report from the junkyard! I didn't get to check out the pick n' pull with the Tracker, I took too long milling around the yard with the Fit. I might go next week or the week after. The yard had a requirement to wear facemasks, which was good, but there were about 20 people standing at the front entrance to get inside. There's not much point keeping 6ft from the person in front of me with 5 people standing within a 2ft radius behind me. They were filtering in people one at a time and processing them one at a time as well. Getting out with the parts was just as much of a chore as they had me wait outside and as soon as I entered to have my parts processed someone else entered with me and just stood right behind me without a facemask ( and got bitched out quite a bit about it ). I was glad to get out of there! I brought my 70% alcohol spray and doused everything and myself on the way out. The weather was nice and overcast but it got sunny and hot very quickly!

The fit was pretty trashed, the inside was some sorta sun-baked and the seats were kinda gross. It was a nice touch to put the entire demolished front end in a pair of garbage bags inside the car. The driver's side rocker panel was already gone. The rear bumper had a huge hole in it where it probably was rear ended during whatever crash it was in.

The door card looked in good enough shape to pull, it came out with little effort.

I also got the tailgate access panel cover which I wasn't charged for as well as the car-seat seatbelt anchor cover:

I got one of the shock tower covers, but due to how sun baked the inside was, it is a lighter black than my Fit is. Maybe some treatment will bring it back but it's not a huge deal for a two dollar part.

The big find was this!

This is an OEM cargo area cover that Honda wants something like $110 for! It's supposed to have a full install including a set of clips and fasteners that you install into the rear seats but this fit had none of that, which makes me wonder how they were using it. I picked that up because that's a nice thing to have, it makes a tray that lines up right with the rear window so you can't see the cargo space with the seats folded up.

The two straps you see on the sides are supposed to attach to two clips you install in the window that lift it upwards, and in the back there are flaps that are supposed to attach to fasteners you drill into the seatbacks. Without them they hang like this:

Here's a video showing the full install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBe59O7adjI

I could either remove the rear flap section and leave it as a tray or find the fasteners. As for the two strings, if I tie them to the lift-strut mounts it won't raise up AS much, but will still lift up. I can understand a bit why the junkyard car didn't have anything installed, it makes it very easy to remove for large loads.

Neither Fit at the junkyard had the hood ducting, or the JACK (probably for liability with people trying to use the OEM jacks while pulling parts) I'll probably just order the duct at this point. I'd like to have the engine running as it should ASAP, although if I wait a week or two I can check the other yard. I'll post an update later this week on installing the dashcam as well as how that door card cleans up.

So far on the shitlist it's:

Fit:
*Rear Bumper
✔️BabyCarSeat rear belt anchor cover
*Strut tower covers
*Rocker Panel trim (preferrably the same color as mine if they're both not damaged since I didn't think I'd find them so fast!)
*That air cooling duct thing
✔️Driver's side door card
*Rear passenger seat right side headrest
✔️Tailgate emergency release cover
*Jack

Here's some interesting finds while wandering the yard:

:rice:

There's still a hole in my soul that can only be filled by a Capri :piss:

These are all from the same car:

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 29, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If the seatbacks are metal you could replace the poppers with a couple of magnets for a better temporary installation.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I'll try a magnet on them and see what sticks. I'm not sure what the inside of the seats are made of since the snaps seem to screw in. I did find the replacement hardware if I went the proper install route. One thing that just dawned on me is that I could use a simple string setup and loop it around the posts for the head-rests.

https://www.collegehillshondaparts.com/v-2009-honda-fit-5-door--sport-sayama-plant--5-speed-automatic/accessory-components--cargo-cover-1

One other thing I forgot to add that the junkyard Fit had was the OEM wheel locks. They spray painted them orange at the junkyard, I had no luck in finding the key for them while digging around inside the car or I would have taken the set!

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Love finding cargo covers, one of my best finds ever was the mint condition roll up cargo cover in the exact gray of my interior for my Taurus wagon back in the day