Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Compensating for their length, no doubt! :v:

To contribute to the discussion, so far Good Hunting is probably the highlight of the episodes and I have a soft spot for Suits. The rest I appear to have contrary opinions to the good episodes: I liked Sonnie's Edge, Three Robots wasn't interesting to me and Yogurt was far too predictable given the current political atmosphere. Many of them spend too much time on world-building and not enough time developing the story. Beyond Aquila Rift is notable for this given that it introduces Greta sketchily as a person that left his life decades ago, then it was straight to loving like they were doing it daily. It made the reveal more effective, I guess, but what they say and what they do did not always connect.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Matwic posted:

It seems these two are based on short stories from Alastair Reynolds, I guess it's time to order his short stories collection.

Get House of Suns while you're out there, if you're looking for a good full novel of his to start with.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Well, not obvious, just doesn't go anywhere with it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

True, sorry, I was aiming for the pun and I missed.

The Witness needed something more. Causality loops don't reset knowledge but the end implies they're stuck in the cycle forever. Maybe don't be chasing a stranger shouting unintelligibly, next time?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

'Oh that guy I saw in the window is the same guy that murdered someone that looked a lot like me, loving chased me all the way from my apartment to my workplace and all the way back again, and is now lying dead because he cornered me while I had a gun. HMMMM BETTER CHASE HIM DOWN BECAUSE HE SAW ME!'

No gently caress that, you get out of dodge without looking back, like any sane person would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The ambiguity is intended, I feel. The direction was very careful in keeping the AI's perspective impersonal (fixed camera angle, no reaction until the delayed self-destruct). It plays to the idea that we have a tendency to anthropomorphize our creations when we've had a long history with them, for good (how the narrator experienced Lucky 13) or for ill (the death of the previous crews). It was one of the more effective episodes in my opinion, even when it's very Space Marine animated.