Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If I was looking to get into a random bracket I didn't know the password to fuckduke, FuckDuke, and fuckDuke would be my only guesses and I'd imagine I would be able to get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/KellisRobinett/status/1108186959770460162

I feel bad for this guy, two years in a row.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Not tournament related but Jesus Christ this family is cursed:

https://twitter.com/TheSchiffMan/status/1109586889068216322

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Avenatti went ahead with his announcement about Nike because he's smart like that (he's basically admitting to elements of the crime he's accused of). But anyway, he named DeAndre Ayton (again) and Bol Bol. He also tweeted a link to this article from 2017.

I would be underwhelmed if I actually expected anything to come of this from him. He also managed to misspell Adidas.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Holy poo poo, Arkansas fired Mike Anderson.

Not that he was amazing there I guess but that was just not on my radar as something that would happen.

e: Early speculation is they'll go after Kelvin Sampson.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 27, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

And Tech might be legit! If it weren't for K-State winning the conference too, this might almost be a respectable demise.

How did Tech lose twice to K State anyway? Dean Wade bamboozle people all night or something?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

elentar posted:

Various links seem to be trying to get me to feel sad for Tyler Hansbrough having to play in China after washing out of the NBA and that is just not gonna happen not ever no way.

Why in the world is this coming up now? It's not like he's only been there a couple of months or anything.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 4, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t think they can fire Shaka fresh off a tournament win of any kind, but I could see them making a run at Bruce Pearl if he’s still at Auburn next year.

I don't know, it's Texas. They can fire people at will if they choose to (well I guess anyone with the money to do so can), and they feel like they should be the best at everything. It's just a matter of whether they care enough about basketball to be mad enough to do it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I. M. Gei posted:

Firing Shaka after an NIT championship would be a PR nightmare from both the fans’ and the players’ perspectives.

I feel as though fans don't exist on a large enough level and players don't matter.

Like, maybe they stick with Shaka and that's ok. He might have earned it. I just don't think the decision makers care about either of these PR nightmare points.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Im curious to see what the AD does. He’s already the second highest SEC coach. So they match Calipari’s salary or beat it?

Seems like a bad idea in that he probably won't be worth that going forward, but a good idea in that Tennessee needs to keep whatever goodish coaches they have.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I really thought someone trying to steal Chris Beard would be blowing up this thread.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Redjakk posted:

Huh, I won the Goon Bracket and I don't even post here.

My Throwin Darts bracket absolutely dominated the Throwing Darts bracket I noticed when I joined the group, so I am pleased with my performance.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I still can't believe a guy blowing out his knee made one shining moment.

Yes it was one of the biggest moments of the tournament (especially since Auburn probably would have won with him?) but, like, the song seems like it shouldn't apply to devastating injuries.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I guess it was to set up that Bruce Pearl line and them overcoming it to beat Kentucky?

This might have been what they were doing but my brain kinda shut off after seeing the horrible injury again and I wasn't paying attention.

MourningView posted:

Cronin's teams are consistently good to very good in the regular season so I definitely don't think he's a bad coach, but he plays ultra slow and ugly basketball and has made it out of the first weekend once in his entire career. It's hard to see this going well.

My only thought was this is less of a disaster than they deserve after this search.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

curried lamb of God posted:

as bad as the Pac 12 is right now, why would anybody leave ASU for St. John's unless they were on the hot seat

He grew up in that general area seems to be the main selling point I guess? Plus they might throw a bunch of cash at him I suppose.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

...no, seriously, why?

Family stuff maybe? I'm sure he could earn some money overseas at least. Or maybe he just hates college or Bill Self or whatever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Or possibly he's just an idiot who still believes he's going to be a lottery pick and doesn't have the right people around him/won't listen to anyone else. That would make him dumb, but he'd hardly be the first.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
What exactly is toxic about St Johns out of curiosity? For someone who's only memory of the program at all was when they were good like 20+ years ago I was minorly surprised to hear like the third coach they were looking to hire bailed on them today.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ungratek posted:

Nobody wants to coach in the bronx for a cheap school in the 4-6th best conference, depending on the year

I get that but I didn't see them getting turned down by the guy coaching Iona...which I guess maybe I should have seen coming if I had paid more attention.

I guess St Johns has like four players they know will be there next year and no recruits coming in after looking it up?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/mellinger/status/1119331444814487553

I'm not sure how much or little this would mean for Kansas.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Udoka staying at Kansas

Just for you I randomly saw that Pizza Shuttle now has an Overland Park location. So if you want really lovely pizza at 3 in the morning you won't have to go all the way to Lawrence to get it the next time you visit KC.

I have no idea how that business can exist without desperately hungry college kids late at night.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

vikingstrike posted:

Um, you are forgetting Rick Barnes' new contract that pays him $5 million.

I'd forgotten about that too and...I have no idea how to have any reaction to it other than :lol:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

What do you think would be more embarrassing, losing a coach to Oklahoma State or losing one to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

My god you have no idea how much joy this would bring me. I would send a thank you note to Kim Anderson for coaching my team through a hard time just because I was so happy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It's weird that Shaka's whole...mystique or whatever is the havoc defense. And I can't remember his teams being all that great defensively recently.

Or even exciting. It's like he abandoned the idea when he went to Texas.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the mean lunch lady posted:

just need to switch to quarters and the ability to advance the ball and we're (mostly) good

Make held balls jump balls. This would probably be the hardest thing to get through somehow.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
In news that absolutely no one cares about (I don't even care and I'm posting this):

https://twitter.com/BlairKerkhoff/status/1141874963118546944

Good though, UMKC in the WAC was dumb as hell. Now I can ignore them in my own time zone most of the time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Declan MacManus posted:

oh no what about the future of uconn football

More importantly this could mean I don't get to make jokes about the Civil Conflict anymore.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Troy Queef posted:

as long as Self's still head coach they will pull every string and call in every favor to make sure that doesn't happen

Self was open to a charity game before the season once though, let me write another article about how accommodating he is and how much money he, personally, raised.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/CJMooreHoops/status/1176290767545016321

Look at this history of lawlessness, death penalty is the only way to deal with it in my opinion.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/themattgalloway/status/1177365184568016896

Look, I agree that all of this is bullshit. I want players to be paid, I don't really give a poo poo about Adidas facilitating that.

But man Bill Self comes off to me as a very slimy person.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This whole Snoop thing is hilarious. Paywall for most of you I'm sure, but the important part.

quote:

Part of me still can’t believe it’s all true. You could not make this up.

Jeff Long, who really might be overmatched as Kansas’ athletic director, put out a statement that claimed confusion over what Snoop Dogg may’ve meant by “acrobatic dancers” performing at Late Night in the Phog, the basketball team’s annual tipoff and recruiting event. Long later updated the statement to remove the phrase, which just made the whole thing more ridiculous.

And, good grief, we’re in the fifth paragraph and just now mentioning that Snoop, who was paid by Adidas, the shoe company that’s been shown to have broken the NCAA’s dumb rules about paying players, shot fake money at KU basketball players.

Oh-Oh-Oh! And here we are in the sixth paragraph and we’re just now mentioning that all of this happened a few days after KU announced the Snoop Dogg show with a video of basketball coach Bill Self wearing a gold $ chain over an Adidas T-shirt — no KU logo, just Adidas — and a few hours after Self told the crowd “bad publicity is better than no publicity.”

Mellinger is a KU guy and relatively grounded, so he's not biased against them or pearl clutching, it's just that the whole is thing stupidly funny. I'd agree with him that it's cool Kansas is telling the NCAA to gently caress off while at the same time being incredibly goddamned stupid with how far they went about doing it.

e: I'll add this just in case, most of you already know it.

quote:

You would need a healthy imagination fueled by all the substances Snoop and his crew consumed on Friday to come up with a more farcical construct:

▪ a literal federal case made of protecting the antiquated, dishonest and hypocritical rules in place to keep self-serving and redundant administrators able to buy a boat.

▪ a basketball program re-upping with the company it somehow-with-a-straight-face claimed to be victimized by.

▪ twisted logic and exploitative NCAA rules that essentially forced Kansas to label a shoe rep as a booster in order to preserve the eligibility of an innocent athlete, and then an administrative process that is now using that label to hang a program whose primary offense has been doing the same stuff everyone else is doing except on FBI wiretaps and way sloppier and with a shoe rep who appears to be a dunce.

This is a shambles and top-to-bottom farce. How did we get here? People are in jail for helping the talent in a multi-billion dollar business get a small fraction of their worth. A coach with a $50 million contract is mocking the NCAA one day, saying bad publicity beats no publicity the next, and then claiming shock when the hired entertainment turned out to be one of the most famous gangster rappers of all time.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 9, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Asleep Style posted:

About drat time. Bill self must have been fired

Saw someone say "Bill Self must be in real trouble" and that makes as much sense as anything else.

Like, look at this utter bullshit from the guy who is 100% the only reason the game hasn't been played:

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1186456523502952448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

OK, but give us football games too so Mizzou can dominate them in some of the games

I mean, possibly do that considering Saturday.