Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Those alignment numbers all look pretty good. They’re in the range of allowable, at least. The cross caster is at the limit, but that will just cause it to pull, not be light like you’re seeing.

Are the tires mounted the right way round? Ie not rotating backwards to the way they’re supposed to. Are there any clunks or knocking noises that would indicate something loose in the suspension? I’d associate lightness like you’re seeing with too much air in the tires, have you checked the contact patch to make sure the pressure you’re running is appropriate? Have you checked the pressure with a different gauge?

I’d recommend finding a friend to swap wheels with briefly to see if the issue is still there, help narrow your problem search.

Failing all that, you should sell me the car lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Looking at the alignment numbers again, is the front toe a problem? The left is within range and the right is way out of spec - negative toe reduces straight line stability, yes?

Great suggestion on the tire direction. Unfortunately they were installed correctly. Air pressure was the first thing I checked - they were high from the tire shop but not that high. I was expecting/hoping they were 45 psi but they were only 5-6 psi high. Tried an older gauge and it showed lower by two psi, I definitely trust my main one as it's a higher quality unit. I also checked wheel lug torque.

I'll suggest the idea of swapping wheels... it's a lot to ask of someone but definitely a good troubleshooting idea.

I’d assumed those were your before numbers. If you look at the second image, they seem to match the before column fairly closely. If those are in fact the as-left numbers, then yeah, it’s no wonder it drives weird. Putting weight in the drivers seat is definitely a thing for alignments, and probably absolutely necessary for an Elise given that even a skinny guy is 15% of the cars curb weight. See what the guys on lotustalk say.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Thanks! I had not gone down that path but it's looking more and more like I'll need to remove the front clam and check everything. That really chaps my rear end. The front clam is the one thing I never tackled on my Elise and it's full of "while you're in there" stuff like the oil line recall, radiator, A/C relay, fluids, SS brake lines and flush... yikes.

On second thought; sounds like the car is more trouble than it’s worth. Best thing to do would be to sell it to me to save you from future heartache

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

You’re right, the after numbers are good. drat. I really hate the idea of taking the front clam off looking for *things*. That’s one thing I managed to avoid doing on my Elise.

I’ll ask the nerds on LT about the weight. I’m inclined to think it’s not a huge deal since this guy has done a lot of Elises/Exiges in the past but we’ll see.

Everybody has a price...

Any chance you could pull a wheel and snake a borescope in to look at the rack mounts to avoid having to pull the front clam? I also suffer from the “while you’re in theres”, so I understand the hesitation to do something that increases the opportunity to find something wrong. If you’re in the Bay Area, I could bring my scope down to take a look.

If the guy that aligned it is a lotus guy, it was probably done right. I’d be more concerned if it was his first time.

And yes, everybody does have a price, but in all seriousness I don’t even know if I fit in an Elise, so it’s all just navel-gazing anyway.