Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Gloomy Rube posted:

I remember this game, I think I got to part 3 or 4 before ending up losing interest. I'd been playing Legion Saga 1 and 2 and was looking for more stuff along the same vein (So not Legion Saga 3, ho ho) and came across this. I'm not sure what turned me off it, but it might have just been that I was trying to marathon it all at once or something. Plunging always felt like a weird system to me.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes and what stuff I missed! Thanks for doing this LP!

Ah, Legion Saga. I remember playing at least 1 and 2 of that. Not sure if I played 3. It sometimes feels like its been forgotten compared to a lot of contemporaries. I barely remember anything about them too.

When I was considering doing this LP, my other options were the Laxius Saga, the whole series, no joke. I legitimately like Laxius Power 1 and 3... from a gameplay perspetive. However, the writing over the whole series has made me laugh more than anything I've ever played, and its completely unintentional. It's not so bad its good. It's so psychotic its hilarious. The initial trilogy were big RPGMaker 2k classics too. In fact, Laxius Power 3 beat The Way Episode 6 at the Game of the Year Misao (Though The Way Episode 6 won TONS of other awards for that year). The Way fans had a real stick up their rear end about that, even ten years later when the admin of the Way forms made a post in 2015 on the dead The Way forums where he complained about it. The Laxius Force trilogy though is exceptionally bad to play and I only finished them because I wanted to see what new insanity would come next in the plot, and I was never disappointed in that regard.

The other series I considered was Master of the Wind which was released episodically like The Way. The first arc released in 2005, when The Way was wrapping up. Arc IV won the 2007 Misao Game of the Year and Arc VII, the finale got the 2011 GOTY. Probably deserved it too. I really like that series a lot. It's much more the typical JRPG game than The Way is, but the cast and story are what make it. I guess the writing can be REALLY hamfisted about its themes and morals at times though. I do like the plot though. It never delves into save the world stuff, and the villains are the underdogs trying to manipulate and sway people to their ideology without using mass mind control or some crap like that.

Last Scenario and Exit Fate would have also been options if they hadn't had pretty good LPs done already. They're both fantastic games you should play or read the LPs on the LPArchive... And they're both made by a goon! The same goon!

What else is good? I liked Ara Fell a bunch but didn't finish it...

I have a real soft spot for Pokemon Reborn. It's the first Pokemon game I've played since Gen 3 so I had a blast. Some of the field effects are complete FUCKS, though. And I laughed at the writing a whole bunch, but sometimes its just too offensively bad to be hilarious. And that's REALLY saying something after having laughed at and loved the terrible writing of 7 Laxius games. But someone started a LP of that already, so oh well.

I can't think of anything else. I used to spend so much of my free time downloading rpgmaker games but I can barely remember any off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I think I played the first Laxius Power once... There was a sword dude and his elf girlfriend and his nun friend and their dog and their cat and their drunk teacher and they all wanted to go through a forest or something. That's about the point when I stopped playing, because the game had just given me six party members with maybe three character traits between them.

Are you planning to show the stuff hidden in the Game Over screen?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Fleshwit posted:

Ah, Legion Saga. I remember playing at least 1 and 2 of that. Not sure if I played 3. It sometimes feels like its been forgotten compared to a lot of contemporaries. I barely remember anything about them too.

Legion Saga 1 and 2 were basically Suikoden clones, and it really was to its benefit. Especially in 2, where it really came into its own and had a great cast and story and a good major battle system.

Legion Saga 3 was the dev deciding that being inspired by another game was wrong and bad and threw out all the fun parts and tried to make original, janky new mechanics while also being overly lengthy and wordy and bluh. I bounced off of it pretty quick, since it was basically a completely unrelated game that seemed to be written for the crowd that thought Final Fantasy 7 was the perfect storytelling example.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

I think I played the first Laxius Power once... There was a sword dude and his elf girlfriend and his nun friend and their dog and their cat and their drunk teacher and they all wanted to go through a forest or something. That's about the point when I stopped playing, because the game had just given me six party members with maybe three character traits between them.

Are you planning to show the stuff hidden in the Game Over screen?

Yeah, it took me a bit to track down what it says but I found it, and will bring it up soon or later.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 2: Part 6: Rhue of Landorin.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 28, 2020

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emlVmR6zE_E
forgot to mention this plays during the first part of the flashback scene.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well that story has more holes than swiss cheese.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Well that story has more holes than swiss cheese.

Definitely. My personal theory the first couple times I played this, was that Rhue was so traumatized he remembered his assailants as beasts and they were actually related to OR one and the same as the men that gave him the sword. Though I had no clue why.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 26, 2019

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 2: Part 7: How Sweet RNG Is ALSO How I Learnt To Stop Worrying and Love my Sword ALSO Traziun's Food Ordering Advice ALSO A LOT OF OTHER STUFF

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 28, 2020

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
The writing in the Lide arc gets pretty drat stilted, especially as it gets closer to the end.

Woog
May 2, 2013

Fleshwit posted:

The writing in the Lide arc gets pretty drat stilted, especially as it gets closer to the end.

Suprising. Not really

Also just lol at Rhue not knowing why he knocked the sword into the pits.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I can't get a bead on Rhue. Just talk to the woman, you're gonna look shady as gently caress if you do this.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Woog posted:

Suprising. Not really

Also just lol at Rhue not knowing why he knocked the sword into the pits.

The implication is meant to be that he didn't have control of himself for a moment, but it comes out a little goofy as written. Lun's definitely no perfect writer.

A friend of mine played the series a few years ago at my recommendation. He enjoyed it so much that he nearly did the LP instead, before realising how much work it is. He is now reading this LP, and he was shocked by how much Lun really took the the hammer and nails approach with the end of this arc, which is definitely the case.

I've always felt Lun excels more in plotting, setting and character design more than his actual dialogue. He does improve over the series, and... a big reason for that is he has far less exposition to get out there. Though, I never understood why he bothered when the exposition is largely in the Guidebook... Though the rarity of the Guidebook now kind of retroactively justifies it.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 2: Part 8: Marna Stretch Part 1: Gaius, Headhunters, Rats, Woolies and Zealots.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 28, 2020

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

I can't get a bead on Rhue. Just talk to the woman, you're gonna look shady as gently caress if you do this.

The best thing to keep in mind with Rhue is that he's VERY impulsive, actually is the kind of shady type at times, and he will brook no delay on his journey that he doesn't decide upon himself. He already thinks Kloe has it out for him too. And Strata is very dangerous.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I like how he's still introducing himself as from the super cursed stretch

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

quote:

You may have to do some jumping to cross the river in some places on this Stretch, so be ready for that.
Also, this map is a little bit old. It may not be completely accurate.
And by that he means "This map was changed for version 2.0."

quote:

ORSON: GO GET DAT WOOLIE!
WOOLIE!
YEAH!
Woolies are the best.

quote:

I like how he's still introducing himself as from the super cursed stretch
I think he remembers not to maybe once in the entire series?

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 2: Part 9: Marna Stretch Part 2: So long Marna!

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 28, 2020

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 2 Finale: Turnway and Murder

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 28, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I can see how this game became popular but goddamn is the plot ever frustrating. It feels like we're doomed to burn bridges with everyone.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Oddities.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 28, 2020

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 3: Part 1: Kaves and Krav's.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 29, 2020

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I played this when I was a stupid teenager and still remember thinking that it was an overcomplicated mess, but it was so drat earnest that I made it to the end. Looking forward to see what I missed.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 3: Part 2: Blows to the Head.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 29, 2020

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I think I can explain the Purpose of the Way line. I would not recommend people who haven't played the series click this.

Very early Christianity, we're talking when St. Paul was alive, was called "The Way." See Acts.

The games are rife with mostly subtle and some not-so-subtle references to Christianity. Slade's skill, Outer Darkness, is in fact one, but you would never notice it being one until later. Most people would think it is just a cool attack name until they start noticing other references, many of which are, again, subtle.

There's therefore two ways to read the line.

1) God is truth. Fairly simple.

2) Purpose as lowercase. The purpose of going through the Way is to find the truth, implying that the Purpose does not exist as a separate entity but is in fact an anthropomorphized abstract concept. In 2 Peter 2:2, Peter refers to following Christ as "The Way of Truth." Notice that you found the line in Episode 2, which is either coincidence or a blatant reference.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 2, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I feel like too many people in this game have a habit of slashing first and asking questions later.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

I think I can explain the Purpose of the Way line. I would not recommend people who haven't played the series click this.

Very early Christianity, we're talking when St. Paul was alive, was called "The Way." See Acts.

The games are rife with mostly subtle and some not-so-subtle references to Christianity. Slade's skill, Outer Darkness, is in fact one, but you would never notice it being one until later. Most people would think it is just a cool attack name until they start noticing other references, many of which are, again, subtle.

There's therefore two ways to read the line.

1) God is truth. Fairly simple.

2) Purpose as lowercase. The purpose of going through the Way is to find the truth, implying that the Purpose does not exist as a separate entity but is in fact an anthropomorphized abstract concept. In 2 Peter 2:2, Peter refers to following Christ as "The Way of Truth." Notice that you found the line in Episode 2, which is either coincidence or a blatant reference.

Oh, I actually meant the large bit of what seems to be mostly random text. I had an idea of number 2 since that's something implied by the plot eventually, but explaining it in greater detail (especially the Outer Darkness name, which I didn't know was a reference, since I know gently caress all about much to do with religion.) was very helpful, thank you.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

I feel like too many people in this game have a habit of slashing first and asking questions later.

It's kind of funny sometimes because it feels like half of everyone is an impulsive psycho or just nasty and the other half, even if they seem or are genuinely nice, have agendas that involve violence. Except for Kloe and Lyrra. They're good.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I believe you have Slade's skill, "Outer Darkness", as "Out Darkness" in the post.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

I believe you have Slade's skill, "Outer Darkness", as "Out Darkness" in the post.

Fixed, thank you.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Here's hoping we can get a new page soon; because it is getting really hard to load this one.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
I just picked up a doujin rpg called The Sacred Tears TRUE on Steam. I think it's made in RPGMaker 2k3 as opposed to merely 2k like The Way. Seems it was made in 2005, and only got translated to English in 2014-2015 by, from the sounds of it, some fans. Has an interesting little quick, if somewhat random, custom battle system. I'm still only relatively early in it, so it's still at the cute and lighthearted stage, but it supposedly gets dramatic later on. Very promising start though.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 3: Part 3: caves, caves, caves! too many caves lately!

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 29, 2020

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Also because this thread doesn't get the most posts I encourage people to talk about other rpgmaker games as well. Or ask inane questions. As long as you don't spoil anything major.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm starting to suspect we're not a nice person.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I can see why this episode is disliked.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I can see why this episode is disliked.

I'd guess 3/4 of the episode is boring rear end caves and canyons with easy and tedious puzzles. It's really odd because this is also the episode where the story and characters start picking up. Rhue has goals even!

But we're stuck in boring places with nowhere near enough notch items to make it worthwhile but there's way more monsters than ever before for some reason and you still need that AR, so hell, you better fight them anyway. I don't think there's any other time in the series where there's such a serious lack of notch items. Most of the time you'll be staying right on top of them, rather than having nil for most of the time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Now is not the time. If you want to talk to her continue on to Estrana.

WHY!?

You're literally making it a bigger hassle for the both of you!

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

WHY!?

You're literally making it a bigger hassle for the both of you!

The only explanation I have for that is possibly that she wasn't in condition to speak and the Blue Scarves camp was still only apparently metres away, but that's just a guess. Slade's also a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
I guess you can also add to that that Rhue has in a short time, been rescued by Slade from a cell and a scheduled execution, lied to him about being a Blue Scarve, and when Slade asked if he would help take Cetsa in to face justice, Rhue demurred, because he has his own personal goals involving Cetsa (unknown to Slade, but if Cetsa saw an obvious hook and said she knew where Serena was or that she was Serena... who knows what Rhue would do). He's not the most trustworthy seeming person.

It's a bit shaky, but I think that's the intent? Slade does say go to Estrana, with his sword still at the ready.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 3, 2019