Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Woog posted:

That guy standing to the right of the headhunter and above the guard.

Right. You're not too likely to notice him the first time you play, since your attention is on Lexus, Rhue and the dialogue box but he closely follows Lexus in and out. I actually totally forgot about him until I was making the previous update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Rhue's a massive massive massive oval office, but Strata has no way of knowing that so he seems like at least as much of an awful fucker tbh.

Why couldn't Traziun be the main character? Or Kloe? gently caress this rear end in a top hat. Him and Strata both. They deserve each other.

Hammurabi fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 18, 2019

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Hammurabi posted:

Rhue's a massive massive massive oval office, but Strata has no way of knowing that so he seems like at least as much of an awful fucker tbh.

Why couldn't Traziun be the main character? Or Kloe? gently caress this rear end in a top hat. Him and Strata both. They deserve each other.

This makes me very excited to see what your opinion of Rhue and Strata will be like by the time we're done with Episode 5.

As for Traziun and Kloe as leads... Traziun's one of the big mysteries of the series, so he wouldn't work... Unless you mean someone with a personality like his, which could be fine. But I'd find the series far less interesting in that case. Rhue's temperament worsens over the course of the series, and it's one of the most interesting aspects to me.

Kloe doesn't really feel like lead material to me. None of the female characters do... except for Lexus. Were the story not what it is, I could see her making a great lead character.

As for Strata, I just have a soft spot for antagonists that talk poo poo, but actually have the competence to back up their words. Also psychos that love to fight and/or kill, especially if they're amusing while doing it. They might often be shallow and lack motivation, but... something about that just endears them to me.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 4: Part 3: It's Murder On The Dancefloor.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 29, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game needs to work on the climaxes to its side events. Like let Rhue accomplish something

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
This entire segment is so weird. :allears:

The great part about the whole Estrana sequence is that just about everything changes once you replay the game. Like that blue stalker guy, there's no way you'd pay enough attention to notice him in the first scenes.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

This entire segment is so weird. :allears:

The great part about the whole Estrana sequence is that just about everything changes once you replay the game. Like that blue stalker guy, there's no way you'd pay enough attention to notice him in the first scenes.

Funny enough, I actually did notice him my first time playing. But this time I didn't and I even forgot one little relevant aspect of Lexus' character until I was previewing the update post. If I'd remembered, I probably would have pointed him out in the actual update.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 4: Part 4: Illuminati This.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 29, 2020

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Those arrows are only supposed to show up if you select "No Puzzles" I think. A few of them are bugged and always show up, I fixed them in my game along with a couple other things.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was an okay segment. It's nice when Rhue is not a total dick because he can actually interact with people. This game works a lot better when Rhue has someone to talk to and when it lets him accomplish his goals.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 4: Part 5: Market Day!

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 29, 2020

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 4: Part 6: Qualifiers!

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 29, 2020

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
This is an interesting game. Thanks for LPing it, it sounds wonky enough I don’t think I could play through it, but its pretty neat how all these systems were implemented.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Fleshwit posted:

Yeaaa!!! Go Rhue!!!

That's the goofiest-looking face graphic I've seen thus far.

Lun has put a shitload of effort into the project already so it's understandable that he wants to cut corners while preserving a level of consistency by editing existing face graphics, but man has that exercise not aged well.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Leroy Dennui posted:

That's the goofiest-looking face graphic I've seen thus far.

Lun has put a shitload of effort into the project already so it's understandable that he wants to cut corners while preserving a level of consistency by editing existing face graphics, but man has that exercise not aged well.

Given this in the credits, I'm not sure if those credited merely provided a few base expressions and Lun mix and matched the rest, or maybe they only made one face for each character and Lun slapped all the rest together himself. That Lexus faceset definitely looks uh....................... edited.

The other thing is that, I remember reading Lun was actually really unhappy with the style the facesets use but felt like he had to to make them really all fit together and with some of the more default ones he used. Something like that. I don't remember if he said what style he'd rather have gone with.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 28, 2019

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Lexus is an edit of a commonly used face, so I'm pretty sure I've seen that expression before. I didn't find that, but...

It could have been worse. A lot worse.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

Lexus is an edit of a commonly used face, so I'm pretty sure I've seen that expression before. I didn't find that, but...

It could have been worse. A lot worse.

Yeah, I thought as much. And befitting Kloes initially small role, both her faceset and ingame sprite are default RTP I'm pretty sure. The sprite definitely is anyway.

Edit: Those closed eyes facesets remind me of the rebel aliens from The X-Files.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
The portraits where they have their eyes closed look awful and horrifying. The shading makes it look like their eyes are open and just weirdly flesh-colored without any irises or pupils. They look like demons.

Except for Bandana man. He looks decent.

Hammurabi fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 29, 2019

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 4: Part 7: Lab Work!

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 4, 2020

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 4: Part 8: Enhanced Lab Work!

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 4, 2020

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Nice spoiler on the identity of Red Zero

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

A two turn delay on moves is bad unless they get some crazy multiplier that makes it worthwhile. This game's design is real strange

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fleshwit posted:

The first line is "There is no one!"
The other line has a 1 in it so uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I've seen a 1 used to indicate a Q or a Z in codes like this.

Edit: The second word is "she". The third one is probably "key" (but could be "jew" or "lez"). Even without the one in the first word, I don't see any obvious way to make it intelligible.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 7, 2019

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I found an old post that suggests adding 1 to the first word in the second line and possibly the first letter of the second word.

So
73176 743 539.
becomes 84287 843 539.
"That's the key."

The key being that since there's no 1 in phone code, you need to add 1 to the numbers to get the first word. No idea why it's also needed for the second word, but maybe it's a mistake?

84287 854 640.
Adding 1 to all words only produces gibberish.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 4: Part 9: Wrapping Up The Lab Work.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 4, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay cool so we can absorb souls as well as rocks, neat.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Okay cool so we can absorb souls as well as rocks, neat.

Do you remember what happened when Rhue mercy-killed Jed, Lyrra's father? That was when he got the Fire Edge and Air Edge weapon auras. And then shortly after, when Strata pushed him into the Pits, he had the dream about the night of the Landorin Massacre where he was searching for Lyrra and the still unseen Jerruh.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Calling it now, I'm gonna guess Rhue did the Landorin massacre.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Of course this does lead to the important question: When Rhue found one of his auras in a treasure chest back in Episode 2 I think, what was really in there?

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

Of course this does lead to the important question: When Rhue found one of his auras in a treasure chest back in Episode 2 I think, what was really in there?

He's found definitely 2, maybe even 3 or 4 in treasure chests at this point. I'm not sure Lun put much thought into it beyond "Need a way for players to get more patterns!", but I've always liked imagining there's bodies crammed inside and Rhue's too demented to comment much on it.

Note that Traziun does give you the tutorial on patterns and flows which I think means finding auras in chests might be normal. For some reason.

Maybe a Forerunner did it.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Traziun just says the aura's been embedded in Rhue's sword for a while. Maybe where auras come from isn't common knowledge, or maybe Traziun just doesn't care if Rhue has killed people before. He doesn't seem like he would.

On the other hand, forerunners stuffing their dead in treasure chests so that wanderers can absorb their auras is hilarious and also makes a weird amount of sense. Like a part of them living on and all that.

Fun thing, remember how Rhue was really keen on seeing Kloe's execution? Maybe he was hungry.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 4: Part 10: The Setup.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 18, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What exactly posses these people to think that they can kill Rhue after he bailed them all out?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Hubris, I'd imagine.

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011
Episode 4: Part 11: L vs L.

Fleshwit fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 18, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Rhue can you please stop burning bridges with everyone for like 2 seconds??

Friendofdean
Aug 21, 2015
I played this series once a long time ago (at least 5 years or so I think) and so I had completely forgotten just how good Rhue is at destroying his relationships. I wish that he was better at dealing with people, but I suppose if he were then the game would probably have been over by now.

I'm glad to see somebody remembers this game though. I followed a video LP of it a while ago but the maker seems to have disappeared. A shame really as he was just a little way into chapter 6 and I never finished that one.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Lun is desperate to not show any other plunges on screen isn't he?

Iraeviel
Feb 28, 2015
Really enjoying this LP, thanks for showing it off. Good work Fleshwit :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleshwit
Apr 25, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Lun is desperate to not show any other plunges on screen isn't he?

You know, that's never occurred to me before but it's true.

We did see the Kygar and Traziun plunge way back in episode 2, and we will see a another plunge before long, but yeah.

As, if they're not vital to the story, Lun does seem to do he damndest to keep us from seeing them. Rhue missed every single plunge Lexus did except for her very first qualifier which we didn't even get to see ourselves and have only Rhue's word to take that she's all that good.

Iraeviel posted:

Really enjoying this LP, thanks for showing it off. Good work Fleshwit :)

Thank you! As I've explained in this thread before, for all its flaws and the complaining I do about much of the gameplay, and even a fair amount of the writing, I really, truly love this series.... Just mostly for its second half.

I've always felt uhh... the completely amateur stuff tends to be a bit underrepresented on LP. Niche games made by professionals? Indie studios/devs? Sure, you'll find plenty of LPs of those. Sometimes even multiple for the same game.. But rank amateurs fumbling around at making their crap? LP's of such peoples games are not unheard of, of course, but they tend to be of the funny bad/weird stuff. The thing is though, there's tons of good stuff out there that definitely deserves showing off, that hardly anyone has heard of unless you're a part of some very specific community, like the RPGMaker community, or a modding community for specific games (DOOM wads, Thief Fanmissions, X-Piratez, The XCOM Files and stuff like that comes to mind). And RPGMaker 2k/2k3 games tend to be even more amateur than most, since you didn't even need to know how to program to use those.

I actually would like to show off a lot of these things in the future. I only know of two completed LPs for RPGMaker games, and those are Last Scenario, and Exit Fate, which are both two of the best RPGMaker games (if you ask me) that got a lot of attention on SA because... they were made by the same goon. I actually don't think they caught on very much in the regular RPGMaker community. Not nearly as well known as The Way, A Blurred Line, ALTER AILA, OFF and stuff like that, at any rate.

But uh, despite Last Scenario and Exit Fate probably being technically better than The Way in every way, including the actual quality of writing, I actually love The Way a lot more. It's hard to explain, but I've only played those two games twice in like, what? 13 years or however many they've been out now? I keep coming back to The Way though. Over and over. I think its because, all told, Last Scenario is ultimately a pretty standard Final Fantasy homage even if executed and written very well, having some good twists. Same goes for Exit Fate as a Suikoden 2 homage.

The Way, faults and... more faults, aside, is very different. It's definitely it's own beast. It's not the only game to have a complete fuckwit (a deliberate one at that, and one I find very sympathetic, personally) as the lead, but there's all these other things that go hand in hand with Rhue, along with the.... uh.... resolution we ultimately get to -most- of the important questions, and the mystery of The Way and the strangeness of the series in itself. Don't worry, I personally feel the big reveals of the series are well worth the wait, but they wont start coming for a fair while yet. Not until Episode 6... near the end, for the Big One.

By the way, to the one guy that liked Legion Saga for being a lot like Suikoden? You'd probably really loving love Exit Fate. It's a loving homage to Suikoden 2. It doesn't quite reach the heights of Suikoden 2 (but then again, very few JRPGs do), but it's definitely better than Suikoden 1, and I like Suikoden 1 a bunch. It's great.