Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Season 1 thread

Season 2 thread

Season 3 thread

Didn't see a thread - premiere was very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
wtf was with Wags being almost bigoted out of nowhere

the same character who chewed someone out for eating sushi incorrectly just going full Rumsfield at a room of Arabs??

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite line was “I’d slap you if I didn’t think it would turn you on” and then Chuck’s bashful reaction

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I love how Taylor keeps compromising and inching closer and closer to becoming Axe, while everyone around Taylor buys the BS about doing poo poo differently.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ah good a thread was made, happy to pass off those thread-starting duties.

The barrage of cultural references really bugged me in this episode for some reason, maybe it just came off as a bit too forced. It's definitely par for the course, and I do like the show overall, so probably having Wags drop like 8 of them in the meeting with a definitely real Arab nation was a bridge too far for me.

Taylor looking hot as hell presenting as a woman wasn't something I was expecting, given that they were meeting with an Arab nation I was expecting them to show up in full islamic body covering, so that was a fun swerve. Makes me look forward to seeing the actor in John Wick 3, their look in that isn't too different from Taylors and I'd been assuming they'd be presented as non-binary there too since that's the kind of extra character flourish I'd expect them to put in there, but now I'm kind of hoping to see them turn on the traditional feminine charm or charisma at some point in that movie.

I'm a sucker for that kind of "swap your way up" development so that was fun to see Chuck do, and I liked that it brought in the parking pass at the end instead of it being the thing he started the swap with. It's also super interesting to see him at such a low point where he's not even willing to try to get a gun permit without being pushed into it, given where last season left off I thought he'd be launching right into a solid plan for revenge. Having Wendy get one of the swap elements without Chuck even being called over to the table was really notable to me too, there's always been that power disparity between them in many ways and having her get this pretty big favor for a literal 1-2 hours of her time while all he has to offer is a parking pass was fun. Given the reference to Chuck's S&M interests there's also that added layer of this basically being a professional and public expression of that dynamic, they didn't really make that explicit in the scene but I caught a quick little twinge from Giamatti that at least leaves that as a possibility.

It's gonna be real interesting to see how Chuck gets into that AG race when Blackjack has what should be a sure thing to take him down. I'd be shocked if they go in this direction, but it'd be wild if Chuck was just like "publish it all, who cares it's 2019" and campaigned while acknowledging that he enjoys kinky sex. It's certainly more ideal to neutralize Foley another way but that'd be the more fun path to take for me as a viewer.

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

wtf was with Wags being almost bigoted out of nowhere

the same character who chewed someone out for eating sushi incorrectly just going full Rumsfield at a room of Arabs??

Wags has always been a supreme rear end in a top hat and he's never reacted well to being cornered or feeling weak (see his tirade with the attorney who stole his precious grave spot last season, for instance). While he's come off as progressive and a defender of what he sees as the right thing to do (sushi scene) or people he likes (Taylor steam room scene), I find it very easy to believe he's got some people he's not tolerant towards. I also find it equally believable that even if he doesn't believe a word of what he's saying, he'll say it if he thinks it'll help close the deal or to hurt/coerce someone into doing what he wants. There's also a big element of 'This is Axe Cap's big swinging dick here and I'm gonna swing it" to Wags dealing with the Arabs, he's been used to dictating terms just like this for a long time, going back to before the start of the show presumably, and trying to do that from a position of weakness probably makes him turn his normal attitude up to 11. That's just me doing my thing and overanalyzing this goofy show though.

A fun premiere, my only true regret is that they didn't give us the ultimate curveball by having Axe actually legitimately stop messing with Taylor and show that he's changed somewhat from his attitude at the start of the show. You could then have Taylor keep poking at him (easy to want to go on offense when you know you don't need defense) and then you get the retaliation and all the trouble that comes with it. I'd have loved to see that inevitable scene of Axe going postal in Wendy's office over how he had finally done the right thing, the mature thing, set his anger aside, and they screwed with him anyway and now he'll never make that mistake again. Maybe that'll be a story development at some point down the line, Axe has been doing crazy poo poo constantly and with how it's blown up in his face as much as helped him (RIP his marriage and seeing his kids all the time), and with the canon best psychiatrist on the planet working with him, he really should be self-aware enough to rev the revenge/lashing out engine down, and that's certainly an idea Wendy's been trying to convey to him over the course of the show.

Sorry for the big ol' post, I tend to get it out of my system over time. Kind of in a revved up mode myself seeing all these characters again.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I love this show so much, Chuck and Axe being on the same team is so satisfying.

Btw. I have been wondering a while now, what is everybody working for the government wearing one of those american flag pins?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oasx posted:

Btw. I have been wondering a while now, what is everybody working for the government wearing one of those american flag pins?

Pretty much every politician worldwide does that IRL now. It's dumb as hell.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Oasx posted:

I love this show so much, Chuck and Axe being on the same team is so satisfying.

I got a kick out of Chuck calling Axe up and being like "I need this whole school moved" and Axe is just like yeah sure np buddy. Also hilarious that it's because the diplomat's super privileged step-son just didn't want to move, all those hoops jumped by Chuck and it's to help solve a problem that really shouldn't be a problem.

Come to think of it Chucks story was full of just the most incredibly rich first world problems, that's certainly par for the course with tons of Billions characters but now I'm thinking that's a nice story wrinkle. When Chuck was a DA he'd do way shadier poo poo but it was at least a 50/50 split on when he was doing it to help his own goals/save his butt and when it was to actually try to get some real justice to happen and hold the rich and powerful accountable. He'd also look out for the little guy like when that guy was accused of killing a guard in prison but the prison was super corrupt, and he wanted to help the guy while the AG just wanted that poo poo buried. Now he's just doing pure power broker stuff to get a bunch of people things they want but absolutely none of them need. I kind of dig that at the moment all pretense of doing things for the right reason, taking down people like Axe, etc. is completely gone from his life right now and he's just being friendly with Axe and plotting his revenge.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Episode 2 thoughts -

Wendy wants to cheat really bad and I think that's going to cause a problem for Chuck's Attorney General campaign. Either she'll refuse to play the role of happy housewife in public, or someone will snap photos of her with another man.

Axe finding his equal is both amusing and horrifying. Two people loving each other financially to the point where they're turned on by it.

Spyros getting into the inner-circle (even though it was only done because Wendy requested it) pleases me greatly

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I think her desire there was pretty clearly to switch up the roles in the bedroom with Chuck being dominant. Him on top was working for her, the discussion in the shrink's office and going to see their old sex pal, definitely ample evidence. I do think it's possible that she cheats on him, but they've explored that story thread already and I definitely don't think that's what she's looking to do now.

The thread of Billions bringing in clear expy's of existing people continues, and I like Axe's new girl a lot.

Billions remains the #1 show for eating during scenes. If you add in drinking too then I think you can literally put it at 50% of the scenes in this episode. And Connerty full devouring that sandwich was as fun to see as the season's trailer suggested.

Edit: Also, if anyone offhand remembers why Chuck was throwing away half his sandwich early in episode 2 then please clue me in, I feel like he's done that before and explained why but I can't recall. I think maybe as a diet thing?

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 26, 2019

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I don't know but Giammati is looking rather large these days.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

NowonSA posted:

Edit: Also, if anyone offhand remembers why Chuck was throwing away half his sandwich early in episode 2 then please clue me in, I feel like he's done that before and explained why but I can't recall. I think maybe as a diet thing?

On reddit I saw some people argue that Chuck is an emotional eater, and that when he is feeling confident and on top he can let himself stay lean and hungry, and that scene was him showing his confidence.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Could still save it for later.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

nooneofconsequence posted:

Could still save it for later.

He threw it in the trashcan if I remember correctly.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Some quick grabs:

I'll get the epic sandwich bite later

E:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 26, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

NowonSA posted:

I think her desire there was pretty clearly to switch up the roles in the bedroom with Chuck being dominant. Him on top was working for her, the discussion in the shrink's office and going to see their old sex pal, definitely ample evidence. I do think it's possible that she cheats on him, but they've explored that story thread already and I definitely don't think that's what she's looking to do now.

The thread of Billions bringing in clear expy's of existing people continues, and I like Axe's new girl a lot.

Billions remains the #1 show for eating during scenes. If you add in drinking too then I think you can literally put it at 50% of the scenes in this episode. And Connerty full devouring that sandwich was as fun to see as the season's trailer suggested.

"He is a wasteful man, with no appreciation for and no vision of the future" - Chuck's dad.

Chuck's favour-trading caper was great, he kept pulling out the "park anywhere pass" like it was a Golden Ticket but everyone he offered it to already had their parking situation sorted.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Connerty's angry sandwich bite was :discourse:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Oasx posted:

He threw it in the trashcan if I remember correctly.

I know I'm saying there are better ways to treat a sandwich.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NowonSA posted:

Yeah but it was directly after the "sometimes a girl just needs to get railed" conversation at the bar and Wendy lying to the group about having sex whenever she wants.

She wanted Chuck to rail her.

I have a feeling Jerry O'Connell's character has a chance

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I mean, my read on it is absolutely that she wanted to not do dominatrix-style stuff with Chuck and switch the roles, or less likely just have normal sex. Now if that doesn't happen and she can't accept that, then maybe cheating's back on the table, but as I've said I'm not really making that leap yet.

What I will agree to with full conviction is that basically every character we've seen on the show would gladly hop into bed with Wendy and would want a full romantic partnership on top of that, while I can't picture anyone wanting to get with Chuck in that same way. He's really punching above his weight.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I hope they don't go the cheating route, nothing we have seen so far in previous seasons indicates that Wendy has any intention of sleeping around. That is one aspect of the show that I really like, Wendy and Axe have shown zero romantic or sexual interest in each other. The only time Wendy has been with another person was when she and Chuck got separated, the same with Axe who showed no interest in other women until after his marriage was over.

My impression was that Wendy going on a run was a way for her to cope with Chuck showing no interest in dominating.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

NowonSA posted:

Ah good a thread was made, happy to pass off those thread-starting duties.

The barrage of cultural references really bugged me in this episode for some reason, maybe it just came off as a bit too forced. It's definitely par for the course, and I do like the show overall, so probably having Wags drop like 8 of them in the meeting with a definitely real Arab nation was a bridge too far for me.

This series includes a famous actor who's been in many well known movies, from Dangerous Liaisons to Con Air , from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy to Beowulf.
Has anyone ever referenced him? eg, "I want to get in Andolov's head. Really crawl in there and see what he's thinking. Like Craig Schwartz in Being John Malkovich"

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 27, 2019

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

pnumoman posted:

Connerty's angry sandwich bite was :discourse:

I loved this

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fantastic stuff. God drat, what a bite.

This is the dumbest/nerdiest/gooniest reason to love this show, but I loving love every time they drop an excellent pop culture reference. Like the Trading Places quote about "No getting around the old minimum wage." It's cheap heat, but I eat it up everytime.

eta: Also John Malkovich is playing an older version of Teddy KGB from Rounders, this is my head canon and will not be denied :colbert:

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 28, 2019

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Forget it Bill, it's chicken town.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I will never look at rubber bands the same

Kevin Pollak was a welcome surprise

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I know there is a lot of mixed feelings about Taylor and the whole pronoun thing, but I really like the character. And I thought Asia Kate Dillon did some great acting this episode in showing Taylor’s conflicting emotions about their father.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah Asia had some nice little facial tics in this episode. I found myself sympathizing with Taylor's dad a lot too, it's got to be a head trip when you've raised a kid for so long and seen them as female and then they decide to not acknowledge your vision of their gender, when you've known them literally longer then they've known themselves, if you consider memories a sense of self. Taylor's dad has the memories and experiences of seeing Taylor at ages 1, 2 , 3, etc. that Taylor doesn't have, for instance. Changing pronouns seems simple to us as the audience, but with all that history and personal connection I was surprised that I read it as a complicated character thing and not that surface level "wrong pronoun" conflict.

Also, sign me up for wanting that kitchen utensil "you're always doing things the hard way" scene to lead into some revelation on Taylor's part that they use against Axe.

Chuck getting Axe to put him in the AG's office was inevitable, but I'm still excited to see that billion dollar rocket engine strapped to him and used against his enemies. Going to be really fun to see them fighting one another again down the line too, which given the characters certainly seems inevitable as well. That'd be a solid dynamic to close the series out on in season 6 or 7.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

All through out this episode I just kept repeating Evidently Chickentown.
It seems to fit the theme of plans just getting stuck in bullshit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I loving died laughing when the Ballad of Chicken Bill started playing

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

What kind of monster uses a rubber band to tie up their hair?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I like how even a billionaire can't seem to get decent looking fried chicken in a bucket. That breading looked greasy and limp as hell, but then again, it is a bucket of fast food fried chicken.

And Axe better have an awesome part 2 to his plan, because otherwise it just looks like Taylor continues to have the upper hand. That mind games line from Axe rang pretty hollow for now.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The chicken stuff was extremely goofy and kind of lost me (I guess rich people can do whatever they want but the idea of everyone just *poof*-ing from NYC to Arkansas made me laugh at its convenience) but fun episode. I was initially like 'Taylor's dad is a jerk' but the more I thought about it I quickly came around to the same understanding as NowonSA; I don't have children and nobody in my life has undergone a change of gender identity or preferred pronoun but I can imagine I'd have a tough time going to 100% instant understanding and acceptance even with the best will in my heart. I hope they keep showing Taylor and their father's relationship when it makes sense to.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wamsutta posted:

The chicken stuff was extremely goofy and kind of lost me (I guess rich people can do whatever they want but the idea of everyone just *poof*-ing from NYC to Arkansas made me laugh at its convenience) but fun episode. I was initially like 'Taylor's dad is a jerk' but the more I thought about it I quickly came around to the same understanding as NowonSA; I don't have children and nobody in my life has undergone a change of gender identity or preferred pronoun but I can imagine I'd have a tough time going to 100% instant understanding and acceptance even with the best will in my heart. I hope they keep showing Taylor and their father's relationship when it makes sense to.

I've had someone close to me transition when they were a teenager

Imagine telling all your relatives, "all family photos from before 2005 need to be taken out of the house or else Sophie might be triggered seeing photos of her past self" - boomers don't handle that well

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

https://twitter.com/BeckyLynchWWE/status/1114355021913755653?s=20

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man.

That reminded me a lot of Big Love where Bill went public with his family's polygamy for political gain, but at least with that his wives were on board with it.

Wendy's going to find out about Axe and Chuck dealing behind her back - that won't be pretty.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don’t think Axe and Chuck are doing anything behind her back, she was there when they decided to work together and Chuck revealing his sexual activities had nothing to do with Axe.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Oasx posted:

I don’t think Axe and Chuck are doing anything behind her back, she was there when they decided to work together and Chuck revealing his sexual activities had nothing to do with Axe.

She put them together last season to protect herself against the Ice Juice fallout, but she has not been involved in any of their dealings this season.

The main difference now is that Chuck and Axe unequivocally have each other's best interests at heart. Wendy could end up looking for revenge on Chuck via Axe, but he'll have no incentive to do so as long as Chuck is doing his bidding in high office. That conflict of interest is where things are going to get messy.

Pretty classic blockbuster Billions episode. I'm glad the show went this direction. Coincidentally, I had been thinking beforehand that it would be great/fitting to see Axe and Chuck go up against Wendy somehow, and now it's looking like we'll get to see that happen.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah I'm down for Wendy vs. the boys, with her psych chops and rando connections with wallstreet bigwigs I think she can really rain down hell if she wants to. No way was Chuck going to fold and I expected him to lean into the scandal, but drat he put together (well, the Billions writers did) a good speech. He's definitely going to regret not having found some way to make Wendy at least somewhat okay with it getting out there.

Wasn't expecting Gregor and Axe to basically end up chill with each other, but I'm cool with that being settled for now and him looming as a future conflict. With this show you absolutely know Axe is going to get wind of an insane financial opportunity in Russia and not be able to resist going for it.

The little thing lost in the shuffle here is that Taylor's company was like, almost entirely built in Gregor's money right, so if that gets unfrozen and he withdraws it isn't Taylor basically screwed? Looking forward to seeing how that shakes out.

Taylor's phone call to Wendy also made a ton of sense now that I think of it, good call to note the similarities of experience there, and I feel like that could very well be the new teamup between Chuck and Axe. As Wendy really becomes aware of how tight those two are now I feel like she's going to leave Axe Cap this season, and it'll be wild to see what other moves she makes after that.

Overall a really good episode, they just kind of blew through what I expected to be the entire season's major conflicts in the first four episodes, going to be fun to see Chuck back in power and doing proper AG stuff.