Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
I really like the performances on this show. I think it's the direction. This last episode had Paul Giamatti epitomizing a charismatic go-getter in a way that's well outside his usual zone.

Anyhow, it was a decent episode on the Rhoads side with some pretty big stakes coming up on both sides of his ledger, though I think the boat bits were overlong to convey Axe's cold ruthlessness when injured. I like his new girl, even if she's already becoming a bit flat.
I've always think Wendy doesn't fit in the show somehow. I root for Taylor way more than I should. Neither of them did much this ep except continue their current momentum. Be interesting to see how they interact next time, but I don't expect much will come of it given each's external equities don't allow a lot of influence here. But the show has surprised me before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
this show sucks but Paul G is a great actor and I like watching him act.

Plot is nonsense, writing is terrible, characters act inconsistently.

But drat, Paul's a good character.

I think most of the main cast of characters give pretty awful acting performances. I like a lot of the secondary or tertiary characters though.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like while Chuck and Axe are in theory on the same side now, they'll end up in a race to ratfuck each other to stay out of jail.

What characters end up on what side in that war will be fascinating.

I wonder if Wendy signed one of the iron-clad non competes that would prevent her from leaving Axe to go work for Taylor.

Her "I want to see you" line to Taylor was interesting, usually that would be reserved for a romantic interest.

There was a good shot last episode of Wendy leaving in the elevator after watching Chuck's presser, and the camera stayed on the open elevator like Axe was going to run and comfort her. Or someone...anyone...would run and comfort her.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
A fun ep, it took me longer than I expected to see that Axe was going full coldhearted revenge over basically goddamn nothing, but I caught on a bit into the boat trip.

Wendy was also much less pissed than I expected.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do Chuck and Wendy still have kids or did they get sent to boarding school or something ?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Do Chuck and Wendy still have kids or did they get sent to boarding school or something ?

Wendy sent them to her parents so they could avoid the shame of being around their mother.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nooneofconsequence posted:

Wendy sent them to her parents so they could avoid the shame of being around their mother.

They might have got Judy Winslowed - it seems like they’re never around and all the scenes at Chuck’s house take place at night to avoid explaining their absence beyond “they’re asleep”

Not that rich parents in Manhattan see their kids often anyway

A storyline about Au Paire’s would be great, now that I think about it

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The funeral scene was top notch. Can somebody gif the pure joy on Chuck's dad's face as he watched it all go down and the FBI bust in the room. Man that must have been a hosed up childhood.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

The funeral scene was top notch. Can somebody gif the pure joy on Chuck's dad's face as he watched it all go down and the FBI bust in the room. Man that must have been a hosed up childhood.

Also great when he's standing on the development site. "When you're in the penthouse God looks up to you" and the reply, "Hey we need to take those expectations down a notch".

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

Also great when he's standing on the development site. "When you're in the penthouse God looks up to you" and the reply, "Hey we need to take those expectations down a notch".

Awesome. There was an even better one right before that when the FBI busts in and everybody starts looking around and Sr. has a giant poo poo eating grin on his face.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Would love to see a montage of Chuck Sr. knowing grins/head nods. There have been many.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Wendy is concerned about what people think of her. Meanwhile in Wags' office...

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
It's state troopers with Chuck at the funeral, not FBI. Chuck's the state AG. The feds are tailing Sr to build a corruption case against him and our man Chuck. State vs Federal.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

Wendy is concerned about what people think of her. Meanwhile in Wags' office...

It was interesting to see camaraderie among the two characters who, between Axe and Chuck, know where all the bodies are buried

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"thank you"
"gently caress you"

gonna need a GIF of that

Wendy's a piece of poo poo, my goodness. Couldn't even go 2 weeks before I lost all sympathy for her again.

That scene on the water with her and Taylor playing chicken with their emotions was awesome. Wendy saw the slightest crack and pounced.

Not sure where the video of Cool Judge meeting with Chuck is going to end up, but Chuck is very close to losing everything and doesn't even know it.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
This felt like the weakest episode of the season so far, though I'm very much a fan of the Brian Connerty Descent into Amorality and Madness.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
See what happens when Malkovich leaves a show!

I didn't understand Wags storyline at all.

EugeneJ posted:

"thank you"
"gently caress you"

gonna need a GIF of that

Wendy's a piece of poo poo, my goodness. Couldn't even go 2 weeks before I lost all sympathy for her again.

That scene on the water with her and Taylor playing chicken with their emotions was awesome. Wendy saw the slightest crack and pounced.

Not sure where the video of Cool Judge meeting with Chuck is going to end up, but Chuck is very close to losing everything and doesn't even know it.

Yes tough to feel any sympathy for Wendy's little personal problems when she's such an evil manipulator.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

I had to Google it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_Beta_Phi

quote:

Kappa Beta Phi (ΚΒΦ) is a secret society, best known for its Wall Street Chapter that is made up of high-ranking financial executives.

The purpose of the organization is largely social and honorific. The current honor society meets once a year at a black-tie dinner to induct new members. The current president is Alfred E. Smith IV.

quote:

The organization's name is a reversal of Phi Beta Kappa, and instead of a key, the members wear a fob tied to a red ribbon around their necks.

The organization's officers bear odd titles such as Grand Swipe (the president), Grand Smudge, Grand Loaf and Master at Arms. The annual dinner has been described by The Wall Street Journal as "Part Friar's Club roast, part 'Gong Show.'" New inductees are expected to perform in a variety show to entertain the members, and many inductees benefit from professional coaches and writers to prepare them for their performances. Backed by a five-piece band, the inductees performed renditions of well-known tunes with lyrics modified to satirize Wall Street.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Binary Logic posted:

See what happens when Malkovich leaves a show!

He stole that guy's funeral plot so this was the "jock invites nerdy girl to prom prank" as revenge.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the explanation, it still seems like a plot more suited to Silicon Valley than this show.

But reading that I wish they'd allowed him onstage in his dress and heels to sing Major Tom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuJmxLzvMS8

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
I was expecting the battle lines in this season to be Wendy/Taylor vs Axe/Chuck. So it was a bit of a surprise to me that Wendy said she was working on a secret mission to gently caress with Taylor.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Man...

Axe had a line in this week's episode...he said to that Victor guy who had to come back and work at AxeCap for him..."You're going to work like a sharecropper until these debts are repaid."

I cringed hard at that line...kind of brought me back into perspective that this show is about IRL human garbage despite how fun it is watching these characters.

Yes, working at a hedge fund in Manhattan is just like being an indentured farmer.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
That's how metaphors work, not supposed to be taken literally.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

re: Wendy.

When your motives are inscrutable, your pain is likewise, and instead of empathy your crying evokes only confusion.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

Man...

Axe had a line in this week's episode...he said to that Victor guy who had to come back and work at AxeCap for him..."You're going to work like a sharecropper until these debts are repaid."

I cringed hard at that line...kind of brought me back into perspective that this show is about IRL human garbage despite how fun it is watching these characters.

Yes, working at a hedge fund in Manhattan is just like being an indentured farmer.

Axe is a greedy, horrible person who only talks to someone when he wants something from them.

Sarcastr0 posted:

re: Wendy.

When your motives are inscrutable, your pain is likewise, and instead of empathy your crying evokes only confusion.
Wendy could be lashing out at Taylor because there's no one else she can take out her anger and frustration on. (Chuck betrayed Wendy's trust, so Wendy is betraying Taylor's trust) However if that's the case the show should make it more explicit.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

Wendy could be lashing out at Taylor because there's no one else she can take out her anger and frustration on. (Chuck betrayed Wendy's trust, so Wendy is betraying Taylor's trust) However if that's the case the show should make it more explicit.

Wendy said if she didn't have anyone to talk to (Taylor) she would end up in "a dark place"

So if she's not talking about killing herself...I'd hate to see what that looks like - like how much more evil can she get?

It's almost like the series is going to culminate with everyone in her life facing jailtime and she's going to have to try and fix it all - which would actually be a cool redemption story for her character

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

What happened to security? Mafee is allowed to just walk right into the office?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Give Paul Giamatti an Emmy for the pancake eater scene

:wtc:

I think it would have been better storyline wise if Mafee had shouted something like “every secret you told her she will use to crush you” to plant doubt in the remaining Axe staff about Wendy

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

What happened to security? Mafee is allowed to just walk right into the office?

They showed up after it escalated, why would they stop him at the door when he left on semi-friendly terms? He might have been there to beg for his job back for all they know.

It's not like when he quit he yelled "the next time you see me, I'm gonna be fighting Dollar Bill!"

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Ben Kim smiling and waving at disliked traitor Mafee was weird. I know he's supposed to be super nice beta cuck guy, but a dumb move like that still felt unnatural.

This season has had some nice, classic Billions "wow" moments, but in general it's all feeling a bit weak. I'm not finding the Axe vs. Taylor storyline all that compelling, and Connerty, Sacker and Jeffcoat have awkwardly faded into the background as these peripheral makeshift antagonists. I know the show's brand of conflict has always kinda been variations on a theme, but now it's feeling especially recycled.

The Wendy arc has the most depth, and to be fair it does seem like they're building toward something interesting there.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vernacular posted:

Ben Kim smiling and waving at disliked traitor Mafee was weird. I know he's supposed to be super nice beta cuck guy, but a dumb move like that still felt unnatural.

This season has had some nice, classic Billions "wow" moments, but in general it's all feeling a bit weak. I'm not finding the Axe vs. Taylor storyline all that compelling, and Connerty, Sacker and Jeffcoat have awkwardly faded into the background as these peripheral makeshift antagonists. I know the show's brand of conflict has always kinda been variations on a theme, but now it's feeling especially recycled.

The Wendy arc has the most depth, and to be fair it does seem like they're building toward something interesting there.

Episode recap: Axe buys a local pizzeria, Wendy goes jogging, Taylor's father returns home.

j/k I liked the ep and it was good to see Peter Jacobson, who was last seen in Colony. While the dead dog story is done it would be nice if he makes more appearances, he's such a good antagonist.

The Connerty stuff is building up, seems like everyone Chuck talks to and deals with is corrupt.

EugeneJ posted:

Give Paul Giamatti an Emmy for the pancake eater scene

:wtc:

I think it would have been better storyline wise if Mafee had shouted something like “every secret you told her she will use to crush you” to plant doubt in the remaining Axe staff about Wendy
Can the thread title be changed to Billions Season 4: Do I Look Like A Pancake Eater?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I like that Chuck is constantly getting screwed by photo and video surveillance at a distance, and now wiretaps, though I expect him to be on the ball enough at this point to turn it around on Connerty and reveal he knew about it earlier than we've seen him know about it as viewers. I feel like Connerty just has a passive crew out there constantly tailing Chuck and taking photos at this point, that's really the only explanation I can come up with for the dog owner having that photo of Chuck showing up.

Wendy's definitely been a garbage person of late, nice to see that land with her at last. Taylor realizing what was up with Wendy was really nice too, nice to see them see through her and for them to acknowledge that they figured they were being played but were hoping to turn that around and get leverage of their own. I feel like the big season 4 ending thing will be Wendy leaving Axe Cap, so that play might actually work out on Taylor's front though at a cost.

We haven't quite hit the highs that season 3 did, that middle section of Chuck and Axe first getting together was super fun and Wendy was still likeable enough that we could root for her when she's totally down for setting some innocent guy up, but it's been a fun ride and the annual "here's how hosed up my childhood was and what an rear end in a top hat my dad was" monologue from Chuck was its usual Emmy-nomination worthy thing.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just thought of an interesting idea - remember when Axe’s spy guy offered Wendy a job earlier in the season and Axe snapped “she’s not going anywhere”

What if Wendy did end up working for that guy and used surveillance on Taylor/Axe/Chuck to manipulate them for...well who knows what motivates Wendy.

Taylor should go after Wendy for HIPAA violations and go public with it - Wendy wouldn’t be able to work in the medical profession again

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

EugeneJ posted:

Taylor should go after Wendy for HIPAA violations and go public with it - Wendy wouldn’t be able to work in the medical profession again

This is actually an amazing idea and I want to personally congratulate you for listing the acronym right. Everyone says HIPPA, I even caught our compliance officer using that once. Ugh.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

Close enough to be impressive. In shows like this one ethics laws are always more like magic than science.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I usually wait until later Sunday to post in case other people didn’t watch the episode early on-demand, but gently caress it

That episode had a lot going on - Chuck Sr. casually revealing he had a Native American lovechild in the middle of Chuck’s strongarm attempt was hilarious.

Wendy and Chuck reconciling is disappointing. Wendy now feels powerless professionally and the only way she can feel in control is by pulling Chuck’s strings. Chuck and the head of the Native American board had some chemistry and I’d like to see them together again.

End of the boxing match really drove home Taylor's dad's parting words that "even if you win, it won't feel like it". Wall Street is stupid and there will be no winners in the battle between Taylor and Axe.

Sarcastr0 posted:

Close enough to be impressive. In shows like this one ethics laws are always more like magic than science.

Not sure if this is a credit to me or a credit to the show becoming more predictable. The minute Wendy asked for a former patient's records I was like "that's a red flag".

If she has to go before the medical board, Wendy might escape unharmed if whatever clerk she got the records from is paid off beforehand. It's not like there's a paper trail as there would be had she accessed an electronic database.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 6, 2019

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Bonnie seems like an awesome friend.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I think there's lots to be mined from that boxing match. The message that immediately comes to mind is that it's a nice reminder that no matter what massive amounts of money and influence you have to throw around, even the major players like Axe and Taylor can't buy or scheme their way to the outcome they want every time.

I liked seeing Taylor get a win here, they were definitely due one and I liked that it showed they're willing to set aside personal beliefs (based on what we've seen of the character I have to think they're very anti-fracking) just to beat Axe. It's kind of a flawless victory on all counts and to me a more impressive one than anything Axe has really pulled off against them. Axe landed the more damaging personal blow, but screwing Axe over on a financial deal is kind of how you do the equivalent of souring a personal relationship, so it's probably closer in damage than you might expect. And getting your opponent to come off as an rear end in a top hat on T.V., publicly support an anti-environment position, and deploy lots of financial and political resources (adding off-screen lobbying fees, $1.2 million to the Governor and the cost of doing that big favor for him and I can easily see it landing somewhere in the $5-10 million in expenses range) all to land where they make money but you make way more? That's pretty smooth operating, and yet it's also a very Taylor thing to do where even when they're getting revenge they're enriching both sides, where Axe is always about completely destroying his opposition and not being content to see them get even a minor win, or this kind of thing that's actually a win/win scenario if you have the right outlook on things.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Everything about the boxing training montages and the boxing match itself was comedy gold. I died laughing when they were tired out by Round 3.

Was cool to see Taylor get one over on Axe, very clever. The references are sometimes a little too much, but then they'll do one that tickles me perfectly and I forgive them.

God the acting on this show is so fun to watch, everyone chewing all the scenery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Haha was that Tim Ferriss as one of Mafee's trainers?

I'm not really getting too much enjoyment out of this season, but the boxing match was definitely a good moment. Seems like it was meant to symbolize the feud between Axe and Taylor: lots of big talk and wasted energy that's ultimately not really worth it for either side, with both parties coming out looking bad.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 7, 2019