Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
drat Spyros would be a great comedy pick, they'd walk all over him and he'd be happy to let them do it. I hope the chips end up falling that way in the end.

I'm sure they've touched on Axe's Dad stuff before, but having it all spelled out here was nice and helps explain why Axe is so messed up.

I haven't seen Eva Victor in anything, but it's nice to see her join the ranks of "comedians doing a dramatic role associated with the character Taylor Mason on Billions" alongside Mike Birbiglia.

After their big loss last season, I'm expecting Taylor to be really set up well by the end of this one. My best guess right now is that they know that Chuck and Axe taking each other out is how they'll win (as they explicitly stated last season) and getting Wendy fully on her team is the way to do that. If they can convince Wendy to do something Axe sees as even a little bit of a betrayal, or to stop working for Axe Cap/giving Axe therapy, then I think that's what would make Axe make a big mistake that'll leave him open for Chuck to get him, but Chuck would do some dirty poo poo to make that happen and boom, both are taken out just like Taylor wants. That 40% equity move screams to me that Taylor knows Wendy is going to be vital to a future plan they have, even moreso than Wendy does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Funny to see Chuck conveniently forget the various dominatrixes he's paid when his girlfriend asked if he had visited sex workers, though clearly she wouldn't have thought any less of him if he had told her given how their story ended in this episode. She's definitely winning best romantic partner ever in this show's history. Helping your partner attack a group you want to defend and use them as a political piece to advance their personal goals, and then rewarding them with a threesome after. It makes sense in the Billions-y "everything is over the top" way, but yeah that's just being too unbelievably nice and caring.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\ Julianna Margulies could be in more scenes.

The way things are going I expect next week:

Bobby: I just opened a gallery and need your help.
Nick, the Axe Cap artist-in-residence: Sure, what would you like?
Bobby: Eggshell white in the main viewing area. Two coats. Get started early, I'm throwing a pizza party there at 8 tomorrow night.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 9, 2020

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Who could Axe possibly bring as a date that would make Wendy jealous?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

MorrisBae posted:

Who could Axe possibly bring as a date that would make Wendy jealous?

Wendy and Taylor are going to be livid when Bobby walks in with his date/new Axe Cap greenwash spokesperson Greta Thunberg.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
loving lol at ADT getting their product placed in a scene where a psychopath boss spies on their employees.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

loving lol at ADT getting their product placed in a scene where a psychopath boss spies on their employees.

Hey, good for them not caring about that. It's nice to see a company that's way on the other side of Apple's "NO BAD CHARACTERS CAN USE AN IPHONE AND NO ONE CAN SPEAK POORLY OF ANY FEATURE OF THE MIGHTY IPHONE" stance.

I've always felt that product placement is kind of dumb. If you want your product shown in an awkwardly positive light with characters going out of their way to say how the rear-view camera in their car makes parking so convenient, pay for it. If they want to just use common brands and items as a natural part of setting the scene, then hey go for it.

I don't know, it's just kind of weird to me. Like I get why the system is how it is, even if a brand is just on screen that's possibly millions of people seeing it and shows/movies will want to get their beak wet from that, but I think there's ways to make all of that a lot less complicated.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The only product placement that leaps out at me in this show is the Fiji water because they go out of their way to always ensure the logo is facing the camera

Everything with Spyros/Maphee/MENSA was really good, I really enjoy the actor who plays Spyros so seeing him get a subplot all to himself was fun.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Artist guy flaking out on Wendy for the old rich lady was unexpected

Chuck's going to get his dad an HIV-infected black market kidney, isn't he

lol

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
As someone who liked Limitless and the series (which was better than the movie and incredibly underrated), this was a neat treat.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
It was probably taurine + eight different types of mushroom LOL.

A few weeks ago Bobby was tripping on ayahuasca and now he's got his entire staff as guinea pigs for an unapproved nootropic while at work playing with billions of $$$ of other people's money. And still believes he can get or deserves a bank charter.

MorrisBae posted:

lol
I thought that was a good move for Nic.

Dr Swerdlow is a great character, so stone cold. "I keep the money".
The storylines are outrageous but the dialog and secondary characters in the past couple of episodes have been really entertaining.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I said “you got Litt up” out loud when the Dr. said that.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

The storylines are outrageous but the dialog and secondary characters in the past couple of episodes have been really entertaining.

The limitless thing was indeed outrageous...but maybe also somewhat believable for a bunch of aggro, bloated ego trading junkies? Either way, it was a fun bit, especially the eventual downfall. Taylor's employee high AF ordering food from the Chilean government or whatever was great.

Seems like there's a clear parallel theme being drawn between Axe and Chuck: neither is as effective when out of alignment with Wendy. Both have been sloppy all season, while she devotes her attention to Taylor, who is flourishing.

I have a little more appreciation for the Mike Prince storyline now. The leads have been so accustomed to going up against morally unscrupulous foes that Axe immediately goes into "Axe vs Chuck" mode even when faced with an adversary who, while similarly competent and competitive, apparently lacks the same heartless Machiavellian streak. Prince is a good foil.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

MorrisBae posted:

lol

i mean HIV is a problem but the other option was a hepatitis C kidney and hep C is fully curable and the meds are pretty easy to take these days albeit expensive. Like 30k for the course expensive but that seems like a tuesday's worth of spending for chuck.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It was fun to see Rick Hoffman (best known as Louis Litt on Suits, a show I also liked) playing a sleazy but confident organ trafficker. Nice to see him getting work even if it's back in the "occasional guest star" role that he was pretty steadily working in before Suits.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Why no episodes this week? Is it a break due to pandemic not allowing them to finish editing the season? How long do we wait?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Why no episodes this week? Is it a break due to pandemic not allowing them to finish editing the season? How long do we wait?

On hiatus due to the pandemic not letting them complete filming, and I don't think anyone knows when the rest of the season will come out. I'm okay with this approach, and it's probably the best choice they had in this situation.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

NowonSA posted:

On hiatus due to the pandemic not letting them complete filming, and I don't think anyone knows when the rest of the season will come out. I'm okay with this approach, and it's probably the best choice they had in this situation.

Oh, they never finished filming, that's not good. Well, better a hiatus than whatever the Blacklist did.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
huh i always thought series like this were done shooting before the season started

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

20 Blunts posted:

huh i always thought series like this were done shooting before the season started
They would have been. Shutdown happened weeks before the premiere. They just decided to go ahead with the incomplete season.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

pnumoman posted:

Oh, they never finished filming, that's not good. Well, better a hiatus than whatever the Blacklist did.

That was my thought as well, though weirdly as someone who's caught a fair amount of Blacklist putting out the finale in some form made sense to me. The snippets I've caught to see Spader chewing scenery are full of crazy lore and storylines, so I could see them not wanting to leave their fans hanging.

I'm kind of hoping the lean into it and we get to see the rest of the episodes of this season of Billion lean heavily into Axe and Taylor shorting the hell out of the market as COVID starts spreading. Very major bonus points if they give the disease a different name as well, that's the kind of "let's not use the name because of weird T.V. logic even though everyone will know what we refer to" that I can get behind.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

NowonSA posted:

That was my thought as well, though weirdly as someone who's caught a fair amount of Blacklist putting out the finale in some form made sense to me. The snippets I've caught to see Spader chewing scenery are full of crazy lore and storylines, so I could see them not wanting to leave their fans hanging.

I'm kind of hoping the lean into it and we get to see the rest of the episodes of this season of Billion lean heavily into Axe and Taylor shorting the hell out of the market as COVID starts spreading. Very major bonus points if they give the disease a different name as well, that's the kind of "let's not use the name because of weird T.V. logic even though everyone will know what we refer to" that I can get behind.

I can definitely see the Blacklist situation as an acceptable compromise if you were a fan that was following the show. And yeah, it would definitely be cool if they take advantage of the hiatus and retool the ending to the season completely to account for covid. Plus, wasn't there a coronavirus reference during Krakow's meltdown? I think they were gonna address it somehow anyway, unless that was just a crazy cosmic coincidence or I simply misheard something.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I caught that Krakow comment as well. I wonder if that was written/adlibbed back in January or February when it was a thing in East Asia, but before it made its way to the USA.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
They explicitly mentioned Coronavirus in the last episode.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjIiwtNMLKg

What has become of Chick Rhoades

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I hope the show picks up from the last episode and nobody acknowledges skinny Chuck.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I would kill for a recap of last half season and the reason Axe hates Price.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I know the show is mostly joking, and the eggs scene was kind of beautiful in its silly way, but I just hate the characters we have left so much. And the egg scene shouldn't have had the cut it did. Also didn't Chuck have more kids?

Writing around Damian Lewis' proximity's consistently funny, at least.

Nice to see a strong anti-antivax message, though. Even if it's from a villain.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 26, 2021

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

The long shot of him cooking eggs was strange and beautiful.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
This whole weed thing is just such a stretch for a way to get to get at Axe. Both he and Dawn would have huge teams of lawyers around them, they'd know if they were going to be breaking laws significant enough to get them arrested. It seems unlikely that even without doing due diligence that both Axe's team and Winslow's legal people could miss something potentially that huge.

Also Wag's had me in the middle too.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't want to see Wendy and Axe get together. The great thing about their relationship was that it was not sexual in nature at all.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

The long shot of him cooking eggs was strange and beautiful.

Was this a tribute to Big Night, or a happy coincidence?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
There were too many similarities in the two scenes for it to have just been a coincidence...

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

bee posted:

There were too many similarities in the two scenes for it to have just been a coincidence...

Knowing the show runner from Twitter, 100% a reference.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

That was a really good episode, but a near perfect penultimate episode of a season. This next season has to be the final one, really good conflict/stakes.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

6 seasons sounds about right. Once Wendy and Axe get together we've got to be in the endgame.

I enjoyed seeing a big ol consipracy collab again, that's some classic billions right there. I hope they end the show by going above and beyond with dueling massive plots by both Axe and Chuck, Taylor playing both sides to come out on top, and like 30 characters or more involved in the insanity.

Does anyone know if there was a proper reason for Axe to be separated a bunch of the time? I'm just curious if that came down to a practical necessity and not just something being done for the story. I do kind of like that it gives the impression that he's disconnected from what's going on, which is leaving him more open to not seeing all the angles in this particular case. And it's fun to think that he might loopy from Corona and that's dragging him down as well.

One thing I didn't really like is how massive a time jump the show seemed to make. It went from "hey corona's right around the corner" to "alright everyone's vaccinated, and I'm just now hanging up this painting that I got about a year ago." Like am I crazy, or did the show just skip forward basically a year and just not acknowledge it? I guess nobody will really notice it when this stuff's all well and truly behind us, but that seemed really weird to me. I guess time-traveling forward to everyone being vaccinated was a convenient way to get all those actors' faces on the screen uncovered.

Next season really should be Chuck vs. Axe in a proper trial. We got a bit of a tease of that before, but I'm ready for that to go down in earnest.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Well, at least Paul Giamatti's looking healthier.

It was kind of nice to not have Prince hem and haw much on 'doing the right thing' but that last scene with the daughters was like something from another, much worse show.

Next episode's the season finale, we'll see how it lands.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

NowonSA posted:

6 seasons sounds about right. Once Wendy and Axe get together we've got to be in the endgame.

I enjoyed seeing a big ol consipracy collab again, that's some classic billions right there. I hope they end the show by going above and beyond with dueling massive plots by both Axe and Chuck, Taylor playing both sides to come out on top, and like 30 characters or more involved in the insanity.

Does anyone know if there was a proper reason for Axe to be separated a bunch of the time? I'm just curious if that came down to a practical necessity and not just something being done for the story. I do kind of like that it gives the impression that he's disconnected from what's going on, which is leaving him more open to not seeing all the angles in this particular case. And it's fun to think that he might loopy from Corona and that's dragging him down as well.

One thing I didn't really like is how massive a time jump the show seemed to make. It went from "hey corona's right around the corner" to "alright everyone's vaccinated, and I'm just now hanging up this painting that I got about a year ago." Like am I crazy, or did the show just skip forward basically a year and just not acknowledge it? I guess nobody will really notice it when this stuff's all well and truly behind us, but that seemed really weird to me. I guess time-traveling forward to everyone being vaccinated was a convenient way to get all those actors' faces on the screen uncovered.

Next season really should be Chuck vs. Axe in a proper trial. We got a bit of a tease of that before, but I'm ready for that to go down in earnest.

He was in England for COVID and his wife was very sick and tragically died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
last ep: If we can't finish it, we can't start it.

That was a satisfying finale.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 4, 2021