Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!

LionArcher posted:

He was in England for COVID and his wife was very sick and tragically died.

Yeah very sad, as soon as I saw he was remote I knew this was the reason. Probably have a lot more "on location" shots next season too, as they were shot together. Still, credit to the writers for pulling it off. Enjoyed this last season a bit more than the rest, and seems to be building to a proper finale at last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
When the show came back from the long break I thought I was done with this show, but in these last few episodes it has somehow managed to pull me back in. So I will stick around for the final season.

Billions is the only tv show I can watch where the protagonist is clearly the bad guy.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Lewis is leaving the show for good? That's crazy, it's like not even the same show without him.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!

LorneReams posted:

Lewis is leaving the show for good? That's crazy, it's like not even the same show without him.

No, I don't think so, but seeing as Season 6 is already in the can, it seems it will be similar to this season, he'll be on a screen or have second unit scenes in a chalet or something.

edit: oh poo poo he is!

Funking Giblet fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 4, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Whoa, this is the first I hear about Lewis leaving. I see he has confirmed leaving the show, but I assume he will make a cameo in the last episode or something like that.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
It feels like the next season will be the last. What show would survive an exit like this?
Prince has gotten an introduction, but I don't think the last season was enough to set him up as the new main opponent for Chuck, even if it seems like he's been on the show forever due to the hiatus.

I'm going to be watching the next season mostly to see what hosed up shop Mafee and Dollar Bill will end up running without Axe or Taylor or Wendy

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Next season was always going to be the last I believe.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

At least Axe got a semi-happy ending. I don't think I would have wanted him to end the show in jail. I like Corey Stoll as an actor but I don't care enough about his character to mind what happens to him.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
drat, I'm sorry to hear about Lewis' wife, that sucks. It's wild that he's leaving the show, I can't really picture how it'll shake out now. I guess Chuck ending up politically ruined and having a nice 10 minute+ scene sitting around a table with Wendy and Axe in Switzerland would be a fitting finale in its own way. If we literally never see Axe again for the rest of the show it seems like a huge loss, but I really hope he has at least a cameo (and preferably a strong presence) in the last episode or last few episodes.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Gotta figure the final arc will be the surprise return of Axe.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Cataffy posted:

Gotta figure the final arc will be the surprise return of Axe.

Prince's biggest mistake was costing a guy who is addicted to revenge his company and reputation, then handing him TWO BILLION DOLLARS and letting him leave the country. Axe is the guy who hosed over a former mentee because they had the sheer GALL to give the money Axe gave him back. And I can't recall it off the top of my head, but I guarantee that this Axe/Pence rivalry started over some petty billionaire bullshit, and it still escalated like crazy.

Chuck can scheme against Prince all he wants, but it seems like a real lapse on the writer's part if Prince doesn't end up 100% ruined (somehow worse than locked up in prison; also somehow penniless) at Axe's hand, even if we never see Axe onscreen again. I'd bet on Axe to pull that off if he was on the run with a mere couple hundred million to his name. Honestly, what else is he going to do with his time?

I remember a time when he said to somebody who hated his guts that he'd give him something ridiculous like a billion dollars to do what he wanted, then said of course he wasn't going to pay him that but the guy would take it if he offered. It's easy for me to picture Axe tossing that billion at someone or a select group of people to get that sweet, sweet revenge on the guy that finally beat him at his own game.

Axe in exile with no Wendy there to talk him out of his worst impulses or keep his psyche on track is a really tantalizing prospect, which makes me all the sadder that Lewis isn't returning. Hopefully they still manage to make that whole situation play out in a satisfying way in the end.

It'd kind of be brilliant in its own way to do a full season 6 with no Axe/Lewis, then get most of the way through 7 and have Axe/Lewis return like a goddamn tornado and blow up everything and everyone in the final arc.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

NowonSA posted:

Axe is the guy who hosed over a former mentee because they had the sheer GALL to give the money Axe gave him back.

To be fair, that is not why he did it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

NowonSA posted:

Prince's biggest mistake was costing a guy who is addicted to revenge his company and reputation, then handing him TWO BILLION DOLLARS and letting him leave the country. Axe is the guy who hosed over a former mentee because they had the sheer GALL to give the money Axe gave him back. And I can't recall it off the top of my head, but I guarantee that this Axe/Pence rivalry started over some petty billionaire bullshit, and it still escalated like crazy.

Chuck can scheme against Prince all he wants, but it seems like a real lapse on the writer's part if Prince doesn't end up 100% ruined (somehow worse than locked up in prison; also somehow penniless) at Axe's hand, even if we never see Axe onscreen again. I'd bet on Axe to pull that off if he was on the run with a mere couple hundred million to his name. Honestly, what else is he going to do with his time?

I remember a time when he said to somebody who hated his guts that he'd give him something ridiculous like a billion dollars to do what he wanted, then said of course he wasn't going to pay him that but the guy would take it if he offered. It's easy for me to picture Axe tossing that billion at someone or a select group of people to get that sweet, sweet revenge on the guy that finally beat him at his own game.

Axe in exile with no Wendy there to talk him out of his worst impulses or keep his psyche on track is a really tantalizing prospect, which makes me all the sadder that Lewis isn't returning. Hopefully they still manage to make that whole situation play out in a satisfying way in the end.

It'd kind of be brilliant in its own way to do a full season 6 with no Axe/Lewis, then get most of the way through 7 and have Axe/Lewis return like a goddamn tornado and blow up everything and everyone in the final arc.

This next season is the last.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
About halfway through the 3rd season, and the collapse of the Ice Juice case is preposterous. Axe has some Dexter-level plot armor. No matter how dead to rights they have him, he's got some magic minions who can fake any evidence and intimidate absolutely anyone.

They want you to think there's an equal amount of danger for the Rhoades, but come on

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Can I post here about Suits? Because it's essentially the same show, where characters are portrayed as exceptionally smart and suave but are also simultaneously so stupid.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
*sucks teeth*
*scoffs*
*Sighs pointedly*

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol @ Sackler and Southern in general giving even a moment's pause about prosecuting someone who killed a prison guard. Don't try to make me think prosecutors have souls

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

PostNouveau posted:

lol @ Sackler and Southern in general giving even a moment's pause about prosecuting someone who killed a prison guard. Don't try to make me think prosecutors have souls

Don't they end up dropping it because the inmate dies right after they bring charges?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EricBauman posted:

Don't they end up dropping it because the inmate dies right after they bring charges?

Yes. All the prosecutors are very broken up about it

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I guess it's time for a rewatch.

Time to relive the good old days of ice juice and Chuck's election

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EricBauman posted:

I guess it's time for a rewatch.

Time to relive the good old days of ice juice and Chuck's election

Oh poo poo does Chuck win this election?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Got halfway through Season 4 and the power fantasies are starting to reach Star Trek: Discovery levels. Oh, Chuck doesn't have statutory powers? Well his team made cases against half the state Assembly in a day. Axe is mad at some dude? A couple of phone calls with town gossip and everyone left him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've been quite negative on Season 3 and 4 so I do want to say that anything involving Dollar Bill being driven insane by having all the pressure of the job but none of the mythical praise that Axe gets is great. Him and the chickens and the boxing match with Mafee are gold.

Wendy dealing with the contradictions of being a doctor and helping deliver returns is also compelling.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Billions Season 6: Farmer Paul’s HOA Bullshit

They really should’ve called it after last season.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Billions got renewed:

https://deadline.com/2022/02/billions-renewed-season-7-showtime-1234934275/

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Why?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Because Showtime

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
I don't know, I'm enjoying this new season way more than I thought. Feels as fresh as this show possibly could, missing Axe way less than I thought. Show is perfect to watch with breakfast on a Sunday morning like weekend morning cartoons for grown-ups (see also Yellowstone and 1883).

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Axe was a struggling sociopath but Prince seems more nuanced, so I'm enjoying that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I agree. Axe was always the clear bad guy. He barely pretended to help people, he only ever had an angle. With prince, it's harder to tell. Sure he's a billionaire, and that's bad, but he also wants to do good, even in private, unlike Axe.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah tbh I'm liking this season way more than I thought I would. I'm down for another.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
I didn't expect much of the story when Axe left it. But ok let us give it a chance, right? So far so good and I somewhat warmed up to the new "thing".

Doing dress up ka-chings and what they are worth? I am out. What the gently caress? Can we bury the show?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I didn't really understand that at all. Why were they doing that?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The episode was titled burn rate. They (at times) were trying to show how much money Prince was burning to land the Olympics. No idea why they also showed the outfit costs other than a more in your face way to show how obscene everybody on the show is.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
It's also to show a little bit of the cogitative dissonance by some of the players. You have the hippie girl planning to have a old school off the grid minimalist camping trip buying the top of the line gear costing tens of thousands of dollars and acting like she was still the minimum wage waitress she was previously.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm a fan of Corey Stoll so I was always going to like this season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Halfway through Season 5. I like it a lot more than 3 & 4.

I'm dying laughing at the episode I'm on. Chuck just threw wine on a Picasso and Taylor is doing a pitch perfect Mike Birbiglia impression.

lol everyone at Axe Cap is high on trucker speed and the Treasury Secretary is having a meltdown in a Cabinet meeting. This show should have leaned into being a cartoon comedy much soon. The shady kidney dealing doctor is a riot too

I like how they play off Giamatti losing like 60 lbs. in between episodes as "Oh, Chuck shaved his beard"

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 20, 2022

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I thought for sure Billions was going to be another Homeland-style case of a Showtime show being milked to death, but this season has been surprisingly enjoyable. The Mike Prince, Axe Cap CEO thing has been much better than expected, and the Olympics angle is kind of the perfect vehicle. The Chuck side of things has been a little threadbare but Giamatti's so good he can probably make any material adequately compelling.

Wondering if they're setting things up for a Chuck & Wendy reunion after this week's episode.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Taylor turned into Axe last episode. They literally used Dollar Bill to unethically manipulate the media to get the price they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Dmitri-9 posted:

Taylor turned into Axe last episode. They literally used Dollar Bill to unethically manipulate the media to get the price they wanted.

What’s great though is from their world view it’s 100% justified (propping up a good vegan company) and their not wrong either, even if technically illegal.