Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

First really good episode in a while

I think they're finally going to pull the trigger on Wendy and Axe sleeping with each other

Can't tell if the blonde woman is mad about Taylor sleeping with an employee because of professional reasons, or because she wants to sleep with Taylor instead

Connerty's going to get caught trying to break into Chuck's house

This season has had a few misses. (Way too much weird References for no reason) but this episode wasn’t just good, it was paced like a good season one or two episode of the west wing. Same level or writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I got my Chuck long-term masterminding that I wanted and then some, going back way further than I expected it to. I wonder what Connerty's going to be doing next season, I'd be shocked to see the one character who has been in literally every episode (weirdly somehow Axe, Chuck and Wendy were all missing from at least one episode in there at some point, if I'm remembering my random imdbing correctly) just drop out of the picture, though with where he's at now that streak of constant appearance should probably end. The FBI and others listening to the full wiretaps on Chuck are some straight up dummies though, that conversation they have full on admits that they know about the wiretap, and that seems like the kind of thing you need to clue Connerty in on as the guy running point on the case. Like hey by the way, all the wiretap evidence we have to this point is probably worthless or at least highly suspect since they knew they were being recorded. It works in goofy Billions logic, but it is some wild stuff.

Solid character developments too, I wouldn't say it was too predictable for me because I definitely didn't expect Axe wanting Taylor working for him, though I should have with how much he's loved having people under this thumb.

I don't mind them teasing some sexual tension here and there, though I'm also in the camp that I don't want to see Wendy and Axe together. But man, at the same time with what a nuke that would be to really set off Chuck and Axe against each other I feel like it's going to happen eventually, or we'll find out they hooked up before she married Chuck or something.

That simile showcase is really something else too, what a fun and goofy show this is.

Yeah probably, I can't give Taylor quite enough chessmaster credentials to say that they're doing that purposefully but they might use it to their advantage down the line. Swaying Wendy is really the lynchpin of Chuck and Axe scheming against each other, they might land punches here and there but using Wendy in a plot is a knockout blow, and Axe definitely has the upper hand there right now.

i really like Taylor's idea to just set them both up and walk away on top, but it's hard to picture the endgame of the show leaving any major characters standing, I gotta figure Taylor ends up screwed too as part of one last "surprise, this happened behind the scenes" thing, probably done by Axe. Wags is doomed too, way too loyal to Axe, though goddamn am I on board with him turning his back on Axe at a key moment and taking over the firm when Axe gets truly ruined, that'd be a fun twist and really hammer home the ruthlessness that they've shown among the stock brokers. Dollar Bill and Victor have the ruthlessness to step up into a power vacuum too, and Ben Kim is a fun comedy option. That's really more me picturing that the firm must go on, I guess the more realistic thing is that the firm closes up shop when Axe is fined for all the money and his firm's reputation is shattered.

Anyway, fun show, fun ranting about it, really liked the finale giving me all the Rhodes scheming I wanted and then some. drat him bugging Connerty with the flag pin was choice too, totally didn't see that coming. Gonna be fun to see what Kate gets up to now that she's calling her own shots more too.

He may lose the firm but this show makes it very clear that having that money is enough for him to win and keep on someway in the end. Just like the real world. The people responsible for 2008 are still free and doing more terrible poo poo.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

bee posted:

There were too many similarities in the two scenes for it to have just been a coincidence...

Knowing the show runner from Twitter, 100% a reference.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

NowonSA posted:

6 seasons sounds about right. Once Wendy and Axe get together we've got to be in the endgame.

I enjoyed seeing a big ol consipracy collab again, that's some classic billions right there. I hope they end the show by going above and beyond with dueling massive plots by both Axe and Chuck, Taylor playing both sides to come out on top, and like 30 characters or more involved in the insanity.

Does anyone know if there was a proper reason for Axe to be separated a bunch of the time? I'm just curious if that came down to a practical necessity and not just something being done for the story. I do kind of like that it gives the impression that he's disconnected from what's going on, which is leaving him more open to not seeing all the angles in this particular case. And it's fun to think that he might loopy from Corona and that's dragging him down as well.

One thing I didn't really like is how massive a time jump the show seemed to make. It went from "hey corona's right around the corner" to "alright everyone's vaccinated, and I'm just now hanging up this painting that I got about a year ago." Like am I crazy, or did the show just skip forward basically a year and just not acknowledge it? I guess nobody will really notice it when this stuff's all well and truly behind us, but that seemed really weird to me. I guess time-traveling forward to everyone being vaccinated was a convenient way to get all those actors' faces on the screen uncovered.

Next season really should be Chuck vs. Axe in a proper trial. We got a bit of a tease of that before, but I'm ready for that to go down in earnest.

He was in England for COVID and his wife was very sick and tragically died.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Dmitri-9 posted:

Taylor turned into Axe last episode. They literally used Dollar Bill to unethically manipulate the media to get the price they wanted.

What’s great though is from their world view it’s 100% justified (propping up a good vegan company) and their not wrong either, even if technically illegal.