Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

NowonSA posted:

I think her desire there was pretty clearly to switch up the roles in the bedroom with Chuck being dominant. Him on top was working for her, the discussion in the shrink's office and going to see their old sex pal, definitely ample evidence. I do think it's possible that she cheats on him, but they've explored that story thread already and I definitely don't think that's what she's looking to do now.

The thread of Billions bringing in clear expy's of existing people continues, and I like Axe's new girl a lot.

Billions remains the #1 show for eating during scenes. If you add in drinking too then I think you can literally put it at 50% of the scenes in this episode. And Connerty full devouring that sandwich was as fun to see as the season's trailer suggested.

Edit: Also, if anyone offhand remembers why Chuck was throwing away half his sandwich early in episode 2 then please clue me in, I feel like he's done that before and explained why but I can't recall. I think maybe as a diet thing?

"He is a wasteful man, with no appreciation for and no vision of the future" - Chuck's dad.

Chuck's favour-trading caper was great, he kept pulling out the "park anywhere pass" like it was a Golden Ticket but everyone he offered it to already had their parking situation sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

NowonSA posted:

Ah good a thread was made, happy to pass off those thread-starting duties.

The barrage of cultural references really bugged me in this episode for some reason, maybe it just came off as a bit too forced. It's definitely par for the course, and I do like the show overall, so probably having Wags drop like 8 of them in the meeting with a definitely real Arab nation was a bridge too far for me.

This series includes a famous actor who's been in many well known movies, from Dangerous Liaisons to Con Air , from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy to Beowulf.
Has anyone ever referenced him? eg, "I want to get in Andolov's head. Really crawl in there and see what he's thinking. Like Craig Schwartz in Being John Malkovich"

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 27, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

The funeral scene was top notch. Can somebody gif the pure joy on Chuck's dad's face as he watched it all go down and the FBI bust in the room. Man that must have been a hosed up childhood.

Also great when he's standing on the development site. "When you're in the penthouse God looks up to you" and the reply, "Hey we need to take those expectations down a notch".

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Wendy is concerned about what people think of her. Meanwhile in Wags' office...

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
See what happens when Malkovich leaves a show!

I didn't understand Wags storyline at all.

EugeneJ posted:

"thank you"
"gently caress you"

gonna need a GIF of that

Wendy's a piece of poo poo, my goodness. Couldn't even go 2 weeks before I lost all sympathy for her again.

That scene on the water with her and Taylor playing chicken with their emotions was awesome. Wendy saw the slightest crack and pounced.

Not sure where the video of Cool Judge meeting with Chuck is going to end up, but Chuck is very close to losing everything and doesn't even know it.

Yes tough to feel any sympathy for Wendy's little personal problems when she's such an evil manipulator.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the explanation, it still seems like a plot more suited to Silicon Valley than this show.

But reading that I wish they'd allowed him onstage in his dress and heels to sing Major Tom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuJmxLzvMS8

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

Man...

Axe had a line in this week's episode...he said to that Victor guy who had to come back and work at AxeCap for him..."You're going to work like a sharecropper until these debts are repaid."

I cringed hard at that line...kind of brought me back into perspective that this show is about IRL human garbage despite how fun it is watching these characters.

Yes, working at a hedge fund in Manhattan is just like being an indentured farmer.

Axe is a greedy, horrible person who only talks to someone when he wants something from them.

Sarcastr0 posted:

re: Wendy.

When your motives are inscrutable, your pain is likewise, and instead of empathy your crying evokes only confusion.
Wendy could be lashing out at Taylor because there's no one else she can take out her anger and frustration on. (Chuck betrayed Wendy's trust, so Wendy is betraying Taylor's trust) However if that's the case the show should make it more explicit.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vernacular posted:

Ben Kim smiling and waving at disliked traitor Mafee was weird. I know he's supposed to be super nice beta cuck guy, but a dumb move like that still felt unnatural.

This season has had some nice, classic Billions "wow" moments, but in general it's all feeling a bit weak. I'm not finding the Axe vs. Taylor storyline all that compelling, and Connerty, Sacker and Jeffcoat have awkwardly faded into the background as these peripheral makeshift antagonists. I know the show's brand of conflict has always kinda been variations on a theme, but now it's feeling especially recycled.

The Wendy arc has the most depth, and to be fair it does seem like they're building toward something interesting there.

Episode recap: Axe buys a local pizzeria, Wendy goes jogging, Taylor's father returns home.

j/k I liked the ep and it was good to see Peter Jacobson, who was last seen in Colony. While the dead dog story is done it would be nice if he makes more appearances, he's such a good antagonist.

The Connerty stuff is building up, seems like everyone Chuck talks to and deals with is corrupt.

EugeneJ posted:

Give Paul Giamatti an Emmy for the pancake eater scene

:wtc:

I think it would have been better storyline wise if Mafee had shouted something like “every secret you told her she will use to crush you” to plant doubt in the remaining Axe staff about Wendy
Can the thread title be changed to Billions Season 4: Do I Look Like A Pancake Eater?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yes that stood out to me too. I was expecting a 5 minute story with several diversions and a twist ending from Chuck not an abrupt "No".

Similarly uncharacteristic when Wendy went to talk to Taylor and they said they wouldn't go to the hearing - what?!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Maybe Wendy doesn't need to gently caress Axe, she just needs a warm comforting embrace. Or she could go after hapless harmless Ben Kim, give that actor something to do.

Our Health and Safety Committee had someone come in to gave us 20 minute chair massages; I'm going to request a professional hugger and see what they say. (They already turned down my request for basketball finals tickets to help office morale).

So yeah at least twice in the past few episodes Chuck has offered Wendy help and she's responded by attacking him, I can understand if he's not feeling their relationship is worth working on. Still, he rarely passes up the opportunity to tell a story like that.

Maybe the show's writers use cultural references to distract us from the 180 degree turns the characters go through to maximize conflict like Keyser Söze limping to throw detectives off.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"The kamikaze get a bad name, because everyone wants to focus on the suicide. But what they miss out on is...the purity of the commitment!"

This Cobra Kai side story for Connerty is so strange. And hilarious.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 30, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Great episode for the Rhoades men as the sting against Connerty finally paid off.
The writing is so good.
Chuck thinks he's pitting Ax vs Taylor while Taylor thinks they're watching Ax vs Chuck.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

20 Blunts posted:

after episode 3 this season I'm not sure i can watch this show anymore

wendy is such a quack, just an educated moron

maybe its just everything else going on in the real world but i want to see pretty much every character in this show get their rear end beat

Wow I am going through the same dilemma. They're all avaricious egotistical assholes. No one I want to see 'win' in any way. No protagonists to root for.
Kind of reminds me of Entourage. Started out fun and entertaining but after a few seasons you realize (or the characters became) they're terrible misogynists and why did you ever think they were the good guys.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Okay yeah you're right 20 Blunts, so how about something lighter. But first, you gotta try a slice of this pizza. You eat this, then you'll agree to whatever deal I want to make with you.
I mean I've had a lot of pizzas in my day, but never anything as magical as the East Village hipster pie Ax serves up. Gotta say, If a billionaire bought me pizza for dinner (without a flight to Italy being involved) I might be a little shall we say underwhelmed.

Would artisan pizza be a the deal closer for you in a huge financial transaction?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

20 Blunts posted:

I anticipated your move, I knew you would offer me artisan pizza. So I bought every little pizza shop on the east coast and replaced with them with Papa John's. What's more, is I shorted the stock on buffalo mozzarella and liquidated the nation of Italy itself.

You're not a warrior like me.

***Boards private helicopter to the tune of "My War" by Black Flag***

You're not a warrior you're a monster. A voracious carnivorous monster! And you might think that private helicopter is cool but your landing pad is in Yonkers. Yonkers! Keep it, it's where you belong, you can never wash off the smell of Yonkers anyway.
Now you'll have to excuse me, going to a fancy Upper West Side soiree for movers and shakers.

ps you're not invited.
pps you wouldn't like it anyway, they're not serving pizza.
-------------------

Man, Axelrod really was a monster this episode, using people and tossing them aside.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

Am I the only one still rooting for Taylor coming out on top of this. :(

I guess that would be fine but I need more clarification on their motives and ambitions. I do like the team of quirky numbers geeks although admittedly sometimes I have to rewind and re-listen to figure out what they're talking about.

Julianna Margulies is great, hope she's around for a while.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Did Chuck commission a safe robbery to bribe a banking regulator? I know he literally did but that is not skirting the law. How could that possibly be worth the risk if it got out?

But that's where we are with this show. And, after all we've seen of Wag's weirdness he's going to be CEO of a bank owned by Bobby?! He was tripping on ayahuasca two weeks ago! (OTOH can anyone say, "oh that would never happen" given what is happening in the real world right now. )

I was all primed for a story from Wendie Malick about smuggling the ring that would top Christopher Walken's watch monologue in Pulp Fiction. But nope, just sewed it in jacket lining :(

And...
Chuck's assistant is named Sacker, appropriate for the woman who's now slept with both Connerty brothers.
:rimshot:

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 3, 2020

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\ Julianna Margulies could be in more scenes.

The way things are going I expect next week:

Bobby: I just opened a gallery and need your help.
Nick, the Axe Cap artist-in-residence: Sure, what would you like?
Bobby: Eggshell white in the main viewing area. Two coats. Get started early, I'm throwing a pizza party there at 8 tomorrow night.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 9, 2020

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

MorrisBae posted:

Who could Axe possibly bring as a date that would make Wendy jealous?

Wendy and Taylor are going to be livid when Bobby walks in with his date/new Axe Cap greenwash spokesperson Greta Thunberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
It was probably taurine + eight different types of mushroom LOL.

A few weeks ago Bobby was tripping on ayahuasca and now he's got his entire staff as guinea pigs for an unapproved nootropic while at work playing with billions of $$$ of other people's money. And still believes he can get or deserves a bank charter.

MorrisBae posted:

Artist guy flaking out on Wendy for the old rich lady was unexpected

Chuck's going to get his dad an HIV-infected black market kidney, isn't he

lol
I thought that was a good move for Nic.

Dr Swerdlow is a great character, so stone cold. "I keep the money".
The storylines are outrageous but the dialog and secondary characters in the past couple of episodes have been really entertaining.