Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Season 1 thread

Season 2 thread

Season 3 thread

Didn't see a thread - premiere was very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite line was “I’d slap you if I didn’t think it would turn you on” and then Chuck’s bashful reaction

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Episode 2 thoughts -

Wendy wants to cheat really bad and I think that's going to cause a problem for Chuck's Attorney General campaign. Either she'll refuse to play the role of happy housewife in public, or someone will snap photos of her with another man.

Axe finding his equal is both amusing and horrifying. Two people loving each other financially to the point where they're turned on by it.

Spyros getting into the inner-circle (even though it was only done because Wendy requested it) pleases me greatly

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NowonSA posted:

I think her desire there was pretty clearly to switch up the roles in the bedroom with Chuck being dominant. Him on top was working for her, the discussion in the shrink's office and going to see their old sex pal, definitely ample evidence. I do think it's possible that she cheats on him, but they've explored that story thread already and I definitely don't think that's what she's looking to do now.

Yeah but it was directly after the "sometimes a girl just needs to get railed" conversation at the bar and Wendy lying to the group about having sex whenever she wants.

She wanted Chuck to rail her.

I have a feeling Jerry O'Connell's character has a chance

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I will never look at rubber bands the same

Kevin Pollak was a welcome surprise

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wamsutta posted:

The chicken stuff was extremely goofy and kind of lost me (I guess rich people can do whatever they want but the idea of everyone just *poof*-ing from NYC to Arkansas made me laugh at its convenience) but fun episode. I was initially like 'Taylor's dad is a jerk' but the more I thought about it I quickly came around to the same understanding as NowonSA; I don't have children and nobody in my life has undergone a change of gender identity or preferred pronoun but I can imagine I'd have a tough time going to 100% instant understanding and acceptance even with the best will in my heart. I hope they keep showing Taylor and their father's relationship when it makes sense to.

I've had someone close to me transition when they were a teenager

Imagine telling all your relatives, "all family photos from before 2005 need to be taken out of the house or else Sophie might be triggered seeing photos of her past self" - boomers don't handle that well

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man.

That reminded me a lot of Big Love where Bill went public with his family's polygamy for political gain, but at least with that his wives were on board with it.

Wendy's going to find out about Axe and Chuck dealing behind her back - that won't be pretty.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like while Chuck and Axe are in theory on the same side now, they'll end up in a race to ratfuck each other to stay out of jail.

What characters end up on what side in that war will be fascinating.

I wonder if Wendy signed one of the iron-clad non competes that would prevent her from leaving Axe to go work for Taylor.

Her "I want to see you" line to Taylor was interesting, usually that would be reserved for a romantic interest.

There was a good shot last episode of Wendy leaving in the elevator after watching Chuck's presser, and the camera stayed on the open elevator like Axe was going to run and comfort her. Or someone...anyone...would run and comfort her.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nooneofconsequence posted:

Wendy sent them to her parents so they could avoid the shame of being around their mother.

They might have got Judy Winslowed - it seems like they’re never around and all the scenes at Chuck’s house take place at night to avoid explaining their absence beyond “they’re asleep”

Not that rich parents in Manhattan see their kids often anyway

A storyline about Au Paire’s would be great, now that I think about it

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

Wendy is concerned about what people think of her. Meanwhile in Wags' office...

It was interesting to see camaraderie among the two characters who, between Axe and Chuck, know where all the bodies are buried

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"thank you"
"gently caress you"

gonna need a GIF of that

Wendy's a piece of poo poo, my goodness. Couldn't even go 2 weeks before I lost all sympathy for her again.

That scene on the water with her and Taylor playing chicken with their emotions was awesome. Wendy saw the slightest crack and pounced.

Not sure where the video of Cool Judge meeting with Chuck is going to end up, but Chuck is very close to losing everything and doesn't even know it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

I didn't understand Wags storyline at all.

I had to Google it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_Beta_Phi

quote:

Kappa Beta Phi (ΚΒΦ) is a secret society, best known for its Wall Street Chapter that is made up of high-ranking financial executives.

The purpose of the organization is largely social and honorific. The current honor society meets once a year at a black-tie dinner to induct new members. The current president is Alfred E. Smith IV.

quote:

The organization's name is a reversal of Phi Beta Kappa, and instead of a key, the members wear a fob tied to a red ribbon around their necks.

The organization's officers bear odd titles such as Grand Swipe (the president), Grand Smudge, Grand Loaf and Master at Arms. The annual dinner has been described by The Wall Street Journal as "Part Friar's Club roast, part 'Gong Show.'" New inductees are expected to perform in a variety show to entertain the members, and many inductees benefit from professional coaches and writers to prepare them for their performances. Backed by a five-piece band, the inductees performed renditions of well-known tunes with lyrics modified to satirize Wall Street.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

Wendy could be lashing out at Taylor because there's no one else she can take out her anger and frustration on. (Chuck betrayed Wendy's trust, so Wendy is betraying Taylor's trust) However if that's the case the show should make it more explicit.

Wendy said if she didn't have anyone to talk to (Taylor) she would end up in "a dark place"

So if she's not talking about killing herself...I'd hate to see what that looks like - like how much more evil can she get?

It's almost like the series is going to culminate with everyone in her life facing jailtime and she's going to have to try and fix it all - which would actually be a cool redemption story for her character

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Give Paul Giamatti an Emmy for the pancake eater scene

:wtc:

I think it would have been better storyline wise if Mafee had shouted something like “every secret you told her she will use to crush you” to plant doubt in the remaining Axe staff about Wendy

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just thought of an interesting idea - remember when Axe’s spy guy offered Wendy a job earlier in the season and Axe snapped “she’s not going anywhere”

What if Wendy did end up working for that guy and used surveillance on Taylor/Axe/Chuck to manipulate them for...well who knows what motivates Wendy.

Taylor should go after Wendy for HIPAA violations and go public with it - Wendy wouldn’t be able to work in the medical profession again

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I usually wait until later Sunday to post in case other people didn’t watch the episode early on-demand, but gently caress it

That episode had a lot going on - Chuck Sr. casually revealing he had a Native American lovechild in the middle of Chuck’s strongarm attempt was hilarious.

Wendy and Chuck reconciling is disappointing. Wendy now feels powerless professionally and the only way she can feel in control is by pulling Chuck’s strings. Chuck and the head of the Native American board had some chemistry and I’d like to see them together again.

End of the boxing match really drove home Taylor's dad's parting words that "even if you win, it won't feel like it". Wall Street is stupid and there will be no winners in the battle between Taylor and Axe.

Sarcastr0 posted:

Close enough to be impressive. In shows like this one ethics laws are always more like magic than science.

Not sure if this is a credit to me or a credit to the show becoming more predictable. The minute Wendy asked for a former patient's records I was like "that's a red flag".

If she has to go before the medical board, Wendy might escape unharmed if whatever clerk she got the records from is paid off beforehand. It's not like there's a paper trail as there would be had she accessed an electronic database.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 6, 2019

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm doing a rewatch of the first and second seasons, and holy lord what is up with all the vaping?

I feel like none of the characters smoked after the second season

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Have Connerty and Wendy ever shared a scene together?

I'm trying to think of pairings that haven't been done yet and might make for fun television

Chuck interrogating Taylor has to happen at some point - that's going to be bonkers

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vernacular posted:

So did the producers just decide that they didn't want to compete with the GoT finale tonight?

Yep

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
First really good episode in a while

I think they're finally going to pull the trigger on Wendy and Axe sleeping with each other

Can't tell if the blonde woman is mad about Taylor sleeping with an employee because of professional reasons, or because she wants to sleep with Taylor instead

Connerty's going to get caught trying to break into Chuck's house

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vernacular posted:

I don't think I would mind the show veering off into Wendy-sleeping-with-Axe territory. It's a trope, no doubt, but that doesn't mean it won't have interesting ramifications for the show. It's also kind of been pre-ordained in a way, has it not? And the show does have a kind of a grandiose Shakespearean/Greek tragic feel, so it would be "in character".

Besides, with things starting to feel more obviously recycled, it might be a good time to start ushering in the final act.

Wendy ending up with Axe and Chuck ending up with Lara would be fitting

If Chuck can't sink Axe in court, he can definitely find satisfaction in loving his ex-wife and spending his money

Chuck would need a strong other-half if he ever wants to run for governor/president - Lara fits the bill

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NowonSA posted:

I hadn't thought of a wife swap but that would be a fun dynamic to explore, as much as part of me would still hate it I'd like a Wendy/Axe pairing a lot more if that happened.

I mean, gently caress, imagine how pissed Lara would get when she finds out Wendy and Axe are a couple

And then there's Rebecca (who I'm already tired of) - she'll also seek blood if Axe cheats on her

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They came so close to loving

So close!

Taylor telling their girlfriend about the trojan horse is going to be a fatal mistake - Wendy's going to sniff that poo poo out

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I’m going to predict Connerty ends up working for Axe as a way to seek revenge on Chuck - assuming he’s not in jail for the rest of the series.

Axe trying and failing to watch “Citizen Kane” during Season 1 gives away that the man’s going to die alone with his money - I think Wendy at some point will realize she can help Chuck from inside the Axelrod castle. Even if they don’t gently caress, just hearing that Wendy is living with Axe is going to set Chuck off.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wamsutta posted:

I didn't hate season 4 but I didn't like it a lot either. It's starting to feel tired and none of the twists feel like much of a surprise. I hope they cap it at 5 seasons.

The "we're all protesting" scene where they all come to Axe's office window and raise their fists was straight out of a goddamn sitcom

Billions with a laugh track would be an interesting project