Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone hype? Been some StarCraft interest lately so figured i'd check if people want to get some games in, maybe set up some imp parties. I also have Supreme Commander if you're down for that. If you got another RTS game you're into this is the place to share it, but u gotta be hype!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i love watching high level SC2 but I am a giant coward when it comes to playing 1v1, it stresses me out too much lol the campaigns and being a dumbass in 4v4/giant ffas is great though

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i liek pikmin

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I used to play a lot of Age of Mythology in college with my friends but that was a long time ago OP.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

extremebuff posted:

i love watching high level SC2 but I am a giant coward when it comes to playing 1v1, it stresses me out too much lol the campaigns and being a dumbass in 4v4/giant ffas is great though

Yeah i don't really want to start taking it seriously again just want to get people going for big clusterfuck team games.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i like seven kingdoms op because im a hipster

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm a Zerg main.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
im the guy who likes watching TvT tank stalemates

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

im the guy who likes watching TvT tank stalemates

Dear god. I would yolo tech switch to battlecruisers in TvT cause I hated those so much.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I used to play so much RA2 and wonder if it’s still as good. I tried to make a lot of custom maps that blew rear end

Anyone play emperor: battle for dune? I think it was Westwood’s last game.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

my morning jackass posted:

I used to play so much RA2 and wonder if it’s still as good. I tried to make a lot of custom maps that blew rear end

Anyone play emperor: battle for dune? I think it was Westwood’s last game.

No, but I did play their first Dune game on the Genesis. I don't think you could select multiple units in that.

I think some of the old C&Cs are free now if we wanted to do a complete nonsense battle royale.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The only RTS game I've ever played is Planet Blupi.

https://www.twitch.tv/hfacktor/clip/RespectfulWildParrotUncleNox

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The skills should transfer.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

P-Mack posted:

No, but I did play their first Dune game on the Genesis. I don't think you could select multiple units in that.

I think some of the old C&Cs are free now if we wanted to do a complete nonsense battle royale.

dune 2000 is pretty decent, its the original game remade in the c&c engine

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

dune 2000 is pretty decent, its the original game remade in the c&c engine

yeah it is good.

I thought emperor was good and definitely had the feel of a Westwood rts and despite looking kinda bad I appreciated the style. There was also a lot of different strategies to use cause of the house alliances.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Brood War.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The OP's endless enthusiasm for SC got me to play some 1v1 SC2 tonight with him and it's more fun than I thought. in my mind games lasted a lot longer than I thought they would, the pace is pretty manic. maybe ill learn how to play Toss before the end of 2019

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Command and Conquer remasters are due in the summer. Can’t wait to play Red Alert again :rms:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Though who knows EA may end up adding microtransactions and other horrible poo poo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

The OP's endless enthusiasm for SC got me to play some 1v1 SC2 tonight with him and it's more fun than I thought. in my mind games lasted a lot longer than I thought they would, the pace is pretty manic. maybe ill learn how to play Toss before the end of 2019

in the legacy of the void expansion/making the multi free for everyone update, they completely reworked the game to be way faster. before there was literally a 5 minute period of nothing at the start where you watched your workers slowly gather minerals and you built the basic stuff, only took bliz 7 years to realize this was loving stupid lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

extremebuff posted:

in the legacy of the void expansion/making the multi free for everyone update, they completely reworked the game to be way faster. before there was literally a 5 minute period of nothing at the start where you watched your workers slowly gather minerals and you built the basic stuff, only took bliz 7 years to realize this was loving stupid lol

It wasn't anywhere near 5 minutes but starting with 10 workers instead of 5 is a big change that really weakens early game cheese.

Also they made it so your workers are already mining, before they were just standing by the base and it was a big deal to have an efficient "worker split" where you microed them to different mineral clusters in the first second of the game. Gave the commentators something to talk about for the first twenty seconds anyway.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

P-Mack posted:

It wasn't anywhere near 5 minutes but starting with 10 workers instead of 5 is a big change that really weakens early game cheese.

Also they made it so your workers are already mining, before they were just standing by the base and it was a big deal to have an efficient "worker split" where you microed them to different mineral clusters in the first second of the game. Gave the commentators something to talk about for the first twenty seconds anyway.

drat, sounds like theyve really noobified the game

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's a little more accessible but still mentally taxing, from what I can see. You hit midgame fast and need to know how to macro on multiple bases.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
i finished the starcraft campaign back in january and I look forward to brood war in 2021 and starcraft 2 in 2033

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I started replaying the warcraft 3 campaigns. Got to the expansion now, very comfy gaming

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Syncopated posted:

I started replaying the warcraft 3 campaigns. Got to the expansion now, very comfy gaming

I remember TFT campaign being a lot of fun even though I never got into wc3 multi.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Does anyone magically remember if you need RA2 installed to play Yuri's Revenge?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Does anyone magically remember if you need RA2 installed to play Yuri's Revenge?

yeah it was an expansion not a standalone

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I love Starcraft and Starcraft 2 op.

Gsl code s is occurring now, watch the videos for the best rts action on the planet

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate the lotv changes because it means early game cheese doesnt work as often, and guess who sucks at macroing even one base? So unless my enemy does a very basic mistake like not expanding I just cant win. I got rolled by a ball of protoss or a perfectly balanced biomech army. Most zerg players are retarded but they're all good at macro so I get rolled by 180 zerglings 9 minutes in the game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm good at planetary annihilation and I own supcom so we could play it some time. I also got all the homeworld and dawn of war games. I love rts I just suck at it

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I hate the lotv changes because it means early game cheese doesnt work as often, and guess who sucks at macroing even one base? So unless my enemy does a very basic mistake like not expanding I just cant win. I got rolled by a ball of protoss or a perfectly balanced biomech army. Most zerg players are retarded but they're all good at macro so I get rolled by 180 zerglings 9 minutes in the game

Try learning some fundies you brain damaged, smelly log of poo poo.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm good at planetary annihilation and I own supcom so we could play it some time. I also got all the homeworld and dawn of war games. I love rts I just suck at it

I kick-started PA but haven't touched it since it was in alpha, maybe you could show me the ropes after I figure out how to reinstall it. I heard they added actual maps at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

P-Mack posted:

I kick-started PA but haven't touched it since it was in alpha, maybe you could show me the ropes after I figure out how to reinstall it. I heard they added actual maps at some point?

Uhh... no, not really. Idk if they're in the base game but theres a few 1v1 maps I played in the expansion that actually have terrain so you cant just put a few factories on repeat with a global patrol order and harass the enemy from all sides constantly. Still cant turtle though, and a few of them have more than one planet so the problem of no choke points is still there