Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

RagnarokZ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IssNq2TBzfA

Yep. Stadia was a failure right from the start.

Wouldn't call it a tragedy though.

This thread saw all the problems it hit and called them out while they were announcing the drat thing. This trainwreck was obvious and what everyone was in this thread for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:siren: Not quite dead yet :siren:

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1613998016033071104

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Worm Game will save Stadia

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

It's weird to receive a new game for "free" and kind of hope it sucks because in a week no one will ever be able to play it again.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

jokes posted:

Worm Game will save Stadia

It will be a masterpiece and it will turn out that Google has been sitting on it since day 1 with some C-level calling it a dumb game for babies. It will also really require Stadia's backend to work and not be viable to port.

This is how cursed objects work.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

PowerBeard posted:

A Tragedy for those devs though, imagine being asked to make games and then getting the rug pull because Google didn't understand how games worked.

Honestly, the last six months had so many red flags that I don't fell sorry for whoever in the studios decided to go in on Stadia.

Obviously the actual programs, artists and whatnot and all their wasted work is tragic.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

pixaal posted:

It will be a masterpiece and it will turn out that Google has been sitting on it since day 1 with some C-level calling it a dumb game for babies. It will also really require Stadia's backend to work and not be viable to port.

The final "released" game on Stadia: Schrodinger's Video Game

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Credit where it's due, Stadia Studios actually shipped a game. I didn't think they had it in them.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Good news is stadia users are all getting a free decent tier Bluetooth controller.

Just read they'll be unlocking Bluetooth on em with a firmware update next week.

So in conclusion stadia is a success!!
Their game studio made a game.
Controller will have Bluetooth functionality.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Wow one last game that uses more streaming data in two minutes than it would take just to download the drat thing! Such great business modeling

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Pouring one out for all the homies who won't be able to win their friends/family/customers/random strangers over to Stadia anymore, by hearing them gripe about their Xbox or Playstation, smugly going "check this out" and then all gaming problems are magically solved and everyone they know ordered four Stadia controllers each :sadwave:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Soon I'll have to face my buck toothed wife.

Goodbye stadia crawlspace. Goodbye.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"Mommy, where's daddy?"
*cut to stadiadad barricaded in the crawlspace, a tear rolling down his cheek as he goes the the motions of using the controller in front of a blank screen*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Did Google remember to tell the astroturfers to stop? Gonna be real fun past the cutoff date if they still keep generating posts recommending Stadia otherwise.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did Google remember to tell the astroturfers to stop? Gonna be real fun past the cutoff date if they still keep generating posts recommending Stadia otherwise.

Okay, I know there was talk of a suicide pact between this thread and Stadia itself, but can we please give it at least a couple more days to see if this actually happens?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Our long national nightmare is finally coming to an end:

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1613999717519605760

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Time_pants posted:

Okay, I know there was talk of a suicide pact between this thread and Stadia itself, but can we please give it at least a couple more days to see if this actually happens?
Also: it's not like I'll tire of making GBS threads on game streaming and the erosion of ownership it represents.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I bought a "trashbag" full of unopened Stadia controllers for $5 a piece when Google broke the sad news; I was going to use them as useless joke stocking stuffers over the holidays...but something told me to wait. Now this bag of controllers is worth BIG TIME bucks and I'm laughing all the way to the bank. Thanks Staida

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Your Buck tootheed wife was probably real mad... Whose mad now.. mad with money!!!!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Kins posted:

Our long national nightmare is finally coming to an end:

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1613999717519605760

Lol i can guarantee this was a last minute decision and they had to probably hire outside developers to make this happen.

I worked at google as a contractor when this poo poo dropped and my god everyone at the office was drinking the kool aid. It was so loving sad but honestly idk what the gently caress they were thinking. Even the internal chat about stadia EVERYONE was delusional

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s funny cause all anyone was talking about when it was announced was what a lovely product it was. Nobody was gonna loving buy a game outside of steam on a brand new platform that you can’t download from and from a company known for dumping all its services within like a year.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can I have a controller

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Going through the early thread and checking out real time reactions to the announcement, lol that they waited 3 months to drop the bombshell that it wasn’t actually a Netflix/GP-type service.

American McGay posted:

They've decided to hide the fact that you still have to buy the games even with a paid subscription as a "Buy games whenever you want: Yes" bulletpoint, lmfao.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1136671474461208576

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

And the multiplayer games were walled off into their own world lol

That was just as bad lol

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

And the multiplayer games were walled off into their own world lol

That was just as bad lol

You don't want to give stadia players an unfair advantage in net play with their negative latencies.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, they hosed themselves from the get-go by needing devs to build specifically for Stadia's flavvour of Linux. GFN and the like (at least to my knowledge) do not have that problem.

Huh, I guess a linux-based gaming device or service is totally impossible then. I better call Gabe and tell him to cancel the Steamdeck, it's sure to be a failure.

(Of all the things that made stadia harder to port to, "linux" is pretty low on the list, "stadia-specific features and APIs developed by google engineers who had zero history in gamedev" was somewhere in the middle, and "the audience is minuscule and almost none of them buy the games outright, this will lose money" was right at the top.)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The solved the "linux problem" by throwing buckets of cash never before seen at devs to port games.
The problem is the studios looked at the 15 people playing the game and decided it wasn't worth doing again; they need on-going revenues for time taken.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
The Linux thing wasn't really ever a problem.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Pouring one out for our resident Stadia shill, RIP homie, you a real one

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Klyith posted:

Huh, I guess a linux-based gaming device or service is totally impossible then. I better call Gabe and tell him to cancel the Steamdeck, it's sure to be a failure.

(Of all the things that made stadia harder to port to, "linux" is pretty low on the list, "stadia-specific features and APIs developed by google engineers who had zero history in gamedev" was somewhere in the middle, and "the audience is minuscule and almost none of them buy the games outright, this will lose money" was right at the top.)

The Steamdeck runs Proton, as a compatibility layer so Windows-based stuff Just Works on it. Stadia does not.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

The Linux thing wasn't really ever a problem.

It was totally a problem.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Klyith posted:

It wasn't just Linux, it was "Linux and you must port it to our snowflake setup". e.g. Celeste was simultaneously released on Windows, macOS, Linux, xbone, switch, and ps4, and then the dev had to spend a non-trivial amount of time two years later doing a Stadia port. If Stadia had been like Luna or GFN except Linux (ie you're just remoteing into a box with a video card and all Google needs to do to add a Linux game is get a publisher to say "yes"), Google probably would not have had to cough up tens of millions of dollars per AAA game and could have filled the service with great indies, or even launched it as as mostly-subscription Google Game Cloud. I'm not sure it's ultimate fate would have been different, but it would have at least been better, financed porting a bunch of games to Linux for the Steamdeck, and limped along for another two or three years before it was sent to the Google graveyard.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

MarcusSA posted:

It was totally a problem.

Maybe I should clarify: it wasn't THE problem. It was an additional cost to publish on their platform, but every platform has some additional costs. It definitely wasn't worth the cost, but that's like saying the you didn't like your trip on the Titanic because the room was too small.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm one of the few people who enjoyed Stadia, but I think it worked for me mostly because I skipped the PS4/Xbone gen because I was still playing new-to-me games on my cfw PS3 up until Stadia came out so most of the games on Stadia except AC: Black Flag and Tomb Raider 2013 were new to me. Plus, between work, family and other hobbies, I play maybe 10-12 hours a week and from other threads on SA, I'm pretty sure that's more of a per day number for most goons.

I've moved on to a Series S with Game Pass Ultimate but the simplicity of starting a game with one click and never waiting for updates was nice.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Except for all the games that did have to wait for updates every time they started.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Steamdeck runs Proton, as a compatibility layer so Windows-based stuff Just Works on it. Stadia does not.

As someone who moved to linux full-time in the past year, and cannot compliment Proton highly enough: the problems that Proton is solving could be just as easily solved in linux ports by a consistent and centrally-managed platform (ie Stadia) overseen by someone like Google. Linux is a problem for games because of the insanely diverse ecosystem, and much less devotion to backwards compatibility than MS has.

OTOH if Google had invented Proton and was running Stadia on that, it would not have made a lick of difference to the outcome.

Gobbeldygook posted:

It wasn't just Linux, it was "Linux and you must port it to our snowflake setup". e.g. Celeste was simultaneously released on Windows, macOS, Linux, xbone, switch, and ps4, and then the dev had to spend a non-trivial amount of time two years later doing a Stadia port.

but the celeste dev was extremely complimentary about the stadia dev experience. that ain't someone talking about 2 years of non-trivial work. though I guess he was already pretty comfortable with the linux part.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I'm one of the few people who enjoyed Stadia, but I think it worked for me mostly because I skipped the PS4/Xbone gen because I was still playing new-to-me games on my cfw PS3 up until Stadia came out so most of the games on Stadia except AC: Black Flag and Tomb Raider 2013 were new to me. Plus, between work, family and other hobbies, I play maybe 10-12 hours a week and from other threads on SA, I'm pretty sure that's more of a per day number for most goons.

I've moved on to a Series S with Game Pass Ultimate but the simplicity of starting a game with one click and never waiting for updates was nice.

There's certainly a use case out there where I could see it working well enough to feel like you got your money's worth. The problem is, expense of running the operation was orders of magnitude more expensive than the revenue its user base could possibly generate with the business model they insisted on. At no point did anyone stop to realize that every one-time sale had baked into it the potential for a theoretically limitless recurring cost in the form of having to dedicate hardware and resources to letting them play it until the heat death of the universe Google takes the servers behind the shed and puts a bullet in them less than 3 years later.

Not just in terms of personality, but Google could not have hand selected a worse type of customer to be drawn to their product. I'm willing to bet a higher than average proportion of Stadia's users were extremely low-margin customers for the industry they chose to embarrass themselves in. Anyone who thought Stadia looked like a good deal probably wasn't worth the effort, and anyone Google would have seen as a profitable demographic didn't think Stadia was worth the money. I think what was so shocking to me about Stadia not having an all-you-can-eat Netflix-style subscription model was I think Google thought people who would subscribe to that service would the low-margin customers. No. Opposite! Those are the people who would subscribe for $15/mo., play maybe twice, and then forget to cancel for an entire year.

But I'm also a dumb, ugly, mouth-breather and what's this oh no I forgot to turn on my monitor.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Klyith posted:

As someone who moved to linux full-time in the past year, and cannot compliment Proton highly enough: the problems that Proton is solving could be just as easily solved in linux ports by a consistent and centrally-managed platform (ie Stadia) overseen by someone like Google. Linux is a problem for games because of the insanely diverse ecosystem, and much less devotion to backwards compatibility than MS has.

OTOH if Google had invented Proton and was running Stadia on that, it would not have made a lick of difference to the outcome.

but the celeste dev was extremely complimentary about the stadia dev experience. that ain't someone talking about 2 years of non-trivial work. though I guess he was already pretty comfortable with the linux part.

Yes. Not every part of Stadia's tech was as befuddling as the business model. They provided a lot of support to my knowledge for porting, and if you were already using Vulkan it cut a lot out.

Stadia is/was a management problem. There were a lot of cool little tech things going on behind it, and some weird and maybe bad ones.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

That would be peak Google :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

American McGay posted:

Going through the early thread and checking out real time reactions to the announcement, lol that they waited 3 months to drop the bombshell that it wasn’t actually a Netflix/GP-type service.

I also went back and check out the thread right after the announcement and every callout in the thread was exactly on the money on why it would fail.

“Who is the market for this?” was brought up immediately when it came out games were paid. This wasn’t even a slow-mo car crash but someone being diagnosed with late stage aggressive cancer or heart failure. There was only one way that Stadia was going and the only question was “How long will Google keep it on life support?”

PowerBeard posted:

Feels like a race between Amazon Luna and GFN, where the former might not get enough AAA games and the latter will keep price gouging and also lose more AAA games.

They both will lose the race to Steam who is taking the “what if we made a product people actually want” approach rather than “The Cloud is the future.” The Deck eats a huge amount of their potential market.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 16, 2023