Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Main Website
Steam Page
GOG Page
Itch.io Page

What is Hypnospace Outlaw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb4Jul496QE

Hypnospace Outlaw is the newest adventure game from Jay Tholen, also known as Gaspy Conona here on SA, and the Tendershoot team. The takes place in an alternative universe 1999 where Hypnospace exists, an Internet accessed while the user is sleeping through a special headset. You act as a Hynospace Enforcer working for the corporation that runs Hypnospace, Merchantsoft, in order to locate and report users that are violating the rules of Hynospace ranging from copyright infringement to use of programs that Merchantsoft deems to be illegal.

So is it good?

Yeah, its really good. Hypnospace Outlaw is a great loving parody of the late 90's Internet but also an effective satire of the corporate Internet of the present. There is tons of love put into these old timey joke websites and the game even develops the Hypnospace users quite well. Gameplay-wise its like games like Her Story where the interface is a computer but greatly expanded, you surf multiple websites and use a bunch of different programs to solve the cases given to you. It's a really unique game and you all need to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY8S6mF6evQ

May the Chowder Man be with you...

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

GOTY alert

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

This game is cool, especially the last quarter. It was really fun to understand who each user was and how they interacted with each other. RIP Coolpunk.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
My wife and had so much fun browsing the different websites in this game, we ended up accidentally solving a bunch of the cases given to us.

We also really enjoyed going Serpico towards the end, especially when (Chapter 2 & 3 spoilers) We got banned from administration for reporting Dylan. As soon as we got our privileges back we want back and reported every remaining file.

The music in this game is such a heap of junk food that visiting a new page was like a treat.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Really really enjoying this. Love how this universe's version of illegal content is da share z0ne

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Your mom buys you shoes at the dollar store.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

(i don't, actually, I reported all the goopers I could find, including the drawings of him by the little kids)

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

StrixNebulosa posted:

(i don't, actually, I reported all the goopers I could find, including the drawings of him by the little kids)

I hope you got all of those motherfuckers banned.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So I'm after the two week break and it looks like I have several options to take, since you generate your own cases at this point.

Also beta testing Hypnospace Outlaw gives you actual money(I mean hypnocoins)?

After the Hypnospace Outlaw alpha:
1. Easiest: Busting up the Gooper brigade, but that seems a little mean and easy?

2. Busting SherriHeals because she's still using CapaCash. But that seems even meaner because that's how she's making a living?

3. Investigating this FLST more, maybe buying that flist passwords list.

Zane and Corey seem to be red herrings for now despite how gross they are with Tiff, and the same with Beefbrain Pro since that's not actually charging money? m1nx and t1mawesome seem to be laying low right now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Synthbuttrange posted:

So I'm after the two week break and it looks like I have several options to take, since you generate your own cases at this point.

Also beta testing Hypnospace Outlaw gives you actual money(I mean hypnocoins)?

After the Hypnospace Outlaw alpha:
1. Easiest: Busting up the Gooper brigade, but that seems a little mean and easy?

2. Busting SherriHeals because she's still using CapaCash. But that seems even meaner because that's how she's making a living?

3. Investigating this FLST more, maybe buying that flist passwords list.

Zane and Corey seem to be red herrings for now despite how gross they are with Tiff, and the same with Beefbrain Pro since that's not actually charging money? m1nx and t1mawesome seem to be laying low right now.

Tiff's chatlogs of her getting harassed counts as harassment and you get paid for it. You don't have to flag her for it though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BEEFBRAIN ISNT REAL

PIZZADANCE IS THE BEST

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Tiff's chatlogs of her getting harassed counts as harassment and you get paid for it.

Huh really? hm, because it seems like just marking those might get her account in trouble instead of the perps. I'll have a look.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Synthbuttrange posted:

Huh really? hm, because it seems like just marking those might get her account in trouble instead of the perps. I'll have a look.
I edited my last post, but you don't have to flag her for it. Dylan will even email you and tell you to don't flag her because Merchantsoft has no control over ChitChat and the enforcement software has no real way to ding the offenders

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Just downloaded my copy (backer),and I plan on playing it as soon as I have time. Anyone have an idea as to the total game length? It's apparently 3-4 hours according to a friend if you just brute-force your way through it, but I'm guessing doing side stuff and exploring the Hypnospace adds a lot of time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

*clicks flag on Professor Helper*

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

I edited my last post, but you don't have to flag her for it. Dylan will even email you and tell you to don't flag her because Merchantsoft has no control over ChitChat and the enforcement software has no real way to ding the offenders

Oh god so it's actually a puzzle about our stupid limited toolset hitting more complicated real world problems. holy fuuuu

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

VolticSurge posted:

Just downloaded my copy (backer),and I plan on playing it as soon as I have time. Anyone have an idea as to the total game length? It's apparently 3-4 hours according to a friend if you just brute-force your way through it, but I'm guessing doing side stuff and exploring the Hypnospace adds a lot of time.

Two-Three hours max if you plow through and don't get stuck on any puzzles.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Nude Professor Helper?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Looks like you're trying to flag an account do you need some help with that?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

TwoDayLife posted:

Two-Three hours max if you plow through and don't get stuck on any puzzles.

About what I was expecting. Is there a ton of side stuff and secrets, or is it threadbare besides the main story content?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

VolticSurge posted:

About what I was expecting. Is there a ton of side stuff and secrets, or is it threadbare besides the main story content?

I'm taking things slowly to read every page and play with everything so I just finished "act one" The first time-skip and I have three hours in this.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

VolticSurge posted:

Very easy to get lost in the side stuff. It's a miniature Internet. Most of the puzzles involve hunting down info, finding new pages, figuring out password prompts. Story is mostly there to give you a purpose. I would have been totally fine with the game if it was just browsing and figuring out stuff about the users.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

I'm at what I presume is endgame with 6 hours, but there's a lot of stuff I haven't found yet

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

oh my loving god

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yes, help me!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just found Hynospace's steampunk analogue and it's glorious.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Synthbuttrange posted:

I just found Hynospace's steampunk analogue and it's glorious.

Now play the IF game about it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

got stuck for a while, had a huge breakthrough, but now i'm stuck again - a hint would be appreciated

I found the Eye program so I could finally access Tim's page, and I found and reported all of the LeakyPiping poo poo to Sam. What's next? I have Tim's list of passwords, but I don't seem to be able to use them anywhere? I've also found M1NX's homepage, but have no idea what to do with it - the Eye just displays a message about "not being able to afford the program" which I thought meant hypnocure pro (for safe mode), but apparently doesn't?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

dmboogie posted:

got stuck for a while, had a huge breakthrough, but now i'm stuck again - a hint would be appreciated

I found the Eye program so I could finally access Tim's page, and I found and reported all of the LeakyPiping poo poo to Sam. What's next? I have Tim's list of passwords, but I don't seem to be able to use them anywhere? I've also found M1NX's homepage, but have no idea what to do with it - the Eye just displays a message about "not being able to afford the program" which I thought meant hypnocure pro (for safe mode), but apparently doesn't?

Take the seeing eye to a fantasy land.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

dmboogie posted:

You have everything you need to access M1NX, that's where you should look next. Everything else should fall into place once you have that figured out.

Accordion Man posted:

Take the seeing eye to a fantasy land.
Not really obvious why they should do that, also without knowing where to look it might take some time

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Late game and ending spoilers is there any way to pin the crash on Dylan rather than Tim being an idiot teen?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Late game and ending spoilers is there any way to pin the crash on Dylan rather than Tim being an idiot teen?

Wait a while.

anyways thanks for the help y'all! ending felt a bit abrupt but the final files made me legit emotional.

TwoDayLife posted:

You have everything you need to access M1NX, that's where you should look next. Everything else should fall into place once you have that figured out.

lmao I actually managed to beat the game without ever making my way in - kinda embarrassing that I just, didn't hover the eye over the right place lmao - I even saw the troubleshooter.

quote:

Not really obvious why they should do that, also without knowing where to look it might take some time

In all fairness I HAD already seen r3ckoning's page that mentioned being "now in the Freelands", I just forgot about it.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
I'm super digging the aesthetic of this game but I'm stuck very early on already. Spoilers about an early case involving payment methods follow:

I've found 3 infractions on the fortune teller's page but I cannot find a fourth, let alone more. I have just been sort of clicking around and enjoying the websites but I have no idea where I should be looking to find the other infractions. It seems to be holding up progress and I don't want to get bored and quit - any hints?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Bettik posted:

I'm super digging the aesthetic of this game but I'm stuck very early on already. Spoilers about an early case involving payment methods follow:

I've found 3 infractions on the fortune teller's page but I cannot find a fourth, let alone more. I have just been sort of clicking around and enjoying the websites but I have no idea where I should be looking to find the other infractions. It seems to be holding up progress and I don't want to get bored and quit - any hints?

sounds like you need a professor's help here

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

pizza dance is for 10 year olds!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Was watching a streamer play and knew drat near immediately that the creator had to have had SA exposure.

The ice cream song is destroying my brain.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Cygni posted:

Was watching a streamer play and knew drat near immediately that the creator had to have had SA exposure.

Dude actually is a Goon, so yes indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dropsy folks right?