Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

As someone who came online in 2001, the 1999 internet and the 2003 internet are VASTLY different beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
same

In 2003 I could be tom's friend and you would have to be granted a gmail account by someone who had a gmail account. It was in the early phases of cybersecurity where you could do wizard poo poo like stealing another user's cookies and by telling a computer you were cool by saying 1=1. There's a lotta space to play in that era.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
is gooper in the public domain by 2003???

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gonna put chowder man lyrics in all my away messages

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Coolpunk's not dead! :colbert:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

ErrEff posted:

Speaking of ancient web design, https://www.webdesignmuseum.org is a real good resource for exploring old layouts.

lmao whoaa

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
That Space Jam website was up for like 2 decades until they made the sequel.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Kaysette posted:

That Space Jam website was up for like 2 decades until they made the sequel.

Still technically there, baby

https://www.spacejam.com/1996/

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The CNN OJ Simpson trial website it still up, in all it's 1995 glory.

http://www.cnn.com/US/OJ/

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I see the "zenny" symbol in the DS-OS interface -- is that gonna be the name of the currency?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72CGLH2Qxvc

https://www.webdesignmuseum.org/gallery/future-farmers-2001

What in the world? :stare:

e: Even better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqmMexye3zU

I love early-aughts flash-enabled websites with tons of unnecessary animations for everything you click on, that took like 20 seconds to load every time.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 10, 2022

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

King Vidiot posted:

I love early-aughts flash-enabled websites with tons of unnecessary animations for everything you click on, that took like 20 seconds to load every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvxLTN2j8ME

I don't think most of us will ever forget them.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Got my copy of the vinyl soundtrack and put it on and my wife went “hell yeah is this dad bod” when I reached side c. mission accomplished

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hey woah what's the Hypnospace thread doing on the front pa

The_Doctor posted:

The future of Hypnospace... is soon.

Tune in to Hypnospace Next on April 5, to discover what's next for the Hypnospace universe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufMl2DlWX7w

OHHHHHHH MY

I am disgustingly excited. Played through HS three times and I've got them to thank for following Hot Dad and Dan Warren (Barnaby's Chair). I'll basically buy anything following it from this point on

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/Zane_Rocks_36/status/1516739926750076934?t=y0M6KWd8_M7rF54BaTyBBQ&s=19

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I need more Zared. I listen to that EP way more than I probably should

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tombot posted:

Slayers X seems to be going for a very untouched genre in the modern retro shooter renescience: "Dodgy looking early 3D first-person shooters that you saw on store shelves that you looked at the back of the box of, but never actually bought and sometimes wondered about years later". In particular it makes me think of this old adventure game where you thwart a conspiracy that involves weird machines hidden in couches; I can't for the life of me remember what it is called or find it on google.

Normality?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Ahh yeah, Normality is brought up a lot. Probably because of Zane's room looking kinda like the bedroom from that game + the 'tude + the pre-rendered stuff.

also Nintendo Power interviewed Zane here: https://www.nintendolife.com/features/an-interview-with-zanerocks36-the-cool-dude-behind-doom-style-shooter-slayers-x

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gaspy Conana posted:

I see these games more as a vehicle for the the characters who populate the world and the mundane alternate-history things they're into. With Hypnospace I guess the hook was "remember this old internet stuff!" but the actual thing that caught folks' attention (and the thing I cared most about) were the characters, the things they make and share, the ways they clash with one another, and how they bump up against the systems they're stuck into.
:yeah: The one remarkable thing that HSO nailed was that it wasn't wacky zany "hey remember da 90s? lol pogs lol" nostalgia-bait, it wasn't a bunch of Family Guy-tier non-sequitor bullshit. It was a genuinely good game that had really unique character and heart to it such that even someone who didn't grow up at the time could still get into it. But it still absolutely captured the spirit of early internet and someone who didn't grow up with that may not quite fully appreciate it but it still stands on it's own.

As someone who started really getting Extremely Online around 1996/7 (which, segway here, I was way too loving young to have been allowed to do that given I was around 10. Kids even younger than that now being given an ipad and being told to go hog-wild letting the internet be used as a baby sitter is almost child-abuse, it was absolutely brain poison then, and it's brain poison now), one of the vibes of the internet around that time was excitement and interest in sharing experiences in a new shared wild west space. People had not yet built-up 90-ft thick hardened steel cynical shells built out of years of abrasion and post-modern cynicism that (innately?) develops over years of interacting with a anonymized shared space of unholy amounts of people in real-time that almost no one in history had ever experienced before. Instead it was one where people often laid bare themselves in various forms, sharing their ice cream recipes, great random information like old timers sharing best rock/fossil hunting sites in rural arizona that's been lost to the sands of time, etc and being excited to give and receive in this new front. Usenet was kind of a shitshow but it was still interesting. The commodification, that everything had to be turned into an advertising space and collect user profiles, wasn't yet a big thing either. There was also a lot of fun jank like how easy it was just to change something like neopets/award?money=91 to money=999999 and just completely break everything and it wasn't Completely Seriously.

The dotcom did a number on a lot of upstart and zanier elements of the time where everyone was throwing anything and everything to the wall (cuecats, hypnospace, whatver) but it hadn't really changed much in the digital sphere yet. More soul-laid-bare places like geocities/angelfire/even usenet started to die, people started to become more jaded, cynical, and reserved resulting from experiences engaging with online and increasing difficulty of being able to express otherwise but there was still some of that; but I would say the end of 90s-internet died around 2003. I can't put my finger on exactly why but it feels about right. Others mentioned but rise of Google consolidating a lot of the web around it, Gmail, MySpace, death of un-monetizable services like IRC/usenet/free pages, etc started around this time and in place started seeing more tech corp consolidation around services that could be monetized.

2003-2008 or so was more gradual changes but kind of all felt about the same. There was no major abrupt break points, ut I would say 2008+ onward was probably the next big shift with the end of the oughts internet with rise of smartphones, sites and websites developing around that, increased commodification and consolidation around big centralized social media and tech corps designed to sling as many ads and collect data as possible, and has pretty much remained even to where we today

I've said it before but I found HSO a rather bittersweet depressing game after the twist happened. It's like you're going back to your old town's stomping grounds after being gone for decades; seeing the hollowed out places you used to hang and visit, wondering whatever happened to Timmy, Zane, X, Y wistfully wondering where they're at with their lives now -- hopefully doing well, do they even remember when we used to make coolpunk jokes??. 'Granny and I used to play by the creek and catch tadpoles and she'd make us ice cream after -- now it's a golf course /That old bowling alley is now a condo plex, not that anyone here now would know that', etc type. It's a mausoleum to a time past and never to be recovered. The era of the excitement of sharing and laying out the soul and feelings in a completely sincere way is over; all we can do is document it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's kind of funny how the best word I can use to describe this weird simulacrum of 90's internet is "genuine."

As an enforcer, you can see some cynical threads behind the scenes, but I really found myself caring about the characters.

Even though it's been a long time since I was a teenager, when I saw Tim's site and the stuff he was getting up to, I could totally imagine my teenage self thinking that T1MAGEDDON was the coolest dude in the world.

Rebe Ruth Pin isn't a real person, but that doesn't stop me from hoping that she got through Y2K alright.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

All of this is spot on. I was barely a teenager during that pre-2003 period, and the internet was a wild place of open honesty. It was overwhelmingly optimistic and I met people off there all the time without incident (usenet groups were good for group meet-ups).

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Xaris posted:

:yeah: The one remarkable thing that HSO nailed was that it wasn't wacky zany "hey remember da 90s? lol pogs lol" nostalgia-bait, it wasn't a bunch of Family Guy-tier non-sequitor bullshit. It was a genuinely good game that had really unique character and heart to it such that even someone who didn't grow up at the time could still get into it. But it still absolutely captured the spirit of early internet and someone who didn't grow up with that may not quite fully appreciate it but it still stands on it's own.

As someone who started really getting Extremely Online around 1996/7 (which, segway here, I was way too loving young to have been allowed to do that given I was around 10. Kids even younger than that now being given an ipad and being told to go hog-wild letting the internet be used as a baby sitter is almost child-abuse, it was absolutely brain poison then, and it's brain poison now), one of the vibes of the internet around that time was excitement and interest in sharing experiences in a new shared wild west space. People had not yet built-up 90-ft thick hardened steel cynical shells built out of years of abrasion and post-modern cynicism that (innately?) develops over years of interacting with a anonymized shared space of unholy amounts of people in real-time that almost no one in history had ever experienced before. Instead it was one where people often laid bare themselves in various forms, sharing their ice cream recipes, great random information like old timers sharing best rock/fossil hunting sites in rural arizona that's been lost to the sands of time, etc and being excited to give and receive in this new front. Usenet was kind of a shitshow but it was still interesting. The commodification, that everything had to be turned into an advertising space and collect user profiles, wasn't yet a big thing either. There was also a lot of fun jank like how easy it was just to change something like neopets/award?money=91 to money=999999 and just completely break everything and it wasn't Completely Seriously.

The dotcom did a number on a lot of upstart and zanier elements of the time where everyone was throwing anything and everything to the wall (cuecats, hypnospace, whatver) but it hadn't really changed much in the digital sphere yet. More soul-laid-bare places like geocities/angelfire/even usenet started to die, people started to become more jaded, cynical, and reserved resulting from experiences engaging with online and increasing difficulty of being able to express otherwise but there was still some of that; but I would say the end of 90s-internet died around 2003. I can't put my finger on exactly why but it feels about right. Others mentioned but rise of Google consolidating a lot of the web around it, Gmail, MySpace, death of un-monetizable services like IRC/usenet/free pages, etc started around this time and in place started seeing more tech corp consolidation around services that could be monetized.

2003-2008 or so was more gradual changes but kind of all felt about the same. There was no major abrupt break points, ut I would say 2008+ onward was probably the next big shift with the end of the oughts internet with rise of smartphones, sites and websites developing around that, increased commodification and consolidation around big centralized social media and tech corps designed to sling as many ads and collect data as possible, and has pretty much remained even to where we today

I've said it before but I found HSO a rather bittersweet depressing game after the twist happened. It's like you're going back to your old town's stomping grounds after being gone for decades; seeing the hollowed out places you used to hang and visit, wondering whatever happened to Timmy, Zane, X, Y wistfully wondering where they're at with their lives now -- hopefully doing well, do they even remember when we used to make coolpunk jokes??. 'Granny and I used to play by the creek and catch tadpoles and she'd make us ice cream after -- now it's a golf course /That old bowling alley is now a condo plex, not that anyone here now would know that', etc type. It's a mausoleum to a time past and never to be recovered. The era of the excitement of sharing and laying out the soul and feelings in a completely sincere way is over; all we can do is document it.

The way I describe HSO to friends is that it's my version of the modern "classic" boomer diner, with chrome and red neon and coca cola signs and checkered floors. It's a thermonuclear nostalgia bomb that feels right, even if the sum of the parts never really existed.

I know the Millenium Anthem, as used in HSO, is about Rebe Ruth Pin's family/church being let down by the failed Y2K apocalypse, but to me it's always resonated differently. As a kid who came of age in the 90s watching Computer Chronicles and Next Step and Beyond 2000, watching the promise of the old, weird, "heart laid bare" internet as you call it turn into today's homogenized, hypercapitalist, algorithmic content pipe has been kind of depressing. So for me, the year 2000 and beyond have let me down. I think HSO perfectly recreates that idealized weird internet time that maybe never even really existed how I "remember" it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ALFbrot posted:

I think HSO perfectly recreates that idealized weird internet time that maybe never even really existed how I "remember" it.
yeah that's a good way to put it. I agree it may have never actually existed it as I remembered it, much in the way boomer diner nostalgia probably didn't either; and after all, I hadn't even hit puberty yet when I was posting on IRC and other zelda/n64 gaming sites/forums. But it's a nice thought to think it once did and I like to think there was more sincerity and excitement in sharing a new space than there is now.

In any case, HSO definitely captured what I, imaginary or otherwise, think of what I picture 90s-internet.

This is probably more my headcanon imagination, but one thing I also liked about HSO was that the 'Mindcrash' wasn't just what it was itself: it also represented a fundamental crash in the collective internet psyche. I doubt that was intentional though.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 25, 2022

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you like time capsules of the Internet, there's an old text adventure called Cosmoserve which has some typing to walk around and do things but is largely played in a simulated DOS prompt and quasi-Compuserve interface. You can play it in your browser (is there even an Adventure Game Toolkit implementation for 64-bit computers?) here. It's a bit futuristic, with the last bit played in a VR suit, but the rest is very how it was.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Normality?

Yes! That's exactly the game I was trying to think of. You can probably see why too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xaris posted:

One of my pet peeves is that 'nostalgia' has been shifted from "a bittersweet homesickness for a time that's gone and won't return" to "childhood familiarity".

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The future of Hypnospace... is soon.

Tune in to Hypnospace Next on April 5, to discover what's next for the Hypnospace universe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufMl2DlWX7w

Holy poo poo, holy poo poo. I was not expecting a revenge arc, and it would be extremely justified since I purposefully didn't ban the guy since reporting hime was a reliable source of hypnobucks making me personally responsible for what happened to him.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Slayes X demo is out, drat I feel awesome after running through it. 2/5 on secrets, will have to go through once more to see if I can find em

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

beggar posted:

Slayes X demo is out, drat I feel awesome after running through it. 2/5 on secrets, will have to go through once more to see if I can find em

Oh poo poo, thanks for the heads up!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Here's the link! The demo will be up until Monday! https://t.co/OOHvRMdoVm

Little intro video here: https://twitter.com/Zane_Rocks_36/status/1536838473411399686

We also just updated it with new features/adjustments/fixes so if you played earlier in the week give it another shot. :)

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
very excited for these. Not really expecting dreamsettler till 2024 but i can't wait to get my hands on Slayers X.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

We just need confidence and patience

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Ready to Shave is going on my wedding playlist and nobody can stop me

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'd give my left leg to see that

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Chowder man ended up in the playlist at a friend's wedding, the music started pretty normal but as the night went on, it trended towards the weird.

gay baby jail
Jul 24, 2022
I played ready to shave at my wedding reception. no regrets

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftEz-m0kEWA

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I played this game roughly a year ago on the xbox and never knew it was a goon game and had so much love here. It did take me wayyyyyy back and I hope to see more "early internet" video games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gaspy Conana posted:

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Here's the link! The demo will be up until Monday! https://t.co/OOHvRMdoVm

Little intro video here: https://twitter.com/Zane_Rocks_36/status/1536838473411399686

We also just updated it with new features/adjustments/fixes so if you played earlier in the week give it another shot. :)

gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Hope it's okay to bump this, surprised no one's mentioned yet that Slayers X is coming out June 1st. It is still perfect. :allears:

Also I swore there was a This Profile Is Protected By Beef Shield Pro gang tag but I must be misremembering. That would be neat.