Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

With how much I got attached to the different characters and websites, I kind of wish there was a page or board just full of character resolutions, so you can read up on all the different people and what they ended up doing with their lives. What happened to Ruth? Did Sarah ever divorce Gill like he rightfull deserves (or did Gill end up becoming less of a total doofus)? Re3koning? Did Corey ever stop being a sentient fedora?

I think it's a very small grievance on top of a very, very good game though. I can't recommend it enough to everyone I know.

I thought the ending was going to be you going and reading everyone's facebook pages to see what happened to them :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Zared is extremely good

also I teared up at the ending, the drat song combined with the apologies, and outlaw closing itself since it was just redesigned to be FOR those apologies, god, what a punch in the gut

Jen X fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 24, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Game footage with Tamara's music gets copyright claimed on Youtube. Was her music and likeness used without her permission?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Stickied because this game looks like it owns.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Game footage with Tamara's music gets copyright claimed on Youtube. Was her music and likeness used without her permission?

Yeah I've heard about this, what's the deal?

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Agreed on needing just a tiny bit more ending.

We don't see anyone's reactions to Dylan's confession, and it would be really interesting to get a Where Are They Now bit for more characters. Someone else here suggested but maybe a new zone could be added to the HAP that connects to whatever this world's facebook is after the confession. Just seeing a couple of updates from some more of the more interesting characters would add a lot. Especially since the corporate facebook template would clash with the messy but creative pages in hypnospace in a way that I think supports a theme.

I'm especially curious about what happened to Tim, Adrian, Chowder Man, the Freelands lot and M1nx.

Game was great. Really funny and inventive, and unexpectedly good at drawing me into the world. I was genuinely invested by the end and I'm still thinking about it a lot several days later.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

dmboogie posted:

...huh.

I've seen that you can get Zane banned, but who the heck else can you inadvertently save? I can't imagine you can ban Tiff, considering how much of Tim''s tragedy is tied into his relationship with her, and the old woman in the nursing home doesn't really have a presence at all. Roddy's literally an employee so no way he's getting banned. Can you ban the motorcycle skeleton guy for Gooper crimes maybe?

I got Carl banned! :unsmith: I think if you wipe out enough Goopers or flag enough Goodtimers he gets set as an example. Tiffany could probably get banned by accident if you flag her account since all the ChitChat harassment violations are technically hers. I was too careful though :smith:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

jjac posted:

I got Carl banned! :unsmith: I think if you wipe out enough Goopers or flag enough Goodtimers he gets set as an example. Tiffany could probably get banned by accident if you flag her account since all the ChitChat harassment violations are technically hers. I was too careful though :smith:

Nah, that's in the second time segment. Neither Zane nor Cory got banned for their first harassment flagging (and Zane just gets a slap on the wrist warning) so even if you do flag her there and the moderation team does punish her, I doubt she'd be banned - and even if there was a way to flag her a second time in the third chapter, the mind crash happens before anyone'd get around to reviewing it. She can't be saved. :smith:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Finished over the weekend, got stuck at the the end as I was $10 short of Pro, and didn't know about janitor (or toolz) until after I went looking for a hint in lieu of restarting. Would have also liked a little bit more, possibly to do with Adrian and presumably the brothers' d-phone empire.

SQUISHERS

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Finally finished it. All I can say is that it was one of the best historical fictions I've ever seen. Though it probably is a little easier to emulate the feel of a time when you've actually lived it. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Postgame spoilers: supposedly people died. Does it ever explain how? The most we learn about Hypnospace’s effects is that you don’t sleep much when your rest is taken up by surfing the internet, but that was already happening.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well Dylan’s programming was lovely enough that the untested beta was enough to fry all the enforcer sets and the y2k update was so bad that it could barely even run, then you have a massive untested patch he dropped directly in that he was rushing to get out before y2k. Then imagine all those glitches running though your brain :v

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Postgame spoilers: supposedly people died. Does it ever explain how? The most we learn about Hypnospace’s effects is that you don’t sleep much when your rest is taken up by surfing the internet, but that was already happening.

We know that Tiff had epilepsy and Hypnospace had been giving her headaches for a while. Abbywrites58 also talked about waking up feeling unrested, but that might have just been because she was so mad about Gooper.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

need a big cropped .gif of COOLPUNK IS DEAD

Felt genuinely bad for Chowder Man

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

Felt genuinely bad for Chowder Man

i want a big ILLEGAL CONTENT gif

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I think I heard the news reports say something about people not waking up in time to take their medication?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FutonForensic posted:

Beekeeping and You posted:

i want a big ILLEGAL CONTENT gif

Good news: All the game assets are entirely unencrypted so it's easy if you want to take the effort to dig through the piles. Gifs are stored as individual frames, but that's easy enough to stitch together.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Well Dylan’s programming was lovely enough that the untested beta was enough to fry all the enforcer sets and the y2k update was so bad that it could barely even run, then you have a massive untested patch he dropped directly in that he was rushing to get out before y2k. Then imagine all those glitches running though your brain :v

Beekeeping and You posted:

We know that Tiff had epilepsy and Hypnospace had been giving her headaches for a while. Abbywrites58 also talked about waking up feeling unrested, but that might have just been because she was so mad about Gooper.

dmboogie posted:

I think I heard the news reports say something about people not waking up in time to take their medication?

Hmmmm. My initial guess was that it ruined the ability for those people to sleep at all, so they died of sleep deprivation within the week. That’s a lot more morbid than other assumptions, I guess. I suppose the most obvious alternative is Matrix/Butterfly Effect-style brainshock :shrug: I just assumed that the health effects were supposed to hint at what happened to Mindcrashed people, but really, it looks like there’s no real hints at all besides that medication line.

I think the most important thing we know is that the Mindcrash hit relatively many people, but only killed 4~6 of them. So there was nothing inherently fatal about it...what the hell happened?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pollyanna posted:

Hmmmm. My initial guess was that it ruined the ability for those people to sleep at all, so they died of sleep deprivation within the week. That’s a lot more morbid than other assumptions, I guess. I suppose the most obvious alternative is Matrix/Butterfly Effect-style brainshock :shrug: I just assumed that the health effects were supposed to hint at what happened to Mindcrashed people, but really, it looks like there’s no real hints at all besides that medication line.

I think the most important thing we know is that the Mindcrash hit relatively many people, but only killed 4~6 of them. So there was nothing inherently fatal about it...what the hell happened?

I think Tiff is the key there. Epilepsy may show up late in life or not at all until the brain registers a trigger for a seizure. It could just be that they were all epileptic, and while having a seizure isn't inherently fatal, the fact that this took place during the twilight hours when nobody would have been awake/around to call paramedics... depending on the severity of the seizure, you can do things like literally choking to death on your own tongue and the like. Add in the mental strain from sleep deprivation and it makes sense that it could have happened. The Pokemon incident hit hundreds of thousands, but only 150ish had to be hospitalized and only two were extended stays. It's entirely possible the small number of fatalities lines up with those figures.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Pollyanna posted:

The brain is extremely complex, we don't understand it very well now, and we certainly didn't back in the 90s. Which means it's probably an awful idea to subject it to Dylan Merchant's rushed, janky and untested code.

I'd guess the reason why only 4-6 people died would be that either their brains were more vulnerable than the rest in some way (say, Tiff's epilepsy, but there could be otherwise benign and unnoticed reasons in others) or the effects of the crash were different depending on what the user/headband was doing at the time, and a certain combination created a fatal effect

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

I think Tiff is the key there. Epilepsy may show up late in life or not at all until the brain registers a trigger for a seizure. It could just be that they were all epileptic, and while having a seizure isn't inherently fatal, the fact that this took place during the twilight hours when nobody would have been awake/around to call paramedics... depending on the severity of the seizure, you can do things like literally choking to death on your own tongue and the like. Add in the mental strain from sleep deprivation and it makes sense that it could have happened. The Pokemon incident hit hundreds of thousands, but only 150ish had to be hospitalized and only two were extended stays. It's entirely possible the small number of fatalities lines up with those figures.

There's also the fact that Dylan intentionally made sure you couldn't log out, because he wanted to make sure it installed all the way. Canonically, I don't think there's any way to hold the power button and exit without logging out. I'd love if someone could prove me wrong.

...I had a friend who actually alt+f4ed during the mindcrash segment and broke his game, he had to put in console commands to fix it since he was trapped on 1.1.2000. In his defense, Hypii does tell you to log out.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 25, 2019

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

KataraniSword posted:

Good news: All the game assets are entirely unencrypted so it's easy if you want to take the effort to dig through the piles. Gifs are stored as individual frames, but that's easy enough to stitch together.

Digging through, I have learned that the Festering Orifice has a reason to be called that.

It's either modified off of goatse or a very impressive imitation. :golfclap:

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

GeneX posted:

Zared is extremely good

also I teared up at the ending, the drat song combined with the apologies, and outlaw closing itself since it was just redesigned to be FOR those apologies, god, what a punch in the gut

I kind of took the wind out of the ending by finding it early by searching for Dylan's name in HAP before I had really found much of the damning evidence. Apparently dude already had a confession ready to go as soon as he got back in.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Long live the Chowder Man.

Edit: :stare:Holy poo poo I was joking but then I got to the timeskip

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 25, 2019

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I hope you guys enjoyed my cameo :toot:

-tiff

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Caitlin posted:

-tiff

:rip:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

The upside is that the real me doesn't have epilepsy, so that's something!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Caitlin posted:

-tiff

Sure did, especially when you died, at which point I really enjoyed it, though only for the major pathos invoked, hahaha

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
I want to to know more about Tall Green, show me the Tall Green suit. It's wild as gently caress thinking about going through the effort of making a costume for a 2 second gif on the Tall Green page

Tardcore fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 26, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'd be surprised if there was a suit. The clip is so low-res and short they probably just dumped in a quick 3D render, and the monster pixels and macroblocking cover everything up.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

SardonicTyrant posted:

Long live the Chowder Man.

The Chowder Man lives forever in the freelands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAwVTXrPDW0

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

What is bwl supposed to mean? Bawling with laughter? Bursting with laughter?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The latter.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

CheeseSpawn posted:

The Chowder Man lives forever in the freelands.

I stamped that guy's page but he never continued the Ready to Shave analysis.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

I NEED one of these as an avatar.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm glad you're all enjoying the game. We just got back from GDC and are now patching up a few bugs and adding some content I couldn't stick in by launch.

BattleMaster posted:

This was a bit disappointing because the track was from here: https://archive.org/details/IChoose
It's listed there as public domain, but I guess she also uploaded it to some TuneCore-esque music distributor, and most of them have ContentID active by default.

I did attempt to reach the person but didn't get a reply, so I'm in the process of recording some new Tamara content with the girl who voiced the spoken word Coolpunk track.

Popoi posted:

I kind of took the wind out of the ending by finding it early by searching for Dylan's name in HAP before I had really found much of the damning evidence. Apparently dude already had a confession ready to go as soon as he got back in.

Oops! Patching this out too. :P

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 26, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I finally have closure on the Tamara thing, thank u

Also the game was good.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm glad you're all enjoying the game. We just got back from GDC and are now patching up a few bugs and adding some content I couldn't stick in by launch.

This was a bit disappointing because the track was from here: https://archive.org/details/IChoose
It's listed there as public domain, but I guess she also uploaded it to some TuneCore-esque music distributor, and most of them have ContentID active by default.

I did attempt to reach the person but didn't get a reply, so I'm in the process of recording some new Tamara content with the girl who voiced the spoken word Coolpunk track.

Oops! Patching this out too. :P

Dude this game is really good Also you should make it so if you alt+f4 during the mindcrash cutscene, it doesn't trap you on 1.1.2000 forever :P My friend was a little upset that he followed Hypii's instructions and got "punished" for it

Seriously, though, this might be GOTY for me. Every bit of it seems carefully thought-out. It makes me want to show it to everyone I know.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 26, 2019

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?
Goddamn I'd already known of this game for months thanks to some article I found and then kind of lost track of it in spite of my interest until it dropped and now I finally played it I've been obssesed with it in a big way, there are so many little details and hidden pages that make it fascinating to me, and there's the whole way it constructs a whole world through weird Internet stuff

I tend to be a big lore nerd when it comes to fiction so I find a game that is in many ways based around an expression of that to be a great concept in many ways and I'd love to see the world of Hypnospace explored further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gaspy Conana posted:

Oh hey I knew it was goon-made but didn't know by who. It was honestly a fantastic game and such a nostalgia trip. Did you do lots of archive.org research? As I mentioned before, I think you really loving nailed that 90s sort of naive optimism and bubble community feeling that, for understandable reasons, is pretty much dead, but I also kinda miss.

Also did you set it in 1999 to capture that sort of new millenium/y2k aspect? I think it worked, but the world felt like it was more 1996 or something, because by 1999 it really was the era of 3d graphics with unreal 99, quake 3, and sort of the start of "web 2.0" and was quite a bit different than even a year or two prior, but some of the remnants still there if you looked. But I understand the artistic and story reasons.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 27, 2019