Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Techmoan - Middle-aged British guy who reviews oddball/obsolete audio and video formats. He started out reviewing what he calls "action cams" but has since moved on. He's just a regular guy who likes weird tech.

Explaining Computers - Another UK guy who, well, explains computers. Specializes in single-board computers. Talks...like...this.

Constantine Isslamow - Does bass covers. Seems like a cool dude.

Sina-drums - Young woman from Germany. Aspiring drummer who does killer covers.

OldCarMemories - Reviews old American cars. Low-key presentation featuring photo collages versus video. No onscreen host. Just gets right to the facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Look Mum No Computer guy just made a synth out of a Sega Mega Drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0kq0yCTpNE

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Birb - short (rarely more than a minute) clips of cute birds doing cute things. All clips posted with owner’s permission.

OvO

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I recently found Physics Videos by Eugene Khutoryansky, they explain physics and stuff.
It has a very unique style for animations. Not too much videos, but I really enjoy the ones about electricity. Well, the best one is about the delayed choice quantum eraser, that's how I found the channel.

Later I stumbled on Fermilab. Also a lot of stuff about physics.

Curious Droid makes some cool videos. Mostly talking about rockets, space and other very cool things.

If you love stuff that is really fascinating and awesome, but doesn't teach you much about real life these are all great.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The US Chemical Safety & Hazard Investigation Board channel is goddamned fascinating if you're into OSHA-type stuff. It recaps USCSB investigations of major chemical accidents, including animations of how the accidents occurred and the USCSB's findings, along with other informational safety videos.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

rockinricky posted:

Look Mum No Computer guy just made a synth out of a Sega Mega Drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0kq0yCTpNE

Quoting myself to say that he's just made it polyphonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-02iH6l308

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
The kids of the O'Keefe Music Foundation nail it AGAIN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQIw5SBd6pw

bort
Mar 13, 2003

There are these things on the internet called "cat videos" now.

I love this particular channel, Walter Santi.

It's a Turkish dude who lives with his dad, and he has a colony of semi-feral cats that live outside his house. He tells little stories about them that are pleasant and funny, and has done a bunch of heartwarming rescue work. If you need a little :3: in your life, this one is a good few hours.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Bedtime Stories is a good channel if you like creepy stuff, they cover all kinds of things (as their intro explains). I like it because, beyond the normal stuff like Dyatlov Pass and stuff like that, they go into stories I hadn't heard of before. The narrator does a good job of riding the line between credulity and skepticism, although a few of the videos are intentionally silly (usually around the holidays).

The art-work is very good too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Townsends: 18th century cooking using period techniques, while also providing instructions on how to cook everything using a modern kitchen.

Townsends loving rules, I came to this thread to post his stuff if it wasn’t here already. I really dig his salt pork and hard tack episodes and plan on making some soon.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Goobertown Hobbies

I don’t even play warhammer or other tabletop games, but it’s oddly relaxing to watch this ultra nerd paint little goblins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUUSDHg8gxw

Gates Wildlife Control

Polite Canadians get raccoons out of your attic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDTcf56wQPk

Stobe the Hobo

Stobe travels the US on the back of trains, looking for liquor and gas station pizza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG_nGJPEW8Q

He ultimately gets dragged to his death under a train https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/stobe-the-hobo-dath/

Gas Station Encounters

Video of people stealing from a gas station with amusing commentary from the clerk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuYTIfodBAE

Lamech has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Jan 19, 2020

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I just discovered Atun-Shei Films. It's criminally underviewed for how good it is.

It's mostly history, focusing on the American Civil War, and particularly how it really was all about slavery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQTJgWkHAwI

But there's other stuff too about movies and drama and theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7O1mnaUB2M

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Pasta Grannies. A woman semi-retires from international development to write about global food cultures and recipes has been on a multi-year mission in Italy and southern Europe to film people (mostly women, but not all) who handmake rare pastas to preserve the methodology and recipes. You will be hungry.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Has anyone mentioned Issac Arthur yet? Apologies if they did.

Science and Futurism with Issac Arthur is an amazingly well put-together channel about science and what is theoretically possible at the moment. He goes over the probabilities of things and isn't afraid to give rough estimates of the maths involved. A lot of these channels either lean heavily on the science part, with complex descriptions of the maths, or too heavily on the fiction/futurism part, with pure speculation. He provides content that is well-grounded and you're pretty much guaranteed to learn something, even if it is just a new perspective, by listening to him.

He has an amazing video on talking to aliens, how aliens could feasibly decode our radio signals, that covers the topic in such depth and with such insight it was astonishing when I first listened to it. He goes over feasible communication methods that are likely to arise, and a lot of other things.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Oh, he's been mentioned before. Ok! I spelled his name wrong when I looked for him in the thread >.>"

In that case I recommend:

Huggbees -- He makes very funny, fake dubs of the "How They Do It" videos.

The Cosmonaut Variety Hour -- He makes good film criticism, often intersecting with funny content.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Who the hell needs cable when you have hyper specific content creators?

Defunctland - Some dude details the history of numerous theme parks and rides. Has a long running ongoing series of Walt getting his whole thing up and running, but also details specific parks, rides, and other tangential parts of the (US) theme park industry. Also does occasional videos about old kids shows from time to time. Well produced and put together.

Hitting trees with sticks - Does what it says on the tin. Extremely on brand.

Joseph “Joey Jo Jo” Anderson - Remember that Plinkett review that was longer than the movie it was reviewing? This crazy son of a bitch recently put up a 4 hour review of the Witcher game. No, not that one. The first one. It’s part 1.

FLEB - Some dude talks about and reviews puzzles and puzzle games from across the world. Sort of fell off the face of the earth, but the catalogue is worth looking through.

Luetin09 - Some dude does deep dives on 40k lore. Good stuff if you have a passing interest in the universe but don’t actually want to read the books or spend millions of dollars on figures.

Odd Tinkering - Some German dude fixes and restores stuff. No music, no talking. Just tools, the process, and occasional goofy jokes.

Practical Engineering - Some dude teaches you applied engineering concepts as a means to continue his pipe construction fetish.

Summoming Salt - Some dude talks about the speed running history for a given game.

Technology Connections - Man with the world’s best/worst jacket blazer thing talks about bits and pieces of tech and does the research legwork on the subject matter. Has an 18 minute video on traffic lights that I’ve never been able to watch through without falling asleep and I mean this as the highest possible compliment.

Dan Bell/Dead Malls - Some dude visits and walks around old malls that haven’t had fully populated storefronts since the 70s/80s/90s. Fascinating in a “American consumerism cultural cosmic horror” sort of way. Occasionally does a bit of urbex for the REALLY dead malls.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Plasmo - building and painting plastic model kits and dioramas, mostly real world cars and planes and tanks and other not-40k-grimdark things.
VeTiVeR - shoe cleaning and restoration.
Omri Cohen - If you've ever been interested in modular synthesis but don't have a few thousand dollars to set on fire, this channel and a free copy of VCV Rack will keep you busy.
PotatoMcWhiskey - strategy game Lets Plays, mostly Civ6.
StewMac - these guys make the best tools for luthiers and have a bunch of good and interesting videos about guitar building and repair.
Astartes - extremely high quality 40k Space Marine series made by one guy over a period of a year or two. Would be nice if GW could stop being a terrible company for a bit and hire this guy to make more episodes.
Asteria - another 40k animated fan project with potential, but not much content yet.
Titans of CNC - machining (especially CNC milling) videos featuring some fuckoff big machines doing cool stuff.
Saxsquatch - I dunno, it makes me laugh

These two are probably so obvious as to not be worth mentioning but I don't remember seeing them upthread so just in case:
GDQ - the official Games Done Quick speedrun conference channel
Girlfriend Reviews - a couple plays games and "reviews" them in a not at all rigorous way. It's a little reddit meme-y but I find them charming.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Crime Pays But Botany Doesn't - Misanthropic Chicago-accented botanist takes you on meandering walks and goes in depth on plants, geology, evolution. Often in California but he's done trips in Chile, Australia, Mexico and does awesome stuff with vigilante gardening. Uncanny at plant identification. Hilarious, bawdy and fascinating.

Charles Cornell - Talented pianist did lots of “zappafying” of meme content and went viral with Cardi B memes a while ago. Recently has started going into interesting music theory and musical analysis, which is very accessible and cool.

My Mate VINCE - British guy attempts repairs, usually successfully. Often game consoles or controllers, but can be circuit boards, monitors, washing machines, dishwashers, and robotic vacuums. Very good at talking over his thought process and sometimes fails miserably. Courageous with solder and a multimeter.

PAPA Pinball - Top pinball player does tutorials on how to play many, many tables.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Decino does Doom let's plays and videos about how various things work in Doom.

Dominic Noble compares books to their film adaptations.

Fredrik Knudsen makes documentaries about weird people.

Oxventure is a humorous actual play D&D series.

PushingUpRoses does reviews of Goosebumps and Murder, She Wrote episodes and also adventure games and other stuff.

Scaredy Cats reviews horror movies.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey thanks for the recs. I have none right now but I'm enjoying watching cool/informative stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
History

How to Make Everything
A dweeb starting with no relevant skills makes everything from scratch. As in, when he wants to make a sandwich, he plants the seeds, grows the wheat, makes tools to thresh and grind the wheat, creates the flour, and then makes a stone-age oven to bake it. Now he's working his way through the history of civilization, starting at the stone age and making each tool he'll need to get to the next.

Clickspring
The Antikythera Mechanism is an ancient Greek "computer" which when discovered completely changed our understanding of ancient technology. Using only tools that would have been available to the ancient Greeks, a modern day engineer carefully and expertly crafts an exact replica of the mechanism. It's basically visual ASMR.

Invicta
Ancient history documentaries, mainly focusing on law, warfare, culture, and society.

Mustard
Incredibly well-made documentaries on all the weird and interesting airplanes, trains, and ships of our past.

Wendover Productions
Documentaries about how our world works, from engineering to travel to economics to geography.

Stefan Milo
If you're interested in the history of human evolution and our ancient ancestors, Stefan uses the latest science to give us a glimpse into where we came from and how we survived long before civilization began.

Science and Technology

Two Minute Papers
A computer graphics researcher breaks down the latest in cutting-edge computer graphics research for the layman. In these quick, informative, and wildly fascinating videos you'll see the state-of-the-art in what computers can simulate, anything from video and audio deepfakes to neural networks creating 3D models from 2D videos to human face synthesis to AI tools that take basic sketches and make photoreal landscapes.

Atlas Pro
The history of geography and geology across our world and across time.

Isaac Arthur
Long and in-depth videos on futurist topics, from Dyson Spheres to AI-enhanced cybernetics to consciousness uploading to post-galactic civilization.

Life in Jars?
A man in Amsterdam goes to local water sources, scoops up some water, mud, and plans, and makes self-contained ecosystems from what's inside. He then documents them and provides updates on all the surprising life that's found in just a few scoopfuls of dirt and water. Definitely the most rough-around-the-edges channel on here, but nevertheless interesting.

North 02
Paleontology and ancient history, mostly focusing on fascinating ancient animals but also ancient humans and our ancestors.

Trey the Explainer
Cryptozoology, paleontology, and zoology. Engaging breakdowns on the history of various cryptids from the Loch Ness Monster and the Mothman to a look at the monsters of the bible.

Art and Entertainment

Baumgartner Restoration
A painting conservation master walks you step-by-step through the process of how he restores old and damaged paintings. Even if this doesn't sound like your thing, I encourage you to give it a shot. The videos are incredibly interesting and hypnotic. If you ever liked Bob Ross, this is for you.

Pics an Portraits
A look at the last century through the lens of obscure media, including breakdowns of retro-futurism and propaganda, as well as a hypnotic series called Sleepcore that splices together thematically-similar topics into bizarre and nostalgia-fueled background noise for insomia.

Defunctland
Theme park and entertainment history, with videos from the history of the 1964 New York World's Fair to a documentary series on the history of Jim Henson's career and influence.

EC Henry
Some real fuckin' nerd poo poo focusing mostly on the little weird corners of Star Trek, Star Wars, and other similar series. He'll break down exactly how accurate Stormtroopers aiming is (very!) and how the use of spray bottles in the original Star Trek series was actually advanced technology at the time.

Junkball
More nerd poo poo. If you like digging into the history and lore of Star Trek, this is your guy. He's a great editor with a terrific sense of humor, and uses both to create videos about the history of all the different starships in the Trek universe as well as other nuances of the franchise's history.

Neon Harbor
Highlighting the outrageous unofficial foreign remakes of Hollywood movies. Did you know that there was a Turkish Star Trek remake? An Italian James Bond ripoff? An Indonesian Rambo remake? A Russian Commando remake? A Bollywood Evil Dead remake? And plenty more.

Video Games

AI and Games
An AI researcher breaks down the artificial intelligence used in the popular video games of the day.

Game Maker's Toolkit
A deep dive into game design, level design, game production, and more. A highlight is his video series called Boss Keys where he breaks down what successful dungeon design looks like in Zelda, Metroid, and more.

Design Doc
Interesting and well-made videos breaking down the nuances of video game design.

Ahoy
Incredibly well done in-depth video game documentaries, from series like Monkey Island to the urban-legend of Polybius.

Gaming Historian
Well-crafted documentaries about particular games and accessories, such as Mario Paint or the Super Gameboy or the origin of the D-Pad.

Retronauts Video Works
An in-depth and well-made exploration of the Game Boy, NES, and SNES catalogs.

Summoning Salt
The history of speedruns of various retro video games. It's much more fascinating than you'd think to see how people have found secrets, glitches, and developed new techniques over time to beat games as quickly as possible.

Splash Wave
Breakdowns of the development history of your favorite video game series, as well as documentaries on the history of video game graphics.

Video Game Animation Study
Right there in the name—detailed breakdowns of the fundamentals of video game animation, as well as highlighting examples of particular games which do an exceptional job in one or more areas.

Apologies for any repeats that are already in the thread!

feedmyleg has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Aug 13, 2020

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Oxventure is a humorous actual play D&D series.
Corazon, oh Corazon
Look to the horizon
Look to the sea
And there you will see
His ship on the sea
With Johnny and me
And the other three
And Egbert.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

feedmyleg posted:

Baumgartner Restoration
A painting conservation master walks you step-by-step through the process of how he restores old and damaged paintings. Even if this doesn't sound like your thing, I encourage you to give it a shot. The videos are incredibly interesting and hypnotic. If you ever liked Bob Ross, this is for you.

Thank you so much for this. I intended to only watch 5m and check out other videos, and by the time I looked up thirty minutes had passed. I don't regret that at all because it was so relaxing and interesting!!

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I think Sam Battle (LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER) has gone quarantine crazy.

Just look what he's done to a ColecoVision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVEqYtKGKEM

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A lot of my favorites are already posted. Overly Sarcastic Productions, PushingUpRoses, LGR, Jenny Nicholson and Brendan Tenold are among my most favorites and will always watch their new content as soon as I can.

Tenold is great because he is Canadian and lets that shine with lots of jokes us only us hosers would get.

Jenny is fantastic and I could listen to her talk about anything because she has this awkwardness to her videos and manner of speaking but its clear that its just a character because she will say really profound stuff in them. Like her Brony history when she talks about how hypersexualzied the community became and said "Many men are unable to enjoy something feminine without sexualizing it". Also if you hear her talk in anything else, you can hear her normal speaking voice and she sounds like a woman in their late 20s. Apparently she's an established comedy writer too?

I started watching PushingUpRoses for her old Adventure Games reviews and such, but I've loved how she's taken the channel in a different direction and its really working well for her. I also love how she ties her love of stuff with her personal history and how meaningful it is for her. Also be nice to birbs.

OSP is really great for their deep dives into history and literature. It too me a while to watch the Trope Talk vids because I hate that word but they're great in breaking stuff down and using known pop culture stuff to help explain more complex concepts in writing. I also really love Red's voice, she's really good as doing voice over. Blue's history stuff is fantastic as well and his knowlage of the Classical period really shows through in his vids. I always crack up in the History of Malta vid when he shows a Hospitalar saying "Dues Volt, and vaccinate your kids!"

LGR is just like, some nerd who loves old PC games and hardware, and loves talking about them. It's just a comfortable channel with his dulcet tones going on about how awesome woodgrain is and talking about weird tech that everyone forgot about.

Some channels I love that haven't been mentioned

Shut Up Sit Down
Probably the best Board game review youtube channel. Cheeky brits talking about games to play with your friends (remember that?) and giving honest opinions about them. They will talk about the good and bad in games, never sugar coating it to appeal to an audience. I've added so many games to by must buy from their channel. The only review I do not agree with is the Scythe one because the reviewer barely talks about the game, and just complains on how many pieces that come in it, when Scythe is pretty low on that scale.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyRhIGDUKdIOw07Pd8pHxCw

Neebs Gaming
A bunch of guys from the South (I think North Carolina?) that game together. Most of their vids are long running series playing survival crafting games like Ark, Conan Exiles, 7 Days to Die and Mincraft, but they have stuff on scrap mechanic, subnautica and others. They started as a Battlefield channel so they've got some old vids on that, I liked their play of the week vids from battlefield 1. Warning, their language isn't the best, they did tend to drop the R word a fair bit, but they're getting better, and they've straight up said they try to break themselves of stuff like that, because hey, that word and many others like it were totally cool and good to say up until recently.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiufyZv8iRPTafTw0D4CvnQ

Snipe and Wib
A wonderfil british couple (though Snipe is from Australia) that loves warhammer and does videos together on it. Their flagship series is Codex Compliant where they look back at old GW books and talk about them, with some good joke-em-ups in them. Highly recommend the one on Warhammer Records (yes Games Workshop released a Saxon album).
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEKAMKfJhS0mKiHrrrvQEzA

Quinton Reviews
He loves Garfield. He also does (did?) a series called Fallen Titans which looked at internet people who were popular and successful but fell off. I discovered him when the whole Channel Awesome thing was blowing up and was looking for an explanation. His recent videos on the decline of the history channel are fantastic, especially the Bad Nazi documentaries one.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM0V8r4kuIWIl6Sy-NHj2lg

Star Wars Explained
A couple who loves star wars, but not blindly. They do stay positive, but if somethings bad they will say its bad, but won't be so whiny like a lot of Star Wars youtubers tend to get.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIKlsX1qfGqKPt4KAW-JOZg

Matt McMuscles
Video games, flag ship series is What Happund??? where he looks into big time flops and why they did flop. Fair, looks into the whole picture, and gives really good analsys. Also does general lets plays that are always a good watch. You may have heard him on Talking Simpsons podcast.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiP_FwGyJQ_6P8k5ON5mncQ

Renegade Cut
Leftist media criticism. Absolutely fantastic and gets really in depth of our problems by using popular media. Older vids have more standard reviews with in depth discussion of the message of it. If you have time, watch his video on Left Behind. Loves Disco Elysium.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9infsKo33_2LUoiqXGgQWg

The Templin Insitute
Videos about fictional people, places and things. Each vid is done in universe so there is a strong story in each one. They also have vids talking about stuff like what makes a good flag, bad flags in sci-fi and a great one about how the dystopian government in the Hunger Games is really, really terrible. They lost their origonal voice, and the new guy isn't bad, just not the same as Larissa.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpqCsO-fb2_OzVxm7J9MslA

Vaatividya
Dark Souls lore. I mean that's it, Soulsborne videos for ages, but well researched and presented.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0DNp0mKMqrYVaTundyr9w

Steve Shives
Star Trek discussions with a leftist lean. Some really good discussions about things in Star Trek, like is Janeway actually good or who is the most reckless time traveller in trek (spoiler, its Janeway)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4qMoFPUEzSn4CurFLJkIQ

Spacedock
You a nerd about space ships? Me too, and this it the channel for you
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfjaAUlTZRHJapJmCT6eyIg

History Buffs
Reviews of historical movies based on their historical accuracy. He will say if a movie is great otherwise, but that's not the point of the channel. A movie could be super historically accurate but also super boring and not worth watching, while a movie may be fantastic to watch, but have no baring on historical reality. HATES Mel Gibson historical movies.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCggHoXaj8BQHIiPmOxezeWA

Sarah Z
Leftist and feminist video essays about a number of topics, both political and pop culture. Really great deep dive into Dashcon in her latest video, also she's a trained debater and her video on why Ben Shapiro is not looking for debate is great.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK-GxvzttTnNhq3JPYpXhqg

Red Bard
Videos about anime and otaku/weeb culture. Well researched and committed, like recently remade her video about Yaoi paddles because she had misleading info in the first one. The video about the crazyness of For Kids dubs are hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQuZgTeDkLjVdsO6Ahg9Qjw

Whang!
Has an H because Wang was too dirty for youtube, even though that's his last name. Investigations on internet mysteries. Want to learn the truth about Jar Man? Or Two Girls One Cup? Here's where you go
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3jdnIP2u5hCJpVZ-TuDrCg

Nexpo and Scare Theater
I'd put Night Mind here but that is the gold standard for spooky internet stuff and these a smaller channels I'd like to get more notice to. Both are super similar, and often do videos about the same topics, but their approaches are different enough to warrant checking both out. I love spooky internet stuff though I'm too much of a fraidy cat to actually watch some of this stuff but having someone talk about it over the video helps. Their videos on Local48 are fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFFItkfZz1qz5PpHpqzYBw
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaGOgwGKnDVOKY0DrFsBAiA

Lastly, Laura Legends
Canadian lady toy collector. Specializes in dinosaurs and other stuff akin to that. She has some good top 10 vids on things you used to be able to order from comics. She also has a super best doggo ever and a giant rear end cat
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC66KgFR-sGgUmave2gxGg

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Townsends: Posted before, but they deserve more attention. Old time cooking and technique.

OKI's Weird Stories: Offbeat and quirky tales about very usual events or individuals, like John McAfee, Dan Nainan, Count Dante and Thierry Tilly to name a few. The Uwe Boll episode features the infamous smackdown on Lowtax by a German director.

The Art of Cooking: Seems to lie dormant, but hands down the best channel for learning to cook Chinese food. The creator's family actually owns a 1970's style American Chinese place.

OrsaraRecipes: Hosted by a charming old Italian man who shows you how to cook things from the motherlands and caps off every episode with a glass of red and his catchphrase "cin cin!"

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The Wu Tang Collection
Hundreds of old, often forgotten Chinese martial arts movies uploaded in full to youtube. Has a bunch of playlists to help you find what you're looking for.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Coffee with Cullotta
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPorX7duiF14sXHa8Vqd3Tg

Frank Cullotta was a real life mob guy who consulted and starred in Casino but was also a Federal Witness and a buncha other stuff.
He's just an old mob guy telling stories

Frank contracted Covid and died Aug 20th

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nevermind

Mr Ice Cream Glove has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Sep 17, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:yikes: :can:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I did not realize she was a can of worms, will delete

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Most of my favorites are already listed, but I didn't see Two Minutes to Late Night: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Cmvvc9ZmyQ412RzXhYoEg

It deserves way more views than it has. It's a late-night show metal/hard rock spoof and they have some cool guests and do really awesome covers, mostly of 80's rock but some unexpected stuff too. The cover quality in particular is bonkers good, and it's genuinely pretty funny and sharp ("What's the Weather at Danzig's House") is my fave. It just popped up for me a few weeks ago and I had to sit and watch all of it, like twice in a week. (I even thought about signing up for the Patreon which I've never done.)

So, enough gushing, I have nothing to do with it personally but check it out if that sounds remotely interesting.

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

[insert clever comment here]
Scott Manley is a goon. That has made my day.

My recommendations, I hope you like chess:

Chessbrah

Two Canadian grandmasters live in some kind of chess house and play terrifyingly good chess. High energy with lots of house, techno and trance played. Both are very funny.

GingerGM

British grandmaster, lots of Red Dwarf references, aggressive chess and self deprecating humour. The long play games are very informative for understanding a GMs thought processes.

JohnBartholomew

A calming Minnesotan international master creates educational chess videos.

Start here if you want to learn chess!

RosenChess

International master with a phenomenal opening repertoire. Enjoys checkmating his subscribers in less than 20 moves which is very watchable.

The Atheist Experience

Atheist show, much diminished after Tracie Harris left but her back catalogue is fascinating and still on there.

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

[insert clever comment here]
Townsends is very much in my wheelhouse. Thanks for posting.

Now learning how to make pemmican

:yarr:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Jrose11 does videos about pokemon games. They used to do more varied content like top tens and such, but currently they are in the middle of a series in which they try to do a single-pokemon run (except for HM dudes) for every pokemon in the gen 1 dex. The videos are long-form, well edited, and there's nothing obnoxious about them which can be an issue with channels like this.

For an idea of what it is like I recommend What are the LEAST amount of battles to beat Pokemon Red/Blue with NO ITEMS?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60n7ZP3Cj-4
Living Well With Schizophrenia is an immensely interesting channel. Lauren has all sorts of vids about being someone with schizophrenia, and occasionally her husband Rob comes on and has vids about caring for loved ones with it. Some of the thumbs/titles are a little clickbaity, but the content is sincere and it answers a lot of questions i'd be too self conscious to ask someone living with the illness. Many of the vids (minus this one) can be listened to as Q&A-type vids aren't very visual focused.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Tasting History is similar to Townsends in that he digs up and tries old recipes. Lacks the charming PBSy vibe, but covers a broader range of history

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

Isaac Arthur
Long and in-depth videos on futurist topics, from Dyson Spheres to AI-enhanced cybernetics to consciousness uploading to post-galactic civilization.

I learned about this guy from the thread and my friend and refer to him as Mr. Univoise because that's one hell of speech impediment. But that and the extremely budget CGI makes it strangely authentic and personal. I've gone through over a dozen videos of his in the last week, good stuff.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
I've gone down a weird rabbit hole of

DancingBacons who is an individual in Singapore that just records different meals. There's some textual commentary on the food, and a few different throughlines (a series on night markets, a series on vending machine food), but generally it's just cool food from another part of the world. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've been enjoying the channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcHuNKYzVMc06FXqsBEAV3A
Jago Hazard

3-10 minute videos about British minutea with a focus on the designed world and logistics

A building that focuses light and destroys cars

https://youtu.be/c7VEu4ZHSUU

Did British subways hit plague pits?
Kinda yes and no

https://youtu.be/s2fyS3oLiDM

Walking a tunnel be that technically supports pedestrians traffic....

https://youtu.be/mWLK-64GR6c

Dudes channel has grown , without exaggeration, tenfold in the last 6 months