Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which episode changed his mind?
S2E01
S2E02
S2E03
S2E04
S2E05
S2E06
S2E07
S2E08
S2E09
S2E10
S2EGoku
View Results

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I did not expect that! luthor being murdered was really upsetting. he's a big dumb lovable doofus and seeing him betrayed like that was absolutely gutting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Question: I thought they knew Hargravees was an alien, didn't he tell them in their 1963 meeting? The recap at the beginning of e1 even has the shot of his deflated fake face on the floor. But Luther seemed like he didn't know when he told Klaus in the Void? I assume I just remember season 2 incorrectly?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Question: I thought they knew Hargravees was an alien, didn't he tell them in their 1963 meeting? The recap at the beginning of e1 even has the shot of his deflated fake face on the floor. But Luther seemed like he didn't know when he told Klaus in the Void? I assume I just remember season 2 incorrectly?

It was also really weird, why would Luther infer that Hargreeves was an alient just because he has tentacles? Ben has tentacles, that poo poo's normal to him. Whole season felt like a mess that was hit real hard by covid to me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Maybe I’m the one remembering incorrectly, but I don’t think so. He revealed himself to his secret society, as he killed them, and that (I believe) is where the fake face shot comes from. But I don’t think the family ever found out.

I just watched season 2 a few weeks ago, so I’m pretty sure I’m right about this.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I like that even though Hargravees was revealed to be an alien, he's not some infallible mastermind.

Agreed with the poster who said the season ending was abrupt. It ended just as everyone was finally on the same page about what was going on, which was a long time coming.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
jesus fuckin christ was not expecting this game of thrones rear end incest rape poo poo

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Allison was a loving lunatic all the way through this season and I hope the actress relished every unhinged moment. I was not expecting murder, attempted rape, and evil plotting.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

About time somebody calls out that little rear end in a top hat for ending the loving world, multiple goddamn times

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Just binged the season. Really not sure how I felt overall. Could have done without the attempted rape that was never acknowledged afterward, though. It was also really frustrating that all the surviving women ended up with kind of stereotypically misogynistic motivations (child, love, child and love). Granted half of the rest of the cast had those motivations too, but poor Sloane didn't even get to be a character outside of her romance plotline.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I liked Sloane a lot and hope she comes back. It was interesting to me that the universe reset and Sloane - from the alternate timeline - isn't with the rest of them, but Ben is, and rear end in a top hat-Ben instead of dead-Ben.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
How do we know which Ben it is?

And as for the rumor-rape (attempted), Luthor does ask what the gently caress in a later scene,

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Weird season. Wish someone play'd that pachinko machine. can you get a little home pachinko machine? can you get one without being "live in a custom decorated ghost hotel room" rich.

I liked Sloane because she reminded me of alexis from schitts creek and she was the one who wasn't a major rear end in a top hat, but I really didn't much care about their sudden ride-or-die relationship. Allison lost me for sure after the attempted rape, then they don't really bring it up, and it's all about viktor and allison's beef which I cannot remember how connects to what happened before this season. There was also a lot of plot happening just because people weren't allowed to be in the same room yet. Klaus was fantastic this season, appropriate power and I liked him tryin to soften up badBen.

i'm cracking up right now realizing they dusted that kid and he just never really came back up, I know they were done with him and not like when need a scene of him going back to his mom, it's just kinda funny "that's a wrap" kids deleted.

and the overarching alien plot is hargreeves doing a mr freeze with a universe twisted so he has some kind of egomaniac empire? he just needed some amount of super children to help him fight some golems that can be defeated with strong violence, and also for them to stand in the machine somehow powered by some of the particles in the super kids? did he need super kids for any part of this, is a guy whose power is "throwing knives" really that much more powerful than "anyone with a gun?" I think I missed why the golems were filled with bugs or what they're representing. As for the lady on the moon, if he's remaking the universe, is he really needing to keep her corpse on ice.

5 told himself not to save the universe, reckon so that the universe isn't remade by a narcissistic abusive sociopath alien. already feel pity for that woman, hargreeves will obviously not be a good partner and I'd be surprised if she even wanted to be preserved or resurrected. elder abuse is usually really tragic and sad but in his case, gently caress him, I totally get them doping him up to stop him from abusing them the same way as before he was doped up.

bet the universe would cycle through to a new one anyway like they theoretically do irl, but "saving the universe" isn't really about that for universe savers. if there's a next season guess they're set up for everyone coping without their powers and dealing with a world of trauma made by their abusive dad. Also gotta think this place wasn't made according to his complete specification, guessing his plans + allisons asks + whoopsy daisy axe exception error. Sloane being gone seems like something Allison would've asked for, res Luther but delete Sloane.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Doesn't the mystery woman, on her deathbed, encourge Hargreeves on his mission in the flashback at the end of season 1?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's been a long time. If so I guess there's one less lovely thing about an infinitely lovely dude.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Kind of feel like season 3 really invalidates season 1.

If the whole point was "get 7 gold dust powered people to run the machine like batteries" why wasn't he raising all 43 of them? I guess he could've been convinced the number 7 would be the requirement for some mystical task, but also it's clear his entire goal was to reset to get his wife back, so why did he kill himself in S1?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

pentyne posted:

If the whole point was "get 7 gold dust powered people to run the machine like batteries" why wasn't he raising all 43 of them? I guess he could've been convinced the number 7 would be the requirement for some mystical task, but also it's clear his entire goal was to reset to get his wife back, so why did he kill himself in S1?

I guess, he just startet with 7 because that's the magic number and then he just sort of gave up when one of them perished. I just don't get why he didn't try to replace that one. Maybe because they were already broken anyway.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
The voiceover exposition in season one and season three says he tracked down and bought as many kids as he could and got seven. I'm guessing the part about needing seven for project oblivion is kind of shoehorned to fit that after the fact.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pentyne posted:

Hmm. That last question is a really good question.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I am pretty sure it's because the comic the show is based on like 20 issues total and has deviated from the source more and more as the show has gone on. For example in the comics there are supervillains that the umbrella academy fights against (and they all have superhero names, not numbers) and Hotel Obsidian is a transdimensional jail.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I'm assuming that because they reset the universe, Dad Hargreeves motivation was also reset and this time round the death of his wife (?) was reacted to differently.

Handwaved, basically.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

fun season but insanely unsatisfying ending. what the hell!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

2nd level spells posted:

How do we know which Ben it is?

And as for the rumor-rape (attempted), Luthor does ask what the gently caress in a later scene,

The way he was talking in the scene in the courtyard made me think it was him, but I could be misremembering.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm on episode 9 of the third season but man I forgot just how dysfunctional they all are. The greatest supervillain is truly a bad relationship with your dad. Much like 15 out of 33 Marvel movies.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
A fun season, but my loving god am I over the "I have important information and aren't going to tell anyone" bullshit every single season has pulled over and over and over.

Yes, they all have their reasons (they're a bunch of dysfunctional idiots), but you can only drink from the same well so many times.

EDIT: guessing the show runners realised Sloane was such a non-entity as a character they just didn't bother bringing her back.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 29, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So finished the season:

Hargreaves tells Allison not to get on the sigil, presumably because he doesnt want her dying (even though they end up not dying or being harmed by the reset, minus their powers). My guess is that Allison still has her powers because of that. But my question is...why did Hargreeves care? it's not like it makes a difference to him to honor his deal with her as long as someone stood on it, and Five was moving to it. Was it as simple as trusting her not to kill him while he was working, while Five would presumably end him immediately?

second, why was killing Harlan so important? Hargreaves seems to want it in addition to what Ben wants, and also cites it to Ben as a thing Allison did, while he (Hargreaves) brought the families together while Ben did nothing. why was that significant? Am I just reading too much into it?

Still not totally sure what Five's message to himself was about either but just rolling with it. There is no way older Five could have first-hand knowledge of the Kugelblitz either, so could really know how that would turn out.

Also, not entirely grasping the significance of the mid-credits scene with Ben smiling on the train he was born, besides maybe reminding us that there is still a possible grandfather paradox going on.

E: liked it more than S2

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 29, 2022

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I wonder if there's a reason why there's only 17 babies born in the s3 timeline when it's 43 in the original one.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I wonder if there's a reason why there's only 17 babies born in the s3 timeline when it's 43 in the original one.

17 is incredibly important in Qanon culture. But that's just a a coincidence...or is it?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Hmm a billionaire thats pretending to be human with horrible children builds a hotel to re-make America great again...

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hmm a billionaire thats pretending to be human with horrible children builds a hotel to re-make America great again...

Who is Pogo in this scenario

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Giuliani, obviously.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Harlan I assume.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

XboxPants posted:

Who is Pogo in this scenario

Bill Barr

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

drat good call

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Binged this over the past two days, Definitely still some poo poo I don't understand, but overall it was real enjoyable. Had to try and remember what happened in the first two seasons though.

So Old Five is from a timeline where he fought the Guardians (missing arm) but did NOT get his injuries reset and powers taken away (in theory)? That doesn't make sense but then it was a paradox proof room.

Reginald must have originally intended to betray Allison, if Klaus hadn't shown up (or was Regi counting on this?) she'd have had to stand on one of the stars. Or, as he said, his plan wasn't thought out that far because he didn't know.

Either way Allison still has her powers because she still has her injuries, I wonder if that was Regi's intention or not.

Also imagine you have a 9 second pregnancy and then on top of that you give birth to a loving cube.

RIP Sloane. gently caress you Allison, I assume she's responsible for that. I wonder if Allison is going to be the season 4 villain if there is another season.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
None of the Umbrella Academy are innocents at this point, except maybe Klaus. But I was really not enjoying Allison's character for most of the season.

Still, she probably has the best reason of any of them for ending up like that - both her lover from the 60s and her child were gone - she had every right to be angry.

edit: Let's make a list.

1) Luther - was a kneecapper for a loan shark in the past.
2) Diego - stabs people, low rent batman.
3) Allison - murders Lester in cold blood, tries to rape Luther.
4) Klaus - mostly harmless.
5) Five - time travelling mass murderer.
6) Ben - never really see "our" Ben apart from when he hentaied those bank robbers as a kid.
7) Viktor - ends the world. Twice. Almost.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 3, 2022

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Klaus had a cult and had his Ben perform magic for him

pik_d fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 3, 2022

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Megillah Gorilla posted:

None of the Umbrella Academy are innocents at this point, except maybe Klaus. But I was really not enjoying Allison's character for most of the season.

Still, she probably has the best reason of any of them for ending up like that - both her lover from the 60s and her child were gone - she had every right to be angry.

edit: Let's make a list.

1) Luther - was a kneecapper for a loan shark in the past.
2) Diego - stabs people, low rent batman.
3) Allison - murders Lester in cold blood, tries to rape Luther.
4) Klaus - mostly harmless.
5) Five - time travelling mass murderer.
6) Ben - never really see "our" Ben apart from when he hentaied those bank robbers as a kid.
7) Viktor - ends the world. Twice. Almost.

I really struggled with this season. I feel like I missed something with Allison and Viktor. When Viktor transitioned and announced it they had some very touching moments and then on a drop of a hat she turned on him, I cannot recall the precipitating event. Sure, Viktor was responsible for multiple apocalypses but that happened before these ‘touching moments’ they shared.

I thought it may have been when Harlan entered the picture and it came out that he killed their mothers, but again…. That didn’t impact her husband or child disappearing.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TraderStav posted:

I thought it may have been when Harlan entered the picture and it came out that he killed their mothers, but again…. That didn’t impact her husband or child disappearing.

Yes it did, Allison's mother died early in this timeline, so Allison never existed, so Claire never existed. Allison's husband went and married a different black lady and had a different child. If Harlan hadn't prevented Allison from being born then, in theory, she'd still have had Claire in this timeline.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Plus Viktor didn't tell Allison anything he found out. He kept it from her, and that struck me as being just as upsetting to her as Harlan's actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I mean the whole entire show has always been "all of this could be avoided with any communication at all"