Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which episode changed his mind?
S2E01
S2E02
S2E03
S2E04
S2E05
S2E06
S2E07
S2E08
S2E09
S2E10
S2EGoku
View Results

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't know if it's season 1, I think it is, but all this "I lost my child!" I was waiting for someone to finally snap on her and bring up how she had already lost her daughter 100% because her husband caught her using her power on her.

I guess the rest of them didn't know but I'm pretty sure she wasn't allowed around her kid when the show started either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

pik_d posted:

Yes it did, Allison's mother died early in this timeline, so Allison never existed, so Claire never existed. Allison's husband went and married a different black lady and had a different child. If Harlan hadn't prevented Allison from being born then, in theory, she'd still have had Claire in this timeline.

So the reason the other 6 were selected to be in the academy was because the mothers were killed and not because Reggie picked different children… for some reason I had it in my head that he selected different ones because of the encounter in 1963 AND it so happened that the mothers dying prevented the chance of the academy from bumping into themselves. I thought that was a plot device for that, but now I see it was the other way around.

I was thinking that even if the original 6 existed in this timeline, she wouldn’t have had the same daughter or husband as without the academy she wouldn’t have met him, etc….

That does make more sense now that I see that.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

TraderStav posted:

So the reason the other 6 were selected to be in the academy was because the mothers were killed and not because Reggie picked different children… for some reason I had it in my head that he selected different ones because of the encounter in 1963 AND it so happened that the mothers dying prevented the chance of the academy from bumping into themselves. I thought that was a plot device for that, but now I see it was the other way around.

I was thinking that even if the original 6 existed in this timeline, she wouldn’t have had the same daughter or husband as without the academy she wouldn’t have met him, etc….

That does make more sense now that I see that.

The show basically led us to that conclusion, I don't remember if the Umbrella siblings came to that conclusion or if Regi said something to that effect, but it was said in the show I'm pretty sure.

You're also right that Claire likely wouldn't exist because of Allison's life being different, but Allison blames the people who made it impossible for Claire to have existed because she's in grief.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pentyne posted:

I don't know if it's season 1, I think it is, but all this "I lost my child!" I was waiting for someone to finally snap on her and bring up how she had already lost her daughter 100% because her husband caught her using her power on her.

I guess the rest of them didn't know but I'm pretty sure she wasn't allowed around her kid when the show started either.

Her not being allowed visitation with her child is different than her child not existing, though. One way, she knows her child is safe somewhere. This way, her child is loving gone.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

pik_d posted:

You're also right that Claire likely wouldn't exist because of Allison's life being different, but Allison blames the people who made it impossible for Claire to have existed because she's in grief.

Yeah, specifically in the 'anger' phase.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, specifically in the 'anger' phase.

Then she moved on to make a literal bargain! I hadn't thought about that part of it before. I wonder if we'll get another season so we can see depression and acceptance, or if she'll have to start all over?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Ravenfood posted:

Also, not entirely grasping the significance of the mid-credits scene with Ben smiling on the train he was born, besides maybe reminding us that there is still a possible grandfather paradox going on.

My guess would be that there are two Bens and train Ben is dead Ben.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I guess, he just startet with 7 because that's the magic number and then he just sort of gave up when one of them perished. I just don't get why he didn't try to replace that one. Maybe because they were already broken anyway.

He was down two kids: Ben was dead and Five was missing.

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 4, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

pik_d posted:

Then she moved on to make a literal bargain! I hadn't thought about that part of it before. I wonder if we'll get another season so we can see depression and acceptance, or if she'll have to start all over?

Hah, I hadn't thought about the bargain.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Shrimpy posted:

My guess would be that there are two Bens and train Ben is dead Ben.

He was down two kids: Ben was dead and Five was missing.

Fair enough, but it did not seem like he was trying to recruit anyone new.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Last episode spoilers

I'm still bummed that just as half of the group starts figuring out their real powers; Allison's a Maxwell Lord style brainwasher but she needs high emotional motivation to use it beyond 'I heard a Rumor' Viktor's resonance thing he can do with his powers once Harlan explains it to him, Klaus can't stay dead, Five can do pretty well rewinding time with seconds instead of doing big decade leaps, they just remove everyone's powers at the end. Except Allison's maybe.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I just wonder if things will culminate in Five’s establishment of the Commission as a bulwark against Reggie’s fuckery

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I just wonder if things will culminate in Five’s establishment of the Commission as a bulwark against Reggie’s fuckery

That clearly didn't work though because Five didn't listen to Old-Five.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I just realized that Five may start the Commission because he lost the ability to travel through time naturally, so he needs the suitcases to make things right. Sure, that probably doesn't make a lot of sense, time line wise, if you squint at it long enough, but neither do most time travel theories.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
was there any explanation at all for what Cube Sparrow is? I can't recall any exposition at all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

FistEnergy posted:

was there any explanation at all for what Cube Sparrow is? I can't recall any exposition at all.

There was none. I go back and forth on wanting an explanation, and loving that we were given none.

I can come up with a bullshit one on my own if I want (like, say, he almost died, and was put into a cube to save his life, sort of like Luther and the injection. Or maybe he was legit born as a cube, for some reason). But if I'm being honest, I don't need one. He is Christopher, and he is a cube.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
yeah that checks out. it was an interesting season but it definitely felt like the pieces weren't lining up and they weren't quite holding the narrative together.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I'm still lost as to why all the mothers didn't get microwaved by Harlan and so no Sparrows should exist either. He should have sensed them too right? So he just decided 'oh I know these frequencies only, let's try reaching out'?

Honestly everything Harlan touched this season made the show worse.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I thought he killed like 27 mothers so probably would have also gotten the Sparrow moms too? I guess once you have one grandpa paradox it doesn’t matter if the sparrows are part of it or not.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I thought he killed like 27 mothers so probably would have also gotten the Sparrow moms too? I guess once you have one grandpa paradox it doesn’t matter if the sparrows are part of it or not.

Yeah, I think he killed around 27, too. But that's out of 43 (right?), so Reggie may have built the Sparrows out of who was left?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So Hargreeves's entire plan was about reviving his wife, or whoever that was frozen on the moon?

The only reason he took the children in was to train them to the point where they would be able to face the guardians in the other hotel. All the abuse, all the crime fighting just so they would be good enough to last a few minutes against the cockroach samurai.

Then to be sacrificed to power the universal machine.

No wonder he never formed any bonds with them. Trained them from birth to kill them.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So Hargreeves's entire plan was about reviving his wife, or whoever that was frozen on the moon?

The only reason he took the children in was to train them to the point where they would be able to face the guardians in the other hotel. All the abuse, all the crime fighting just so they would be good enough to last a few minutes against the cockroach samurai.

Then to be sacrificed to power the universal machine.

No wonder he never formed any bonds with them. Trained them from birth to kill them.

Frozen on the moon, but also on her death bed on that alien planet. He's kept her around for a while.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
Not to be dense, but what was the reason for killing the guardians exactly? Could they have all just stood on the sigil at first and avoided all that nonsense?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm pretty sure it's because Hargreeve didn't really know that much about what to do. He knew there were seven guardians and that a certain sigil was the key to resetting the universe.

From folklore, he knew that there were countless tales of seven heroes defeating seven villains, so he assumed that's that they had to do. Apparently, you only had to step on certain spots (which looked nothing like the designs in his book to me).

Also, why the "creator of the universe" made a Japanese themed hotel with cockroach samurais is just a much of a mystery as who was making the sushi.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

We haven't started the new season yet, but Netflix has gone back and updated Elliot Page's name for season 2 (and I'd assume 1) in the credits. Neat!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

its also possible that when you stood on the sigils and started the process, that might have woken the guardians and you just get totally owned while youre frozen in place getting juiced

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Standing on the sigils literally killed the last guardian though?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I avoided this show for a long time. It was kinda exactly as bad as I expected but perfectly fine for what it is. Why was the terrible dad wearing his human mask in the alien world flashback? There are plausible reasons this is semiretorical

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Chieves posted:

We haven't started the new season yet, but Netflix has gone back and updated Elliot Page's name for season 2 (and I'd assume 1) in the credits. Neat!

That rules :toot:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I've watched three episodes of season 3 and wow it's been the worst part of the series so far.

I'm not sure I'm gonna bother watching more.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

I've watched three episodes of season 3 and wow it's been the worst part of the series so far.

I'm not sure I'm gonna bother watching more.

Watch it for Klaus and Five.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rauri posted:

Watch it for Klaus and Five.

It's amazing how Five is both the only competent character, and also somehow the best actor of the bunch.

Klaus is at least funny though, yeah. The whole main band is just.. bad otherwise though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Five and Klaus have carried the show since the first episode.

Everyone else is just a background character, even when they're literally ending the world.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Five and Klaus have carried the show since the first episode.

Everyone else is just a background character, even when they're literally ending the world.

That was part of the charm imo. Crazy rear end wonky show about crazy rear end wonky people.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I hope Fives actor gets lots of roles coming in, he acts everyone off the screen.

Edit- lol he's better than 90pc of the stranger things cast and younger too

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 13, 2022

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Sloth Life posted:

I hope Fives actor gets lots of roles coming in, he acts everyone off the screen.

Edit- lol he's better than 90pc of the stranger things cast and younger too

Could Five help Eleven by teleporting straight to the Upside Down?? :thunk:

Or would Eleven just get PTSD from seeing someone else with a number for a name

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Finally finished s3 last night. Good, solid season. I enjoyed it. But my brain was tied up in a knot trying to sort out the time fuckery to make everything line up.

Part of me hopes there is some elegant solution proposed whenever it picks back up, assuming Netflix actually renews it. But this show never struck me as one to explain anything more than absolutely necessary, which I'm also fine with.

I do like all these different shades of Regi the children have had to wrangle with. However, if I had to guess based on the very end, the Regi we would meet in the next season probably has no idea his plan worked. Alison appears to be the only one unaffected in this new world (same bandage/injury), but she was the only one under that little bubble, while Regi lay dead. That also means Alison could be the only one that still has powers, but we saw that her powers don't work on Regi just moments earlier. So now we have the most original version of the character, and presumably, the most ruthless based on how he's dominated every conceivable aspect of industry.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Yeah its kinda insane that Aiden Gallagher as 14 year old and onwards has been exceptionally convincing as the smartest, oldest and most jaded person in the room. Those arent easy beats for child actors, even talented ones, to hit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Alison does bring up an interesting point, when the old guy apologises for erasing her daughter and killing their mothers - apologies are a linguistic trap. You can't win. If you apologise, the only word in our language is "sorry" and in some cases it's just not strong enough. However, if you neglect to use it, despite knowing that using it will only piss off the other party, the other party STILL gets pissed off even if you are working to resolve whatever you have caused (provided it has a resolution that you can achieve) because "how can I believe you care if you haven't even apologised?" It's a bullshit social trap that there is no way out of. Either way, apology or no, there is nothing you can do or say, especially if there isn't a way to fix the problem. Especially since in this case it was an accident. If the offense is intentional, then fair enough, but when it's unintentional and just a thing that happened that was out of your control, then it's just an impossible situation to navigate.

Alison is right that "Sorry isn't what you say when you obliterate someone's daughter", but what is? If he didn't apologise she'd get pissed for a whole other reason.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I took Allison's ability not working on Regi because he's an alien, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Maybe cause he was in the alien control whatsits.

Didn't rewatch the previous seasons so I was waiting for an explanation for why Luther was on the drat moon so long. But it also made sense he had no intention to explain anything beyond promising to so things kept going his way.