Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dale-Taco posted:

No. You must make proper waifus of all the guns.

Amusingly, unlike other gacha games, the "marriage" system is completely unattached to the wedding dress costumes :v: It'll still cost a lotta money to waifu 'em all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wait, you can actually marry the gun girls? Do they get bonuses if you do? Is there a harem ending?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Wait, you can actually marry the gun girls? Do they get bonuses if you do? Is there a harem ending?

Yes in a sense although it's not technically what you're doing in lore, yes, no.

I'll get into the OATH system more when I do a mechanics post on affection.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

CommissarMega posted:

Many of these games have a marriage system, i'm playing a sort of similar game to this called Azur Lane and that also that has a marriage systems. Usually marrying girls gives them a stats boost in games like this.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Given the next big event Deep Dive is confirmed for April 30th, how are you gonna handle that?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

skaianDestiny posted:

Given the next big event Deep Dive is confirmed for April 30th, how are you gonna handle that?

I'll record it for future use, but I'll use my own echelons (boo). When Cube+ and Arctic Warfare reruns happen I'm gonna record them too. If we get to the relevant events in the story before the reruns happen, I have a good idea on how to handle it. It's a good thing I have transcripts and mediocre art skills.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Meldonox posted:

Another known tactic is to have a buddy who wants things but only roll indifferently yourself. I've been stealing Ibble's luck for months and got pizza lion on my very first heavy prod ever.

This. I totally credit my berrycano roll to indirectly stealing Ibble's luck. Praise the Green-Eyed Goddess! :selfspray:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chapter 1, Part 2

Last time on Girls' Frontline, we discovered that Skorpion is still alive and on the run, with critical information on finding M4. We're not the only ones in search of her, with Sangvis Ferri forces-

: UWWAAAAAaaaaaahhhh I'm awake I'm awake what did I miss?

Welcome back to the waking lands, Commander Gentiane. Gentiane is the commander in the official manga, and so is pretty much the only canonical depiction of the commander. We'll be using her as ours too. She's also a badass when she's not sleeping, so that helps.

: Thanks for the introduction. Who was running the joint whilst I was asleep?

Uh, some bozo. Doesn't matter.

: Ahem.
: Oops. Be right there, Miss Helian.

Chapter 1-4: Missing Party

Music: Frontline

: A friendly T-Doll designated VZ-61 has gone missing and is suspected to have fallen into Sangvis hands.
: She may be in possession of important intelligence, so we must recover her.
: Our most pressing objective is to locate this T-Doll and launch a rescue mission.
: And your job, Commander, is to scour the Sangvis command post in the area for valuble operation records.
: One more thing, Commander.
: Unlike those at the previous outpost, these Sangvis troops will actively seek out and attack out forces. Please be careful.

She ain't lying. From now on, enemies will move around the map, and I'll actually have to start showing what goes on during an SF turn.

: Hello, ladies. Sorry I've been away until now. Everything going ok?
: Oh, hi Commander Gentiane! Just getting ready for this next operation. If it was anything like the last few, it'll be pretty easy.
: It's good that you're confident, but the SF forces here aren't as basic as the previous lot. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'll be deploying another echelon with you guys as support.
: Oh, do we know these T-Dolls?
: Probably not. They worked at my old post, and they're veterans when it comes to fighting SF. Don't worry, they won't steal all your glory. And they're nice.

I use my first turn to move the Super Sorority close to a helipad, then summon in a second echelon. I don't actually know if you can get a Gold here with just one echelon. Don't accuse me of cheating the format of this LP. I do this for you, dear reader. :v:

: Welrod, you guys are up.
: Yes, ma'am. Reaching the LZ in 5... 4...

: Welrod to Super SASS, do you copy?
: Oh, hi! Are you guys the support team?
: Yep, we've got your back, mate. Carry on.
: Righto, ol' chap!
: ???

: Keep in mind, SASS, that just as we can capture SF nodes, that they'll be happy to capture ours too. Wasn't a problem until now, but I thought that you'll appreciate the pointer.
: I'll keep that in my tactics data storage, Commander.
: (Not that many of you T-Dolls even have one.)

: SASS, swing by the southern helipad and engage the SF forces on the other side. Miss Welrod, take the northern route.
: Copy that, ma'am.
: Will do, Commander!

: Incoming hostiles.
: Will you be alright, Miss Welrod?
: This ain't our first rodeo, kid. Watch how us pros handle it.

You can move your T-Dolls in battle, along with swapping their position. This tends to be used against enemies with certain attack patterns or to kite shots with your tank. In this case, it's because Astra is in the 5 position despite not being a great tank due to her tile buffs. Let's swap her with Welrod. Tap on Welrod...

...and drag to Astra's position to swap them. Can be a bit tough with fat fingers, but what can ya do. Remember, tile buffs are static and stay with the affected dolls no matter any movement.

: Alright, ladies, let's wrap things up quickly. Welrod's team can finish off the mobs on the north, whilst SASS's team-
: The Super Sorority!
: ... Whilst the Super Sorority can get the undefended command post to the south.
: (I'm surprised you're OK with that, Gentiane.)
: (I've learnt that sometimes, going along with a T-Doll's whims can help morale a lot.)

: Job well done, Super SASS, along with your team.
: Thanks! If it makes it any easier, you can just call us the Super Sorority. I wasn't the one who came up with the name, though...
: If you insist. It's a little bit childish though...
: Weren't we called the Welrod Warriors for a while?
: Alright, stop all vox chatter! Let's keep the voice channels clear! Welrod out!
: *snrk*

Music: Room

Waiting for analysis from HQ. A moment later...

: While HQ was compiling the data, they recovered some useful information.
: The good news is, VZ-61 is still alive, but is in a really tight spot...
: In any case, please take a look at this video feed first.

Music: Boss

In the ruins near the battlefield, VZ-61 is being interrogated by a Sangvis T-Doll.

: All you did... was stall for time.
: Poor thing. You're going through this interrogation because of your friends, but they've already left you for dead.
: That's not true. They're gonna get help and come back for me! She promised!
: Then let me remind you again, you pathetic piece of junk.
: They are the AR Team, cold and highly efficient elite T-Dolls.
: You are nothing more than disposable goods to them.
: No... Not true!
: I won't believe your lies! M4A1 is my companion!
: She isn't your companion, pitiful thing!
: Tell me where she is, and I'll be kind and let you rot on the roadside like the piece of junk that you are...
: Just as your 'companions' have done.

: I'm asking you one last time... Tell me where she is.

Kalina's report: With the commander providing cover, the surviving T-Dolls rescued their captured companion.

Chapter 1-5: Rescue Signal

: It doesn't matter whether she's leaked intel to the enemy. It is our duty to recover stranded T-Dolls.
: So our current objective is to do everything we can to rescue VZ-61.
: Your mission this time, Commander, is to assist our troops in completing this rescue operation.
: According to reports, there's a Sangvis recon base in the area, making it dangerous for us to move.
: Please destroy the base quickly so that our forces can mobilize undetected.
: VZ-61's survival depends entirely on this operation. Begin whenever you're ready, Commander.

: Standard opening moves, SASS. You go in first, head towards the nearest helipad, and wait for Welrod's team to come in and support you. Any questions?
: Bren Ten?
: Should've picked those up before you left. (Not like they're very necessary at the moment.)
: Don't worry, I have some spare.
: What?
: You're almost at the LZ. Let's go, ladies.

Like was said, standard opener.

: We're on the central helipad, Madam Welrod. Is the southern approach clear?
: Heading in now.
: Don't worry, nothing we can't handle.

: Piece of cake. Nothing's even scratched Welrod or Astra yet.
: It's nice to have a mission where I don't need to get a new hat after.
: Hats
are surpisingly expensive at the requisitions store. drat Kalina...
: Not to butt in on you bad-mouthing my money-obsessed logistics officer, but we're not entirely in the clear. There's a defenseless line between our command post and the northern approach. A group of SF could sneak in.
: Should we double back, Commander?
: No, hold your position, SASS. I'm going to call in a favour with another Commander to see if we can get an emergency deployment of one of their echelons as base defense. The rest of you, continue the mission as planned.

: Hey, Commander Danann? Yeah, long time no see. Not since our time at the Academy. Hey, you don't happen to have an echelon of T-Dolls around S09?

: They'll be perfect, thanks.

: Oh, hey MG5.
: Hey Welrod. You alright?
: I'm alright. You alright?
: Yeah, I'm alright.

We've summoned in a friend echelon. You can summon them no AP cost unlike regular echelons, but there are a few caveats:
A) You can only summon 20 a day.
B) They can't be directly commanded by you other than some rudimentary AI commands.
C) They only move one node a turn.
D) Any SF enemies defeated by them will not count towards your Gold kill count.

*The units next to SASS and Welrod ran into them, being taken out with little fanfare.*

: Welrod's team, with the southern passage clear, I want you to double back and go to the north instead.
: On our way, Commander. Out!

: Hey, MG5, we need to do a switcheroo.
: Vienna-style or Hamburg?
: Hamburg, please.
: Alright, you heard her. We're pulling a Hamburg!

You can swap echelon positions without any AP cost. Very convenient.

Just like that.

: Northern passage clear so far. How are you doing, Super Sorority?
: We're alright, just advanced a bit.

: Actually, an SF team doubled back towards us. We're going to go in for some combat experience.
: Go ahead.

: SF team cleared.
: Good work, Super Sorority. Should be a clear shot to the enemy command post. If you will.
: Yes, Commander!

... Half an hour later, the team arrived at the coordinates.
Griffin T-Doll: *gestures* Ready...
Griffin T-Doll: *gestures* 3... 2... 1...

*gunfire*

Engage in battle.

: ...
: P... Papasha?
: It's me, Skorpion. We're here to get you.
: Papasha... You're still alive...?
: Am I dreaming...?

Music: Sad (Just so you know, the descriptions for these tracks that aren't in the OST can be a bit... to the point.)

: *smiles* Don't be silly. Can we even dream?
: Don't worry. Everything's fine now.

... Mission accomplished.

: So you didn't disclose the AR Team's whereabouts?

: For the sake of my companions, even those I thought I'd lost, I'd never surrender to someone like that!
: I believe you, VZ-61.
: As for Scarecrow's objective, we'll have to find out by capturing her.
: Miss Helian, please count me in on the hunt for Scarecrow.
: I don't have any vacancies here.
: If you want revenge, I can assign you to a new commander.

: Aw, shucks, Helian.
: OK! No matter where I go, I'll do my best as long as I'm with Griffin!

Kalina's report: We found the Sangvis Ringleader lurking in the area thanks to information provided by the T-Doll. It seems to be looking for someone...

: Do you guys want to grab a bite before the next mission?
: Sorry, love, we need to go prepare for one that's pretty far away. Maybe next time?
: I'm all out of cash and I'd rather not dip into my hat fund.
: *sniff* Bren Ten.
: Aww, I had fun too! See you around!

Chapter 1-6: Operation Uproot

As you can see, we have our first Limited Drop in the drop pool for 1-6. These are special T-Dolls that can only be obtained by farming boss maps. I believe they have a 1% drop rate or so on S-rank of a boss fight or S-rank map completion. Happy hunting, completionists.

: Our target this time is this T-Doll.

: According to information provided by the rescued T-Doll, she knows the details and objective behind the recent Sangvis raids.
: Our objective is to capture her and extract her memory module.
: Unlike previous minor skirmishes, this time your troops will be up against an advanced T-Doll.
: But you've made it this far. I'm sure you can handle this.
: Begin the operation, Commander, and good luck.

Music: MADE IN HEAVEN (This is the music for all boss maps. Check it out, it's funky!)

: SASS, Welrod's team has other obligations, so for this mission you'll be supported by Miss Skorpion and her echelon. Everything else should be the same, standard opener and all. Play nice, now.

: ... Miss Skorpion, where's the rest of your echelon?
: Didn't really have time to organise a team, so i'ts just me.
: Are you sure you'll be alright?
: I'LL BE MORE THAN ALRIGHT.
: ... Carry on then. (I need a nap.)

: Hi, Miss Skorpion! I'm Super SASS!
: HI, NICE TO MEET YOU. WHERE'S THE SF BASTARDS?
: Uh...
: Looks like this mission is gonna be fun.

*The SF unit next to SASS runs into her.*

I forgot to talk about these enemy units that have been around since 1-2. They're Rippers, and they're the SF SMG-equivalent. Mildly evasive, mostly cannon fodder.

: Make your way down to the southern helipad, if you will, SASS. Thanks.
: Yes, Commander. Are you alright?
: Please don't make my day take any longer than it has to. Helipad. Please. Thanks.

: Helipad get! :toot:

: Can I finally go, Commander Gentiane?
: *sigh* Go ahead, Skorpion. Stick to the north, please.
: ALRIGHT.

SF Ripper: Oh, God, please, mercy!
: DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE FACE OF MERCY TO YOU?

: Well at least she can take care of herself. *chugs vodka*

*Nothing of importance happens, really.*

: So whilst Skorpion is tearing up the northern side of the field-
: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
: I'd like you to take out Scarecrow, Super Sorority.
: Leave it to us, Madam Commander.
: We won't let you down!

: Target spotted! Go go go!

There's a small group of Prowlers to handle before Scarecrow proper.

: I'm gonna try and stun her!
: Wait, MT-9! In the dossier it said that she's got anti-stun upg-
: Too late!

All bosses are immune to stun grenades. I believe that this was not always the case, but stun grenades got nerfed so that they won't be king of all the grenades.

: I'm taking a lot of fire here!
: Not to worry, MT-9. I've got this bullet here engraven with Scarecrow's name right on it...

: And so, I remember the name of my father...
: (Bren Ten?)
: (I think she's just being metaphorical there.)

: And so, in the name of Griffin-
: SASS.
: -I shall pun- hmm?
: Target's down. I lobbed a grenade at her.
: Oh.

: Can you guys forget those last 5 seconds?

This is just to illustrate that you can't just leapfrog a captured node to try and capture it by encirclement if the node on the other side is itself encircled. SF encirclement applies before ours, sadly.

: Alright, ladies, let's end this and grab some hot choc when we're back at base.

Y'know, I don't really know what determines which T-Doll gets featured on the win screen.

Music: Sneak

As Griffin T-Dolls immobilize and capture her, the operation enters the final stretch...

: Sangvis T-Doll SP65 'Scarecrow', your efforts in resistance were all futile.
: Surrender immediately, and we will seize you in one piece.

: Just give up. Whatever you're after, it's clearly impossible now.
: VZ-61 has been rescued. The information she gave you was false.
: False? Not entirely, I'd say.
: Griffin T-Dolls don't have such advanced AI...
: ... What?

: When those crudely made T-Dolls 'lie', they just throw in some random data on top of the truth and shuffle the sequence.
: So even false information has bits of truth in the mix.
: We just have to collect and analyze three different sets of false intel to find the common factors - the real answer.

: This is strictly confidential information concerning the programming of our AI. How did you know about this?!
: Who... the hell are you...?
: Just a lowly T-Doll... from Sangvis Ferri...
: However, I'm not a tool that bows under human will.
: Do you get it... cowardly human... holed up in your base... daring to show yourself only through hologram...?
: Whatever. Your operation has already failed.
: No matter what you know, you won't live to tell the tale.
: Actually...

Music: Boss

: Sequence number... 8354... 9266... 0223.
: I finally calculated M4A1's coordinates at the last minute...
: ... Coordinates? What are they?!
: Who are you corresponding with, Sangvis?!
: Copy that, Scarecrow. Well done.
: Hmm... I'll leave the rest to you.
: Farewell...
: What are you doing?! Stop!
: She's gonna blow herself up!
: Everyone back off! Back off!

: Good heavens... I should've warmed up to her sooner.
: But at least nothing can come between us now...
: M4A1, which corner are you hiding in?
: We paid a huge price just to find you. You'd better not disappoint...

Kalina's report: We defeated Scarecrow but couldn't stop it from transmitting key information to its associate.

: Hmm, I feel like I've forgotten to do something. Something to do with updating the T-Doll OS? Eh, whatever, can't be that important.

Next: Chapter 1 Emergency

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 3, 2019

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Pretty sure the T-doll on the map clear screen is just the leader of the team closest to your HQ at the time. So it will usually be the single HG sitting on your base for morale support.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Is it just RNG to determine that, if there are two echelons equally far away from HQ?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
I thought it was always the leader of whichever echelon on the map that has the lowest number, e.g. Skorpion got featured because she's the lead doll in Echelon 1.

Also, something else about friend echelons is that you can only bring in two per map.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Kadorhal posted:

I thought it was always the leader of whichever echelon on the map that has the lowest number, e.g. Skorpion got featured because she's the lead doll in Echelon 1.

Also, something else about friend echelons is that you can only bring in two per map.

Nope, cause Echelon 6 is my unleveled one I use to fill space when running 0-2 and their leader is always the featured character at the end of finishing the mission. So yeah, my guess would be that it is whoever is closest to the home base.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Calling in five friend echelons also finishes that daily quest which gives you a bit of resources.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Huh, that explains a lot. I always just assumed that it was first echelon on the field as I usually slap down my base defense first on 2-heli-start maps.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
So which gun lady is your favorite?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

Well, if you insist.

G36. Cool meido, great design, good in-game stats, great artist.

I mostly love Imoko's artstyle :v: It's pretty much everything I aspire to when I started learning drawing myself.

https://twitter.com/_Imonatsuki_/status/1075281642665721857

https://twitter.com/_Imonatsuki_/status/1065155371222908929

She can do both cool and cute, and that's something to admire.

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/GirlsFrontlineE/status/1112625747196207104

My favorite T-doll runs their own successful Russian PMC when they aren't busy flexing on Sanvis scum.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

And, by extension from Grandmaparty's post, which one legitimately skeeves or creeps you out to no end?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Shadowbag posted:

https://twitter.com/GirlsFrontlineE/status/1112625747196207104

My favorite T-doll runs their own successful Russian PMC when they aren't busy flexing on Sanvis scum.

Who needs gungirls if you've got those guns, right?

(For non-players reading this, we haven't met this guy just yet :v: )

Sel Nar posted:

And, by extension from Grandmaparty's post, which one legitimately skeeves or creeps you out to no end?

I ain't gonna link a picture, but anyone who's a fan of ART55's design should probably be arrested.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

Springfield, Mosin, and Garand are my old favorites. M16 too.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
So I just found out I can play this game on BlueStacks for my PC so after these updates are done I look forward to trying this out and I know if I get stuck I can ask her and re read the thread for help and advice.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

We actually have a thread here on SA which should have the discord link as well.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Danann posted:

We actually have a thread here on SA which should have the discord link as well.

Oh, thank you I hadn't noticed.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

koolkevz666 posted:

So I just found out I can play this game on BlueStacks for my PC so after these updates are done I look forward to trying this out and I know if I get stuck I can ask her and re read the thread for help and advice.

Bluestacks is actually what I'm recording on! I normally play on my phone though. It's pretty easy to swap back and forth, if you're curious.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mechanics: Logistics and Auto-Battle

So I mentioned last mechanics post that logistics was pretty much the way of getting large chunks of resources without paying real cash for them. Logistics are passive missions that you send echelons out to whilst you do other stuff, and you check back in once in a while to get your rewards. Logistics missions take anywhere from 15 minutes to 24 hours to complete, with the rewards generally being of a proportional size.

Music: HORIZON

Here's what the logistics screen looks like. It's a tab in the Combat screen, as you can probably tell. Here you can see the resource rewards along with other potential rewards. Every chapter of the main story has associated logistics, which you unlock when you unlock that chapter. Generally, the higher the chapter, the better the logistics associated. In the top right corner you can see that a maximum of 4 echelons can be sent to logistics at a time. This is why it's generally a good idea to invest your free gems (premium currency) into echelons first, as it both lets you have more versatility in combat and lets you run more logistics in the background whilst you play/do other stuff. The little triangle next to the number of echelons on logistics actually toggles the rewards to show in resources/hour, a good way to see which logistics are the most efficient for your time. Whilst some of the sub-1 hour logistics have great efficiency, I have a life and don't run anything shorter than an hour. :v:

You can see that there are some potential additional rewards to most logistics missions in the form of contracts. I don't think there are exact percentages on how likely you are to receive one on mission completion, but I've found that it's relatively high. Here's what these contracts do:

: T-Doll Contract. Lets you roll in the doll gacha once.

: Equipment Contract. Same, but for equipment.

: Quick Production Ticket. Lets you skip the wait time when rolling for a doll/equipment. x10 cost for heavy production.

: Quick Repair Ticket. Lets you skip the wait time when it comes to repairing damaged dolls, which can go into hours. Also lets you repair mid-mission (but at double the resource cost along with forfeiting Gold medals).

: Token. Used to roll in the costume/furniture gacha. Annoyingly hard to stock up unless you whale out. Only the 12h and 24h logistic missions give these (in terms of logistics, they're available from daily quests and achievements too).

This is what it looks like when you click on a logistics mission. As you can see, every mission has a minimum level (for the leader of the echelon) and headcount to be able to be run. There's also a Great Success chance. A great success means 50% extra resources, along with a higher chance of getting an additional reward. The great success rate is determined by the total level of all the dolls in the echelon, and caps out at 60% with all 5 dolls at lvl 100.

And we've sent them out. Note that we can recall them at any moment. We don't lose anything but our time because it doesn't cost anything to send an echelon out to logistics anyway.

Here's what they look like coming back. A list of resources and bonus rewards. Nice and easy. If you tap it again you get a convenient "send them out again on the same mission" button too.

If you were really curious as to what a great success looks like.

Auto-Battle is a similar concept. Send an echelon out, wait for it to passively complete, come back when done for rewards. In this case, the rewards for auto-battle are the same as doing the battle regularly. You get a bunch of xp and doll/equipment drops at the cost of resources and having to wait longer than what it would usually take for you to complete the map manually, but hey, it's passive farming.

As you can see, there's a minimum echelon strength needed along with the resource and time cost. Most auto-battles also need you to send a minimum of 2 echelons.

It's pretty obvious which mission you're running auto-battle on. You can only run it on one mission at a time though (subject to change on CN servers), and you can't run the mission normally whilst running it in auto-battle. You can terminate at any time for a full resource refund, at least.

And this is your reward after a bunch of waiting. XP and a bunch of doll drops. Just imagine a ton of M1911s and IDWs dropping or something afterwards, I dunno.

So, that's all the fun ways you can play the game whilst not playing the game. Exciting, right? :v:

Next mechanic: Skills and stats

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Thank you for the mechanics post having just started thanks in a large part to this LP, I completely misunderstood what auto battle was for and i'm now really glad I know of a way to train and level up my other echelons to get to the same level as my main echelon.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I find autobattle is very useful for later missions and chapters since each autobattle is a chance for limited drops and also is not dependent on actual combat viability so there's some passive leveling there.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Danann posted:

I find autobattle is very useful for later missions and chapters since each autobattle is a chance for limited drops and also is not dependent on actual combat viability so there's some passive leveling there.

It's also extremely useful with Night Battles, both to get you the special equipment drops and just a regular flow of trash gear to +10 your gold gear. Also nice because the fog of war and time limits can make Night Battles a pain to actively do.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have to ask: Where did the term 'Gacha' come from?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

"Gashapon" or "gachapon" are the onomatopoeia for the sound of cranking a toy machine and then it hitting the collection tray. the version seen in games would end up being shortened to "gacha"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chapter 1 Emergency, Part 1

New costume series means new loading screen! This is the Prince's Frontline series, where the gungirls dress up as boys for a bit. The art is done by Infukun, Mica's Chief Artist who does the background art, NPCs, SF bosses and a decent amount of T-Dolls including MG5, Calico and others. Check out their Twitter/Pixiv here!

So, Chapter 1 done, Scarecrow defeated, what next? Well, after every chapter completed, we unlock an emergency chapter that pretty much serves as a hard mode and story supplement to the main chapter. It's also shorter, at only 4 stages. Before we head into 1 Emergency though, the Super Sorority did manage to hit level 10 after their fight with Scarecrow, which means a certain special upgrade for them.

: Dummy links! Whoo!

As I was really dumb and didn't grab a screenshot of the dummy link screen whilst I was doing this, and the game doesn't let you get a good preview if you don't have any dolls that need it done, I'll just have to explain what dummy linking is in words for now and wait for the mechanics post to show it in pictures. Dummy linking is the process by which duplicate dolls or cores can be used to permanently upgrade your dolls by giving them an extra body to control via digimind shenaniganry, giving them increased damage, HP, etc. Resource consumption is also increased accordingly. It's pretty vital that you do this ASAP, as the damage boost/tanking ability from dummy linking trumps stuff like rarity or extra levels (to an extent). Handguns also gain increased tile buffs for every dummy link they have. As said earlier, it gives you a use for any duplicate copies of a T-Doll you have lying around. If you don't have dupes and you still want to dummy link, however, you can always expend cores. Cores are a currency you get from retiring dolls of rating 3* or above, the more the better your return. This is the main source of cores, along with daily/weekly quests and one-time gold medal rewards. You can't whale for them directly. I'll get into more specifics in a mechanics post, but as the Super Sorority is made up of pretty rare dolls, I had to expend cores on them. The things I do for this LP.

Before I forget, you can dummy link at levels 10, 30, 70 (needs 2 dupes) and 90 (needs 3 dupes), meaning that you need 7 dupes (or a variable bunch of cores depending on rarity) and a lot of grinding to fully upgrade your doll of choice.

: It's like looking into a mirror.
: Kinda spooky. I like it!
: Dummy, go get me a juice!
: Bren Ten.
: What do you mean, I don't have to say it out loud?
: Hey, guys? I think my dummy is kinda... off.

:
code:
friends = ["MT-9","CZ805","Bren-Ten","SSG-69"]
for i in friends:
     print("Hello!")
: OK, who's the joker who programmed this dummy in Python 3.7 in the year of our Lord 2062?
: Is that weird?
: We're on Python 6.5 by now!
: Oh dear.

Chapter 1-1e: Advanced Training I

A remote call at Griffin Control.

: What you need to do today is participate in a special training.
: Your performance was very commendable for a rookie.
: But under such unusual circumstances, we don't have much time for you to accumulate practical experience, which is why HQ has drawn up an additional training regimen for you to help you familiarize yourself with your duties.
: We've placed enemy simulations on your first battlefield based on previous battle records.
: It may be the same field, but the enemy troops greatly outnumber those in your previous battles.
: Work hard and prove yourself. Only then will we feel secure in investing more capital on you.

: Check out those x2s on our namecards. Dummy links are pretty snazzy, huh?
: No breaking the fourth wall whilst out on mission, CZ-805.

: I have some veterans training up some new recuits who are going to join you as your support squad. Play nice now, and don't let their big guns scare you.
: How big are we talking, Commander?
: Very.

The usual opening moves. I start beelining the helipad. The nice thing about this emergency map is that unlike the original, the mobs do move, so with luck and knowledge of the aggro rules (I lack both), you can give yourself leeway in getting gold medals.

*The 530 scout runs into the Super Sorority*

This is what dummy links look like on the battlefield. Eventually we'll have a full V-formation at x5.

:
code:
import target_scan
import fire_commands

x_coord = range(180)
y_coord = range(180)
target_coords = target_scan.scanner()
for i in x_coord:
	for j in y_coord:
		if i == target_coords.x:
			if j == target_coords.y:
				fire_commands.fire()
			else:
				continue
		else:
			continue
: No, seriously, who coded this?

Machine guns and shotguns both have clip sizes (I know the rest do in real life, but these two are the only ones affected by it in-game). Machine guns fire with a fixed rate of fire, after which they have to perform a lengthy reload (MG RoF affects how quickly they reload). SGs don't have a fixed RoF, but must still reload. This means that for best DPS you want machine guns to kill everything in one volley (outside of very specialised circumstances).

: I hope you two are learning something whilst you're here.
: Permission to speak candidly, Sergeant?
: Permission granted.
: Not really, these are pretty low-ranking SF here.
: Well, treat it as target practice then.

*The 520 Ripper runs into the MGSG team, taken down with little fanfare*

: Always nice to have a clear home stretch.
: You just want to save on clothes repair fees.
: You're not wrong.

: Ok, newbies, review time. Learn anything?
: Spray and pray?
: Top marks. Now give me 20 for improper terminology.
: Dammit.
: Don't blame me, blame the brass who want to call it "high-volume high-variance suppressive fire".
: Please don't put words in my mouth, Miss M2HB. I just asked you to eliminate all enemies and gave you a big ammo box.

Music: Home Formation

... Combat over.

: With such results, you'll be able to handle Sangvis raids of considerable scale.
: Still, Sangvis T-Dolls are great not only in numbers, but also in making unpredictable maneuvers.
: We'll do more focused practice next time. Dismissed.

Kalina's report: The commander was invited by Miss Helian to participate in a special operation drill.

Chapter 1-2e: Advanced Training II

: Then let's begin your new training mission without further ado.
: If memory serves, this is where you received your first assignment from Griffin, isn't it?
: How time flies...
: Ah... It's nothing. Best of luck, Commander.
: Helian, I literally just joined two weeks ago.

: Hey, USAS?
: Hmm?
: How's America? I've never been myself.
: I mean, neither have I.
: Aren't you from there?
: ... Did you think that the USA in my name stands for United States of America?
: Does it not?
: Let's keep those comm lines clear, ladies. We still have SF to kill.

*The 462 scout runs into SASS and leaves no trace.*

: You don't talk much, do you, Miss Ithaca?
: I tend to be taking too much gunfire to the face to hold a decent conversation.
: Point taken.

*Top scout attacks the MGSG and gets taken out, whilst the bottom moves one node north.*

: Hey, I got an idea.

: Guys! We're doing a Hamburg!
: Huh, I'm surprised they know about the Hamburg.
: What's a Hamburg?
: Tell you when you're older, kid.
: I've always preferred the Skopje myself.

: Y'know, we just did a Hamburg, but I still have no idea what we just did, really.
: Bren Ten.
: Best not to think about it right now. There's some SF right ahead.

: Still, I feel like my new experience has really pushed me forward.
: To a whole new level, even?
: What did I say about fourth wall breaking?

Nothing happens, they're all dead :toot:

: Man, this is heavy.
: Look, kid, just be glad you don't have to lug
this around. I think I need to go see Kalina about some new back actuators again.

Music: Home Formation

... Combat over.

: Hmm...?
: That's right. It was a test. So was your last mission, as are the next coming few.
: To repel Sangvis Ferri, we must select outstanding commanders...
: And make them into some sort of... 'tactical reserve'.
: Uh... Don't worry. We're not gonna turn you into canned food.
: It's just that when the situation calls for it, we may delegate operations that are more urgent to you.
: It entails great responsibilities, Commander, so please be prepared.
: After all, Sangvis Ferri won't wait for us.

Kalina's report: This drill seems to have something to do with talent scouting. Looks like Griffon has very high hopes for our commander.

: Hey, has anyone seen a T-Doll dummy around? I was messing around with some pre-war coding techniques on it so it's not exactly battle-ready.
: Oops.

Next: Chapter 1 Emergency, Part 2

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 12, 2019

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

: Man, this is heavy.
: Look, kid, just be glad you don't have to lug
this around. I think I need to go see Kalina about some new back actuators again.

I guess she needs a fellow t-doll who can understand her pain. Maybe a dushka and/or kpv doll in her echelon? :v:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
LWMMG is being a cool squad leader and that is a cool development from her original role as Two-Star Starter MG for lowbies just graduating from early-game :3:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

LWMMG is being a cool squad leader and that is a cool development from her original role as Two-Star Starter MG for lowbies just graduating from early-game :3:

I need to figure out a way to gel it with her mod3 storyline whenever that comes out :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mechanics: Stats and Skills

Stats

Like pretty much all other games, T-Dolls have stats that determine how good they are at one thing or another.

: Health Points (HP). I hope I don't have to explain this one to you guys.
: Firepower (FP). Determines how much damage each shot does. A lot of damaging skills work off of this stat as well.
: Rate of Fire (RoF). Determines how fast your doll shoots (for MGs/SGs, it determines reload time). Has caps determined by gun category.
: Accuracy (Acc). Determines how often your doll can hit enemies, usually checked against their evasion stat.
: Critical Rate (CR). Determines how often your doll crits. A decent amount of skills proc off crits.
: Critical Damage (CD). Determines how much extra damage goes into each crit.
: Armour Penetration (AP). Determines how well your doll can pierce enemy armour, which we haven't encountered yet. It'll have to wait until our first night chapter. Pretty much the exclusive domain of RFs and MGs.
: Clip Size. Determines how many shots your doll can take before reload. Exclusive to MGs and SGs.
: Evasion (Eva). Determines how easily your doll avoids enemy shots. Most important for tank SMGs/HGs.
: Armour. Reduces damage taken. Pretty much exclusive to SGs.
: Movement Speed. Determines how fast your doll can move within the battle grid. Normally not super important until you get to the bosses where you actually have to dodge skills by moving about. MGs tend to be the slowest, with HGs as the fastest.

As your T-Dolls level up, you'll be able to enhance them to increase their core stats (HP, FP, RoF, Acc and Eva). More on that in the next mechanics post.

Skills

Every T-Doll also has an associated skill. These can be put to use(whether manually or via Auto-Skill) to change the tide of battle. Like stats and tile buffs, a good skill can make or break a T-Doll's ranking in the meta. All skills have a separate initial cooldown (time from battle start to first activation) and skill cooldown (time between skill activations). There's a bunch of different categories of skills, so let's see if I can break them down (note that this isn't going to be an exhaustive list).

Self-Buffs
Pretty self-explanatory. Increase one or more of your doll's stats. Cooldowns, buff potencies and buff durations are variable. Skills that are quicker to activate or that last longer tend to be balanced with a smaller buff. Buffs have diminishing returns, but I might be wrong on the maths about it. Can be found amongst all gun categories.

Group Buffs
Like self-buffs, but for everyone. Usually reserved for HGs, but there are a few exceptions.

Debuffs
These skills debuff all enemies. Unlike buffs, I don't believe that there are diminishing returns like stacking stats, so these skills work well in tandem with buffs. Unlike group buff skills, I'm pretty sure these are HG-exclusive.

Nukes/Bamboos
Hard-hitting single-shot skills normally used for boss killing. Usually called Bamboos thanks to Korean gaming slang. Mostly exclusive to RFs, with some HGs having their own versions with extra rules. Comes with extra aiming time after skill activation, so keep that in your calculations. RF bamboos can be split into two categories:
Big Bamboo: Larger damage multiplier, but a very long initial cooldown of 15s, along with a slightly longer aiming time. Usual pairing is NTW/M99.
Small Bamboo: Shorter activation time of 10s, at the cost of multiplier (x6 as compared to x8). Usual pairing is Springfield/Mosin Nagant.
Note that the numbers are specifically for those pairings. There are other bamboo RFs with different cooldowns and multipliers, but there's pretty much 0 reason to run them as a boss kill-team because they're strictly inferior to these 4, who are already niche. Sorry, ladies. Sorry, Super SASS :negative:

Grenades
You throw them, you get an AoE effect. Pretty simple. Not super great against bosses, generally. Only HGs, ARs and SMGs have them. There's a bunch of different types, so let's take them step by step.
Hand Grenade/Anti-Personnel Grenade: Basic grenade, deals AoE damage. Damage is calculated using FP, so you want to boost that as high as possible with group buff skills and tile buffs.
High-Explosive Grenade: An AR-exclusive type of grenade that has different damage multipliers based on how close to the landing point the enemy was. Near-universally poo poo and tends to be attached to dolls with lousy stats (I'm pretty sure the devs overestimated how good this skill is). Skip.
Molotov: A grenade with a small initial hit that creates a fire puddle on the ground with a DoT. Damage depends on how long the enemy stays in the fire, so it pairs well with...
Flashbang: A stun grenade. Stops enemies in their tracks. Generally pretty useful, but doesn't work on bosses.
Smoke Grenade: Puts a puddle of smoke on the ground that debuffs enemy accuracy and movement. Does actually work on bosses, which is very handy.
Flare: Lights up the battle, removing the night map 85% accuracy debuff which we haven't run into yet. Theoretically. The maths for the formula that it uses to calculate accuracy gain is borked up, so it can't even do its job right. Skip.

Force Shield
A skill exclusive to 3 SMGs (Thompson, G36c and MP5) that makes them completely invulnerable during the duration of the shield. Has a decently long initial cooldown, so they have to be tanky enough to survive to activation time. Generally pretty niche, but they excel within that niche (of facetanking huge hard-hitting attacks).

MG-exclusive Skills
Because MG DPS is so focused on killing all enemies during the first volley, MGs have a strict ranking that depends on their initial skill cooldown.
Passive: The best thanks to always being active from the first shot (except Negev because hers depends on reloading). The purview of the Big 4.
Hunting Impulse: An accuracy+ skill that guarantees critical hits for 6s. Kicks in at 3s, which is alright. Forms a solid 2nd tier of MGs.
Lock and Load: Increases damage and adds to the ammo clip, but takes 8s to take effect, which is already second volley territory. Only bring against super-tanky bosses. Self-buff MGs join them in the 3rd tier, as most of them also have an 8s initial cooldown.

SG Skills
Whilst a large amount of SGs are simple self-buffers, there are a few skills that crop up often (not that SGs are common in the first place).
Burst Impact: A mini-nuke that pushes back enemies. Good for giving your tank breathing room.
Shields: A skill that basically adds a second HP bar on top of the doll's regular one. SAT8's version of this skill is particularly bullshit (2s intial cooldown? Affects all other dolls on the frontline???), which makes her a highly-sought SG. Too bad she's rare as gently caress.

Night Skills
A modifier thrown onto certain skills that signifies that on night maps, the skill gets a massive boost in effectiveness. We'll see more of these in use when we get to night maps, which won't be for a while TBH.

Weird poo poo
As Mica continues to develop the game, the skills they put into newer dolls tend to get more imaginative and push game mechanics more as compared to buffs. There's a ton of these esoteric skills, and I can't describe them all, so go check out the GFL wiki or something.

Upgrading Skills

Skills can be upgraded as well, starting from level 1 up to 10. How do you upgrade them, you ask? Well let's head to the Combat menu.

This here is the Combat Simulation tab. I recorded this on a Friday, so it's currently in Data Mode, which is where we get the currency to upgrade skills, amongst other stuff. Yes, this stuff is time gated, in multiple ways. See that Sim Energy timer at the top? Every 2 hours you gain one sim energy, which you can then spend on simulations. Combine that with the day restrictions and the bullshit amount of data needed to upgrade a skill fully, and you will see that skill upgrades are a long and arduous road. You will treat skill data like crack, no doubts about it.

I have 2 sim energy, and I need a bunch of intermediate data, so I click on Intermediate Training, which brings up this screen. The goal is to kill that dummy in as quick a time as possible, getting more rewards for a shorter time. You're going to want to put in your team with the most up-front damage possible, which usually means an MGSG echelon.

Goodbye, 2 sim energy. You will be missed.

Here's what it looks like on the inside. You can see the timer on the top right counting down from 30. Pray that your dolls can fill the dummy with as many bullets as possible.

Here's the breakshown screen. Normally I only get 94 data, so the extra 1 data is nice.

Popping out to the main menu and into the Research menu, this is where we actually spend the skill data. If we tap one of them...

We get a list of all our dolls who don't already have skill level 10. I prefer to order them by skill level here, so I change that in the menu. Too bad it doesn't save your choices.

I want to get M99 to SL10 in preparation for the next big story event, so I tap on her. 18 hours of waiting for her to finish training :negative: I could spend a Quick Training Contract to finish this immediately, but you only get one of those for free per month and I'm not in that much of a rush. If you treat data like gold, treat quick trainings like diamonds.

And now to play the waiting game.

I borrowed this table from the GFL wiki to show how long it'll take for you to max out a skill. That's 600 basic, 1020 intermediate and 500 advanced data total to get one skill to SL10. Moral of the story is, run intermediate as much as possible, really. It's rare when you need to bring a skill beyond 8 to function well. Also, the maximum amount of advanced data you can get in a day without whaling out is about 200, so gently caress that :v:

Hope you guys have learnt a lot about stats and skills, and hopefully this hasn't been too complicated.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I groan every time I realize I missed using up sim energy from capsule days for data days because that's a lot of sim energy being wasted. :negative:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Danann posted:

I groan every time I realize I missed using up sim energy from capsule days for data days because that's a lot of sim energy being wasted. :negative:

:same:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Latest update gave us a whole new client, with a whole new auto-battle UI. I'll make sure to update the mechanics post with some shots once I get some recording done.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The new client is incredibly dope and slick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

With the next event coming up, you've got your work cut out for you.