Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

You missed an M4 icon at the Hunter discussion by the way.

Thanks. I'll fix it with a stopgap measure for now, and I'll have the proper icon in later.

Edit: Update on the previous page, folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
wawa please don't physically explode

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Suddenly I imagine her talking like the parents from Snoopy whenever she gets really angry.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Walther 2000 would definitely play a trombone in the next orchestra concert

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Sop here is why I installed the voice pack, it really does help characterize her to hear her lines. Text does not really sell just how much of a murder-puppy Sop is like the voicework does.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The official manga brings out Sop's character in force for this chapter. Sop saves M3 during the base defense, literally tears the head off the Sangvis doll that was about to attack her off-screen and then traumatises the poo poo out of poor grease gun by cheerily greeting her while still holding the torn-off head (pixelated in the picture) at her side. Sop is just such an adorable ball of sunshine and bloody murder. :allears:

Walther 2000 would definitely play a trombone in the next orchestra concert

IIRC she canonically plays the viola. And yes, she has a hitman-style insert for her viola case to carry the rifle inside it instead.

Magni fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 2, 2019

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
She's got that tie for a reason.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I wouldn't be surprised if it's not, but was the Lee-Jackie dialogue a couple updates ago a reference to the outtakes of Rush Hour 2?

+1

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

: Oh, and schedule some sex-ed classes for those three dolls in Mosin's echelon.
: At once, commander.

*A few hours later in the G&K HQ lecture hall.*

: ...
: I bloody knew it!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

booksnake posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not, but was the Lee-Jackie dialogue a couple updates ago a reference to the outtakes of Rush Hour 2?

Glad someone caught it :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Relevant:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Been meaning to watch that at some point, instead I stumbled upon 404 Radio and was moderately impressed by it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chapter 3, Part 3: Hangover Cure

Chapter 3-5: Swift Counterattack

Another new seasonal login screen, now out of season. In an attempt to get the English servers more in parity with the Chinese/Korean/Taiwanese servers, Mica has accelerated some costume sets to show up earlier in the English servers. For whatever reason, this plan involves putting the Japanese New Year-themed costumes up in Late August. I dunno either. The art was done by Isao (SFW as far as I can tell), who has also done the art for Contender and the Carcano sisters.

Music: Frontline

: Thanks to you, the Sangvis Ringleader lurking in Area S09 has finally been identified.
: SP721 'Hunter' is a highly dangerous Sangvis T-Doll.
: We must launch an immediate search and make preparations for follow-up actions.
: Other Griffin troops will also prepare to surround her.
: We're handing this important mission to you.

: Urghhhh, my head...
: Close call there, chaps.
: Huh, surprisingly okay...
: Guys! The truck!

The girls look over at the truck, which is in surprisingly good condition considering it just ran into a tree.

: Guess my force shield kicked in on time.

Mosin stretches her arms behind her back.

: Ahhh. Welp, time to get driving ag-oof!
: Nu-uh.
: No way.
: G36c, you drive.
: Huh?! Me?! I don't know how to drive!
: That's better than this dipshit. Strap in, and I can run you by the basics, at least.

: Hey! HEY! Are you guys okay?
: I think it would help if you said that into your earpiece, boss.
: Are you guys okay?! I heard a big crash!
: Wawa, thank you for your concern, but I'm trying to teach someone how to drive here.
: Yes, grab that lever. No, the other one.
: Byebye.
: You guys have been DRIVING?! Do you know how dangero-

The line cuts off.

: ... Urgh. Keep an eye out for them.
: Sure. Energy bar?
: Yes, thank you, SVD.

: Look, I'm just saying that if you hadn't drunk that shoe polish then we wouldn't be in this mess.
: I could say the same about you.
: Push down on that pedal on the right. Ah, wait, crap, this is manual. Push the-
: Yes, well, I'm naturally responsible when drunk, unlike you guys.
: You definitely can't be considered responsible.
: Okay, then whilst you're pushing that pedal, move the-
: I'm just saying, you should think of others when you're inebriated.
: Hahhh?! Look at who's talking, you, you-
: EVERYONE EXCEPT LEE SHUT THE gently caress UP OR I WILL CRASH THIS TRUCK AGAIN.
: Sorry.
: ... Anyway, press the accelerator a bit. Other pedal. Good work, poppet. Now...

: Okay, let's head towards the nearby supply depot. We can't do much without ammunition.
: Pity it all blew up just now.

To keep the helipad on the left safe from being captured, I made Mosin's echelon double back towards the helipad. It would also help keep them within supply range just in case they do need to resupply, along with expanding the amount of nodes captured. I can't guarantee that that enemy unit on the bottom middle of the screen won't move upwards and capture the node above it, which would surround Mosin if I had left her two nodes northwest.

: (Crap, this is awkward. Quick, think of something interesting to talk about that won't trigger any landmines.)
: So... uh, what were you guys doing before you joined Griffin?
: I was a teacher's assistant.
: Oh, were the kids nice?
: Eh, some were. I left because the rest wouldn't stop calling me a robot.
: Oh.
: (Crap crap crap, that was totally a landmine.)

: ... I can definitely shoot out their tires from here.
: Eh, I think they've sobered up quite a bit. Do it if they start swerving everywhere or something.
: If you say so.

: I used to work with children too.
: Huh, really? I guess you do look like you would be nice with kids.
: Mhm. My sister and I were working with a well-off family. She was the maid, I was the babysitter.
: Sounds nice and cushy.
: Hmm... The parents were quite nice, the children not so much. We didn't have discipline permissions so there was only so much we could do.
: It mostly started off with gum in my hair when they were young, and it just got worse as they got older.
: Eventually I quit, and my sister followed me. We found a poster recruiting for Griffin, and here we are.
: Huh, that sucks.
: Well, I'm pretty happy here.

: Hey, this scenery looks... familiar.
: Still on training wheels. I'd rather we get G36c to circle us around the supply depot and clear out Sangvis, give her some practice.
: We going to pull out a P sticker too?
: Oh, if only.
: Look, sorry I drive slowly okay?!

: Is it my turn for my origin story?
: Eh, sure.
: Something about working in a church, right?
: Yep! I was a pretty good janitor, kept that place sparkling from top to bottom.
: Why did you come over to Griffin then?
: Well, one of the members of the congregation got a bit too drunk before service and touched my butt.
: Ewwww.
: I instinctively turned around and slapped him so hard I shattered his jaw.
: Nice.
: Being made out of metal has its perks.
: Anyway, turns out he was a senator and wanted me decommissioned and sent to the scrap heap, so the church priest helped me out and smuggled me onto a boat headed to the old world.
: Made my way across Europe, and here I am.

: Everyone resupply. We've got a lot of Sangvis to take down to keep this command node safe.

It can be a bit tough to see properly, but I'm moving WA2000 1) SE to the command node, 2) SE to the dinergate, 3) NW back to the command post and then 4) E to the guard. I've also moved Mosin NW one. Maybe next time I'll actually highlight the routes properly.

: How about you, Mosin? You mentioned a friend called Jackie or something?

Mosin gulps down the rest of her vodka.

: ... I don't really want to talk about Jackie.
: Oh, uh, okay.
: (Why are they ALL landmines?!)

: How much ammo do you guys have, Lee?
: Uhh.... Not much. Why?
: Swap places with us. We've cleared this area out. Just watch out for paradroppers.

Mosin's echelon only has one stack of ammo left, and she's next to two enemy units. I can't guarantee that the one on the right will engage her on the enemy turn. If it did, then I have a straight shot to the enemy command post. If the left one comes down instead, then I'll have to swap with WA2000 and have her fight the unit along with capping the post, and I want our main protagonists to do that, dammit. In order to solve this issue, I swap the echelons this turn. The only potential enemy that Mosin would have to fight is if an enemy spawns on that bottom middle helipad.

Turns out the unit on the right did move down, so I did that swap for no real reason. Oh well, better safe than sorry. A unit did spawn from that enemy helipad on the bottom middle, so Mosin has to fight something and use up the last of her ammo anyway.

: Swap back and get yourselves to the enemy command post, Lee.
: Uh, mate, you know we're out of ammo, right?
: We cleared everything out. Just go already!

: Your turn, K5.
: Huh? What?
: What's your sob story?
: Oh. Right.
: I was a fry cook at a fried chicken shop. My co-workers and manager were pretty nice, even.
: And?
: I just hated smelling like fried chicken all day.

: ... That's it?
: What do you mean, "that's it"?
: Where's the traumatic moment that spurred you on to quit your job and join Griffin?!
: Look, do you know how hard it is to get the smell of cooking oil out of synthskin? I did a few odd jobs between here and Griffin. Office worker, fortune teller, the like.
: Eventually a recruiter for Griffin showed up in Seoul and I said sure, why not.
: That's disappointingly normal.
: Well, sorry my life didn't kinda suck before coming here.
: Ah, you'll have plenty of opportunities now that you're here.
: Park over here, G36c. We're at the command post.

Music: Battle

Scouting in progress...

: Oh? Is that brat here as well?
: In any case, as you've probably guessed, I have AR-15.

: Humph. More like it's part of my hunting strategy.
: Griffin can't take this place in short notice anyway. There's no point in keeping up this stalemate.
: Drop your weapon and surrender to me, M4A1, and you can have AR-15.
: Now here's some proof...

Click.

Click.

: I believe her words will make you give the response that I want.
: Don't put your money on Griffin. They have no way of coming in.

Kalina's report: HQ ordered us to search for the local Sangvis Ringleader's base. It's pretty eyecatching, all right, but we just can't get in...

Chapter 3-6: No Hunting

Music: Sad

: Have you made up your mind, M4?

: If it were AR-15, she'd do the same.
: She definitely would, but you're not her.
: You're the commander of the AR Team. You have the responsibility to lead us, don't you?
: I...

Music: Danger

...!! An alarm went off in the control center.

: That is... the emergency assemble signal!

Meanwhile, Griffin Control, Area S09.

: The Sangvis troops suddenly went out of control, taking most of their units out of action.
: We don't know the cause of their malfunction, but this is undoubtedly the perfect chance to attack.
: Move out immediately. Find Hunter and finish her!

Music: MADE IN HEAVEN

: So, uh, team leaders. We've now got an opening into the enemy's until-now-impregnable base... somehow.
: I don't really know why, and frankly, it doesn't really matter. What we
need to do is to get in that base, take down Hunter and rescue ST AR-15.
: I trust you two will be fine handling this mission?
: Yes, Commander.
: *raises her hand* Commander Gentiane!
: Uh, yes, WA2000?
: What about Mosin's echelon? They're in the area somewhere.
: ... You know what, I'm sure they'll pop up nearby. If you run into them just tell them to patrol and clear the area of fleeing SF or something.
: Dismissed!

: Ah, bugger.
: We're out of booze.
: poo poo.
: What's wrong? We kinda needed to sober up anyway.
: Sober Mosin.
: I hate sober Mosin.
: I hate sober Mosin.
: Why, what's wrong with sober Mosin?
: She's depressingly Russian.

: Does everyone have their ration packs?
: Yep!
: Ah, wait, I need to stretch first. Oof~

: Hey, how come they get lines?
: They actually show up in future chapters, I guess.

: Huh, looks like there's a big party.
: I guess there's a mission going on right now.
: Weren't we supposed to come here for our original mission?
: ... You know, I don't actually remember what our original mission was.
: M1911, give me your secret vodka, pleaseeeeee
: Ow! Goshdarnit, Mosin, for the last time I do not have a secret stash of vodka in my boobs!

: WA2000, is your echelon in place?
: We are in position, G36.
: Okay. Start moving towards the base in 5 minu-
: Oh, hey, G36. Fancy seeing you out in the field.
: Sis, is that you?
: C?! Where have you been?! I have been extremely worried about-
: I will speak with you back at base, G36c. For now, we have work to do.

Starting off with 3 helipads is quite nice. G36 goes W and then SE to clear the immediate threats around our command post, Mosin goes SE then W, whilst WA2000 goes SE twice.

: Worried about your sister running with a bad crowd?
: Perhaps.
: Eh, they're not that bad, that trio. If you're really worried I can go have a talk with her later in the dorms.
: *sigh* Hopefully she hasn't been influenced too much by them.

: Muahahaha! It's good to be back!
: I'm sure it - hup! - is when you don't have to - oof! - dodge a lot of bullets. Ow!

: Still got it.

: Ah, alcohol. Truly God's gift upon this land to provide us succor in our darkest of hours.
: Psst, G36c. Do you have any boob vodka?
: Excuse me?!

: Do you know why we drink, young K5? There is a limit, you know. A limit to the damage the repair chambers can fix. And so, this is why we self-medicate...
: We get it, Mosin. You're terribly depressed and have PTSD. So do the rest of us.
: Ah, I knew you would understand, comrade Lee.

: Double time, team! We need to get to the enemy base before Mosin does and screws it all up for the rest of us.

: Boss! Some SF snuck around behind us!
: Ah, crap. Defensive positions, everyone.

: Huh, haven't seen one of those before.
: It's shooting rockets at your head, boss.
: Yes, I did notice that.

Jaguars are artillery units that sit behind other SF units and pepper your back row with rockets. It will usually be the only way your back-row ARs/RFs get damaged. They'll be out of range of your units if you don't have any dolls in the rightmost column (remember that that determines your shooting range), so if you really need to take them out quick then move your tanks forward a row. If you're using RFs it should be automatically targetted by them. For an ARSMG echelon, if you're quick enough, your ARs will take it down before tankier enemies move in front of it, as Jaguars are stationary and start off already on the field.

: So you just want me to... drive into the enemy base?
: Yes.
: ... But how?
: Find an opening.
: I think I saw a ramp over to the east.
: East it is then. Steady on the wheel, helmsman.

: (I'm surprised this stupid piece of poo poo van is still working with all the SF shooting at it. Not to mention the tree.)

The van makes a disconcerting noise somewhere between "kerthunk" and "whrrrp"

: ... (Maybe I'll stop insulting the van.)

: Eastern side clear.
: Getting some rage out, G36?
: ... You could call it that.
: I'm sure she's fine. She's with that K5 girl, she seemed pretty sensible.
: Let's hope you're right.

G36 goes SE one, Mosin E twice and WA2000 S once. This will capture us 3 heliports in one turn. Not that I really need all those movement points.

: OH, IT'S SO GOOD TO BE BACK.

: Oh, come on, G36, she's been a really good girl!
: Truly, she has been a guiding light in this world.
: She's great! Really nice! Learning how to drive!
: She's been a really good friend.

G36 sighs, a small smile on her face.

: What do you want for dinner tonight, C?

G36 and WA2000 clear up the enemies not directly on the path to Hunter to make up the kill count for an S rank, whilst Mosin goes straight for the kill.

: There! That's the ramp I was talking about!
: Okay, G36c, you know how I said that the faster you go the higher the gear you need to be in?
: Yes?
: Well, time to punch it. Let's see how fast this ugly mug can go.

: West side clear!
: East side clear too.
: Team Mosin, you're free to proceed.
: Proceeding!

: And so, we enter the belly of the beast.
: She shoots a lot better when she's sober, at least.
: That's the only good thing about Sober Mosin, really.

: So, ST AR-15, it has come to this.
: Good, I was getting tired of playing hide and seek.
: There's nowhere left to hide for you, in any case.
: Enough toying aroun-

A tinny car horn echoes through the halls of the SF base.

: That's a good trick, trying to distract me with noise.
: What? I thought that was you.

Around the bend at the end of the hallway, a pair of broken headlights illuminates the scene.

: Drive straighter so I can get a better shot on her!
: I'm trying! The walls are really narrow!

A wing mirror gets clipped off by a doorframe, flying off behind the van.

: Impact in 3!
: Brace yourselves!
: 2!
: Reminds me of Nova Stalingrad.
: 1!

As with most other bosses, Hunter comes with a bunch of fodder that you'll want to clear before you can fight her properly. Unfortunately, I've goofed up with this composition. RFs target from the back to the front, so they'll be stuck shooting at Hunter herself for a while instead of clearing the field. HGs target randomly, and these two don't have the greatest DPS anyway. This just leaves G36c to take on the SF frontliners, and she can't do that much damage either. This comes back to bite me in the rear end.

I move G36c forwards a bit to try and get the Jaegers to focus on her, and then move her back before they fire so that she moves out of their firing range and they are forced to move forwards again. This is called kiting, and I bungled it by doing it way too late. The Jaegers were way too close at this point and just shot her anyway.

At this point I panic a bit and retreat G36c too early, just as her invulnerability shield comes online :v: K5 is now the tank, and whilst she might be able to pull it off if she was level 80 and had an equipment slot for a tank exoskeleton unlocked, she currently does not.

: Sorry guys! I can't handle this anymore!

The Prowlers and Scouts on the bottom row are now attacking Lee, which she doesn't handle very well. The RFs are still shooting Hunter, and there's no good way to force them to retarget. Hunter, by the way, doesn't really have any special moves. She just fires her handguns really quickly.

: This was not in my job description!

: I'm out! Game over! Game over!

Oops.

This ain't looking good.

I manually retreat M1911 because Hunter is shooting at her and I know that she won't last more than 3 hits.

: That's it, I'm getting out of here.

: Well, there goes my favourite outfit.

Mosin manages to take down Hunter. Too little, too late, as the Prowlers on the bottom row making it past the backline. This forces an automatic full retreat.

: Hmm. All alone. Again, I'm reminded of Nova Stalingrad...

*sad trombone noises*

: Did everyone make it out okay?
: Man... never.... ran that fast.... before....
: I'm really sorry for leaving you guys behind!
: Nah, it's cool. You don't have the experience to do a good judgement call on that sorta stuff yet.
: Ah, there you all are. I have found a way back to the helipad outside. There are G&K repair kits there.
: Thanks, Sober Mosin.

When an echelon retreats from a non-helipad node for any reason, they lose all their ammo and ration stacks. Think of it as a penalty for bad tactical/strategic decisions.

: Well, ladies, are you willing to die for the Motherland and march straight into the enemy's home once again?
: I don't like the dying bit, but yeah!
: Yeah!

: Forward! March! Death! And! Gloryyyyyyyyy!

If you re-engage a boss after failing a prior fight with them, they'll stay at whatever HP they had when that fight ended, but everything else (position, escort etc) will reset. I believe Hunter gets brought back with minimal HP this fight because I actually took her out last fight.

: You five again?! Who even are you?!
: The greatest soldiers of the Neo Soviet Union! Prepare to die, capitalist!
: Uh, yeah, what she said.

Down goes Hunter. HG targeting RNG is also being a lot nicer to me by focusing a bit more on the Prowlers. I also let G36c tank properly this time around :v:

: We... we did it?
: We did it!
: Good job, kids.
: Nice one!
: Well done, comrades. The Secretary himself will give you a-

Mosin falls over in an undignified heap.

: zzz...
: I was wondering when that was going to happen.
: Is she okay?
: She always falls asleep after being sober too long.
: Doesn't sound very healthy.
: It's not. Anyway, let's go home.

: zzz... Why, thank you Mr Secretary... zzz...

: Sis, I did it, I took down a Ringleader!
: You what?!
: Lee, how could you let her do something so dangerous?!
: Relax, G36, she did fine. No complications whatsoever.
: Not even the complications where you seemed to be sewing your clothes back together as you ran into the base?
: Hahaha. Wawa, you joker, you.
: zzz... Ah, Mr Secretary, not the rifle butt!... zzz...
: Anyway, what's for dinner, G36?
: I'd like schweinshaxen!
: Then dinner is schweinshaxen.
: I kind of wanted weiswurst...
: Dinner is schweinshaxen.
: No chance of a nice Sunday roast?
: It is Thursday and you smell like cheap vodka. I have no obligation to listen to you. Dinner. Is. Schweinhaxen.
: Alright, alright, let's head back to base and argue about dinner there.

Music: Battle

Sangvis Control.

: Well there was that truck full of T-Dolls that I didn't recognise that crashed into us, but also...
: I modified your command from within your own system, causing this mayhem.
: Impossible. You don't have Sangvis authorization!
: It's a skill I picked up without even noticing. Came in quite handy, didn't it?
: Maybe I'm actually special. What do you think, Hunter?
: Don't tell me... You deliberately let yourself get caught?

: Of course, now you will be thoroughly silenced, Sangvis.
: I don't really want people to know about that really humiliating debacle anyway.

One hour later, at the rendezvous point.

: M4, if this commotion hadn't happened, were you really going to trade yourself for me?
: I... I do not know...
: I don't care what you were thinking, M4A1. You're the leader. Don't make stupid decisions next time.
: But I...
: We each have our own responsibilities, M4A1, and that means sometimes we don't have a choice.
: Not to mention M16 is still awaiting rescue.
: Yes... I will think things through more carefully next time.
: Ooooh, AR-15 just said something really cool!
: ... Come here. Let me tell you something.
: Wait! I haven't even said anything!
: You won't need to. I'm gonna shut you up for good.
: M4! Commander! Help!
: ... *sighs*

Kalina's report: Hunter's base fell into disarray all of a sudden, then AR-15 emerged from within, covered in injuries. What on earth happened in there...?

Meanwhile, in the G&K dorms...

: zzz... Oh, Madame Secretary, you shouldn't have... zzz...

Commander Gentiane looks over Mosin's sleeping form with her arms crossed, tapping her foot.

: Hmm... Whatever shall I do with you, Mosin...

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I was half expecting them to beat Hunter by just running her over in their vehicle.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sadly I don't think the game would allow you to do that as awesome as it sounds.

Time to send Mosin to the Gulag AA meeting as punishment.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Am I going to have to cry about what happened to Jackie...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Am I going to have to cry about what happened to Jackie...

https://twitter.com/SoppoTwoJr/status/1177041115389857792?s=09

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mechanics: Point Events

Some T-Dolls are special. They can't be crafted in the gacha and they're not drops on maps. They're not even clear rewards for story events. Instead, these dolls are obtained via one-off events. These events often involve a minigame of some sort, or at least something that will take you out of your daily routine. Note that these events aren't the exclusive domain of fancy rare T-Dolls. Sometimes it's a costume reward instead. For this mini-update, we'll be looking at point events.

If the big popup on login (sorry, didn't capture this) doesn't get you clicking it as hard as possible, you can find it on the main screen just above the event scroller on the bottom left.

Music: Random Variable

Here's what the point events screen looks like. As you can see, the main reward of the event is the 5* T-Doll SRS, an RF that I'm probably not going to use too much, to be honest.

This is what one of the point treshold rewards looks like, specifically the 2400 point one. Each point threshold package gives a decent smattering of resource rewards, on top of the main reward of the event that is always at 1800 points. Note the Challenger Medal reward in this package. It's just an e-peen measurement that you can show off in your player profile. FYI, literally the only reward in the 3000 points package is a challenger medal. It's 100% unnecessary to get.

How do you get points, you ask? By doing quests, of course. These range from the piss easy (log in to the game) to reasonable (spend X amount of resources or clear X map 5 times) to ridiculous (spend 1000 tokens, a resource that accumulates really slowly). Every week a new set of quests opens up, so you have 3 weeks to get everything done which is pretty reasonable. It's generally pretty easy to get 1800, and even 2400 points, so missing out on the good rewards shouldn't be too much of a worry unless you've literally just started.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

One weird trick in these events (if you're a weirdo who really has to optimize these things) is to not claim the battery award until the quest that asks for gathering batteries opens up. The batteries gained from the reward counts towards the quest.

Another normal trick for this event is if there's a quest asking you to give gifts out, you can use combat reports instead. Each combat report counts as one gift which means you can easily reach 100 gifts given.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chapter 3, Part 3.5: Bitter Oranges

quote:

The city of Nova Stalingrad was covered in a white veil of snow, slowly falling flake by flake. It was a quiet day, for a city in crisis. But in this small corner of the big city, it was quiet and still. Two dots of colour punctuate the white snow and grey buildings, one blonde, one a light brown. The brown dot slowly shakes, revealing a young face with green eyes hidden under snow, a grimy white hat and a mass of bangs stuffed into it. The figure wraps her arms around herself, drawing her ratty jacket closed, and shivers.
"Why is it so cold today?", she forced through chattering teeth.
"It is only -15 degrees Celcius today. Higher than the weekly average."
The blonde woman next to her looked more like a snowman under the snow piled up on her, with most of her head and body underneath a thick layer of it. Two eyeholes let her see out into the street they were guarding.
"Well, it feels a lot worse to me. How are you able to stay warm under all that snow?"
"I have warming coils installed inside me which keeps my internals at a comfortable temperature."
"Does this mean that if I hug you you'll keep me warm?"
"No. The energy radiating outwards is minimised for efficiency. It would be a waste otherwise."
"Oh, phooe."
The snowman opens a pouch on her waist and searches, breaking the layer of snow around her. She hands a small plastic rectangle to her friend.
"Here, Jackie. There was a handwarmer in my ration kit, but I don't need it."
"Oh, thank God. Mosin, you're a lifesaver."
Mosin nods, returning to her watch.

As the hours passed, the wind picked up, and what was a gentle sprinkling of snow turned into a snowstorm.
"Mosin! Let's wait inside the store behind us!" Jackie had to raise her voice above the wind, which was howling through the narrow streets.
"But... but we are keeping watch of the road-"
"We can watch the road from
inside the store! C'mon, before I freeze to death!"
Jackie pulls the reluctant Mosin into the abandoned grocery store behind them, fighting the wind to close the door. Eventually, it slams shut.
"Phew. I'm feeling warmer already. Mosin, you can go back to watching the road out the window. I'll look for a lamp or something."
Mosin nods, returning to her watch, watching the flurry of snow outside paint the whole world white.
"Found one!" Jackie returns, slightly dusty and carrying a grimy lamp. "Come, you're not going to be seeing anything out there anyway."
Mosin walked over to the dust-covered counter as Jackie lit the lamp using matches. Soon, a small flame illuminated the store in a warm glow, a refuge from the snowstorm outside.
"Check out what I found as well." Jackie places a box on the counter. Mosin leans in and squints at in in the dim light.
"... Oranges?"
"From Greece! All the way from Greece! They're still fresh, the owners must have received it right before they left."
"Mhm."
"Should we try some?"
"... I've never had oranges before."
"Well then." Jackie rummages in her pockets and pulls out a small coin. "... Mosin, do you have 500 rubles you can lend me?"
"Why? The owners are not here."
"Well, we have to pay, anyway. It's just right."
Mosin has a quick rustle in her pockets. "Here."
"Perfect. Here, one orange for you, miss customer."
In the flickering light of the lamp, they peel the oranges and eat it segment by segment. Mosin's blue eyes widen. In her three months of service, she had never tasted anything so sweet.
"Hmm. Not quite as sweet as the ones back home, but I'll take them."
"Where's home for you, Jackie?"
"Oh, did I not tell you before? I'm from Tblisi, in Georgia. It's nice and warm there." She gestures out the window. "Unlike that hellhole outside."
Mosin looks out the window, then turns back to Jackie.
"Tell me more about Tblisi."
"Well..."

: Wake up!
: Wake up!
: Hmm?
: Urgh...
: Huh? What?
: Quiet down...
: My head...
: Commander wants to see you all in ten minutes! Briefing room A!
: Seriously? Darn...
: Hey, Mosin, you alright? You look like you're crying.
: Oh, do I?

Mosin wipes her face.

: Thinking about something?
: I don't know. I don't remember. Something about... oranges?

In Briefing Room A...

: Thank you all for arriving so promptly, despite your hangovers.
: Now, as we all know, you five have definitely performed actions yesterday that, frankly, should probably end with the termination of your contracts. But, instead, I'll put you all to good use.
: Patrol duty. Under watch.
: Whilst your echelon patrols the area, I will be following you in a car driven by the lovely Type 79, who might I add has both an actual driving licence and actual long-distance driving experience.

Commander Gentiane gestures to Type 79, who waves at the group.

: Don't worry, I'll drive slowly. Don't feel like you're in a rush.
: Also SOPMOD II and ST AR-15 will be joining me in the car.
: Yay!
: Why us, commander?
: I just like to talk to our new recruits.
: If you say so, commander.
: Well then, meet at the compound gates in fifteen minutes. Get yourself some rehydration salts or something, I dunno. Dismissed!

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 6, 2019

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Oh man, that's a lot of characters!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh man, that's a lot of characters!

It's a gacha game, there's a billion characters :v:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Ibblebibble posted:

It's a gacha game, there's a billion characters :v:

More specifically, EN currently has 205 characters. CN has like 277 before event characters. Yeah.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

More specifically, EN currently has 205 characters. CN has like 277 before event characters. Yeah.

And I'm sure we'll have a chance seeing them all throughout this LP.

On a different quasi-related topic I want to like 404 radio but their lacklustre audio quality and voice direction who doesn't emphasize speaking clearly makes it kinda hard to listen to.

Also, rehydration salts? :raise:

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
You lose more than just water when you're severely dehydrated. I imagine rehydration salts are meant to replenish the electrolytes you've pissed away during your bender.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Next update might not be for a while, by the way. Whilst I have it recorded, I need to play through Chapter 10 and record a whole bunch of stuff before Singularity hits so that I can keep LP continuity. Them's the breaks!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It has been a month, but I am finally, finally, done with all the recording I needed to do before Singularity drops. Expect an update maybe by the weekend.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chapter 3, Part 4: Walk With Me

Another update, another loading screen (now several weeks out of date :v: ). As you can probably tell, this one's maid-themed. This was made when Suisai was still the main loading screen artist, but by the time this screen came out on EN they had already parted with Mica on uh, less than friendly terms. The artist drama is pretty amusing to look at from the sidelines and it's not very uncommon for gacha games in general, but a lot of it is rumours and hearsay and this thread is probably not the best place to discuss it.

Here's "Gentiane's escort" for the chapter. You can't actually take your commander out on the field with you, sadly. Too much radiation and zombie dogs, y'know. I don't need a full 5 because these girls are maxed out already. Don't worry, I still gently caress up.

Chapter 3-1e: Data Retrieval 1

Music: Home Formation

In a tactical control center in Area S09 under Griffin jurisdiction...

: So, Griffin has another important mission for us.
: No other commander knows Area S09 better than you, so no one could possibly beat you to the job.
: Like I said, we have a real edge here!

: But of course, Hunter isn't here anymore. Unless she could backup her neural cloud like our T-Dolls, that is.
: Anyway, time to roll up your sleeves, Commander!

: (Gosh, that's a pretty scary look on Mosin's face.)
: A-are you feeling alright, Mosin?
: ... No. Not really.
: O-oh. Right. Probably should have figured that you'd have a bad hangover too.
: No, it's not really that...
: ?
: Never mind. Let's just go.

: Do we really have to do this right now?
: Unfortunately, yes. We did go a bit wild yesterday.
: I'm too old for this crap.

: At least I can still shoot straight.

: Nice of the commander to give us some equipment, at least.
: Too bad for Lee and Mosin, though.

With the girls at level 45, I can finally slap some green equipment on them. A T-exo on G36c for extra evasion, and some suppressors for the HGs for similar purposes. Unfortunately for the RFs, all they can put in that first equipment slot is armour penetration (AP) ammo, which doesn't do anything to unarmoured enemies like on this map, so I just don't bother.

: ... So then I got really pissed off, and then beat it to death with my own arm.
: drat, that's cool! My arm just got ripped off. I did manage to replace it with the arm of the Sangvis scum who tore it off though! *grins*
: That's rad. ST AR-15, you got any cool war stories?
: None that I care to tell you.
: Phooey.
: Eyes on the road, 79. I'd rather not tip the car whilst we're tailing this lot.
: You have such little faith in me, Commander.

: Enemies sighted, Commander! Can I shoot them?!
: Sure. Just not directly through the windscreen, please.
: Aww, that's no fun.

: Doing good, STAR.
: Unlike SOPMOD, I really don't need praise for everything I do, Commander.
: Hey!
: Ah. Well, I really do mean it when I say it.

Swinging Mosin's echelon around the west side to build up killcount.

: Hey, Mosin?
: Can I ask a question that might be a bit awkward?
: I would rather you didn't ask, but I have the feeling that you will anyway.
: ... Why did you start drinking so much?
: ... Good question.

: You guys don't know?
: She's never told us anything.
: Miss Mosin can be very tight-lipped when it comes to her past. Even when she's deep in her cups.
: Yeah, all we really know is uh... Jackie? Some person called Jackie.

: What do you mean?
: I really don't remember why I started, exactly. I wish I did.
: I have many theories, but it has been so long.

: Was it to see what she felt like, before I last saw her?
: Was it because I was curious, to see why it gripped her so?
: Or perhaps it was to just punish myself, for not being able to help her when she really needed me to.
: I do not know. The truth is hidden to me behind the fog of time, amidst a veil of vodka.

FYI, enemies do spawn on the helipads on this map.

: Could I help you remember? If there's anything I can do...
: There is nothing you can do. You were not there. You do not remember it yourself.
: How can you help me find something when you do not know how it looks?

: I'm sorry, I was just hoping to help.
: It is fine. But you should not offer assistance so quickly and easily.
: You are bound by it. And if you fail to assist, well, then...
: Then...
: Well, then you end up like me.

: For now, I will not tell you more.
: Walk with me a while. Perhaps some other time, you will know.

My client kinda crapped out here, so there's no results screen. Rest assured that I got an S-rank.

... Combat over.

: ... Could it be a new Ringleader?!
: I'm sorry... I shouldn't have taken a job without your permission, Commander.
: I didn't expect this to happen...
: Huh? It's okay?
: It's an opportunity...?
: You're right, it's an opportunity! An opportunity to get stronger!
: Never thought you'd be the one to encourage me.
: We can take it one step at a time. Let's do our best together!

Kalina's report: I applied for this mission without consulting the commander, but the commander still decided to accept the challenge even though it was much harder than I expected. All the best!

Chapter 3-2e: Data Retrieval II

Music: Frontline

: The new Sangvis troops are quite a handful, but... don't panic.
: Let's begin... the operation... slowly... calmly...
: Huh? I-I'm very calm, you know!
: All right. I'll take care of the logistics. Go and look after the T-Dolls on the frontline!

: Urgh, this place again.
: My head hurts...
: Less complaining, more patrolling.

: Bright isn't it?
: Yeah.

: Hey, do you smell that?
: Is that... oranges?
: Yeah, something like that.

: Mosin, why are you staring at me like that?
: You are kind, you know.
: Uh... Thanks?
: The battlefield is not good for kind people.
: Oh. Well, uh, I guess I'll keep that in mind.

Mosin looks down on at the ground.

: If you want to be kind, then you have to be both strong and kind. No other way.

: ... And then M4 accidentally let off the smoke grenade!
: Hah! Yeah, the good ol' accidental grenade. Done that a few times.
: I really hope you're not going to demonstrate.
: Hey now, I know these roads like the back of my hand. Even if I did flashbang us, we should be fine.
: Should.

: She's been pretty quiet when she's not talking to G36c, hasn't she?
: I guess? I haven't seen Super Sober Mosin in a very long time.
: I'm not sure if we've ever seen her like this, really.
: Well, let's hope she works things out.

Ammo on Mosin's echelon is running a bit low, so I do your average swap-and-restock.

I'm aiming to surround-capture that helipad near the middle. Should be pretty simple.

The node with the Jaeger on it had a random popup which gave us an ambush, but as only one enemy can be on a node at one time it just takes some resources from us. Luckily at the time my rations were sky-high.

Mosin sniffed.

: Hmm. Oranges.
: Smells nice.
: Yes, I guess so.
: (I'm forgetting something important here. I just know it.)

: *sniff* Do you guys smell oranges?
: Now that you mention it, SOPMOD, yes.
: There's an old orange orchard around here, Commander. It's gone feral by now, but I think it still fruits during the season.
: Wanna make a detour?
: ... Oh sure, why not.

: Lee, Mosin, we're making a bit of a detour. There's an orange orchard somewhere around here. We'll go pick some up for the dolls back at base.
: Yes, Ma'am.

It's hard to tell on a still image, but a Jaeger spawned on that helipad and proceeded to moonwalk to Mosin's echelon. I guess the script for flipping enemies when they move right doesn't kick in on spawning enemies.

: Did those Jaegers just-
: Residual alcohol.
: Yes, let's go with that.

: Well, at least I'm starting to feel a bit more chipper.

I could have just gone straight for the enemy command post, but I decided to take a detour because ??? Don't ask me, I recorded this a month or so ago.

: (I know she told me she didn't need my help, but I can't help being worried.)

: (I really shouldn't pry, but what happened to her in the past?)
: *sigh*
: (Guess I'll have to ask her some other time.)

: Smell's getting pretty strong.
: It's nice.
: Kinda smells like someone knocked over a jar of orange oil at the aromatherapy store, to be honest.
: What's aromatherapy?
: I dunno the details, I just read it in a book once.

These guys are Dragoons. They're mounted melee combatants that start at the back and quickly make their way forward, so your ARs won't target them immediately. They hit hard if they reach your frontline, but luckily they don't come with that many dummy links (they're usually solo for the first few chapters), so you can kill them pretty quickly once targeting works in your favour.

: Hate these bastards.
: Stupid thin legs.
: Shouldn't even balance right.

The team walks into a large grove of orange trees, laden with ripe fruit.

: Wow.
: It's beautiful.
: Argh, darn it, I can't reach any.
: I can get some for you.

Lee hoists her rifle into the branches and beats them.

: Make sure to save some for the guys back at base!
: I'll open up the boot. I think I got some boxes in there...
: STAR, I wanna go pick some!
: ... *sigh* Fine. Let's go get some for M4 too.

Mosin walks up to a low-hanging orange, large and plump, and picks it. She gives it a quick sniff, then peels it and eats a segment.

: Tastes... familiar.
: But where...?
: Oh.

A tear runs down her cheek as she eats another segment.

: I'm sorry that I forgot, Jackie.
: I really am.

: Mosin? Mosin, are you okay?
: Yeah. Yeah, I am.
: Sit down, G36c. I have a story to tell you. A story of the old country, of white snow and Greek oranges, long ago and far away.

: Then shall we take a look at our next task?
: You wanna see... our spoils?

: Here you go.
: We can't see what's stored inside without technicians though.
: ... Ok. Then I'll put them back into storage.
: At this rate, everything's gonna be fine, Commander!

Kalina's report: We have recovered a few military hard disks but can't read the content... I'm dying to know what's inside...

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Poor mosin

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I am irrationally upset by the full surplus exp bar. It keeps making me want to order Kalina to write up some combat reports.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Danann posted:

I am irrationally upset by the full surplus exp bar. It keeps making me want to order Kalina to write up some combat reports.

I'm going to hurt you for the next few updates.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Playing suboptimally is the best part of this LP though???

Sair
May 11, 2007

I think we're past spreadsheets.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mechanics: Bingo events

Another quick entry in the set of common events that Mica puts out for the game.

It's found in the same place as the points event that we looks at beforehand.

This time around it was for a costume, a Halloween-themed one for FNC, as it turns out. Yes, I'm very late when it comes to this. You'll be confronted by this intimidating bingo board and a bunch of other numbers in the UI. Let's take it slowly.

Here's a box of rewards. As you get more full lines, the more reward boxes you unlock, with nice goodies in them. The ultimate reward for the event (in this case the FNC costume) tends to be for 8 lines. Mind you, this was my first bingo event so it might be different for other events.

Clicking on Event Rules brings up this big wall of text, but the concepts are pretty simple. Do miscelleneous tasks daily to get key cards, draw numbers to fill in the bingo board, duplicate numbers give you pity points that you can use to pick squares. Excess key cards get converted to calibration tickets, which is always nice.

An example of the daily tasks you can be given. They range from reasonable (kill a few enemies of a certain type, spend a certain amount of resources) to pretty dumb and skippable (dismantling 4* furniture, which can be a massive pain to get).

I had some key cards to roll, so roll I did. I got 18, which I had already rolled prior.

Pity points for me. The general advised strategy is to keep rolling key cards until you get exactly enough pity points to fill out the rest of the board, then blow them all in one go. This maximises key cards that you'll have at the end of the event, to maximise calibration ticket returns. Remember, it's the key cards that get converted, not the pity points!

Happy bingoing.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 9, 2019

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

That bingo saw me getting a keycard number just as I reached 90 points on the targeted draw. :negative:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Pretty sure that the headline reward is given out for completing eight lines and not fourteen

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Quinntan posted:

Pretty sure that the headline reward is given out for completing eight lines and not fourteen

In my defense, I recorded that a bazillion years ago and didn't recall which it was, and my recording wasn't very useful for telling me which reward box it was in. Thanks and fixed.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Pushing to new page.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Push

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Puuuuush