Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

these are good ideas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Ettin might be another to tap, he's a co-producer of Hard Wired Island, another promising TTRPG that might be a good exclusive to get, as well as his own work.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I’ll make the website.

louis friend
Oct 7, 2005
VICE: Notorious Nazi/Mimbo and former youtube sensation Pewdiepie to buy bigot bastion website somethingawful.com

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

These are all great ideas but I have to point out there are no paychecks, it's 100% volunteer.

Yeah I know. But we're trying anyway.

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
nothing we can do

It's just the way it always been done

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

These are all great ideas but I have to point out there are no paychecks, it's 100% volunteer.

So no compensation of any kind? Not even forum funbux? I'd do it for forum funbux.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

queserasera posted:

So no compensation of any kind? Not even forum funbux? I'd do it for forum funbux.

Nope. Not even free advertising space, trust me I've asked. The glorious era of Garbageday's generosity is long gone. Although things under our new COO are looking bright, for the moment the FP is still entirely volunteer.

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene

Pewdiepie posted:

I’ll make the website.
Nice, I'll make the thread asking other people for free articles. I think we're well on our way to becoming a global entertainment empire. Does anyone have the know-how to start serving Google banner ads?

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Musharraf posted:

Nice, I'll make the thread asking other people for free articles. I think we're well on our way to becoming a global entertainment empire. Does anyone have the know-how to start serving Google banner ads?

i do! (i actually do not)

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Nope. Not even free advertising space, trust me I've asked. The glorious era of Garbageday's generosity is long gone. Although things under our new COO are looking bright, for the moment the FP is still entirely volunteer.

i think they are planning on paying "article" contributors, like the mainline funny longer original bits.

curating stuff, like photoshop phridays or goldmines, if they ever re open, i don't think is the same. i haven't bothered to confirm this because i have other things happening in my life, and also, i volunteered to help with phridays. i never expected any compensation but satisfaction and a big laugh, but to repeat myself i have a weird life specifically constructed to afford me time to do things i want with few responsibilities or obligations, doubly so when bees are sleeping.

i completely understand people wanting to make money for their work, and when the work you want to do is comedy or writing doing that stuff for free sounds terrible. i have a lot of friends trying to pursue art as a career, but because they do that they can't afford to work for free, though they have the time.
i have a lot of friends with normal adult lives, but because they do they can't afford the time, though they have the financial capacity.

i don't know, really. i'll just keep doing what i am doing, which is very little, but something i can do at least.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah I am stupid lucky to be able to do this, the creative agency I work for likes its people to keep up a pro bono catalogue and I ended up with an actual fun client for mine, can't beat that! But also can't expect everybody to be able to do the same, so I do hope the powers that be find a way to grease the wheels for new authors somehow.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Yeah I am stupid lucky to be able to do this, the creative agency I work for likes its people to keep up a pro bono catalogue and I ended up with an actual fun client for mine, can't beat that! But also can't expect everybody to be able to do the same, so I do hope the powers that be find a way to grease the wheels for new authors somehow.
This is bleak as hell dude.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I am stupid lucky to be blessed to write for this failed comedy website for free because the place that I work at requires us to have writing samples where we work for free. This is a good thing and I'm very excited about it. Counting my lucky stars that things happened this way for me.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

American McGay posted:

I am stupid lucky to be blessed to write for this failed comedy website for free because the place that I work at requires us to have writing samples where we work for free. This is a good thing and I'm very excited about it. Counting my lucky stars that things happened this way for me.

yours is the bleak take, dude just said he loves that he can afford to volunteer, but understands others can't.

BFM and i aren't mega cogs in the gig economy portion of late stage capitalism who are smiling useful idiots for the taxmans wacky scams, i at least am a dork who likes to do this stuff.

the tone of a lot of these posts seems to be powerfully pessimistic. i understand the idea of a silent majority or whatever but it seems like of the posts regarding frontpage whatever most of them want it to fail? there is a bizarre glee at describing and dissecting the failures of what is barely a business in the first place.

nerds, man. i don't even mean you AM, i just have been repeatedly bummed out with the cynicism expressed by members of this community ABOUT this community.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

American McGay posted:

I am definitely also a dork who likes doing this stuff, that I'm double-dipping as my PB at work is just icing. And it's definitely not unusual. Pro bono work is expected in any profession that involves client relations: legal services, marketing, rentals, accounting, you name it. If you're not handling at least one or two charity accounts at your account-hunting job then you just aren't very good at what you do. And yeah, that can be a lovely gauntlet to run, IF you work for a lovely agency that pushes its people around and will fire you if you don't keep up. But when you get to pick your personal favorites as freebie clients and climb the ladder at your own pace with them, and push back deadlines on paying clients to make time for freebie ones and such, that's the good kind of "volunteer or vanish" culture. The company basically subsidizes employees' personal charity work, it's great.

I didn't get handed some dumb start-up off a list and told "just make posters" or whatever, I agree that would be poo poo. Instead I told my bosses, when I felt like it, "I want to volunteer for these weirdos I used to work for but now they aren't even a nonprofit they're just a poor-as-gently caress LLC, can we throw them a bone?" and they said "Yes! Great work!" and have remained super supportive for over a year now. That's about as good as it gets in my line of work, so yeah, I do feel lucky.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I have applied to write for the front page. Will post trip report.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

good luck!

i wonder how many of the writing subs are just an ascii goatse buried halfway into a lorem ipsum.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Heather Papps posted:

good luck!

i wonder how many of the writing subs are just an ascii goatse buried halfway into a lorem ipsum.

I too wonder how many genius new contributors will be accepted immediately without further question.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Well Lowtax's announcement seals it, I'm wrong. Front page writers now will be getting paid! That'll be nice.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Well Lowtax's announcement seals it, I'm wrong. Front page writers now will be getting paid! That'll be nice.

lol.
stop by byob your sig... actually, here:

anyways yeah, i think again, i may be wrong, that that is for "articles" versus the sidebar stuff but i haven't confirmed it. i should ask.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Heather Papps posted:

lol.
stop by byob your sig... actually, here:

anyways yeah, i think again, i may be wrong, that that is for "articles" versus the sidebar stuff but i haven't confirmed it. i should ask.

Eeeeee! Thank you so much, I lost track of that thread.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I am here, while other candidates are dropping left and right out on the national stage, to re-assert my pledge of wanting to write for the frontpage. Capntastic 2020.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

excited to see who "makes the cut"

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
execute order 69

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Dick Bastardly posted:

execute order 69

suborder: 420

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if folks don;t let me start posting soon im gonna record audiobooks of erotic fan fic and post them to GBS

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
wizards will gently caress in ways unholy even to science i swear on G-d's wounds do not test me

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

if folks don;t let me start posting soon im gonna record audiobooks of erotic fan fic and post them to GBS

Prithee, friend poster, have you considered selling your wares upon Amazon to the pleasure of Lord Bezos?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I havent heard anything either, bud. I think we will survive this trial, together

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Capntastic posted:

Prithee, friend poster, have you considered selling your wares upon Amazon to the pleasure of Lord Bezos?

im scared noone will buy it cuz im bad at promo :(

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

im scared noone will buy it cuz im bad at promo :(

Maybe stop letting your fear hold you back and recognize that the best promotion is Power Word of Mouth

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
are. . . are you telling me to blow my boss for a better job?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Yes yes they are.

And to everybody waiting patiently for a response to your submissions, thank you X 1000, there are some issues getting resolved as the Front Page gets restructured and that has pushed everything back a little. You have not been forgotten!

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
Congratulations on getting your first frontpage while also being banned for some reason!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
ask/tell which mod bears a grudge against the greatest poster on the forums

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 9, 2020

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

ask/tell which mod bears a grudge against the greatest poster on the forums

Oh dear, is someone bearing a grudge against Vanisher???

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

hockey jockey posted:

Oh dear, is someone bearing a grudge against Vanisher???

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
-_- too many bakas in my thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

-_- too many bakas in my thread

luv u bb, i am so proud and happy!