Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

synthetik posted:

Dumb question, but was the dance “awakening” before or after they switched? I thought it was pretty specific in being afterwards, but some friends are saying it could be interpreted either way. I think they’re dumb, but I’m dumb often too.

It was after, because they specifically show Red's flashback to the guidance counselor's office and that's post-switch, post-returning from the carnival. The counselor suggests having "Adelaide" (Red) take dancing lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The movie didn't seem particularly concerned with this but I liked the implication that Heidecker's mirrored self had basically built its personality around the implications of his physicality/gestures sans context/material trappings. Wish it had more of that and less...like...twins doing epic malicious karate cartwheels or w/e

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hat Thoughts posted:

The movie didn't seem particularly concerned with this but I liked the implication that Heidecker's mirrored self had basically built its personality around the implications of his physicality/gestures sans context/material trappings. Wish it had more of that and less...like...twins doing epic malicious karate cartwheels or w/e

Whoa where ya been

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I was disappointed. On reflection there’s some class commentary stuff that i didn’t appreciate in the moment, but I’d have to give it a C+. Great moments, solid cinematography and acting, but the plot itself was garbage. It all comes to down to suspension of belief, I think. For get out, I could potentially buy that a single, super smart family of brain surgeons developed a brain switch method. Outlandish, sure, but in the context of that reality I could buy it.

For us, I’m supposed to believe that there’s another 300 million human beings living under the continental US? That this one person managed to coordinate them all? I could maybe buy it if it was just SoCal, but all of the US?

I also found the switch twist silly. I’ve read some comments from you all that might give it more meaning but I think the plot just couldn’t deliver what it wanted to. I’ll definitely watch Peeles next film but this one was a bit of a let down.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Adelaide's childhood rehearsal space is in the basement -- she and Red are physically closer to each other when they practice art. I haven't settled on what this means to me yet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

Sup Hat Thoughts.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I do love the idea of a Tethered not understanding the idea of doing things ironically and just becoming an rear end in a top hat as a result.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

areyoucontagious posted:

I was disappointed. On reflection there’s some class commentary stuff that i didn’t appreciate in the moment, but I’d have to give it a C+. Great moments, solid cinematography and acting, but the plot itself was garbage. It all comes to down to suspension of belief, I think. For get out, I could potentially buy that a single, super smart family of brain surgeons developed a brain switch method. Outlandish, sure, but in the context of that reality I could buy it.

For us, I’m supposed to believe that there’s another 300 million human beings living under the continental US? That this one person managed to coordinate them all? I could maybe buy it if it was just SoCal, but all of the US?

I also found the switch twist silly. I’ve read some comments from you all that might give it more meaning but I think the plot just couldn’t deliver what it wanted to. I’ll definitely watch Peeles next film but this one was a bit of a let down.

you know people can't be connected via an unknown force to be controlled by a copy right.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Tim Heidecker prancing around and squawking like a bird wasn't something I was aware I needed in a horror movie.
But now, all other movies are far less spooky without it.

This is pretty fun:
https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1111850952695279616

Also noticed a similarity from a shot in the fun house and from the first episode of the Twilight Zone.
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/1112175494609305600

"Where is Everybody?" is pretty good though, a man driven insane by a government experiment.
And that's such a fantastic shot/scare.

Groovelord Neato posted:

you know people can't be connected via an unknown force to be controlled by a copy right.

Sounds like someone has been drinking fluoridated water.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is the exact difference that i mean, though. I was super on-board for that part! Sure JPeele, I’m game. Some weird tech or whatever. But the scope just was too much for me to believe. I know it’s dumb pedantry but you don’t gotta be a dick about it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I've come to conclude that the implausibility of Red's story is exactly the point, and we're meant to infer that the class warfare rhetoric she uses is also obviously wrong.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

areyoucontagious posted:

This is the exact difference that i mean, though. I was super on-board for that part! Sure JPeele, I’m game. Some weird tech or whatever. But the scope just was too much for me to believe. I know it’s dumb pedantry but you don’t gotta be a dick about it.

the class metaphor doesn't work if it's localized.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Groovelord Neato posted:

the class metaphor doesn't work if it's localized.

Good point, I suppose, but the scope problem was really distracting to me and undercut the ending on the whole. It’s my own hang up though, and I don’t think it’s solely the reason I didn’t like it as much. I feel like the ending could have used a different approach, but I’m going to be an rear end in a top hat and say that I don’t know if more exposition would be better or just a different ending entirely.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

wyoming posted:

Tim Heidecker prancing around and squawking like a bird wasn't something I was aware I needed in a horror movie.
But now, all other movies are far less spooky without it.

This is pretty fun:
https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1111850952695279616

Kitty's counterpart is called Dahlia, didn't the Black Dahlia victim have, among other things "Tex" written on her torso? I might be misremembering.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

davidspackage posted:

Kitty's counterpart is called Dahlia, didn't the Black Dahlia victim have, among other things "Tex" written on her torso? I might be misremembering.

Charles "Tex" Watson was a Manson family guy, and Charlie and co. stayed in the home of Dennis Wilson (noted Beach Boy) for a little while in the late 60s before they moved out to Spahn Ranch. I dunno if there's anything more to that (edit: duh Good Vibrations plays at their family's house pre-killings)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

areyoucontagious posted:

Good point, I suppose, but the scope problem was really distracting to me and undercut the ending on the whole. It’s my own hang up though, and I don’t think it’s solely the reason I didn’t like it as much. I feel like the ending could have used a different approach, but I’m going to be an rear end in a top hat and say that I don’t know if more exposition would be better or just a different ending entirely.

apologies. at least for me i find the kind of horror where the issue becomes larger scariest because you can't escape it. going in i figured it was just the family, but then they go to their neighbors and they're also hosed, and then you go elsewhere and nope you're still hosed there's no escape.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Groovelord Neato posted:

apologies. at least for me i find the kind of horror where the issue becomes larger scariest because you can't escape it. going in i figured it was just the family, but then they go to their neighbors and they're also hosed, and then you go elsewhere and nope you're still hosed there's no escape.

That was really scary to me as well. When the neighbors get killed, that was one of the scariest parts for me - that “oh poo poo, everyone has one?!” moment. But I think that illustrates how thin of a tightrope Peele was walking for this. That fear really dissipated once I saw them all lining up hand in hand. I thought that imagery was a bit silly. But it’s function as social commentary was really powerful. So I think in the end the concessions that Peele made to get his commentary across undercut his horror.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i loved that final shot - i think someone earlier on in the thread was spot on when they said it was very junji ito.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Groovelord Neato posted:

i loved that final shot - i think someone earlier on in the thread was spot on when they said it was very junji ito.

And on a related note, I think the movie would've worked better as a short-subject film or comic. But then I also think the movie would've worked better if it just copied the Invasion of the Body Snatchers formula of slowly revealing that something was going on, and then don't involve Adelaide's family until the end of the second act. Like the family notices Josh and Kitty out on the street and they're looking and acting really weird, walking with purpose towards who-knows-where, maybe they notice other people out on the street too. Basically, just have more build-up to the tethered family outside their house, and also cut out the long exposition scene and maybe even the whole "Adelaide and Red switched places" plot. Like I loved the homeless guy getting killed and then his double just standing on the beach with his arms outstretched. It's striking, it's creepy and the less we know about it the better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah, that's a really good call.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Watched this a second time and ultimately decided I like it a lot. It’s definitely operating on more dream logic and allegory than Get Out but I’m probably the last person who can complain about that in a movie.

In more Easter Egg news, I feel like it’s worth pointing out that the tune in the Hands Across America ad Adelaide watches at the very beginning is a jaunty MIDI version of Les Fleurs.

Other things:

The split diopter shot between Red and Adelaide actually just has Red greenscreened in, which I guess makes sense for two of the same actress. It's really noticeable around the edges though, and the lighting on Red's face is exaggerated compared to the rest of the room. Kinda ruined what was previously one of my favorite shots. Oh well.

I understand thinking the cartwheeling murder twins are lame but they did at least build up to it with the twins practicing gymnastics on the beach. It's only for a second and kinda in the background though.

I used to not like how the Tethered's mimicking was inconsistent but looking back it really was only Pluto and Jason. They give off a lot of hints that Jason is the most "accepting" of the Tethered and becomes closest to them as a result, so the mimicking plays into that. I think that also means the ending is definitely suggesting he can tell his mom isn't an original either.

The theory that Red is just guessing as to what the origin of the Tethered is doesn't seem to be correct. It relies on the idea that she uses the words "I believe," when in actuality the only time she uses them are the sentence "I believe they made a copy of the body but not the soul."

Also, Red is really religious, which doesn't seem to get talked about as much? She talks a lot about God. She thought being sent underground was her "being tested by God," she said the dance recital was God getting the two to meet, etc.

Ultimately I still have complaints, I do think the family gets way too quippy considering how horrific their circumstances are, but yeah, it's good poo poo. It's definitely less cut and dry compared to Get Out, and I've always liked muddled but interesting movies more than straightforward ones.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 13, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Rhyno posted:

SHUT THE FAITH UP

TV edits are a magical thing.

Die Hard 2 is better on TV because the edits turn it into a comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQP4d_r_Gs

YIPEE KY YAY MR FALCON

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4koLWPq2qDY

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Some of you must watch a lot of Cinemasins.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I saw this last night as the only person in the whole theater, which owned

I've been thinking that "the experiment" was Democracy. Originally created to allow them to use the people below to control the people above, but it hasn't really worked and the people below are pathetically imitating the people above grotesquely

I also agree that the movie doesn't quite form a perfectly coherent whole, but I couldn't stop thinking about it and I read this whole thread so it's doing something right

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I came out thinking I was disappointed and that it was muddled, but I like it more and more as I think about it.
I like the allegorical take that America is built on an underclass that lives unspeakable horrors that the upper class can barely envision. This extends further with the switch. Red thinks she is escaping a bad situation leaving drunken father behind, but to Adelaide who switches to the upper world, it’s a paradise and she is able to thrive. Anyone put in the lower world, malnourished, lacking language and so forth is going to deteriorate.

Red brings down what she has seen and accomplished. We can assume that Red is the better dancer, having learned in the upper world - I'm unclear if she danced before or not, but I am thinking so. When Adelaide dances (for therapy) in the upper world, Red's dance in the Tethered world shows the other Tethered that there is an upper world, and that she's switched. This also shows the Tethered that they can physically outstrip their doubles - Umbrae is faster than Zora, the shadow Twins are cartwheel machines compared to the incompetent beach practice of the upper twins.

Red prepares them for something massive. Her example she brings down is Hands Across America, which I remember the run up to pretty well. This was supposed to be a world changing event, a moment where we would finally confront a serious class problem with a giant outpouring of support. It changed nothing and the event fizzled in comparison to its marketing. But to Red, only having seen the anticipation, having the Tethered pull this off would put them on par with the denizens of the upper world.

I love the overhead shot of the Wilsons arriving on the beach. The shadows are amazing.

Last thought: it matters who is narrating the two mirror house flashbacks. Red can only have seen the upper world part, but we might get Adelaide's interpretation based on her Tethered world experience. We really don’t see the adults' faces in the first one, until the counselor's office, and that can only be Adelaide's recollection. I would imagine Red would have trouble recalling them.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like watching one of the new Twilight Zone episodes, "30,000 Feet" really gave more explanation of how Peele tells these sorts of stories. For reference, he had a story by and his general production credit on the episode.

The story is about Adam Scott going on a plane and finding a MP3 player with a podcast telling the story of how the flight he's currently on disappeared. In very simple terms, it's a story about a man on a plane trying to undo the future.

But what the story is actually about is a white man demanding everyone on the plane do what he say and that they listen to him because he knows best since he listened to a podcast.

Why I bring it up is that if you take the nuts and the bolts and try to to treat is a 100% clear parable about white privilege or mansplaining it's going to fall short because there literally is an item telling the future and the plane is going to crash.

I think to appreciate Peele's stories, you just have to roll with them, and not look for them to be these clear allegories. They're more about invoking more raw feelings and experience through weird and messy stories. It's why people came out short when they tried to treat Get Out as a story trying to be a parable about how white people treat black people in America when the film is doing a much better job at telling you how it feels to be black in America.

I guess my point is that I think Peele's speculative and horror work is more about leaving an impression than a thesis.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Just saw this flick and noticed - Lupita is the only member of the family to see her doppelganger's face when they die, even though her husband and kids do kill their respective doppelgangers. Abe is shredded by the b
motor while Gabe's back is turned. Jason and his double are both wearing masks. And the daugterganger dies in the woods while the daughter stays in the car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Daughterganger is the name of my new concept band.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Cunts/sloppy, jerk-off/cool-off, and rear end in a top hat/moron (Spaceballs) are all good examples of the clean dialog being better than the dirty.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

bort posted:

I like the allegorical take that America is built on an underclass that lives unspeakable horrors that the upper class can barely envision.

And a significant and vocal part of that group loves the color red for an arbitrary reason, is still obsessed with stuff which happened in the 80s, and believes that killing people who they assume are looking down on them (and admittedly sometimes they are) is the right answer to solving their problems, as opposed to attacking the corrupt system which created their problems in the first place.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the upper class keeps the corrupt system in place.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the upper class, like the homeless man on the beach

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

compared to the tethered he was living the dream.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Don’t attack people, attack systems. By which I mean the nebulous concept of systems, which are not run by people. They exist in the air

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I finally saw this movie. I love the director but there is alot unexplained. Tim Heidecker was great in it and I really liked how all the tethered couldn't speak.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Tenzarin posted:

I finally saw this movie. I love the director but there is alot unexplained. Tim Heidecker was great in it and I really liked how all the tethered couldn't speak.

What was unexplained that should have been?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

is this thread NASCAR? cause it's about to go in some more circles, baybay

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just saw it tonight and it was good except for that twist.

I can see why the twist was there, and suspected it on the "I just want my daughter back!" line, but when nothing else supported that read I thought I was being dumb. And then whoops, that's the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

like i said earlier in the thread i pretty much knew from the very beginning because in the trailer you see the funhouse strangulation and since they didn't show it during that scene it made it fairly obvious.

it's a bummer when trailers don't have obvious spoilers but do spoil things if you remember them while watching the movie. another example that comes to mind is dark knight making it obvious gordon wasn't killed since he had scenes in the trailer that hadn't happened.