Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My gut reaction leaving the theater was just disappointment. It's kind of a fun watch but just sort of falls apart at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Underground Lupita was the only Undergrounder who could speak because she came from above, right?

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Underground Lupita was the only Undergrounder who could speak because she came from above, right?

That's the impression I got.

Aside from that, I liked the movie, even if the family acted a bit unbelieveably, cracking jokes when they should be scared out of their minds, but I found myself getting a bit annoyed by thinking about it perhaps too literally and wondering what exactly they were trying to achieve by cloning everyone in the first place, if the dopplegangers sharing a soul/being controllable was an unexpected side effect. additionally, there being no apparent trace of the people who conducted the experiments, either in '86 or present day. It would presumably have to be a government effort considering the obscene cost of orchestrating such a project across the entire U.S. If the experiment was a gently caress up you'd expect them to liquidate the subjects rather than just leave them sitting down there to their own devices without so much as a locked door.

In the case of Get Out The idea of transplanting a brain into another body is ridiculous but if you believe that they figured out some magic secret to do it the motivations make sense enough. Who wouldn't want to live longer/be stronger/more popular? In the case of US it just seemed too ambiguous to me.

Rookoo fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 23, 2019

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Loved it. I think I agree with the idea that explaining less would have been better, but I don't think it hurt much

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I enjoyed it. The boat scenes were hilarious and I liked the ending. Jason’s doppelgänger had the facial burns. Was that because he mimicked Jason playing with the broken lighter, except he had real matches?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I liked it and took the metaphor to just be how our horrible quiet inner selves have become our outer selves in regular life. Even theoretically pure and innocent ideas like hands across America are perverted by our new willingness to be terrible.

It definitely isn't as good it well crafted as Get Out though and not one bit of exposition was satisfying. But I liked the playfulness of the cast in light of the horror. It felt like an echo if the metaphor where we live in permeant ironic detachment.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Cross posting from the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread:

Saw Us.

The movie is legit creepy and scary and I loved the slasher parts, but the Twilight Zone style reveal is a bit too much and took me out of it (I loved the same kind of reveal in Get Out, I guess scale matters). Also the big plot twist (Red's identity) feels very "cheaty" (I guess the idea is that, after a while having swapped places, Adelaide's and Red's souls also get swapped? But only for specific parts?) and also the most predictable twist ever in a movie about doubles.

Also I think the movie has committed a cardinal sin in the horror genre (that usually affects zombie flicks): give non-supernatural antagonists some kind of invulnerability when not dealing with the main cast.
This is even more aggravating after the big reveal of the doubles identity, especially so since this is a movie with a clear message about the current U.S. reality. No one has a gun? For all the scare factor and the element of surprise, the attackers are still imperfect copies of the original (clearly seen not having full body control and mental acuity) and are armed with scissors.

There is not a single other "non-double" person that survived the night, around the main cast?

This is ofc just talking about the upper layer of the movie, without considering the metaphor. But I think it's important for a movie to have the substrate and the outer layer mesh well together, and I think that the individual parts of Us are better than the sum of them.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 23, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

That Italian Guy posted:

(I guess the idea is that, after a while having swapped places, Adelaide's and Red's souls also get swapped? But only for specific parts?)

What do you mean by this?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

This movie had so many scenes that I really enjoyed but yet overall I was not into the movie at all.

The doubles menacing the main family didn't really seem threatening. I don't know if it was my brain telling me the main cast has plot armor or what but I didn't ever feel like they were in danger.

I kinda wish there'd been no reveal of the doubles living underground. The logic of it falls apart when I think on it. Adelaide's double basically becomes or learns to be human but Adelaide either stays below and goes nutty to plot revenge or she is forced to mimic the double's actions because reasons. The double gets free will and she loses it because of location? Bleh. The reveal at the end just doesn't work for me.

The subtext is kept vague enough that it kinda feels like you can read this movie as a metaphor for whatever you want it to be.

I thought every single actor really nailed their performances and I just wish the narrative had come together to complete the whole thing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jolo posted:

Adelaide's double basically becomes or learns to be human but Adelaide either stays below and goes nutty to plot revenge or she is forced to mimic the double's actions because reasons. The double gets free will and she loses it because of location? Bleh.

Well, the Adelaide who stays behind does still have free will. She literally organized some kind of uprising.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Gun talk:

I thought it was clearly a conscious choice, and honestly kinda refreshing, to make a horror movie without a single gun in it. In fact, the only “gun” used and referenced in the movie ends up immediately making things worse

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

LesterGroans posted:

What do you mean by this?

Similar to what the other poster mentioned.

When I say it feels "cheaty", it is cause there are some weird interactions that don't make too much sense after the swap. Red says something about the clones not being able to be "full fledged" people cause their "soul" is shared between two bodies. But her double is able to grow into Adelaide and become a normal person after some therapy, while Red regresses into a state similar to the one of the doubles, even if she is still brighter than them. And it can't just be "cultural" (although there is definitely some symbolism related to it), since otherwise you'd think whoever went to the trouble of cloning every American on the planet would have had some therapy sessions going for the clones in order to use them for their original scope.

And if Red had still access to her mental faculty, why has she not escaped so far? There are no guardians, and the way out is literally "go up through Trump's escalator".

Unrelated to this, the clones imagery gives out a bit of a mixed feeling to me. They ARE literal CHUDs coming out from under the earth wearing maga colors, secret americans living almost among us till they are ready to come out and build a wall...but in their underground tunnels, they look and behave like the poors and the wretched of society: homeless, drug addicts, incapable of controlling their spasms and unable to have a clear mind.

This is...weird? There are people that turned into MAGA out of spite for the idea of the Government/World/Cities abandoning them, but they are not overlapping with the homeless/desperate that live in the cities. The way the clones are depicted, it looks like a mix of both.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chud for trump/alt-right is a SA term I believe.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Gun talk:

I thought it was clearly a conscious choice, and honestly kinda refreshing, to make a horror movie without a single gun in it. In fact, the only “gun” used and referenced in the movie ends up immediately making things worse

Again, the message is clear and I can stand for it. But the message should mesh well with the other parts of the movie.

The main family and their weird "liberal but actually terrible" friends not having a gun? I can definitely buy it. But there is not a single shot heard in a countryside town full of people - with enough people, in fact, for their clones to be able to form a wall that stretches over the horizon. If the message of the movie is "this is America", the lack of guns is even more implausible. Compare this with every "similar" horror movie where the local people is the enemy like, let's say, The Crazies - where you have roving gun-toting band of "us" shooting everything that moves.

To be honest, I agree that not having guns around builds tension...but, while it works on the small scale, it's a cheap way to do so when you go to the wider scenario. It's like people getting lost without being able to use their mobile/smart phones to call for help.

In general, I think the movie loses a lot when it moves from intimate to less intimate.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Chud for trump/alt-right is a SA term I believe.

I meant they are literal CHUDs in the original way. They live underground and are "monstrous" humans. There is even a CHUD tape in prominent display at the start of the movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Doesn’t that come from Chapo Trap House? I don’t listen to it but I feel like I heard that somewhere.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

re. guns
if the dopplegangers knew things like where the spare key was and how to silently infiltrate a home I can imagine it being unlikely that many people could get a shot off during the "invasion." - it probably happened but not in the slice Peele showed us. There's I think an interesting political conversation around the broader use of guns in horror movies but Us I feel wants to side step that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFGmO1e_sAU

so good.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Saw this last night with a friend, got home and immediately typed 300 words elsewhere about how much I loved it in every way, and I'm about to leave to see it again with a family member

Annihilation is almost certainly still my favorite film. This is definitely up there though, this is easily going to still be my favorite film of the year by the end of December, and Midsommar is the only thing at a glance that even might come close to changing that

It's thrilling to have a director like Jordan Peele around

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I kinda hope Peele branches out from horror, as much as I like it, he seems to not want to be pigeonholed. It would be cool if he took the sort of Edgar Wright route of doing a different genre with every new movie.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I think with regard to the feeling the film cheats a little i took it that the whole idea that the people above and below were different kinds of people was actually false, Iike the reason why both versions of red can talk is because they spent time around other people who could. Ultimately everyone is a product of the environment they are in and any of the people underground would turn out fine if they were raised above ground.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

inferis posted:

I think with regard to the feeling the film cheats a little i took it that the whole idea that the people above and below were different kinds of people was actually false, Iike the reason why both versions of red can talk is because they spent time around other people who could. Ultimately everyone is a product of the environment they are in and any of the people underground would turn out fine if they were raised above ground.

Agreed. That’s why she was quiet for so long, she was learning how to talk

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Saw this last night and found it super meh. I thought it played it's hand way too quickly and with too much exposition which had the effect of solving the mystery just as it was starting. Like others have said, it never really felt like the main characters were ever in danger. I liked the reveal of the tunnel complex and the mimicking but the final "twist" is very obvious and exactly what you're expecting in a movie about clones. I get the metaphor and themes of underclass that they're going for but i thought the final product was very underwhelming. Also I saw this in a packed house and it didn't seem like it was going over great - the jokes weren't hitting and there were practically no scares to speak of.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

The more I think about it the more I’m disappointed. I loved the first half but the reveals in the second half and the half-baked logic that comes along with them really put me off. People will be talking about the metaphors and subtext for months but the surface-level story was full of holes and inconsistencies and it really took me out of it. Excellent acting, likable characters, gorgeous shots, but the script needed another round in the oven.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

My favorite moment of the whole movie was when Kitty, near death, is crawling across the floor and reaches up toward Mirror Josh, who extends his hand and then does the fake handshake move super slowly

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't think this came together all the way, but I still enjoyed it. Nowhere near as good as Get Out but definitely not a sophomore slump. I was afraid the ending exposition would be too heavy handed, but I think it toed the line ok. There are a lot of holes in the whole idea when you start to think about it, but I think it worked alright as presented on screen.

The most hilarious thing to come out of it so far for me are the 3 or 4 "ending explainer" articles I've looked at that are just literally writing down what happened on screen and going "Yes, Hands Across America was a real thing". Just utterly devoid of even the basic metaphor discussion going on in here.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 23, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

My favorite moment of the whole movie was when Kitty, near death, is crawling across the floor and reaches up toward Mirror Josh, who extends his hand and then does the fake handshake move super slowly

Same.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

All of his characterization is done in service of that moment and it’s great

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I liked it a lot, but had a pretty lovely theater experience. So, I'm excited to re-see it. I'm someone who grew up pretty poor in Brooklyn and have sort of adapted into a neutral speaking hipster, and I have a lot of insecurities that come with that. While I don't think the metaphors, horror, and sci-fi are as clean as in Get Out, being presented with an exaggeration of what you essentially fear as your inner self is pretty visceral.

I think that was most clear with Gabe, but I found the stuff with the sons pretty intense. I suffer from ADHD, and do a lot to work with my students who have similar issues. Seeing a kid who is supposed to have attention and social issues seeing himself as this animalistic creature was upsetting because a lot of kids with attention needs or social anxieties can actually be treated that way. My wife and I theorized that is the reason that the son has some control over his tethered. His experience is actually the experience of his doppleganger. Although I will say that by the nature of the narrative, the attention and social anxieties seemed more stated that visible in the film. The notion that has attention needs really only comes from dialogue.

I also liked how Gabe's relationship with Josh gave a real world example of the metaphor of the tethered. Gabe is annoyed that Josh is a bit of a snob, but basically uses his lifestyle as a model for what his life should be like. I also enjoyed the two attempts at engaging with the tethered family: first being all howdy neighbor, then trying to be tough. Neither are really authentically Gabe and I think the film really plays around with the notion of who our authentic selves really are.

My last thought is that I do like the idea that there is something special about Adelaide and Red. My interpretation is that Red does not actually remember or is at least confused by her origins just like Adelaide is. So, both girls essentially do the same thing when given the same conditions: Revolt.

I also highly recommend the Twilight Zone episode Mirror Image that the film is somewhat inspired by. You can actually totally read it as existing in the same universe.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

There is not a single other "non-double" person that survived the night, around the main cast?

Well, the main cast is basically just the Wilsons and Tylers. It's implied by the news broadcast they watch, and the police presence at the end, that a good chunk of Tethered were unsuccessful in killing their originals.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I saw this yesterday and have some scattered thoughts on it:

I think the thing about the ending twist is that it doesn't really matter; they swapped places and lived each other's lives and the point is that the people they became was entirely a product of their environment rather than some intrinsic good/evil nature.

I know a lot of people have said that they would have preferred if the doubles had just been of the one family but I think I actually kind of liked it as a pseudo-zombie movie. I do agree that the bit of exposition about why it's like that ruins it a bit (someone earlier, maybe in the general horror thread, mentioned that the central concept of the movie is an idea that both demands an explanation but also one for which no explanation would be satisfying so it's a tricky line to walk), but I still think that the fact that everybody has a double is interesting rather than just this one family being special.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Caught this today. Non-spoiler-y thoughts:

Definitely wasn't as tight or as perfect as Get Out, but I very much enjoyed it. It's a weird movie with some tonal whiplash that I liked, some creepy parts, and just enough cultural commentary to leave me thinking and processing it. I completely don't blame others for being underwhelmed by it, I just really enjoy when someone swings really hard at a weird concept even if they don't hit a homer.

Nyong'o's performance was REALLY great, Duke was a hilarious and lovable papa bear, and I thought the child actors did a pretty good job too. I thought the use of music was excellent and I think some of the cinematography was inspired. Some of the stuff at the end I found very arresting.

Spoiler-y thoughts:

Regarding guns, the film takes place in super lefty Northern California, so the absence of guns completely tracked for me.

While I loved the movie, I do have to dock points for the exposition dump at the end. It somehow explained too much and not enough at the same time and I wasn't sold on why Red would feel the need to contextualize the revolt for Adelaide. I would've preferred the existential horror of an underground clone tunnel with no explanation or reason, like how Baskin basically has no explanation, just a horrible pointless thing lurking beneath the surface. But YMMV on that. Either way though, I think the exposition we got raised a few too many "Wait a sec..." questions that weren't helpful.

As far as my "social commentary" read, initially I took it to be commenting on the idea of an underclass having to watch and mimic the wealthy from the margins of society and how unfairness and injustice based on nothing but pure historical accident is bound to breed resentment. If some must suffer so that others can be rich, you can't blame them for turning the tables. However, the hands across America "wall" definitely recontextualizes things for me a bit. I'll have to mull over how those all gel together. I think that's why I forgive the shortcomings of the film: I really want to keep unpacking it and thinking about it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The final fight scene was great. Kinda wish the beginning wasn't so heavy with the double references and foreshadowing. Worst part was easily when the mom got kidnapped by white female bbf clone and the kids just tiptoed around the house wide-eyed like they didn't just saw their mom got dragged in by people they know can kill

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I saw this yesterday and have some scattered thoughts on it:

I think the thing about the ending twist is that it doesn't really matter; they swapped places and lived each other's lives and the point is that the people they became was entirely a product of their environment rather than some intrinsic good/evil nature.

I know a lot of people have said that they would have preferred if the doubles had just been of the one family but I think I actually kind of liked it as a pseudo-zombie movie. I do agree that the bit of exposition about why it's like that ruins it a bit (someone earlier, maybe in the general horror thread, mentioned that the central concept of the movie is an idea that both demands an explanation but also one for which no explanation would be satisfying so it's a tricky line to walk), but I still think that the fact that everybody has a double is interesting rather than just this one family being special.

i'm surprised people weren't aware of that going in i thought it was obvious from the trailer that it would be multiple families at the least.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm surprised people weren't aware of that going in i thought it was obvious from the trailer that it would be multiple families at the least.

I'm sure a lot of people avoided the trailers for this (I did by pure chance for Get Out and the movie was so much better for it; I did for this too).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it has one of the best trailers of all time. there is a part of me that wishes i hadn't seen it since it gives away (once you're watching the movie anyway) that they swapped - the scene where she reaches out and strangles is in the trailer and since it hadn't shown up in the movie and she spoke so weird i'm going i bet they got switched.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Cause I have way too many opinions on this film and if anyone is interested in checking it out. Here is my Letterboxd review on US. Short review, its pretty great.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Saw it and really liked it a lot, but the exposition gets a little loosey-goosey in the last twenty minutes. I’m not sure the final “twist” works, but maybe it plays better a second time around.

The cast is amazing all around, and it is a freakin gorgeously shot spook-a-doodle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I feel like a Q-anon conspiracyhead could go buck wild with this movie