Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Red tells Adelaid that they have a “special” bond, which seems to be stronger and more vividly connected than the other Tethered. It makes me wonder if that bond was passed down to Jason, with his ability to “trick” his Tethered into walking into a he fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

My favorite moment of the whole movie was when Kitty, near death, is crawling across the floor and reaches up toward Mirror Josh, who extends his hand and then does the fake handshake move super slowly

Tim Heidecker was really good in this movie

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

That wasn't a trick, he did it on purpose as a trap

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Phi230 posted:

That wasn't a trick, he did it on purpose as a trap

...I don’t think you know what a trap is.

In any case, my point is that the mimicry shows a behavior we don’t see happen between any other characters and their tethered except for Red and Adelaide with the ballet.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fart City posted:

...I don’t think you know what a trap is.

In any case, my point is that the mimicry shows a behavior we don’t see happen between any other characters and their tethered except for Red and Adelaide with the ballet.

No like the red kid pretended to mimic and walk backwards as a trap. He gave hos life so Red could catch the real kid

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Ah, fair enough. That’s not how I took it (since it screws up blowing up the car but it’s an interesting read. Something to think about on a second watch.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I felt really uncomfortable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bedshaped posted:

I felt really uncomfortable.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I feel like a Q-anon conspiracyhead could go buck wild with this movie

Yeah.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Im still weirded out after two days.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think this movie has a lot of good parts that unfortunately don't come together well. I'd recommend it still but I acknowledge it has issues.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Really good movie. I think Get Out is a better overall movie, but I really enjoyed this. My number one criticism of Peele is that he seems to love beating the point over the head again and again. Like the ten minute scene in Get Out that telegraphs the whole brain swapping thing. We don't really need any of it to understand what happened.

I still want to see it again.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I just realized that the main family represents....

Many of the stereotyped methods of socioeconomic mobility among African Americans

Gabe- Education from a HBCU
Zora- Athlete
Jason/Red- Performer

Obviously, the real Adelaide didn't have any opportunity because her rear end in a top hat drunk father neglected her.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I didn't really mind the small exposition dump near the end. Seeing as how the grand majority of movies treat the audience like loving morons and explain every little thing from beginning to end, I can forgive the pause for revelations here.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

When this kicks in during the Adelaide/Red fight I got legit goosebumps.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fart City posted:

When this kicks in during the Adelaide/Red fight I got legit goosebumps.

same as hell. was so happy it wasn't just for the trailer.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Spoilerfic little thought I had re-thinking some aspects Tying into further British Literature when Adelaide does discover the mirror and goes underground, she quite literally follows the white rabbit much like Alice in Wonderland, also the whole looking through the glass. One of the more interesting passages in Alice in Wonderland is her conversation with the Caterpillar who asks her many times who she is and Alice cannot provide a satisfactory answer. In particular the Caterpillar is most known for his poem "You Are Old, Father William"; a poem about generational gaps and the inability to understand one another. Which is one of the big political arguments of our days (Boomers Vs. Millenials). Which again ties into the end when Jason looks towards his mother and starts to realize he is not sure who she is or if he can fully trust/understand her.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I’m so glad that Evil Douchebag Tim Heidecker was completely absent in all of the marketing.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Also the entire tethered people reenacting the surface level actions at the carnival flashback, are a false memory and never happened. It is "Red" remembering her surface life and what lead down to her being there. It is her filling the gaps of what happened/what she remembered as the real Adelaide a bunch of half true memories.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Death By The Blues posted:

Also the entire tethered people reenacting the surface level actions at the carnival flashback, are a false memory and never happened. It is "Red" remembering her surface life and what lead down to her being there. It is her filling the gaps of what happened/what she remembered as the real Adelaide a bunch of half true memories.

Big if true, but is it possible she was remembering carnivals from following years?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's been a long time since a horror movie made me feel uncomfortable like this and I loved it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Something I love is that the first 20-30 minutes kind of strip away you consciously being aware that Winston Duke is a loving brick shithouse by sketching him as a dad joke-loving dork, but then Abraham shows up and you are instantly reminded that the dude is like eleven feet tall and probably bench presses semi trucks.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What a disturbing, insidious loving movie. At least Get Out had manners enough to punch you in the face; it wasn't nice, but you knew what it was about. This one just creeps. What keeps staying with me is how much of the movie doesn't make any goddamn sense, to a point where it has to be deliberate. The whole thing's running on nightmare logic.

Like, as the easiest example? The mirror forest is on the beach. Specifically -- and somewhat oddly -- directly on the goddamn sand. Do you know what you can't do on the beach? Dig down, that's what. Beaches are, y'know, not exactly renowned for the rich deposits of bedrock they sit on. And yet there isn't just a basement level -- where they keep the electricals, because it's not like that would ever flood -- but it goes down, and down, and down again until all of a sudden it's going down in a richly appointed escalator to a huge, immaculate subterranean complex that's never actually maintained by anyone. It's pure dream logic, the way the mind will wander in circles suddenly obsessed with the whole "going down" concept before abruptly switching gears again because in a dream, any transitional space can lead anywhere else.

Or, for another topic, where do they get all their clothes? Why do most of the clothes match the surface level exactly, but Adelaide's prize t-shirt was an inexact mockery of Red's? Where'd the endless supply of jumpsuits, gloves, and scissors come from?

Or, hey! How the loving hell does the bond between Tethered and surface people work, exactly? Red explains it as an inherent property of the Tethered, but that doesn't work at all, because she's not Tethered and Adelaide clearly controlled her, not vice versa -- "I never would have danced if not for you", don't forget. So just... whoever's upstairs controls whoever's downstairs? And by the way, who's controlling who again? Because Tethered Midway Guy is holding up the t-shirt before Adelaide decides what she wants, and he has no other "prizes". So either that tableau was being controlled from downstairs or there's elements of predestination at work here. Again and again, it's scratchy, weird, works-the-way-it-needs-to-work-this-second-for-the-narrative-to-keep-going dream logic.

Also, I really don't understand the rabbit imagery apart from "rabbits are frequently experimented upon as lab animals", which I suspect is a somewhat facile reading, and I'd dearly love to know more about what that narration track was saying in the mirror forest the first time, because it sounded like a creation myth, and if it was, it's probably somewhat on-topic.

Death By The Blues posted:

No, that doesn't work. First of all, the camera's fairly omniscient and shows things outside of Adelaide's perspective a bunch of times. Secondly, why are we getting Red's false memory? She's hardly the viewpoint character, and Adelaide would have seen that boardwalk on the Tethered level. If anything, under that theory, the surface parts of the boardwalk flashback are the false memories/Adelaide reconstructing what must have happened from what she saw underground and what she was told once she made the swap. But, finally, too much of it gets corroborated -- the Jeremiah 11:11 guy, the jump-scare owl, the t-shirt which Adelaide needs to swap for Red's authentic one. We're simply shown the events of that night from both Red and Adelaide's perspectives.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 24, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Fart City posted:

Red tells Adelaid that they have a “special” bond, which seems to be stronger and more vividly connected than the other Tethered. It makes me wonder if that bond was passed down to Jason, with his ability to “trick” his Tethered into walking into a he fire
I think that this sort of tracks with my notion that you feel closer to your tethered when your experience or perception of you is closer to them. Adelaid's experience may not be worse than Red's, but both wanted to escape.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Enjoyed it well enough, but both this and Get Out have a similar problem for me: Jordan Peele comes up with some completely out there, overly elaborate backstory and then unnecessarily explains it.

He either needs to leave most of it unsaid because it’s not relevant to the purpose of the movie OR embrace it and go hog wild exploring it...not do what he does in both movies and have awkward exposition that explains more detail than is needed.

gently caress, make an ARG or something if you need to.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Despite some flaws that have been talked about, I really enjoyed this and it kinda cements Peele as probably the horror filmmaker I'm most interested in right now. There's so much creativity here, you can see the sources and all but they synthesize in interesting ways. (Not just cinematically either, I think there's a bit of Stephen King in how the story works.)

The humor didn't bother me at all- this sort of thing never really takes me out of the moment, and I felt like the tone overall, while not overtly satirical, was one that allowed for some levity or for sometimes the characters to just acknowledge how hosed up it all was. If you use George Romero as a baseline (and why not), this sits somewhere between Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead.

The actual problem- Yeah, the monologue at the end goes on too long and explains too much. Like I wouldn't want to sacrifice all of it but the pacing suffered a lot. That said, it leaves a lot to think on, in terms of a culture overthrowing the old, the idea of nature vs. nurture, adventures in misguided social engineering, etc. Kinda Cronenbergian. I understand on a certain level it's better not to explain, horror is about the unknown, etc. but another part of me really enjoys digging into mythos and weird horror backstories.

In the end I think it works quite well. Intense and weird.

Fart City posted:

Something I love is that the first 20-30 minutes kind of strip away you consciously being aware that Winston Duke is a loving brick shithouse by sketching him as a dad joke-loving dork, but then Abraham shows up and you are instantly reminded that the dude is like eleven feet tall and probably bench presses semi trucks.

Oh he was great. So relentlessly devoted to embarrassing his children.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Maxwell Lord posted:

(Not just cinematically either, I think there's a bit of Stephen King in how the story works.)

Good call. That's probably why the half-assed explanation didn't bother me at all. I'm a big Stephen King mark, so I'm used to that.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
I'd call it simultaneously a worse movie than Get Out, and a more interesting one. It's not as neat or polished, and there's more small flaws, but it's also bigger, weirder, and fundamentally more haunting.

The biggest issue, like other people have said, is the exact wrong amount of exposition. It needed either more, to have a fully rounded explanation ala Get out, or less, and just fully lean in on dream logic. The current amount is weird because it's wasting a fair bit of screentime and momentum to present an explanation, but that explanation makes no loving sense and might as well be 'magic!'

Here's what I fundamentally don't get about the ending as presented:

Okay, I get it from Red's perspective: she knocks out Adelaide, chains her down below, replaces her, steals her life, spends years learning to talk and taking over. Sure. Checks out. But... how does this story make any sense from Adelaide's perspective? She's ostensibly a normal 6-year-old girl. She's knocked out and wakes up in this bunker. Presumably, relatively quickly, she gets free. So... why doesn't she just... leave? The exit's right there, and unlike the other Tethered, she hasn't been raised down there or anything, and she doesn't have their limitations. There's no guards or anything keeping here down there, no reason she can't just book it ASAP. Like the movie fundamentally presents her as 'trapped', but it also shows there's nothing actually trapping the Tethered down there except their own pathologies... which Adelaide doesn't share.

The only way it makes sense is if there's some deeper magic at play where by changing locations, they also change who's piloting the soul, and Adelaide essentially is stripped of her agency and free will. But that seems like it goes against both the narrative of her as the revolutionary and also the thematic idea that the only thing that separates Tethered from not is their upbringing.

Also, did anyone else feel like Winston Duke was doing a Jordan Peele impression the whole movie? His read on a lot of the lines ("Craaaaaaawdaddy!") was extremely Peele-esque.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I thought the body swap reveal at the end made no sense at all

none of Adelaide’s actions or dialogue would lead you to believe she was the Tethered. Like there’s not a moment where you would look back and question who she is. The not speaking thing sure, but her adult life nothing leads you to believe she’s anything but normal. When she tells Gabe about what happened on the boardwalk there’s no clue to the swap. She tells the audience straight up she’s the real Adelaide and she saw another version of herself. If she was the one who did the swap, why would she be so afraid of the beach for instance? Also how she had no clue about any of the underground stuff and had to have it explained to her despite having lived there for the first seven years of her life

Baxate fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 24, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baxate posted:

I thought the body swap reveal at the end made no sense at all

none of Adelaide’s actions or dialogue would lead you to believe she was the Tethered. Like there’s not a moment where you would look back and question who she is. The not speaking thing sure, but her adult life nothing leads you to believe she’s anything but normal. When she tells Gabe about what happened on the boardwalk there’s no clue to the swap. She tells the audience straight up she’s the real Adelaide and she saw another version of herself. If she was the one who did the swap, why would she be so afraid of the beach for instance? Also how she had no clue about any of the underground stuff and had to have it explained to her despite having lived there for the first seven years of her life

Any time she kills someone she goes into an insane rage where she makes strange sounds and yelps. It's very disturbing if you notice it. I thought it was a commentary on how violence twists you, but that was before the twist.

Also when she's given the handcuffs, she reacts pretty explicitly to it.

Ooh, and as mentioned earlier, she's spared by Tethered-Kitty most likely because she knows Adelaide is like her.

As to why she was afraid of the beach, it's because it's where the real Adelaide is. So instead of being as far away as possible, she's now right there.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The movie just makes no drat sense and everything falls apart if you think about it for a moment which is such a drat shame because up until they run out the house the movie is excellent. Then it just becomes a zombie movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This movie and Gaspar Noe's Climax start on similar shots a shot of an old tube television with plot setup material on the screen and movies on vhs that influenced the story surround it, in Us its CHUD and Man With Two Brains, in Climax it was Suspiria and Possession.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I dont know how people think it doesnt make sense. Like the premise is pretty simple. underground clones gonna do some stabbing and they have a spiritual connection with their partner.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Tired Moritz posted:

I dont know how people think it doesnt make sense. Like the premise is pretty simple. underground clones gonna do some stabbing and they have a spiritual connection with their partner.

As someone else has mentioned it doesn't make sense for Red (the "real" 6 year old) to stay downstairs for 30 years. There are no guards, she knows the way out and even if she didn't, the exit is literally up the golden escalator a few steps from her. The story only works if Red is trapped and finally finds a way to escape. She is handcuffed when she first wakes up, but her wrists are not marked in any way to indicate she has been chained for 30 years - and this is the kind of movie that would definitely pay attention to a detail of that sort.

Also when she's talking with her husband abound not going to the beach...the scene works in the context of "she has been traumatized by something unexplained as a child, but as an adult she powers through"; it stops working when the stakes are raised to "she'd be 50 feet away from the secret lair she's imprisoned her double in".

Why has she even agreed to go and spend the vacation at her "parents" place, since it's so close to that beach? Her husband seems like a very sweet and kind man, she could have made up a ton of "this place reminds me of bad memories" stories and she would have not pressed her into going. And it's not even the first time they've been there. People are not always rational of course but...it kinda still feels like cheating.
EDIT: it's at the "horror movie convenience level" of "let's split up".

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 24, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

That Italian Guy posted:

Also when she's talking with her husband abound not going to the beach...the scene works in the context of "she has been traumatized by something unexplained as a child, but as an adult she powers through"; it stops working when the stakes are raised to "she'd be 50 feet away from the secret lair she's imprisoned her double in".

Why has she even agreed to go and spend the vacation at her "parents" place, since it's so close to that beach? Her husband seems like a very sweet and kind man, she could have made up a ton of "this place reminds me of bad memories" stories and she would have not pressed her into going. And it's not even the first time they've been there. People are not always rational of course but...it kinda still feels like cheating.
EDIT: it's at the "horror movie convenience level" of "let's split up".

I feel like it's pretty safe to assume that the Adelaide who's above ground has basically suppressed her memories of being a clone.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

LesterGroans posted:

I feel like it's pretty safe to assume that the Adelaide who's above ground has basically suppressed her memories of being a clone.

Yeah I think that's the only way the movie works a little. Even if, again, it's a bit convenient. There are plenty of scenes where the story is already stretched thin (like Adelaide having her son and daughter so close to the place of her trauma - and even losing track of her son - is "convenient horror trope"; her leaving them loose so close to the place where she knows they could be kidnapped by their clones is stretching things even thinner).

Again, people are not always 100% rational - and imperfect clones maybe even more - but there's a lot of stuff that goes from "This is a bit weird, but I can see it happening" to "how the hell did this happen" territory if you know who Adelaide really is.

A good reveal should have all the pieces of the puzzle clicking in place when it's done; this one raises quite a few alarm bells.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pascallion posted:

Enjoyed it well enough, but both this and Get Out have a similar problem for me: Jordan Peele comes up with some completely out there, overly elaborate backstory and then unnecessarily explains it.

He either needs to leave most of it unsaid because it’s not relevant to the purpose of the movie OR embrace it and go hog wild exploring it...not do what he does in both movies and have awkward exposition that explains more detail than is needed.

gently caress, make an ARG or something if you need to.

you kinda needed the explanation in get out or it just looks like they're brainwashing black people.

LesterGroans posted:

yeah i'm not sure why this is a stumbling block for people. folks lie about themselves all the time and believe things in their past that didn't happen.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The range of reactions this is getting is wild. People on my instagram feed are saying everything from "this was a total waste of time" to "this is the greatest horror film I've ever seen".

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Z. Autobahn posted:

Supposed Plothole
I think you're not thinking through what the character would go through. It's not spelled out in the movie, but when she wakes up, presumably her tethered parents would find her and then reenact everything going on above ground. So, Adelaide would have people who look identical to her parents but are monsters pushing her around and forcing her to act out weird mimed therapy sessions. I think it's reasonable for a six year old who has no idea what is happening and has no reason to not think these are her parents to just quietly comply.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just watched a video about this movie with ~400k views (was on t he front page cuz i listened to the remix) and it's hilarious how people can make a career making poo poo up or missing stuff in a movie to make an ENDING EXPLAINED video. one example: the guy thinks that adelaide knows she was switched from the beginning. he also has a theory jason was switched out because he swears and his parents don't know where he picked it up and couldn't remember how to get his spark trick to work and builds a tunnel instead of a sand castle...kids build pits/tunnels all the time at the beach. not sure how he explains away pluto sounding and moving around like an animal.

he even gets the fluoridation conspiracy theory wrong.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

How are people legitimately not getting this?