Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The movie reminded me a lot of the Box, which I also really liked, but did give me the feeling like it was a Twilight Zone episode stretched beyond its normal runtime. It's like the difference between a short story and a novel, where the length of time necessitates certain arcs and explanations that don't necessarily benefit the experience.

There were definitely things I didn't like or didn't work for me; the moments of tension and threat felt so gripping that the moments of comedy and levity felt kind of atonal. I was also expecting the dad to get killed by his doppelganger almost immediately, and when he didn't, the family felt a little too 'safe' for my liking. I liked that the explanation at the end still left a lot to the imagination, but I wish they'd found a way other than a long monologue over a montage, or maybe shortened it a bit. It's dumb, but I feel like if Red's explanation had been a little less elaborate, it wouldn't have bothered me that they don't explain why all the doppelgangers dress in red, wear one glove, and use scissors.

Lupita Nyong'o was magnificent in both her parts. Wow.

The movie does leave you with a lot to think about. The Tethered as a symbol for the underclass that the middle- and upper class ignores until they rise up? Imitating Hands Across America for the completely hollow 'statement' that it is? I kept trying to remember some story where a person uses scissors to rip off someone's shadow, but kept thinking of Peter Pan instead (where a shadow gets sewed back on, I think). Also, the white rabbits, Alice in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass? I feel like there's more there, though maybe it's just about research animals.

Overall, not the knock-out-of-the-park that Get Out was, but Peele still soundly has me by the ear for the stories he wants to tell.

And yeah, very hard not to think of the Key & Peele hall of mirrors sketch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

That Italian Guy posted:

Red is trying to be scary, and MJ Thriller gave her nightmares the last time she was above the ground, so it has to be scary for everyone, in her mind.

Oh God I'm a moron, I'm a loving moron. I kinda got the MJ glove but not the red suit!

Forgot to mention that the soundtrack is loving amazing. Keep bringing those sounds of Africa.

Lastly, I wonder if movie might've worked slightly better if Red's explanatory monologue slowly revealed that Adelaide had taken her place. It might've made for a more generic horror twist, but I feel like it would've worked better than sticking it at the very end. Also, again, had dad gotten killed by his doppelganger - imagine being stalked by a hooting, growling version of your giant enormous teddybear dad. In the scene where dad lies down on the bed my immediate thought was "how is any other person supposed to fit on that bed with him?"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm liking this movie more as I think about it and expect a second viewing will make me appreciate it more.

Does anyone have thoughts of significance on names?

The Alexa-like system is called Ophelia. I know that's a character in Hamlet, but not much beyond that. Opheleia is "help" in Greek... more than that?

It occurred to me that since the Tethered don't speak, Red must've chosen the names for her family herself. Umbrae, Latin for shadow. Abraham... patriarch? Pluto, ruler of the underworld.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ouhei posted:

I agree that it would have made sense to work it in there, but he really wanted to keep it to the end (just like Thriller).

Thriller again! God drat!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fart City posted:

Can we really talk about how amazing Lupita is in this tho? There was an interesting moment at my showing today where the Tethered enter the house, and Red starts to tell her story. And at first there was like, an odd scattering of laughter, I suppose because her croaking cadence is so initially jarring. But like once she dug into that speech the laughter never resurfaced. She just brings it on every level, and I found her transition from screaming to that like moaning laughter after breaking Red’s neck to actually be one of the creepiest little moments in the entirety film.

If each character had been played by two different actresses, I'd have been impressed with both. It's real easy to forget they had to use stand-ins because she puts down two really strong characters.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bert of the Forest posted:

The last shot of the Tethered wall stretched out for miles reminded me so much of a Junji Ito style visual, it immediately brought to mind other similarities between Peele's and Ito's work. Both have an eye for strong and utterly unique/memorable horror visuals, a knack for metaphorical/fantasy realism storytelling, and a tendency to seemingly build a loose framework of a plot to support the other two things they have a greater interest in. Through that lens the film became less frustrating by far, and I might even prefer it to Get Out in the long run if only in superficial terms just for the sheer imagination on display. I'm definitely gonna get a rewatch in as soon as possible.

A lot of the Tethered's faces (bug eyes, ear-to-ear smiles, that face the twins' Tethered made, smiling with almost rolled-back eyes) looked super Ito-esque, now that you mention it. I wonder if Peele showed them panels to imitate.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ghostwritingduck posted:

Ending spoilers:

Its interesting the number of people who accept Red’s explanation of clones despite it contradicting most of the evidence in the film. For those of you that are accepting her explanation, but don’t think it makes sense, why are you accepting it? One of the earlier scenes has a character talking about the government conspiracy to use fluoride for mind control. That’s evidence that we’re not intended to blindly accept a government conspiracy explanation, unless you believe fluoride in the water actually results in mind control.

I don't have a particular justification for it, but I really like the notion that, like most conspiracy theories, it simply doesn't hold up to the light of day. It's outlandish and full of holes, but clearly some of it is true, because we're seeing it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I hope Peele does a commentary track for this; I just watched his commentary on Get Out and it's pleasantly honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

wyoming posted:

Tim Heidecker prancing around and squawking like a bird wasn't something I was aware I needed in a horror movie.
But now, all other movies are far less spooky without it.

This is pretty fun:
https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1111850952695279616

Kitty's counterpart is called Dahlia, didn't the Black Dahlia victim have, among other things "Tex" written on her torso? I might be misremembering.