Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It just feels weird how confused people are. The movie doesn't give every single specific answer to how every single specific thing works, but like, we have seen enough supernatural twisted mirror underworlds that people should be able to figure out the general ideas on how things work.

My central question is "are the tethered autonomous, or are they not?" If they are as literally bound to their counterparts as we see in the flashbacks, then how have they managed to come to the surface? And if Red has already freed them (or taught them how to free themselves), then is killing their above ground doppelgangers just a symbolic act?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

colachute posted:

Needing a movie to explain everything because it explains some things is probably one of the most neurotic and miserable ways to watch a movie ever.

I'm all for letting a movie set the terms for how I should engage with it, but the movie gives mixed messages when it establishes rules for its universe but then appears to ignore them at its convenience. I don't need an explanation for everything- or for anything for that matter- but I really wish the movie needs would make up its mind whether or not I'm supposed to think about how its world literally works.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah that's kind of a better way of putting it. Maybe subsequent watches will make me feel differently (I do like this movie a lot), but in my opinion the long exposition toward the end is neither a good diagetic explanation of the film's events, nor does it really clarify the larger allegory. Failing both of those, it just kind of amounts to clutter.

It without a doubt delivers some striking, meaningful imagery (the underground mimicry), but can't really figure out how to fit it in the bigger context of the film.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did you watch literally any of the movie? The main character is a tethered and acts like a regular person and the entire movie is the tethered acting on their own, how could this possibly be a question? They mirror their above ground counterparts and pantomime stuff, but literally 90% of the scenes in this movie is footage of them not doing that all the time and the actual main character of the movie spends the entire runtime of the film not struggling with it.

I understand that they behave autonomously for the entire movie, but how and when did they become autonomous? And if they were always autonomous, then what was the meaning of the pantomime stuff? Is it just instinct they have to break? Did they only mirror the actions of their counterparts because they never realized they could do anything else?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 5, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I just can not imagine this movie going that far into making sure you knew they were flesh and blood americans same as you, making the point over and over that they were same as us, naming the movie US and making the main character one of them and showing the upbringing is all that mattered if you were a human or a monster. And then coming away wondering if they were people.

They have the exact amount of autonomy as the cleaning lady that you never learned the name of that cleans your office building who will have their son die of a tooth infection because she gets paid 3 dollars an hour under the table and has a 2nd grade education because she grew up partially homeless. Ie: they have as much inner life as you do but you get to pick your destiny in ways they don't and constantly bare the brunt of any decisions you make as an invisible underclass but live like that every day because hands across america was about vague platitudes and raising a few thousand dollars instead of tearing you to shreds and taking your house.

By “autonomy” I’m talking about their physical ability to function independently of their counterparts, I’m not questioning their personhood, and I’m frankly a little offended that you’d think I was that dense. They’re clearly people with their own hopes and dreams, I’m just asking how they can walk left when their counterpart walks right when it seems that there was a time that it wasn’t the case.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Settle down Beavis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Us feels like a movie that has very little faith in the audience’s ability to get the point