Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I steeled myself to be disappointed after all the hype this was getting, but I actually really enjoyed it.

It was like a bigger, and ultimately sloppier, version of Get Out when it comes to a 'standard' horror premise that expands into something bigger and weirder. Pretty much everything worked for me. The Home Alone joke fell flat for me, but the kill count joke came close after and it got me good.

It made me more excited for the new Twilight Zone show because the first 40 or 50 minutes would have worked pretty perfectly as an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

That Italian Guy posted:

(I guess the idea is that, after a while having swapped places, Adelaide's and Red's souls also get swapped? But only for specific parts?)

What do you mean by this?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jolo posted:

Adelaide's double basically becomes or learns to be human but Adelaide either stays below and goes nutty to plot revenge or she is forced to mimic the double's actions because reasons. The double gets free will and she loses it because of location? Bleh.

Well, the Adelaide who stays behind does still have free will. She literally organized some kind of uprising.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

My favorite moment of the whole movie was when Kitty, near death, is crawling across the floor and reaches up toward Mirror Josh, who extends his hand and then does the fake handshake move super slowly

Same.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Maxwell Lord posted:

(Not just cinematically either, I think there's a bit of Stephen King in how the story works.)

Good call. That's probably why the half-assed explanation didn't bother me at all. I'm a big Stephen King mark, so I'm used to that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

That Italian Guy posted:

Also when she's talking with her husband abound not going to the beach...the scene works in the context of "she has been traumatized by something unexplained as a child, but as an adult she powers through"; it stops working when the stakes are raised to "she'd be 50 feet away from the secret lair she's imprisoned her double in".

Why has she even agreed to go and spend the vacation at her "parents" place, since it's so close to that beach? Her husband seems like a very sweet and kind man, she could have made up a ton of "this place reminds me of bad memories" stories and she would have not pressed her into going. And it's not even the first time they've been there. People are not always rational of course but...it kinda still feels like cheating.
EDIT: it's at the "horror movie convenience level" of "let's split up".

I feel like it's pretty safe to assume that the Adelaide who's above ground has basically suppressed her memories of being a clone.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Alan_Shore posted:

I didn't even think about the bathroom situation but it's true! Did they have working toilets? Why was everything so clean?

Yes they had toilets.

They cleaned up after themselves.

Better?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Pharmaskittle posted:

I felt like the dad was in danger when his double first dragged him out of the house

Yeah, same. Up until Gabe was brought on the boat still alive I thought he could bite it anytime.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

That's not what that means.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

boquiabierta posted:

This is a really interesting theory that I'm disappointed didn't get more of a response here. It does seem like maybe there was something weird about the editing, or something changed later, and I don't remember that monologue from the trailer being in the movie. What do y'all think?

I mean, maybe there was an earlier version of the film where Adelaide remembers she's one of the Tethered early on and tells her family, but I don't think there's a trace of it in the final film.

That line from Gabe is due to the fact that Adelaide knew poo poo was wrong early on and is clearly very capable when it comes to loving up doubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Tenzarin posted:

I finally saw this movie. I love the director but there is alot unexplained. Tim Heidecker was great in it and I really liked how all the tethered couldn't speak.

What was unexplained that should have been?