Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNCmb-4oXJA

Us is the second film from writer/director Jordan Peele, following his raucously successful debut as a filmmaker, Get Out.

Adelaide Wilson (Lupita Nyong’o), a mother whose past trauma has rendered her paranoid and cynical, takes her family on an idyllic summer vacation at their beach house, meeting up with some friends of the family. As Adelaide’s fears grow, the family is visited by doppelgangers of themselves, seemingly out to murder them.

In between dropping probably the most critically acclaimed debut ever and heading up a new series of The Twilight Zone, Peele has been generous enough to drop us a new entry in his takes on socially-conscious horror. Get Out had a heavy element of cultural commentary to it, and you can probably expect the same here. As a result, please be extra careful about spoiling stuff.

In this thread, you can discuss Us, Get Out, Peele himself, and even his previous comedy works if you’d like. You can discuss the social issues raised in his writing. You can hypothetically discuss his movies’ Tomatometers, but please don’t. Feel free to speculate on plot details, subtext, and all that stuff we like to shove our heads in our asses for fun over.

Personally, while I find Peele to be lacking as a director, I think his writing is still top-notch, and I do hope he doesn’t take Get Out’s nigh-universal acclaim as an excuse to rest on his laurels. The trailer featured some slightly better shots than we saw in Get Out so hopefully he’s improved in that department too. In any case I think he’s a wildly exciting filmmaker and I’ll be seeing this tonight right after work.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

There is not a single other "non-double" person that survived the night, around the main cast?

Well, the main cast is basically just the Wilsons and Tylers. It's implied by the news broadcast they watch, and the police presence at the end, that a good chunk of Tethered were unsuccessful in killing their originals.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Death By The Blues posted:

Also the entire tethered people reenacting the surface level actions at the carnival flashback, are a false memory and never happened. It is "Red" remembering her surface life and what lead down to her being there. It is her filling the gaps of what happened/what she remembered as the real Adelaide a bunch of half true memories.

Big if true, but is it possible she was remembering carnivals from following years?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I think the reason I dislike the twist at the end so much is because while I agree with the reading that it’s not supposed to be a Usual Suspects-style thing that recontextualizes all the events thus far (and more a moral point about your upbringing and circumstances deciding who you are as opposed to any inherent traits), even that is undermined by the way Peele telegraphs it, where Jason notices twice that his mom enjoys murder a little too much.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Paperback Writer posted:

this must be the worst movie to watch with a group of people. More than half will be complaining about stupid poo poo

Saw this with a group of people and can confirm.

I have complaints about this movie but they’re about how the themes undermine and reverse themselves, not “but how do the rabbits eat!?!?”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
You definitely see Red talking in the final monologue while she’s cutting the paper people. I remember liking the shot where she’s out of focus in the front right of the frame while Adelaide is in focus listening to her in the back left.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Thom and the Heads posted:

iirc they're actually both in focus! it's a technique called split diopter and i thought it was also very cool :science:

it's weird - despite not loving the movie, i feel the need to see it again.

Right, right. I’m just hazy on the details because it’s been a week since I’ve seen it now. I do want to see it again but I’m not sure I can justify the price of a ticket.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I think most of those were changed correctly.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I do love the idea of a Tethered not understanding the idea of doing things ironically and just becoming an rear end in a top hat as a result.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Watched this a second time and ultimately decided I like it a lot. It’s definitely operating on more dream logic and allegory than Get Out but I’m probably the last person who can complain about that in a movie.

In more Easter Egg news, I feel like it’s worth pointing out that the tune in the Hands Across America ad Adelaide watches at the very beginning is a jaunty MIDI version of Les Fleurs.

Other things:

The split diopter shot between Red and Adelaide actually just has Red greenscreened in, which I guess makes sense for two of the same actress. It's really noticeable around the edges though, and the lighting on Red's face is exaggerated compared to the rest of the room. Kinda ruined what was previously one of my favorite shots. Oh well.

I understand thinking the cartwheeling murder twins are lame but they did at least build up to it with the twins practicing gymnastics on the beach. It's only for a second and kinda in the background though.

I used to not like how the Tethered's mimicking was inconsistent but looking back it really was only Pluto and Jason. They give off a lot of hints that Jason is the most "accepting" of the Tethered and becomes closest to them as a result, so the mimicking plays into that. I think that also means the ending is definitely suggesting he can tell his mom isn't an original either.

The theory that Red is just guessing as to what the origin of the Tethered is doesn't seem to be correct. It relies on the idea that she uses the words "I believe," when in actuality the only time she uses them are the sentence "I believe they made a copy of the body but not the soul."

Also, Red is really religious, which doesn't seem to get talked about as much? She talks a lot about God. She thought being sent underground was her "being tested by God," she said the dance recital was God getting the two to meet, etc.

Ultimately I still have complaints, I do think the family gets way too quippy considering how horrific their circumstances are, but yeah, it's good poo poo. It's definitely less cut and dry compared to Get Out, and I've always liked muddled but interesting movies more than straightforward ones.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 13, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Don’t attack people, attack systems. By which I mean the nebulous concept of systems, which are not run by people. They exist in the air

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Untethering is Red’s own personal revenge quest. The Tethered likely wouldn’t be murderous at all if Red wasn’t the ones leading them, and had instructed them all to be murderers. We know this because Adelaide was a Tethered, and upon reaching the surface, her first instinct was to live among people and not kill them. The twist doesn’t turn Red into the good guy of the story - she’s an opportunist convincing the lower classes to start a war. After all, she did start as a member of the upper class.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Is it really about race? The do have the scene where they explain that its not racism in how/why they are targeting black people.

:eng99:

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 27, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

moths posted:

Us... didn't do that. You have literal upper and lower classes that are 1:1 mirrors of each other, except that the lower class is psychologically monstrous, engages in weird improv of their mystically bonded originals, and are incapable of autonomy (except when they aren't.) The real life poor aren't feral killers.

We literally saw what happens when a member of the underclass joins the upper class without a leader telling them to start a war. They assimilate and join society just like everyone else.

Under no circumstances is the movie arguing that the underclass are inherently violent.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Chronojam posted:

In fact, they've been passive this entire time without that extra bit of influence. Whether or not it was manipulative could get extra discussion, including how selfish (or not?) the motivation was.

Right - the ending is absolutely meant to imply, even if you disagree with my reading, that the reason the Tethered all only communicate in screams and grunts is because they’ve just never been taught language, amongst their other odd behaviors. It’s pretty clearly demonstrated that the Tethered would be exactly like those above ground if raised in similar circumstances, they’re not subhuman killing machines.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

colachute posted:

Yes, that is the twist of the movie.

Thanks for the snark, but you may want to use it on the people these past few pages I was explaining the obvious to.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

:psyduck:

Jesus Christ. This is the opposite of what Peele has said over and over again. You think the racial elements are what, an accident? You and Tenzarin are god drat morons, spend a minute googling Peele interviews about the film.

I believe Chocula was referring to Us being about class, not Get Out.

That being said, for those who believe Us isn’t about class, Peele pretty clearly disagrees. https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-jordan-peele-us-ending-spoilers-20190325-story.html

quote:

“We don’t generally acknowledge, and we tend to neglect, the fact that people have to and have had to suffer in order for us to have the privileges we have,” said Peele.

Tenzarin posted:

I was really only talking about that one scene with the tv when he was strapped in the chair. I went back and watched that scene again and only the guy getting his brain transplanted might not have been racist. The son was most likely super racist. Sorry my bad!

The photographer who bought Chris’s body is already racist by virtue of participating in a system that fetishizes blackness to the point of rendering it a commodity.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 30, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I took it more as "Chris is an established photographer" and the guy is an Art Critic(?) for photography. So he could easily take over Chris's life and hope to be a successful photographer and blend right in.

It's also a commentary on critics being jealous of the artists they criticize / critics are failed artists.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but I believe Chris’s buyer was a photographer, but stated he had to give up the hobby as his eyesight started to go, in the conversation at the party before Chris suspected anything from him. Chris even finds him to be the only white person he’s comfortable around at the party because of their mutual hobby.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

The whole point is that being a nice racist doesn't matter

I know. What are you trying to say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I'm agreeing with you against the person who suggested that Stephen Root's character wasn't racist

Oh, my misunderstanding then. Sorry.