Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Oh I think “US” is supposed to mean united states too, what with all the ”we’re Americans” talk and this definitely having something to say about capitalism and poverty.

"We're Americans" means you can't point your finger at an Other as your tormentor, without looking at or dealing with the monsters in yourself first. That's why Jason's seemingly-flippant line about pointing fingers is a major clue to the film's theme, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ulio posted:

Ya, it makes Jordan even more impressive that he could write such good comedy and now horror.

I think there must be some intersection in the skill set required to write both horror and comedy. Two comedians also just wrote one of, if not the best sequel to Halloween last fall as well.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hostile V posted:

I do like that fundamentally the reason why they're wearing red jumpsuits with one glove is because Red was scared of Thriller as a kid and she based their uniform of terror on the last scary thing from aboveground.

Actually in general I like that all of their terror and planning and tactics stems from a developmentally stunted kid clinging to their fears and memories and distorting them over the span of decades into cargo cult trappings. I like that angle in general but this worked especially great here.

i think that commercial for Hands Across America was one of the last things that Red saw before she went underground as well, so that angle definitely lines up.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

I feel like it's pretty safe to assume that the Adelaide who's above ground has basically suppressed her memories of being a clone.

How are people legitimately not getting this?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

porfiria posted:

My feeling is Peele would say this movie is more overtly political and than Get Out, if not as explicit.

quote:

“There’s a double meaning to everything. Look, this movie’s about duality, and there’s no choice that I’m not trying to layer. Yeah, the state of this country inspired me. We’re a country that is afraid of the outsider. We’re afraid of the other, whether it’s within our borders or outside of our borders. And I think when we fail to point a finger inward, we’re capable of really messing up in big ways.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/us-jordan-peele-titles-double-meaning-state-america-inspired-new-horror-movie-150000244.html

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. The one problem with that is that the double meaning is so vague it could be applied in almost any direction: on the one hand the "other" in this movie is actively trying to kill people, but then again the "other" is only trying to do so because they've been intentionally neglected by those same people and put into a terrible situation by forces beyond their control. Although, I guess the ambiguity is the point and it's meant to make you think and the reason I've been seeing so many interpretations is because it can be taken so many different ways.

I'd agree with this . If i think of the movies that scare me the most, it's always ones that leave some/most of it to the imagination without showing or explaining too much. It's a line that horror movies have to walk constantly and usually the best ones are incredibly divisive when it comes to that.

that same article posted:

“I think one of the things in a horror movie that can challenge the scariness is when the answers are easy and it is tied up in a nice, neat bow,” Peele told Yahoo Entertainment at the film’s Los Angeles press day (watch above). “I wanted to provide enough answers to satisfy and fascinate, but also give peoples’ imagination runway to sort of take them into their nightmares.”

I've always thought that science fiction does better with more explanation, while horror does better with less. Making something like Us that straddles those genres a bit is tough, but it worked for me here.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Do we really need to see them feed the rabbits onscreen or can we just assume they were feeding the rabbits

I didn't care or need to see this but it would have been dope if there was even a passing shot of one of the Tethered chowing down on some raw bun. Maybe Peele thought that that would dehumanize them, but if that's the case why include that detail?

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 26, 2019

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

I've just realized how much I would have loved a Peele re-adaptation of Coraline of all things.

I'm gonna need a remake of The People Under The Stairs first, please

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Billy Pilgrim posted:

About Red's voice, I took it as her throat being damaged when she was choked by Adelaide before the switch, maybe coupled with her not actually speaking much for 33 years.
I have no idea if that's how voices work and thinking back I'm now doubting my memory that she was choked, that did happen right?
Does this make sense or is there some other explanation, besides creepy horror movie monster has creepy voice?

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/lupita-nyongo-us-voice-robert-f-kennedy-jr-1202052716/

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can anyone honestly say that explanations for all the underground stuff would have made the movie scarier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What did the Tethered do on 9/11?

Same thing everyone else did. Block party