Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The guy from It Follows helped with the cinematography and man that was really for the best. It tried blending horror and comedy more with lightly mixed results; as a whole I thought it was good but some of the comedy in the moment of the terror was a bit too jarring. I was also expecting it to be more like Get Out and social horror but it's not, there's small seeds of social horror but it's more...existential horror, as in the horror of existence and the things we can't see. Also I lightly agree about the plot and ideas being kind of a mess, but if someone else tried to make this movie it would be annoyingly unwatchable. I'd give it a light recommendation; it's not essential to watch it but if you like horror you seriously could do worse and I don't feel like it wasted my time, I didn't spoil myself and was just enjoying the way it unfolded and the paths it took.

The characters are interestingly and pretty realistically flawed too, I enjoyed that. Gabe in particular is very dadly and falls into dad horror movie problems but his dad horror movie problems have some realistic weight to them and as a whole the family is just...kind of accurate to life in their dynamic and the fact that they're together without being saccharine/unlikable horror movie fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah I'll cop to that guy's review, that sums up how I feel about it pretty handily.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I do like that fundamentally the reason why they're wearing red jumpsuits with one glove is because Red was scared of Thriller as a kid and she based their uniform of terror on the last scary thing from aboveground.

Actually in general I like that all of their terror and planning and tactics stems from a developmentally stunted kid clinging to their fears and memories and distorting them over the span of decades into cargo cult trappings. I like that angle in general but this worked especially great here.