Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So the reason the two little girls meet is that one somehow guided the other along the correct mirrored path to reach the exit, right? She should've been stuck at the bottom of that escalator, slowly walking in place, because the girl up top walked suspensefully slow.

It was a really fun scary movie but that part stood out probably due to the excellent comedy bits. It would've been a funny set-up for a gag but had to go unused to let the plot happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

McKilligan posted:

Red/Adelaide were able to switch due to the power outage disabling the escalator.

I forgot all about the power outage so this clears up the literal one thing that was actually bothering me. It was just coincidence. Which we know the protagonist comes to view very cynically if not fearfully; if something terrible can happen from a simple coincidence, seeing a coincidence might make you paranoid.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Everyone in this thread knows you can walk up down escalators right? The giant fancy golden escalator into the underworld isn't an actual barrier that could keep anyone from escaping.

Is dante's inferno ruined by the fact all the souls could probably just walk out the big fancy inscribed gate and there is no 10 page description of the detector circuit that opens and closes it? to let dante in and out but not the unaligned angels and spiritually incontinent?

I dunno, in a way it actually feels like it fits better per nightmare logic. There's some terrible unknown spooky world of malicious people who look no different than you, and there's only a laughable "obstacle" they could easily get past because you, yourself, immediately know that you definitely could get past it -- but they haven't so far.

A staircase that goes backwards feels like a good fit for many other reasons; it's good that it's not a card locked laboratory quarantine door. They're trapped because the underworld dwellers are stripped of self actualization, stuck following the rules as usual, and thus lack the ability to overcome what looks like a very simple non-barrier to us. They can't fathom or manage simply going up the sides, and don't have the option/freedom to sprint down the middle.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

We literally saw what happens when a member of the underclass joins the upper class without a leader telling them to start a war. They assimilate and join society just like everyone else.

Under no circumstances is the movie arguing that the underclass are inherently violent.

In fact, they've been passive this entire time without that extra bit of influence. Whether or not it was manipulative could get extra discussion, including how selfish (or not?) the motivation was.