Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Some of you must watch a lot of Cinemasins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

moths posted:

The tethered were creepy and cool, but I didn't really understand what exactly about living in the underground complex made them psychotic monsters.

Red's first monologue about the conditions sounded pretty miserable! But finding out that they can just walk out seemed to severely undercut that.

It's a lovely lie that you can "just pull your bootstraps" to escape poverty... but two flights of stairs? As a barrier-to-class-mobility metaphor, that's bad.

It was definitely a fun movie, and parts worked better than others, but I think it was a mistake to ever show us the complex.

The larger obstacle was that they did not have souls or individual agency. It was more about their place in society than their actual physical location.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

moths posted:

The character who gave us that information wasn't a tethered, though. The souls speech is their speculation, and we know from their revolt / uprising that they did have independent agency.

The first tethered we see in present day is that bloody-handed man on the beach, and the one in 1986 acted independently as well.

The uprising is the result of them following someone who technically isn't tethered and was able to briefly wrest control from their duplicate on the surface. Without that leader figure they would've stayed down there forever. And Adelaide was special, as is pointed out repeatedly. Because sometimes the poor do escape their circumstances, but if they do so by turning their back on all the other underprivileged, they become part of the problem.