Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I also firmly believe that if he'd started in MLB at say, 21, he'd have Rose's record
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dutchy posted:

If anything you're being conservative, that 189 per season number includes nearly a full decade of Ichiro not really being good anymore. Barring injury six more years of 20-something Ichiro breaks Rose's record comfortably imo
Yup. I think he'd have gotten there easily.

An important part of this is the fact that NPB only played 130-135 games per season while he was there. He only broke 200 hits once in Japan (at age 20!) because of this short season length. His AVG in NPB was .353, and he hit .350 his first year in MLB. He averaged .331 his first decade in MLB.

If he makes the majors by age 20-21 I think he pretty clearly beats Rose's record.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

I propose we once and for all cede the "Hit King" nickname to that degenerate gambler and instead refer to Ichiro by the humble moniker "Hit Emperor"
ok but next time I’m in Vegas I’m still gonna try to get Pete Rose to whore himself out for my amusement and sign “Ichiro is the one true Hit King” on a baseball

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

Why not bring two baseballs and have him write that on one and "Ichiro is the one true Hit Emperor" on the other?
:hmmyes: