Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Lol why would employees leave good employers

"Good" in this case means from a shareholder perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://twitter.com/TGranicAllen/status/1164161431568359429

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Et tu, Tayna?

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Like all of you, I will turn down any business class upgrades as a show of solidarity with my economy class brothers and sisters.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
gently caress just watched the opposition's statements about not having the testimony in parliament. gently caress these people, the SNC poo poo is petty bullshit, it's like barely a story, and not one of these motherfuckers has said poo poo about our continued support and continuing business with loving Bolsanaro or Modi or MBS. We are watching genocides happen around the world and the most we can get upset about is a attempt at a backroom deal that I guarantee every single one of them would have tried to do too

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Math class stays spicy.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I like this quote I saw on reddit:

quote:

Welcome to Canadian politics, where the voters are afraid that the Liberals won't keep their election promises, and afraid that the Conservatives will.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Defund the CBC.

https://twitter.com/derrickokeefe/status/1164323575043465216

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
These splits sure are something

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1164575450468933634?s=20

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1164577432525070336?s=20

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1164578344270278660?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Manitoba: Winnipeg/Everywhere Else

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Winnipeg has 55% of the population of the province within the perimeter highway and 60% if you count all the bedroom communities around it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao men are the worst

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I’m dying. Interesting to note, according to that poll, that less than 50% of people would want a conservative government.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

vyelkin posted:

lmao men are the worst

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Whiskey_Dick posted:

That headline is slightly misleading. "No-show" implies (to me anyway) that that the Conservatives agreed to attend, and then didn't show up the day of. The article suggests that the Conservatives declined to attend well in advance, citing other commitments. It still doesn't look great, though - I agree with you on that.

I also agree that most of the voterbase won't care. However, I don't think it's for lack of empathy - rather a lack of trust in the unknown. The vast majority of Conservative voters I have met are kind and generous. However, they tend to be more invested in friends and family rather than groups of people they have never met. A debate about "poverty" won't interest most Conservatives - they don't know the "impoverished" and likely assume that it's just a group of people looking for a hand out. Conversely, if you told a group of Conservatives that three of their neighbours couldn't afford to eat dinner, you would likely have a captive audience.

Interestingly enough, I was having a debate with a coworker about the need for public housing and other social programs and he seemed uninterested, but came back to me later in the week to explain how he checked in on a friend who it turned out had been forced to become homeless and that made him reevaluate the arguments I gave him.

Gotta insidiously pry your way into their brains and plant the seeds of doubt.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

littleorv posted:

I’m dying. Interesting to note, according to that poll, that less than 50% of people would want a conservative government.

Strangely, that rarely prevents a Conservative government from being elected

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The greens are a joint venture between the liberals and conservatives to make sure the NDP are never elected anywhere, not that they deserve to be elected.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's good that Winnipeg is more in favour of the NDP since we generally decide what's up.

But who the gently caress knows. Imagine if we had electoral reform so the NDP, LIB and Greens could be combined or something.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I'm 99% sure the Manitoba Greens will take at least one seat this year

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Imagine if all the Boomer/Silent suburban/rural uneducated white men weren't complete assholes.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Does anyone know what the polls for the Manitoba election looked like last time? I am extremely lazy and don’t want to expend the effort to look myself.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Every vote was basically made to get rid of Sellinger.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

This is taken from the Mainstreet Poll released on March 29th, 2016 which was 20 days before the last election, AKA where we are now

With Undecideds
All of Manitoba

Winnipeg

Rest of Manitoba

Decided and Leaning Voters only
Winnipeg

Rest of Manitoba

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

eXXon posted:

Imagine if all the Boomer/Silent suburban/rural uneducated white men weren't complete assholes.

I can much easier imagine electoral reform happening in Canada than this.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Every vote was basically made to get rid of Sellinger.

When half his own party mutinied and tried to vote him out it should’ve been a pretty loving obvious sign

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Going by that based on decided voters

Change from March 29th, 2016 to August 19th, 2019

Winnipeg
NDP(+13%)
PC(-5%)
LIB(-11%)
GRN(+2%)

Rest of Manitoba
NDP(-12%)
PC(0%)
LIB(+12%)
GRN(0%)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Rest of Manitoba
NDP(-12%)
PC(0%)
LIB(+12%)
GRN(0%)

lmao

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Interesting. Thanks.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I sure love living in the rest of Manitoba.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend's fairly normal brother moved to rest of Manitoba a few years ago. Coming back to Victoria for a family BBQ he was going on about how white's all need guns to defend them selves from the roving bands of violent thieving natives and how the media and government will always demonize any white person who defend them selves and their property.

Rest of Manitoba seems like a very bad place.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Can you guess the area of Winnipeg that primarily rich and white?

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...y-liberals.html

quote:

The Liberals are challenging Andrew Scheer to end his “boycott” of gay pride events after unearthing a 2005 speech the Conservative leader made suggesting same-sex marriage cannot be considered marriage at all.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale released a video of the speech Thursday that shows Scheer, then 25, explaining why he opposed the Civil Marriage Act, which legalized same-sex unions in Canada.

“How many legs would a dog have if you counted the tail as a leg? The answer is just four,” Scheer said, paraphrasing a quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

“Just because a tail is called a leg does not make it a leg. If Bill C-38 passes, governments and individual Canadians will be forced to call a tail a leg, nothing more, but that is not inconsequential, for its effect on marriage, such an integral building block of our society, would have far-reaching effects.”

In the speech, Scheer said the most important thing to society is raising children because society’s “very survival requires it.”

“Homosexual unions are by nature contradictory to this … Two members of the same sex may use their God-given free will to engage in acts, to cohabit and to own property together,” Scheer continued.

“In that sense, they have many of the collateral features of marriage, but they do not have its inherent feature, as they cannot commit to the natural procreation of children. They cannot therefore be married.”

To be fair, Canada has always forced married couples to have children, and then forcibly annulled relationships where the partners would not, could not, or simply no longer were having children.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I would probably bet money on the fact that if Scheer comes out in support of Same-Sex marriage Social Conservatives would flock to the PPC in droves

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

DariusLikewise posted:

I would probably bet money on the fact that if Scheer comes out in support of Same-Sex marriage Social Conservatives would flock to the PPC in droves

And then Mad Max gets into the debates?

EDIT: On the subject of people with Max's views.

https://twitter.com/CityAdrian/status/1164608182058147841

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 22, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Birudojin posted:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...y-liberals.html

To be fair, Canada has always forced married couples to have children, and then forcibly annulled relationships where the partners would not, could not, or simply no longer were having children.

This comes up now and then and I always post the same response which is that it's cool to know Andrew Scheer thinks my marriage to my wife is illegitimate because we chose not to have children.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

This comes up now and then and I always post the same response which is that it's cool to know Andrew Scheer thinks my marriage to my wife is illegitimate because we chose not to have children.

It's a pretty common right wing "argument" and yeah it's extremely easy to pick apart but the frustrating thing is that doesn't matter because none of the arguments they make matter. The point itself is the argument that's persuasive to his base; the justification is just the necessary theatrics to allow them to deny that it's pure bigotry that drives their belief system.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Societies very survival probably relies on the deaths of a couple billion children, at this juncture, not making GBS threads out even more.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Too bad NDP isn't doing better or Libs could have discovered the stuff tommy douglas said when he was 25.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rime posted:

Societies very survival probably relies on the deaths of a couple billion children, at this juncture, not making GBS threads out even more.

No, it depends on business and society in general not buff chugging carbon like it’s a 40 of vodka and shifts in patterns of consumption.

Falling that, I’d prefer to sooner off myself than have kids dying for something they couldn’t possibly be responsible for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Too bad NDP isn't doing better or Libs could have discovered the stuff tommy douglas said when he was 25.

Nobody who was going to vote for Scheer likely gave a single poo poo about his thoughts on gay people