Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Per posted:

Some years ago there was an A/T thread from an Argentinian who wanted to move to London to be an actor. Everybody shat on the idea, but I do believe he went ahead and moved there. Does anyone remember that and know what happened after?

Iirc he had Portuguese or Spanish citizenship through a parent/grandparent so could just show up. I think he hated it in the end though and I want to say moved to Lisbon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

McMadCow posted:

I'm currently applying to two teaching positions. The likelihood of them leading to a sponsored visa are one in a zillion, but I'm doing it anyway. The purpose of the thread was to get a general lay of the land on the immigration lottery.
Excellent. I don't think they do a lottery like we do. Keep forming relationships with people in your field in the place you want to move to. Even if it doesn't work out, you've networked.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Have you looked at the UK Skills Shortage list? My partner came to the UK to work as a paramedic and was offered work right away for the London Ambulance Service.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Hi, I'm a dumbass who decided to move to London after my undergrad. I have been trying not to get eaten by the Tory immigration hell nightmare for about 5 years now.

Here's how I have gotten where I am:

-Got the youth mobility visa (tier 5) for two years. This depends on age and country, and unfortunately I don't think you qualify for either being a 30+ American.

-I used this time to make myself indispensable to a company here so they would sponsor me when that visa was up.

-A ton of legislation has come into effect since then that would make even that a difficult plan to start now, I pretty much squeaked in at the last minute this was possible

Here are some myths that I can dispel for you:

-There are insane qualifications on what kind of job you can get but if you find a shortage job the restrictions are much lighter
-You need to be making a lot of money at this job to get an indefinite leave to remain, which you have to get after 5 years on the work visa or you get turfed. This amount is increasing every year
-This doesn't apply to you but I have a chip on my shoulder about it: being from the commonwealth means jack poo poo, you get no privileges whatsoever from being a Canadian or Aussie
-You cannot earn ILR or citizenship from a visa gotten by an intra-company transfer. So while working for an American company in London will let you stay here for a few years, you won't be allowed to stay permanently

TL:DR; marry someone for a visa, it is 100000x easier

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

But also saying that, it is super depressing and disheartening to go through this route and I know how little sympathy people are willing to give for it. I'm rooting for you, it's not impossible with the right amount of absolutely astronomical luck. :cool:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
British man with American wife here. It took something like eight years for my wife to get full UK residential rights (known as ILR or indefinite leave to remain). This is not even citizenship, just the right to reside and use the facilities. This cost a lot of money in lawyers fees, and necessitated her providing the Home Office with a stack of paper two feet tall. It required us to prove we could support ourselves while she wasn’t allowed to work (minimum of £37,000 a year as a couple, so if you’re poor the UK won’t have you). It required my parents to sign a piece of paper saying that if I lost my ability to provide for us, that they would house us free of charge. A whole host of stuff exactly like the film ‘Green Card’. Photos of us, statements from all our friends and family that we were who we said we were, details of where, when, and how we met. An almost endless list.
My father in law, who would like to live in the UK, is of independent means and would need nothing at all from the state (he would be literally a net financial gain for the UK). But he has no route to a visa here unless either a) he massively increases his net worth or b) becomes dependent on his daughter for assistance.
Reducing net migration has been a major focus of the last several governments in this country, frequently to the detriment of our overall skill base. Brexit does not currently appear to be likely to improve the outlook.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

womb with a view posted:

-This doesn't apply to you but I have a chip on my shoulder about it: being from the commonwealth means jack poo poo, you get no privileges whatsoever from being a Canadian or Aussie

To be fair this is bidirectional. Canada wouldn't cut me a break either for example.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

feedmegin posted:

To be fair this is bidirectional. Canada wouldn't cut me a break either for example.

Guessing you're from the UK, in which case the difference is that Justin Trudeau isn't your head of state/sovereign. If we're stuck with the Queen we might as well get something out of it, other than a foreign face on a coin who can unilaterally dismiss our democratically elected government.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Yeah, it's not a privilege anywhere really. I'm just so sick of Brits looking at me like :confused: but you're Canadian

Also, that ^^^

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't say it's completely worthless... being a Commonwealth citizen is allowing me to pursue the UK Ancestry Visa, which on the whole seems pretty great.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Torquemada posted:

British man with American wife here. It took something like eight years for my wife to get full UK residential rights (known as ILR or indefinite leave to remain). This is not even citizenship, just the right to reside and use the facilities.

um i hate to break it to you but i have flown to the UK as a tourist on multiple occasions and i used the hell out of the facilities within minutes of arrival

with some things its better to beg forgiveness than ask permission

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
i don't think 'using facilities' meant 'barfing in the airport toilets'

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Earwicker posted:

um i hate to break it to you but i have flown to the UK as a tourist on multiple occasions and i used the hell out of the facilities within minutes of arrival

with some things its better to beg forgiveness than ask permission

Alright, now try getting unemployment benefits.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

suck my woke dick posted:

i don't think 'using facilities' meant 'barfing in the airport toilets'

Correct. I meant the NHS, the legal system, paying your taxes and whatnot, I figured he was engaging in a piece of frivolous paronomasia.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Thanks for the laughs if nothing else, guys. I'm really gutted at how hopeless it seems, especially since my choice of field is what seems to be holding me back. Hopefully I can figure this out someday, but I'm not holding my breath...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Thanks for the laughs if nothing else, guys. I'm really gutted at how hopeless it seems, especially since my choice of field is what seems to be holding me back. Hopefully I can figure this out someday, but I'm not holding my breath...

you are an artist, a photographer. why are you restricting yourself to the legal solution instead of putting your creativity and skills to work?

for example: britain has politicians, politicians of all nations are idiots who frequently put themselves in compromising situations, and they tend to dislike being photographed when that happens. so all you need to do is figure out who's got the right power and influence to get your papers sorted for you, figure out what their vices are, and set them up in a nice a little photoshoot

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Earwicker posted:

you are an artist, a photographer. why are you restricting yourself to the legal solution instead of putting your creativity and skills to work?

for example: britain has politicians, politicians of all nations are idiots who frequently put themselves in compromising situations, and they tend to dislike being photographed when that happens. so all you need to do is figure out who's got the right power and influence to get your papers sorted for you, figure out what their vices are, and set them up in a nice a little photoshoot

You're right, I've definitely been looking into the "by-the-book" and "legal" routes instead of playing to my strengths.
I'd start by stalking Boris Johnson, but I don't think that guy has any shame to exploit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Just gotta get David Cameron in the same room as a pig, seems easy enough