Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Hi, I'm a dumbass who decided to move to London after my undergrad. I have been trying not to get eaten by the Tory immigration hell nightmare for about 5 years now.

Here's how I have gotten where I am:

-Got the youth mobility visa (tier 5) for two years. This depends on age and country, and unfortunately I don't think you qualify for either being a 30+ American.

-I used this time to make myself indispensable to a company here so they would sponsor me when that visa was up.

-A ton of legislation has come into effect since then that would make even that a difficult plan to start now, I pretty much squeaked in at the last minute this was possible

Here are some myths that I can dispel for you:

-There are insane qualifications on what kind of job you can get but if you find a shortage job the restrictions are much lighter
-You need to be making a lot of money at this job to get an indefinite leave to remain, which you have to get after 5 years on the work visa or you get turfed. This amount is increasing every year
-This doesn't apply to you but I have a chip on my shoulder about it: being from the commonwealth means jack poo poo, you get no privileges whatsoever from being a Canadian or Aussie
-You cannot earn ILR or citizenship from a visa gotten by an intra-company transfer. So while working for an American company in London will let you stay here for a few years, you won't be allowed to stay permanently

TL:DR; marry someone for a visa, it is 100000x easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

But also saying that, it is super depressing and disheartening to go through this route and I know how little sympathy people are willing to give for it. I'm rooting for you, it's not impossible with the right amount of absolutely astronomical luck. :cool:

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

feedmegin posted:

To be fair this is bidirectional. Canada wouldn't cut me a break either for example.

Yeah, it's not a privilege anywhere really. I'm just so sick of Brits looking at me like :confused: but you're Canadian

Also, that ^^^