Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if you have a business idea and are good at bullshitting you can become an entrepreneur and legally live in the Netherlands courtesy of the DAFT (Dutch American Friendship Treaty). then you'll become a Dutch person and have EU citizenship, so you'll just need to wait a couple years and then find a Brit who looks like you who is looking to escape, and trade identities with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

P-Mack posted:

Used to be you could trace back your ancestry and see if you might already unknowingly qualify for citizenship in an EU country, Germany for instance has very broad jus sanguinis rules. But presumably Brexit will be putting the kibosh on that route.

are you thinking of Italy? last I looked into it (which I admit was some time ago) Germany only offers citizenship to people with one or both German parents, not people who just has some German ancestry

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 28, 2019

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

or you can marry a british person

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Torquemada posted:

British man with American wife here. It took something like eight years for my wife to get full UK residential rights (known as ILR or indefinite leave to remain). This is not even citizenship, just the right to reside and use the facilities.

um i hate to break it to you but i have flown to the UK as a tourist on multiple occasions and i used the hell out of the facilities within minutes of arrival

with some things its better to beg forgiveness than ask permission

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Thanks for the laughs if nothing else, guys. I'm really gutted at how hopeless it seems, especially since my choice of field is what seems to be holding me back. Hopefully I can figure this out someday, but I'm not holding my breath...

you are an artist, a photographer. why are you restricting yourself to the legal solution instead of putting your creativity and skills to work?

for example: britain has politicians, politicians of all nations are idiots who frequently put themselves in compromising situations, and they tend to dislike being photographed when that happens. so all you need to do is figure out who's got the right power and influence to get your papers sorted for you, figure out what their vices are, and set them up in a nice a little photoshoot