Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Glad it’s coming. Also I think the op is being a bit unfair to Subaru. By the end of the season he was very likable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

a kitten posted:

One of the things i like about this is how little Subaru knows about any of it. No goddess told him "hey if you die you'll come back", once he figures that out he has no way of knowing if his resurrections are limited or infinite (he knows that dying loving sucks though), and he has no idea what his "checkpoints" or what their success conditions may be. If he just managed not to be killed for years, but didn't do whatever it was he was supposed to do, would he think he succeeded only to suddenly pop back 20 years after he gets run down by a wagon or something?

It's one of the reasons he is fairly nervous about dying. (Along with it sucking) About the only thing he is sure of now, is that the Witch of Envy is responsible.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

At one point (I forget if it's in Arcs 1-3 or 4, but it's not a spoiler either way) someone (I think Ram?) comments on how Subaru is utterly unremarkable in every way, but seems to somehow always be at the right place at the right time. It's kind of interesting thinking about how the events of the series must look from the perspective of the other characters who only see an uninterrupted chain of Subaru's "successful" loops. To them, Subaru must just be this dude who goes through bizarre mood swings and is randomly going places and saying things in ways that somehow result in avoiding bad outcomes.

edit: One other thing that comes to mind about Subaru's particular time travel gimmick is that it's probably for the best that he can't tell other people, because it would be immensely disturbing to find out that if this guy dies your current existence would effectively be erased and everything you did for the past couple days (or whatever) rendered irrelevant. Is the "you" from when Subaru goes back in time the same "you" as the current one? Who knows!

I heard it does not work like that, the timelines continue on without Subaru.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would say more the Sauron then Satan equivalent.

The evil Dark Lord who meanced the whole world, but is currently largely dormant, though their servants are still causing trouble.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

Didn't the director mention something along the lines of him regretting that decision, based on how much he liked both openings and endings?

They were pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGEbitYqL0

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fat and Useless posted:

I don't even remember this one, like I'm aware that a first ending existed but I couldn't tell you a number of times it actually fired off other than "more than once?". Stay Alive at least happened a few times.

I only remember it happening like once, but the song played a lot at the end of episodes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EponymousMrYar posted:

Counterpoint, the White Whale is a Big Deal(tm) and how much goes into taking it down emphasizes that. Considering how long it took to deal with Betelguese what happened was indeed a cliff notes version :v:

One of the three big magic beasts in the world if I remember.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 7, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Invictus posted:

The little animal-eared kids, I forget their names, their reaction to Betelgeuse just casually flying while in the fetal position is absolutely hilarious though.

The Pearlbaton Triplets. Mimi, Hetaro, and Tivey.

Also apparently it is plot point that Petelgeuse's name is spelt that way instead of Betelgeuse according to the author.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pedro0930 posted:

Just finished binging season 1 thanks to Isekai Quartet (sorry), really looking forward to season 2. Though it's hard to imagine how much worse can Subaru suffer. He already died multiple gruesome death, saw everyone he loved killed multiple times and broke down mentally and gave up.

Well the PV implies some stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCXlrNYghHs

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
When are the Director's Cut episodes airing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlternateNu posted:

:v:

My big complaint is how they subtitled it. To get the full impact, you can't linger on "Who". They should have written it as "Rem"...."Who's that?" Either way, I was spoiled about that twist right after the series first aired, and I remember flipping my poo poo so hard that it was originally cut.

So, outside of (LN/Manga only reveal)Al apparently also being isekai'd and having his own insane backstory, are there any major plot or character points we missed out from the director's cut that we should be aware of?

Al being Isekaied was in the Directors Cut.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yawgmoft posted:

Even just having one cour gap after that bombshell is intolerable, I can't imagine how terrible it would have been to sit on that for three years.

We were supposed to have season 2 next week. I think we can blame Covid.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
People seemed to have known the Whale can do that anyway.

As they gave squads specific numbers and if members were erased they would know, cause the numbers did not match up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't know why but I find Regulus creepier and more hatable than Batenkaitos. (And Batenkaitos is pretty bad.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dzhay posted:

Yeah, it seems like Knife Boy's power is "just" editing the memories of everyone on the planet. Which is an improvement over season 1 where I was assuming people eaten by the whale were retroactively removed from history or something.

Well it also sends you into a coma. So it's a bit worse than that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Paracelsus posted:

From Puck's description it sounded like there are two different effects he can cause, in Rem's case he did both.

Yeah, if he eats your memory like he did to Crusch you lose your memories, if he eats your name everyone else forgets you, if he does both you also fall into a coma.

I am guessing he has to actually know the persons name to eat it which is why he got Rem to say her name.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't think you need to post spoilers to each time someone speculates. We know you are excited but you need to slow down.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Natural 20 posted:

That Subaru even has a connection to pride is something that i didn't have any real reason to suspect and is why I won't read this thread and more.

Well Betelguese brought it up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I read a bit of Arc 4's start in advance and I must say in order to keep up the pacing they kind of undersold Regulus. Lye as well slightly. Edit These are not true spoilers just dialog from the web novel that shows the Sin Arch bishops talking a bit more. Namely the scene where he cut off Cruschs arm.

quote:

[Man: ……attacking someone while they’re talking, just where are your manners?]

Head tilted, as if flaunting how his body took no damage, the man just stood there.
His existence was utterly unaffected by a slash that could rend even the White Whale’s armor. The man’s body―― no, even his clothes were unscathed.

He did not defend the attack. Rather, it was something wholly different and unknown.

Crusch could not help but hold her breath, and Rem froze in place, after witnessing something so far outside the realm of understanding. In front of them, the man sighed for the first time.

[Man: You know…] he went on with a tone lowered by displeasure,

[Man: I was talking. Wasn’t I talking just now? And then you interrupted me. Isn’t that a bit impolite? Don’t you think that was wrong? I have the right to speak… even though I don’t really want to have to point this out, but to not interrupt people when they’re speaking… isn’t that just common social decency? You’re free to listen or not listen I won’t bother you about that, but just what are you trying to do by not letting me talk?]

As he ranted, the man occasionally stomped the ground with a displeased expression on his face. And just like this, he pointed his finger at the two in front of him, both now eerily speechless.

[Man: And now you’re quiet, what is this? You’re listening. You were listening, right? Wasn’t I asking you something? Then give me some kind of reply, it should be like that, right? You won’t even do that, don’t even want to. Ah, ah, freedom. That’s your freedom. You see me ranting and you want to kill me, then when I ask you a question, you ignore me like I’m the wind. So it’s like that, is it? Well you’re free to do that. Alright, let’s just say it’s like that. But then, what is that supposed to mean?]

Seeing the two standing silently in front of him bracing for an attack, he tilted his head and stared at them with his sharp eyes, and then, with a smothered voice,

[Man: You’re disregarding my Right to speak――one of my only few possessions, right?]

Just as a chill ran up Rem’s back, the man took a step forward. His drooping arm lifted, sweeping up a small gust of wind.

Then, on the same line as the motion of his arm―― the earth, the air, and the world parted in two.

Round and round and round, Crusch’s severed left shoulder flew into the air.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 13, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why are you posting huge page long spoiler blocks? Can we stop with the spoilers in the thread? Otherwise I feel like I should just stop reading it.
It is just dialog from the Web Novel on stuff already covered namely Regulus and Lye showing up.

Julias posted:

I think they were just posting parts of the Light novel/Web novel that were covered but different from the anime, but if that's not the case could someone who is following along let us know? Because yeah we don't need huge blocks of spoilers for future events or hints at characters and their personalities.

It is just some stuff already covered. But just expanded on. Namely just Regulus and Lye talking a bit more. You requested that comparions between the Web Novel and Anime be put in spoilers.

Nitrousoxide posted:

A: I have no way of knowing whether what is under the spoilers is truly spoilery or not without removing the block. I'm not going to do that one episode into this new season.

if you want to have a discussion about things that haven't come up yet in the anime can you just make a light novel thread and discuss in there?
That is my fault sorry, I should have originally posted saying it is not a spoiler just some extra dialog that was in the novel. Everything in it has already come up and it does hint at future events beyond the anime other then giving a little bit of an extra glimpse at the personality of Regulus

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 13, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, if it's just stuff that's already happened, you can sorta discuss it like Julias previously recommended.

But also, you don't have to quote huge chunks of text. Just like "Oh, Regulus said this and elaborated on this a bit more on the OG web novel/light novel".

I mean hell, I've been looking forward to this adaptation almost as much as y'all, and last thing I want to worry about are spoilers.

Removed most of it, its just the scene where he removed Cruschs arm now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

This lady seems nice.

Which one. Fredrica, or the Witch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

New ED is pretty good.

It's the OP.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That op was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-RUTZBbGwM

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah you dont need to make a fancy op.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Could also be from Satellite

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It was super relatable. Had similar issues during my high school years though I did succeed in working through it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Starsnostars posted:

Was it specified why Subaru's dad was so well thought of by people? It came across like he was a minor celebrity of some kind.

I think he was just a popular dude.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nitrousoxide posted:

Who is this? I have no memory of who this is

Elsa the villain of the first arc.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tabletops posted:

Roswaal is I think a giant loving idiot. Like if Subaru didn't essentially have to ability to time travel every decision he's made would have been actually the worst possible one.

Subaru pointed that out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hogama posted:

I enjoyed Ram and Frederica being sparring partners in banter, and the episode also confirmed my suspicions from last time that Ram definitely has... SOME kind of vestigial recollection (her face when Subaru mentioned Rem during the argument with Roswaal was not the face of someone who wasn't affected at all). Interesting implications on the absolute limits of Gluttony's power.

Well it is a name that sounds a lot like hers. But Ram herself said that looking at Rem's body all she could feel was a blank, despite being able to clearly feel they were related.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hogama posted:

She said herself seemed to recall being tossed before Subaru even mentioned Rem this loop, but there's absolutely no context where he'd be allowed to do that except the specific case with her sister, and with Rem being written out of her memories, it's got to be hella confusing to try and rectify that thought.

It's why she was confused when he mentioned tossing her. Because it's probably makes very little sense in her memory.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Annointed posted:

It could be that Return by Death is having side effects like people remembering previous loops? If so why now? Why Ram instead of anyone else Subaru has been involved with?

Don't think so. Ram's memory there was of the loop they went through.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Subaru was only holding on to her arm. We then flash to her body under the debris.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Trying to understand how much time he has.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LostRook posted:

To put episode 5 and 6 in a timeline:

Episode 5

Night 1 he passes the trial, has the discussion with Garf, Otto and Ryuzu and then talks with Emilia.

Day 1 he talks with Ram about people trying to stop the barrier being broken

Night 2 he talks with Garf as Emilia fails the trial again, then has a discussion with Roswal.

Day 2 he packs up the villagers of Arlam and returns to the mansion, not arriving until the end of the day.

Episode 6

Night 1 passes much the same except Emilia is in the discussion as well and he talks to Roswal about leaving the next day.

Day 1 he quickly leaves in the morning with Ram arriving at the mansion around midday.

I thought there was an extra day in episode 5 as he said it took him another day to convince Garf to let the villagers leave.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 15, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He totally did. He introduced himself as "Archbishop of the Witches Cult representing Sloth Betelgeuse Romanee-Conti."

He instead of being Slolthful himself, seemed to dislike those that showed sloth and was incredibly diligent instead.

Regulus instead stated he was content, but disliked having what he viewed as his rights being taken from him. "That's a violation of my right to speak one of my few possessions"
Batankaitos seemed to represent his sin the most, but is not hungry for food.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On her downsides she is attracted to people in clown makeup.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think that was Subaru's most horrible death yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

, specifying timeframe for his return and that only Subaru, Frederica and Petra would be the ones present.

I think she stated the only ones who were supposed to be present when she attacked would be two maids and a shut-in. And shut-in best describes Beatrice as Subaru has never acted like a shut-in in this world. It would explain why Elsa opened all of the doors.