Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

my dad posted:

At least they're level 3 thrones, which usually require large armies and some prepwork to take.

Or 1 good thug with lightning resist gear is some cases. :v:

Level 3 UW thrones are a joke as a note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
remove thug remove vine shield

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Ramc posted:

Level 3 UW thrones are a joke as a note.

This is probably the worst part about them, there don't appear to be special guardians for underwater thrones. Above water you'll see magical troops, wizards with a lot of gems, and some pretender chassis's with a bunch of magic paths. Below the waves you'll see the same chumps you do everywhere else, just like 2-3 times as many.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Alright everyone so the most important choice you can make in Dominions 5 is giving your prophet a funny or cool name. If you don't do it everyone will know you for the fraud that you are. There is no higher shame than forgetting to rename a prophet.

Aha the colossal head meme. Very good. This god's titles make him sound like a cool guy to hang out with.

The TC Ivory Tower keeping it in theme. I judge this to be good. I am sure there is some cutting commentary to be had here between the god name and the titles.

Burnie would have fun. The Lord of Penitential Torture is an incredible title.

C'tis has such pure admiration here I can't fault it. His titles are certainly present.

im not going to google this reference but at least he is nice to the dead :)

Oh my gosh Vanheim on the one hand those epithets rock on the other hand you didn't rename your prophet surely he will be consigned to dust and deserves no other fate.

'yomi voice' g how to rename a prophet
lord of bricks lol

Et tu, Nazca? Come on guys this is IMPORTANT. Also you can't be the star of the sea that's my job.

How does he feel about the fate of Hard Brexit? I guess his dudes must love writing in the dirt.

Thank you for joining us for our special update- Prophet Motives.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

im not going to google this reference but at least he is nice to the dead :)

I assume the reference is to this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmys4LH9jTE

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Barono posted:

This is probably the worst part about them, there don't appear to be special guardians for underwater thrones. Above water you'll see magical troops, wizards with a lot of gems, and some pretender chassis's with a bunch of magic paths. Below the waves you'll see the same chumps you do everywhere else, just like 2-3 times as many.

Sometimes you get a Mind Lord aboleth but they are not scary.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

loving shameful lack of renaming yeah

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

loving shameful lack of renaming yeah

I am embarrassed by proxy to show this. Just drinking and wondering if I should just close it right here. God.

they didnt rename

it should be probatable

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ramc posted:

C'tis has such pure admiration here I can't fault it. His titles are certainly present.
You might say the titles were... an afterthought :haw:

Seriously though, what do you have to do to get that title?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I don't remember what I named my prophet, something pretty stupid I'm sure.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

I don't remember what I named my prophet, something pretty stupid I'm sure.

I do remember what I named my prophet, but yeah, it's also very stupid. :v:

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Straight White Shark posted:

It's on all the time (this is another new feature of some blesses, so you can have things like forest survival blesses etc. that affect strategic movement), but the key word is "incarnate"... meaning that it's only active if your pretender is awake and alive in the world.

Ah so you can suddenly have your armies drown when your pretender dies. Fun!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Pierzak posted:

Seriously though, what do you have to do to get that title?
I remember there was a list of titles someone on the Illwinter forums (I think) compiled for Dom 3 or 4, but should still be fairly accurate. Can't seem to find it, though.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

TravelLog posted:

Ah so you can suddenly have your armies drown when your pretender dies. Fun!

In a Mo Money Mo Problems game (not the LP one) I cast wish to kill Howareu's nation's god to disable his Blood Vengeance bless in the magic phase before a big fight.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Ramc posted:

In a Mo Money Mo Problems game (not the LP one) I cast wish to kill Howareu's nation's god to disable his Blood Vengeance bless in the magic phase before a big fight.

:golfclap:

That was a phenomenal LP and I have been waiting for this one for too long.

One of these days I will actually buy the game and play it.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
in one of the first blitzes we played after release someone had their dragon pretender go out of candles underwater, immediately making it forget how to breathe water instead of air so it drowned, which then drowned all of his armies who were reliant upon that dragon being alive to know how to breathe water

Ramc
May 4, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

I remember there was a list of titles someone on the Illwinter forums (I think) compiled for Dom 3 or 4, but should still be fairly accurate. Can't seem to find it, though.

If someone wants to find and deconstruct feel free it is outside the scope of my aims. I just kind of gut check what the titles mean rather than actually looking them up because ultimately knowing early doesn't matter. It's like jazz. It's the stats you don't look up.

Ramc fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 26, 2019

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

TravelLog posted:

:golfclap:

That was a phenomenal LP and I have been waiting for this one for too long.

One of these days I will actually buy the game and play it.

Put it on your wishlist, it goes on sale all the time!

Ramc posted:

You're very good at finding ways to gently caress me over at the worst possible time. Ramc is the villain of my dominions life!

How are u fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 26, 2019

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

You're very good at finding ways to gently caress me over at the worst possible time. Ramc is the villain of my dominions life!

remember when you were arco in the game where i was pan in the game where there was a mod to nerf pan that didnt actually nerf pan remotely at all

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

How are u posted:

Put it on your wishlist, it goes on sale all the time!

Sadly, it is not the :10bux:, it's the time/job.

It's on my wishlist though and one day I will join you crazy bastards and play at being god.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

How are u posted:

Ramc is the villain of my dominions life!

Ramc.....the Great Serpent........

Ramc
May 4, 2008

It's turn 3!

What a boring start. Not even any of the missing prophets! Lets see the big fight at THE GRANDFATHER
something something elder abuse

This is the setup for my army with the mass of starting chaff in the middle and my horses on attack rear. Also as you can see once my prophet casts his spell my sacreds are :blessed:

At the absolute minimum a bless grants +1 morale to a sacred unit. My bless also grants, at this time, +2 defense. +2 defense is a water bless that costs 3 of your water bless points this will make more sense later probably sort of. As my god is dormant any incarnate blesses will not be active yet.

come back u cowards

Shamblers, which I didnt deign to screenshot yet apparently, are reasonably beefy enemies with two attacks. They tore into my (garbage) Pelagian militia who begin to rout and flee even as my KNIGHTS OF THE DEEP put the last of them to the blade.

Here is a combat result screen. Swords mean kills, little burial crosses mean deaths so on so forth. The militia were too slow to actually leave the field proper so they do not flee to other provinces and remain in formation.

Dammit :argh:

Phaecia got the Ship Wreckers. This is not ideal as it means that Phaecia- a nation that has an island start- might be starting to secure the underwater zone around his island. We can assume pretty safely he is in the northeast end of the ocean as that looks like the only viable ocean island mechanically. ONE DAY.

Anyway I don't even WANT any unstoppable UW mercenaries I'll just buy SACRED KNIGHTS that's what I wanted I'm fine with that it's fine.

:adjusts research: not nursing any grudges here reflexively

Next turn we're going after some fish-men but the bad kind. Let's see if we can get eyes on the coast some too.

Ramc fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 30, 2019

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

You're gonna post an update and not comment on LAKE DOOM hanging out there in the corner?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't imagine the Three Pine Grove being too big.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Conot posted:

You're gonna post an update and not comment on LAKE DOOM hanging out there in the corner?

It's a false friend and means 'cool place to get hugs' in the native Pelagian tongue.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tankfish
May 31, 2013
Well at least you now know where to buy some sweet wizards robes at least.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anybody want to explain the joke (and the earlier one with the throne list) to a guy whose only experience with Dominions has been a couple LPs?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Anybody want to explain the joke (and the earlier one with the throne list) to a guy whose only experience with Dominions has been a couple LPs?

As far as thrones, the Thrones of Ascension range in value from 1 to 3. Thrones are the keystone to winning the game and you need a certain number of points to cinch the victory. Point value affects:

a) What kind of independent army there is defending the throne. 1 point thrones tend to have a decent size army, sometimes with a mage or two. 2 point thrones tend to have a medium size army with plenty of magic support, or sometimes smaller armies full of magical units. 3 point thrones have huge armies with lots of magic support and a "pretender chassis" (a unit that is normally a god) which means it can be challenging to kill barring very niche strategies targeting a weakness.

b) What kind of bonus the throne gives when claimed. These are pretty wide ranging, from changing your god's scales to spreading disease and winter and all sorts.

So basically a game with this many level 3 thrones means no one is taking a throne anytime soon. The points needed to win (12) means that someone needs 4 out of 10 thrones to win the game. (Or possibly less, if the game runs long enough, more on that later). Basically this game is guaranteed to go on a while because simply put no one would have the ability to snipe 4 thrones for a while, and everyone will be very aggressive at stopping people claiming thrones because all it takes is 4 to get the win.

(As others have noted, underwater thrones tend to have poor defenses, which makes this combination particularly dangerous for Pelagia's enemies, since Pelagia has 90% of what they need to win the game in their ocean)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pierzak posted:

There are special sites called Thrones of Ascension on the map. The thrones can range from level 1 to level 3. They have special neutral garrisons when first placed on the map, with the garrison strength depending on their level. Level 1 thrones have armies that can be beat after a bit of buildup in the early game, level 3 thrones can have extremely powerful armies that can take a lot of planning and investment of resources to defeat.

When you do conquer the province with a throne (and claim it), those thrones provide special effects. The lesser thrones might just give you a few gems, while level 3 thrones might give your dominions +2 growth scales, or give all your blessed units awe. Some even have magic school bonuses, which can be absurdly powerful.

Importantly, since Dominions 4, Thrones of Ascension also serve as an alternative victory condition. Each throne you control gives you a number of ascension points depending on their level, so 1 point for level 1 thrones, 2 for level 2 thrones, 3 for level 3 thrones. Once you control a certain number of ascension points at the end of the turn, you win. The number of ascension points (and the number and level of the thrones in the world) are set by the player who generates the map.

There are 10 level 3 thrones, for a total of 30 possible ascension points. Yet the mapmaker forgot to set an appropriate victory threshold, it takes only 12 ascension points (= controlling 4 thrones) to win. This will warp the game, because it's quite feasible to execute a quick blitz to get control of 4 thrones.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

the map is independent of throne settings actually, throne settings are determined on a game by game basis and you can use the same map with wildly different thrones

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So basically, the game's gonna be crabs in a bucket unless Pelagia snipes the thrones, which option makes them a big dangerous target?

BTW, what is the cataclysm? Is it something new to Dom5? From the context I suspect it's some king of time limit, like after X turns pass bad poo poo starts happening to the world, is it like nasty neutral globals? Or maybe just "rocks fall, everybody dies"?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
around turn X the barrier between the world and the horror world breaks down and horrors start assassinating all the mages in the world while greater horrors attack throne provinces and if they aren't stopped within 1 turn of their arrival they permanently destroy the throne and lower the ascension points required to win by the value of that throne. A cool idea but generally unfun in practice because most nations just fall apart while astral, blood and sort-of death nations all have spells that can kill a greater horror on the turn it arrives.

Pierzak posted:

Kremath is a psycho and earnestly loves terrible games

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Ermor's spawned in and does nothing but hunker down and cast Burden of Time

edit: wow permanent astral corruption's even worse

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

cataclysm is when the horrors get sick of the game taking so long and every one who uses ritual magic or forges items gets horror marks and random attacks happen against any unit capable of claiming a throne and the big bad doom horrors attack thrones and if they win the battle they destroy them, reducing the number of throne points required for victory by the level of the throne they have destroyed

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It is unashamedly a punishment for failing to win in time.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Goons love setting up horrible Dominions experiences - and not in so-bad-it's-funny ways, either. I don't know why. Maybe it's the level of masochism required to enjoy the base game.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I've never enjoyed the Cataclsym mechanic because for some dumb reason I enjoy late-game fuckery where you have too many resources and you can do silly poo poo like build vanity Super Combatants and cast Mass Enslave etc etc. A lot of people find that tedious, though, so I understand why it's an option.'

Corbeau posted:

Goons love setting up horrible Dominions experiences - and not in so-bad-it's-funny ways, either. I don't know why. Maybe it's the level of masochism required to enjoy the base game.

You played in one of the mo money games, didn't you? :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Hans... are we the horrors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Mo money itself is not the problem. That's a taste thing, though I certainly don't like it. No, it's stuff like throne fuckery or terrible map choice leading to dud games that gets to me, doubly so with stuff that isn't made clear during sign-ups.

Though now that I think of it I recall one game that was set to mo money that nobody but the game creator knew of until the first few turns. That isn't particularly cool, or fair, either.

e: All of which would be less of a problem if Dominions games didn't take dozens of ingame hours to complete.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 26, 2019