Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

quote:

Ramc 01/18/2019
you need a throne point setting for games intervention D:
i guess if i lp this at least it wont be long

Kremath 01/18/2019
eh?

Ramc 01/18/2019
4 thrones to win

Kremath 01/18/2019
I thought pande was 6

Ramc 01/18/2019
normal2

Kremath 01/18/2019
I thought that was 6 too
wtf

Ramc 01/18/2019
you might want to consider restarting but idk if you are committed
but like 2 are UW

Kremath 01/18/2019
notmal is 6
normal2
oh wait
oh no
you're right
after this mess I really don't wanna restart tho lol
oh god
math is hard

Ramc 01/18/2019
i am basically getting half my throne points for free just fair warning

Kremath 01/18/2019
ok

i warned him

anilEhilated posted:

Can't imagine the Three Pine Grove being too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ramc posted:

If someone wants to find and deconstruct feel free it is outside the scope of my aims. I just kind of gut check what the titles mean rather than actually looking them up because ultimately knowing early doesn't matter. It's like jazz. It's the stats you don't look up.
True enough. I still looked and found the list and looked through it because I was bored.

Ulm: Me Feed Ulmites, King of Kings, Lord of Poetry and Song, Lord of the Spring
The first one needs a male pretender with a dominion score of 5 or more, the second one Nature magic of 4+ on the pretender and order scales ">=65535" which is probably an off-by-one error and should be ">=0". The final title is Nature of 4+ and growth scale >=1. An interesting mechanic is that the dom score also determines how many titles a god has and this one has (just from the number of names) between 4 and 7. So we have a male pretender chassis with nature of at least 4, no turmoil and at least a bit of growth and a dom score between 5 and 7. Nature is something Ulm doesn't have easy access to, so that's interesting.

T'ien Ch'i: Coastal Elite Medial, the Consuming Fire, the Everburning One, God of Medicine
So Consuming Fire is not found on the list, so it might be new to Dom5 (since the list was made for Dom4) and is a mystery. Everburning One is fire magic of at least 4, unsurpisingly. God of Medicine indicates a positive growth scale, a male pretender, is restricted to certain units and nations and has some "unknown" requirement the maker of the list couldn't decipher. Three titles mean dom score 4-7.

Marignon: Burnie Sanders, the Master of Fires, the Lord of Penitential Torture, the Brilliant God, God of Patience
The first three titles all require various degrees of fire magic (6, 4 and 4) which is very unexpected for Mari. The second one also implies positive order scales. God of Patience also implies positive order and no sloth. Dom score 6-9. Master, Lord and God all tell us the pretender is male.

C'Tis: Top 5 Kickstarter Pens, the Afterthought, the Lord of Near and Close
Afterthought means astral magic of 4 or more. Lord of Near and Close has no requirements listed, so :shrug:. At least it's gendered as male, so it tells us at least something. The interesting thing here is that there's only two titles which means a dom score of 2-5, definitely low.

Ashpodel: Andrew R. Wheeler, Prince of this World, August Lord, God of all Young and Growing Things, the Unsleeping God, Friend of the Dead
And this is the opposite: five titles mean dom score of 8-10. Prince of this World requires dom of 7 or higher, August Lord requires 8. That's not very enlightening. the next one is a bit better: nature 4+ and max growth. Unsleeping God: nature 4+, male. Friend of the Dead: death 3+, nature 4+. Still nothing out of the ordinaty for this nation. Meh.

Vanheim: Samog, Keeper of Time, King of Volcanoes, Coopercaster of the Gods, Master of the Forest that Thirsts, Master of Air
Again, dom score 8-10. Keeper of Time: astral 9+. Oh! King of Volcanoes: fire and earth 4+ each. Coppercaster: earth 3+, fire 2+. Redundant. Forest that Thirsts: nature 4+, blood 4+. Master of Air: air 4+, duh. 🌈 Rainbow pretender powering up Van's sacreds with a cornucopia of bless effects. 🌈 Definitely the most interesting one so far.

Shinuyama: g how to win dominions 5, Master of Disease, Guardian of the Dead, Lord of Bricks
First two are death 4+, Lord of bricks: earth 2+, fire 2+. Dom score 4-7. Boring, next.

Nazca: Beeper, Star of the Sea, Prince of Water
Two titles again pointing to a low dom score, 2-5. Both titles unsurprisingly point to water 4+. Star of the Sea also need astral 4+, so there's that. Interesting because Nazca has no native access to water magic.

Phlegra: Mad Brit Disease, King of the Stony Ground, King of Writing and Speech
Again only two titles: dom score 2-5. Stony Ground: earth 4+, Writing and Speech: positive order, no sloth. Meh, only one left.

Pelagia:

He who Runs: water 3+, air 3+. Master of Mists: air 4+, water 1+. Messenger: air 3+. We can also the "the On" as another title. Couple of possibilities for this one: "the One Far Above" requires air 6+ which would fit with the rest. "the One who Contains Everything": dom 8+, earth 6. "the One Always at the Shoulder": death 4+. "the Oni": nation restricted, probably to Shinu. "the Once and Future King": nation restricted (id 37, whoever that is), not immobile, male. And finally, the most badass title (which I think isn't the one it is): "the One who Purifies Everyone by the very Utterance of His Name": dom 7+, growth 2 or 3, nature 6+.

tl;dr:
Ramc is absolutely right, this a lot of work for very little payoff. All we learned is that Ulm and Nazca use their pretender to try and break into nature and water respectively and the fact that Vanheim went with a rainbow pretender with heavy astral which will make Van's sacreds even more absurd.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Hans... are we the horrors?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Holy poo poo, Van's scales can't be very good with that level of bless right. :stare:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Corbeau posted:

Holy poo poo, Van's scales can't be very good with that level of bless right. :stare:

At the very bare minimum paths for that list of titles, and optimal pretender taken imprisoned, his pretender has -175 points, which means tanking scales at least 5 times. cold 3 is a no brainer for vanheim and reduces that number by 2, so the scales don't actually end up that bad. That having been said, anything taken beyond this is at least one more scale down the drain.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
please note that unless I'm mistaken vanheims god is actually named samog, keeper of time,

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

violent sex idiot posted:

please note that unless I'm mistaken vanheims god is actually named samog, keeper of time,

You are correct, according to the screenshot of the prophets.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
That makes a lot more sense; getting to a 9 on a rainbow is awfully painful.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Meaning the astral magic is a fakeout? That is pretty cool of them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

OK, that's actually pretty clever. And another reason why you shouldn't spend too much effort on figuring out the titles. :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

frankenfreak posted:

Ulm: Me Feed Ulmites, King of Kings, Lord of Poetry and Song, Lord of the Spring
The first one needs a male pretender with a dominion score of 5 or more, the second one Nature magic of 4+ on the pretender and order scales ">=65535" which is probably an off-by-one error and should be ">=0". The final title is Nature of 4+ and growth scale >=1. An interesting mechanic is that the dom score also determines how many titles a god has and this one has (just from the number of names) between 4 and 7. So we have a male pretender chassis with nature of at least 4, no turmoil and at least a bit of growth and a dom score between 5 and 7. Nature is something Ulm doesn't have easy access to, so that's interesting.

Isn't an Irminsul a pretty standard Ulm pretender, precisely to break into nature?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Irminsul is a very good chassis regardless.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Hahaha.

Torrannor posted:

Isn't an Irminsul a pretty standard Ulm pretender, precisely to break into nature?
Perfectly possible. I haven't played in probably 2+ years and was never exactly very knowledgeable about stuff anyway.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My favorite gimmick Ulm build was something I saw in the comments section of some youtube video. It was possible to take an awake svartalf mastersmith (the guy who has a linormr as his second form) with 4 in earth and 3 in every other path and still be able to afford growth 3 production 3. Gave you just enough research on the pretender to research alt1 for air shield and skeletal body in one turn, and could expand like crazy even outside your dominion, sitesearch, boost himself up to forge any item in the game, and teleport with a ring of returning and a crown of the magi to cast battlefield wipes and be guaranteed to survive and teleport home with these items intact because of the second form. Doesn't work anymore with the pretender price change, sadly.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

frankenfreak posted:

the second one Nature magic of 4+ on the pretender and order scales ">=65535" which is probably an off-by-one error and should be ">=0".

That potentially means ">=-1"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mod name, now

edit: If your chassis can move without casting spells you're a busta and also a basic bitch.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 26, 2019

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Mod name, now

edit: If your chassis can move without casting spells you're a busta and also a basic bitch.

Thrones.dm

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

restart the game with that ASAP and also the clown nation

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
its basically unplayable

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

yes we're aware it's an lp about dominions it says so right there in the thread title

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
This is gonna be a spicy LP alright

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kitfox88 posted:

clown nation

tell me more

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR00-z8Cn6o

namad
Nov 7, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

I also have a weird relationship with Dominions. I understand the basics, I understand concepts like how-to-thug and what spells are good for what. But when I comes to playing my brain defaults to DOOMSTACK and that is stupid and, bad.

Now days I just watch various LP's on YouTube in between DCSS ones. If you can get a full series it's pretty good to watch. I recommend GeneralConfusion and his friends; plus NuclearMonkee and the other goons when they can be hosed. I don't like DasTactic much because he just does single player and that is a world of difference to multiplayer strats.

Anyone else got any more suggestions for youtubers to watch play multiplayer dominions? The narration is good to have on in the background while I'm playing xcom or something. Also I agree das's dominions videos aren't very good because singleplayer dominions is just not interesting.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The tension between blobbing and spreading out is one of the more interesting choices in Dominion, especially with battlefield-wipes coming around in the late game. I think the most fun I ever had with Dominions was the Eriu almost-all-thugs game where I barely had a conventional army at all.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Mu posted:

INSTRUCTIONS:
DOWNLOAD >>> CLOWNS.RAR <<<
internally, ask yourself, "is this really a mod about clowns??"
extract the archive into your mods directory (C:\Users\fartlover69\AppData\Roaming\Dominions4\mods)
enable "Clowns" in the in-game modlist
out-loud whisper, "this is a mod about clowns..."
select KIRKOSTACULIS from the list of EARLY AGE NATIONs
post in the thread, "i can't believe you made a mod about clowns."

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 4.

Another quiet start.

Eriu declares their prophet and I don't really get the reference here either. The way Eriu's name is set up I think there is a good chance it is a Trinity deity which is a new thing in Dominions 5.

lol at queen of fraud and theft tho

Anyway on to the battle. In the Faraway Sea that is actually adjacent to our capital so it was probably named by someone not from around here.

Zooming out you can see our armies lined up.

haha yes kill! KILL!

Ichythids are normally pushovers. They throw some nets and their shaman casts numbness which gives minor fatigue but we basically roll them utterly.

It is well done. We lose one of the crappy militia.

map overview for start of turn. hey-hey its TC!

Here is the overview for T'ien C'hi. They did NOT do a Mulan name, utterly ruining the Disney theme here also note to self do Judge Frollo Marignon later.
They are played by Byrdman of whom I know to be a certainly present player and have no strong opinions on.

T'ien Chi, often referred to as TC for short, is a nation I would describe as aggressively average. They have troops that are slightly above average and if they were a hair cheaper would be great. They have good path diversity but their two big wizards, the Imperial Alchemist and the Celestial Master are capital only and competing for recruitment. You tend to have to lean on your armies and communions of your Imperial Geomancers that you can hire from other forts to communion up and drop meteors on your foes.

I have two forces moving into this province from two different provinces. Hitting 'y' on the targeted prov lets me see and arrange all the troops coming in which is a nice quality of life change for Dom5. I am having the mermage with nature magic bring them over so he can start searching for the fabled kelp fortresses every UW nation desires.

Recruitment. More horses and...

This fellow! Amber clan mages start F1W2 and have an additional level of either water, earth or nature. They are good for casting acid spells if that is your thing and can even lead a good chunk of troops. The downside is that they are aquatic and cannot freely go on land. They also start old or close to it.

These are my orders for the turn. Moving my army into the weird fish dude province down here and a shambler chieftain I hired is moving into the capital to help shuffle troops around. Mobility is always an issue for most UW nations.

MEANWHILE HOW ARE OTHER PEOPLE DOING lets check the channel.

quote:

Naksu
welp
that was a fast game

Byrdman
Did you forget to recruit on turn 2? Cause I forgot to recruit on turn 2

Naksu
no, i didn't expand on turn 1 because i needed my first expansion to succeed and then both armies retreated at the same time and my berserking black centaurs got left behind and all died and now it's turn 3 and i don't make enough money to get another army going until maybe turn 6 so i'm done
starting year 2 with 5 provs tops isn't worth playing

samog (it is worth noting in all chat quotes samog here is jsoh aka violentsexidiot not the 'real' forums user samog)
coward
ive expanded once, and i will nto be able to expand again for one million years because everything is a barbarian or fuckin dakr vines and poo poo
50 vine men/woodsmans , 90 vine men/woodsmans, 50 barbs, 50 horse tribe
never expand
at least transition to pure rp and do the bvc harpy thing .

how are u
a true coward naksu, shameful

samog
how are u is seeking to become censured for hypocrisy

how are u
wow

jsoh is C'tis and apparently expanding bad and Naksu is... Asphodel and also doing bad?

how bad could it-

oh my god hahah he went AI thats fantastic Asphodel can be semiaquatic

quote:

Naksu
@samog you can't reasonably expect me to want to play as asphodel a year behind everyone else in a game that takes 30+ hours per turn
it's not a question of "can i win" but "do i get to participate in the game" and the answer is no
if it was a blitz then sure whatever but i imagine the game would be at least two weeks of me not getting to play a real turn and then someone comes in and just walks into my cap because i still can't afford armies, forts or mages

Kremath
oof

samog
ive been locked in my own cap circle for 30 turns in less money !

Naksu
as a popkill nation?

Ganjdalf the Purple
.tag naksu more like asps-no-del

samogBOT
naksu: how are u, impossible coward, more like asph-no-del, foiled again

samog
well, i have like 15 negative scales so pretty much

Our first player gives into the pain and goes AI. The (very stupid) Dominions 5 AI will now be piloting Asphodel. There are no take-backsies for going AI. RIP to a real one.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

namad posted:

Anyone else got any more suggestions for youtubers to watch play multiplayer dominions? The narration is good to have on in the background while I'm playing xcom or something. Also I agree das's dominions videos aren't very good because singleplayer dominions is just not interesting.

GC: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRyuNpdX1JvvbHmgmCeehFw

Lucid: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzCBVSY0pYLVA8LC3VnRhrg

Nuclearmonkee: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkyMGj9FXGPFBk_c_ezK7eQ

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Be aware that most of Monkee's games are "I have many clever plans, for many events, and many people. Oh wait, people left the thrones unguarded! *Wins*"

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Donkringel posted:

Be aware that most of Monkee's Dominions games are "I have many clever plans, for many events, and many people. Oh wait, people left the thrones unguarded! *Wins*"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 4 AI is an extremely powerful strategy IMO.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Baby tossing should have been a national spell.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I feel like if you screw up early and can't win, you should keep playing just to keep someone else from winning. I.e. be a goon.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It's kind of understandable to get discouraged and feel like quitting when you have an early expansion disaster, I get that. But, by turn 4 there are still so many things up in the air that could break your way. You don't know if your neighbors are having just as bad luck as you. You don't know who you'll end up bordering, and how peaceful or warlike or vulnerable they are. It's really too early to throw in the towel.

And! If you do end up too far behind the curve to be an actual player in the game you get to be a tiny rump state until somebody conquers you. Playing a stunted empire of a handful of provinces and your capitol isn't bad at all. Turns take maybe 5 minutes, and you can play a fun game where you stack as much poo poo as you can in your cap focusing entirely on making life as miserable as possible for the guy who decides to come and finish you off!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

How are u posted:

and you can play a fun game where you stack as much poo poo as you can in your cap focusing entirely on making life as miserable as possible for the guy who decides to come and finish you off!
this is how i play crusader kings 2 when a big blob comes to gently caress me up

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

my dad posted:

Baby tossing should have been a national spell.

It wouldn't be hard to make a mod that has a Liu Bei hero with a baby toss attack.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
For those who don't know what we're talking about : Liu Bei was a warlord from the three kingdoms period, and hailed as a noble Confucian hero in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, a very old and very popular Chinese book about the era. Royal blood in his veins, yet the humble life of a shoemaker, rising to the call in China's time of need. Of course, in reality (and if you read between the lines in the book), he was a conman and a chronically backstabbing git who was mostly carried by the far more competent people he somehow blundered into.

When an enemy army had the place where Liu Bei's wife and baby son were in surrounded, one of Liu Bei's generals rode off on his own to rescue them, and actually managed to return safely with the son. Liu Bei tossed the baby head first on the ground with full force while complaining that the drat brat almost cost him a general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHQPFWWHyMU

Said kid grew up to be a very dumb dude (gee, I wonder why), ended up inheriting the kingdom, and pissing it all away, lol.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
If they were under Burden of Time parents everywhere would be tossing their babies.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

The SA Dominions community also doubles as the Three Kingdoms Appreciation Station in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To be entirely fair, they're playing a popkill nation, and might have boosted whatever effects Asphodel's popkill too (Presumably Death scales, over and above their normal effect? Don't recall for certain). So if they also had strong dominion, a catastrophic first expansion could leave them in a monetary death spiral before they can really recover and catch up, as their starting province dies off and their dominion expands and starts killing off nearby provinces too before they can even get their full benefits - especially if they dumped other income scales as well. So that's all stuff a normal nation that has a bad initial expansion doesn't have to deal with.

Also, drat this LP for making me recall I haven't played an MP game in 2 years now, and tempting me to get onto the new Discord channel (as it seems the SA community eventually moved off IRC?) and getting into a new one.